1. 17 Feb 2014. Looking for Conversation, Sports Bar, Tech Talk and the rest of the Apre topics?
    You must now register and be logged-in to view these topics. Registration is free and only takes a few minutes.
  2. The leaves are falling and so are our prices! Autumn Site wide Sale Starts NOW + 48 Hour Killer Deals!
    Check the deals at: Torpedo7

Winter Surf Thread

Discussion in 'Weather' started by parkmonkey, Jun 2, 2013.

parkmonkey

parkmonkey Old And Crusty Season Pass Holder

Been some good waves about, still surfing in boardies.

Jumped on the vanguard, goes like a rocket, paddles like a dream, went the 5'8" probable should have gone the 5'6". Doesn't feel at all like you are surfing such a small board. Fun board that can be surfed in a huge range of conditions and wave size.
    climberman

climberman Part of the Furniture Season Pass Holder

Too lazy to get in the water so far this w/end. Mebbe this arvo, some building work to do.
    parkmonkey

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/66160884" width="630" height="380" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>
    climberman

Looks like they love a bit of front foot ?
    parkmonkey

I've only had two surfs, one in pretty wind effect shoulder high surf and it went great and one in clean waist to shoulder high surf and i also went great. I haven't been overly surfing it different to my 6'3&quot; shortboard. Still trying to work it out, had a better surf in the junkie stuff and really nailed a couple turns and wasn't surfing so good the next morning.
    parkmonkey

I'm really excited about it, super keen just to be in the water surfing it.
    Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Dedicated Member

Nice work. That board looks particularly good on the roundhouse cutties. it could be the waves too. probably is. It just goes how strong the guys are on the WCT when Stu Kennedy rips like he does and can't make it, at least so far.

No waves for me. Sydney is bucketing, windy and cold. Motivation levels are low and I need to study. If it was half decent I'd do both but its bloody miserable out there.
    climberman

Fondled one at Gerringong this arvie. Nice. Lot of effective rail in a shortish board.

Gunna try a few waves at North Beach.
    FourSquare04

FourSquare04 Dedicated Member

I was in the water this morning just before the southerly kicked in - there were a few nice, but inconsistent 2-3ft sets from the South coming through but the wind coupled with sheets of stinging rain got me and most of the crew in pretty quickly
    climberman

Quick 40 mins in the water... feels like its dropped a bit in temp since last week.

3'+ on the sets. Fun.
    Angus_McCrory

Angus_McCrory Part of the Furniture

Pumping. Cleaned up a lot since yesterday but still marginal as far as my ability level is concerned. Plenty of very solida overheads at Maroubra this morning. Bondi, too open and the swell too straight, so close out city.

If the swell eases a bit tomorrow I'll be in like Flynn.
    blutek

blutek Dedicated Member

(Off Topic)

[​IMG]

Jack used to surf at Nth Steyne back in the '60's when his parents had the t/a shop opposite the surf club. He's got a board factory in Nth Burleigh making boards like these:
    5'8&quot; x 20 1/8&quot; - quad + tri
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
    FourSquare04

Looks similar to my 6'2&quot;
    shark

shark Addicted Member

He's a well respected shaper blutek. I've had him repair my boards, never ridden one of his though. Like most shapers will talk your ear off about shaping give him half the chance.
    PiniPowPow

PiniPowPow Dedicated Member

Was up in Noosa for the weekend for a mates wedding, scored some really nice waves at Boiling Pot all the way down to First Point. +1 was off me for being in the water the whole trip!
    FourSquare04

Just had a few short period 3ft+ waves out the front, not spectacular by any means, more of a fitness paddle than anything.......
    Angus_McCrory

Yep, woke up at 5:30 with the intention for driving to Garie for an uncrowded surf... check weather, wind was from the SE so went back to bed.....

Tomorrow is big bike ride day (Sydney to Kiama) so might try and have a paddle on Monday.
    FourSquare04

I wouldn't call it pumping but I just had one of the best surfs I've had in a while, next beach south, loads of fun 2-3 footers coming through - A1 conditions. Clean, glassy water. Nice, gentle offshore blowing - great way to start the day [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
    Angus_McCrory

Rode push bike to Kiama this morning and past every friggin beach between Stanwell Park and Kiama I was wishing I'd gone for a surf. Best break was a very nice peak at the north end of Bombo.
    Angus_McCrory

And was definately bigger earlier. Stuff around Coalcliff at about 8:00 am was quite juicy.
    parkmonkey

Went for a paddle at evans head, was pretty shit surf but never been before and a nice little spot
    Angus_McCrory

Fun session at Garie this morning. some nice peaks up to head high and occasional bigger lines rolling through. Seemed to die quite a bit when the tide peaked. Water still warm but the air temp much cooler today.
    FourSquare04

Just had a fun mid-low tide sesh on the local stretch.

Looked to have dropped a little and definitely more inconsistent today but when the sets came they were rather enjoyable in you were in the right spot [​IMG]
    parkmonkey

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/67886627" width="630" height="380" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>
    FourSquare04

That looks so fun PM
    Belly

Belly Dedicated Member

South of Batemans was waist to shoulder at best for whole weekend, definitely suffer's from swell shadow effect in south swells
    Belly

Belly Dedicated Member

Studying the charts from a swell perspective the next 10+ days look very dynamic for the east coast
    gareth_oau

gareth_oau Old And Crusty Season Pass Holder

looks brilliant. I'm sure some people here would love to participate!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
    parkmonkey

Belly

Belly Dedicated Member

Or pointless
    Donza

Donza Old And Crusty Season Pass Holder

Looks f..king awesome.
    Angus_McCrory

Originally was a body surfing spot.... know to have broken a few necks. All take off and not much else.
    parkmonkey

Got pumping waves this morning, only a couple out going back after lunch, taking a couple of cameras hopefully still on and not to crowded.
    Donza

Still is.
    They had a big revolt a few years back.
    10 a.m. to 5 p.m. from May 1 through Oct. 31 surfing devices are blackballed at the wedge.
    This is epic. Better wedge.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
    Belly

Belly Dedicated Member

I like a good wedge, but some need to be makeable
    Donza

Kiama is fun as...love that wave.
    blutek

blutek Dedicated Member

Copa shorebreak can have a nasty shutdown barrel onto sand.
    FourSquare04

Swell appears to have built into the 6ft+ range.....just saw a few rogue sets pushing close to the 8ft range at Dee Why point.
    cqen2l

cqen2l Addicted Member

Massive sets at mid Curl Curl this morning as well.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
    Belly

Belly Dedicated Member

What a weekend!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

My pics aren't great, discovered my real camera is broken [​IMG] but will upload some phone one's tonight, was too tired last night [​IMG] .... I'm sure it's still pumping today
    Belly

Belly Dedicated Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    VSG

VSG Old And Crusty Season Pass Holder

Moruya?
    FourSquare04

Looks pretty fun out there Belly.

I scored some fun 3-4 foot beachies on Sunday, couple of cover ups [​IMG]
    PiniPowPow

PiniPowPow Dedicated Member

Oh that looks fun. Any luck with the river mouth?
    Belly

Belly Dedicated Member

Of course VSG...

Heaps of south in the swell on Sat so Wall was super fun, had a 10-12ish surf with about 20+ others [​IMG] , still, managed to snag a half a dozen or so good ones. Swell progressively straightened from the SE all day and on the dusk surf there was comfortable overhead+ bombs, I was feeling a little outgunned by both my 6'2&quot; fish and the 'real' locals (I'm probably becoming semi-local [​IMG] ).

On Sat the rivermouth was a rippy mess, generally it needs consecutive days of swell to clean up the bank, Sunday I surfed the rivermouth as every set at the Wall on Sun morning was overhead+ as swell continued to straighten. It was still rippy but manageable and pretty sizey in it's own right. Got 3 or 4 'feelers' and then managed 2 sweet point-beach rides, I was frothing [​IMG] but tired and Judd went missing [​IMG] so game-over... Judd came back though [​IMG]
    Angus_McCrory

Looks awesome. Was considering a hike to South Era on the weekend as it would have been protected from strong southerly swells. Most places up here were unmanagable and out of my league anyway. Bare Island (la Peruse) was crowded on Sunday [​IMG]
    FourSquare04

This S swell just keeps on keeping on.......Still around 3ft this morning on the local stretch and a few fun ones coming through.
    blutek

blutek Dedicated Member

Off Topic (Air travel)

Just noticed Jetstar has a new flight to Lombok from Perth
    Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Dedicated Member

I don't know the spots south of maroubra but I've often wondered. There'd have to be at least 5km of coast till you hit the entrance to Botany Bay - there must be some half decent spots.

Surfed Bondi today and North Steyne yesterday. today was 2 foot blah blah not very good and then every 15 minutes or so a sucky dredgy close out 4 foot set would arrive, clean up the line up except me who had his clean up set radar on and managed to juuuuuuuust sneak under the 3 foot wide lip. I'm sure if one of those landed on my back it'd break.

Anyway, I didn't really get any decent waves either day.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
    Angus_McCrory

Era is in the Royal National Park, so an hour drive followed by a 30 minute walk in (45 mins out as all up a friggin big hill). Stop at lookout on the way into Garie and if okay backtrack to the car park for the track to Era &amp; Burning Palms.

Really is bugger all between Maroubra and Botany Bay. I've seen waves at Long Bay at Malabar in a strong SE swell but never fancied chancing a paddle next to the poo works. Bare Island a novelty wave in strong ESE swells and that is about it.