Who's had turns this winter?

Discussion in 'Backcountry Trip Reports' started by AndrewA, Jul 4, 2017.

1. AndrewA

AndrewA Well-Known Member

So, telecommuter seems to have managed a few scratchy turns on Bogong - who else has managed anything useful yet?

A

2. snowgum

snowgum Dedicated Member

Nah! Needs snow (half decent) to do that.

3. teckel

teckel Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

[​IMG]

Chaeron likes this.
  4. Gimp

Gimp Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Early tuna tempter, nudder since, enjoying warm weather up north, next week will get some done.

5. Simplicius

Simplicius Active Member

just got home AndrewA, top areas are looking mint, had a solid several turns in cairn gully this morning in a 2minute hole of blue sky then it was back to whiteout, many aspects are lumpy and thin but there is fun to be had. oh and the saw in Michelle needs a new blade.

6. AndrewA

Oh well, given that I recall you carted the block splitter up there ( I'm correct, aren't I?), I'm sure I can cart a saw blade up, but prolly not going to get there until mid-August. Anyone recall what length blade it needs? If not, can just buy a new saw, and bring the old one out.

As to skiing, was that literally a solid "several" turns, or a few more? Can you ski to the bottom of tombstone yet? And, just to give me some perspective, what was the snow like at the Eskdale/Granite Flat spur junction? Anything skiable off the side of Eskdale?

At my age, I'm not interested in skiing in white outs. Over the years, many of my early season trips up B have just turned out to be "hardeners" - walk up, plonk tent up in snow, sleep, wake to white out, walk to top, hope for a view, see nothing, go back down, picking up tent on the way.

A

7. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

I've had some turns inbounds at Perisher before stuff has opened.

8. AndrewA

Yes. I think that is the issue - better skiing before the season started! But nice to see that Simplicus had the guts to go up Bogong for some early season turns. I'm surprised there are no reports from the Main Range yet.

9. jonathanc

jonathanc Well-Known Member

The Elevator was ridden a few weeks ago...

10. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Mister Tee on snow shoes Dedicated Member

It looks likely that I will go up the NW spur on Mt. FT to MUMC hut on Monday week , July 17th and hike out on Tuesday 18th July.Weather and visibility permitting I 'll return via the Bungalow spur.