Mega Thread Where is this? (No 11)

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Alex.C, Jun 15, 2007.

Gimp

Gimp Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

But does the water COME from Bluff Knoll?

sbm

sbm Dedicated Member Season Pass Silver

Only whitewater I've heard of in WA is the coincidentally-named Murray River?

Kletterer

Kletterer Addicted Member Season Pass Gold

Is that granite ?

Rabid K9

Rabid K9 Dedicated Member Season Pass Silver

Default answers for ninety nine percent of eastern staters and ninety eight percent of WA's population for anything west of Natimuk.

Hill, east of Port Augusta - Bluff Knoll.

River, any, water colour, vegetation, geology irrelevant - Swan... Avon at a push.

Gorge, again geology entirely irrelevant - Kalbarri, although that involves entertaining complex thought processes that there is another watercourse other than Swan.

Coastline - the stretch of abused sandunes and limestone reefs north of Perth. Nigaloo at a stretch, although this vast leap only evolved along with the mining boom.

Island - Rottnest, who would go anywhere else, it's too windy.

Climbing - West Cape Rage, but most West Aussies are shit scared of anything higher than a couch, so who would go there either. Wilyabrup, only if your going on a wine tour and trying to look adventurous. Jeep Wranglers don't make you look adventurous.

Tree - why would you look at them anyway.

See above, not the WA Murray, salt laden bogan drain, with a nice section or two.

Yes, is indeed, very coarse, but than again nearly everything whitewaterable is in the SW.

sbm

Second guess: FrankLAND river.

Rabid K9

Very good. The WA Frank is also a wicked multi day trip. But although close, it's not the the Frankland.

Kletterer

Warren River ?

ecowain

ecowain Dedicated Member

Anything on the Deep?

Rabid K9

Another good guess, very similar type of rapid to the upper Deep, but it's not that river either. Deep is also a good multi-day trip in higher water, some exceptional forest scenery.

sbm

I was idly going through the list of rivers in the Great Southern region of WA and checking out google earth, a lot of them have pretty steep gradients and a lot of bedrock visible on the satellite pics - a surprising amount of big rapids when the rains come I reckon!

Latest guess @Rabid K9 : Fitzgerald river. 324m drop over 80km is on par with the Tassie Franklin. Seems the biggest catchment in the area. Has its own national park and looks spectacular.

:thumbs: Rabid K9 likes this.
    Rabid K9

Not bad, but the Fitzgerald is a fair way east. Certainly has it's values the Fitzgerald Biosphere, comparing it physically to the Franklin might be a big stretch though.

Vegetation tends to be the big mongrel with our wet / dry Mediterranean climate, colonisers get a chance to establish in the river channels. Gradient tends to be stepped, long flat sections through the low inland plateau followed by short sections of whitewater where the rivers drops to the coast. On the Capes coast (known for it's surf), I've got three steepish little class 2-3 creeks within 15 min on home that I have to look hard to find anyone to paddle with during winter, all of which are paddled out to the ocean, which is fun. We had just over 1300mm of rain in 2016 (slightly above long term average, well above the post 2000 average) which helped the land heal a little after the twelve months of summer that was 2015, where we just scraped over 800mm.

The Darling Scarp still has a few sections of whitewater where a number of rivers cut down to the coastal plain (more well known), although damming for water supply cacti'd most of them. Also entails going nearer to Mandurah and Perth to paddle them, which is a strong deterrent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:thumbs: DJM likes this.
    sbm

Some excellent looking stuff there! I had no idea WA had so much whitewater paddling!

Whitewater is fantastic - honestly high water rapids are the closest thing to bottomless powder skiing - but I stopped getting after in in Australia. It rains hard enough for the rivers to run like four times a year. Too bad if it's midweek and you have work. Then the river has sketchy strainers and debris everywhere, because if it's paddleable here, by definition it's pretty much flood level. You lack confidence, and bluntly lack skills as well, because the last time you paddled was 3 months ago and you simply can't train often enough to make Class 4 properly manageable. Also there's like 20 whitewater kayakers in the whole state, and you always seem to end up going with the guy who's a bit of an ******* and you don't really like (have fun on the 4 hour drive!), and the guy who is a bit unfit and never bothered to learn how to roll.

The guy that got me in to paddling, moved to Colorado with his US passport. He paddles whitewater after work on the river that runs through town, and does high quality class 5 runs on the weekend with a huge crew of strong paddlers 1 hour away on sealed roads. F&ck him.

You could make that work in Canberra - midweek runs on the Murrumbidgee, then the upper Shoalhaven/Snowy/Murry/Digbee etc within a few hour's drive.

:thumbs: Rabid K9 likes this.
    sbm

Back to the game. 4th time's the charm: Shannon River?

Rabid K9

Or theres Tassie.... only about 200 rivers within 200km.... weisswasser paradise!!

Rabid K9

Not the well forested Shannon, unfortunately low gradient.

sbm

Unfortunately I reckon I'm done. Google earth & maps seems to have a shocking amount of incorrect or missing data for waterways in the area (it's always been bad), I got no more ideas.

I can keep guessing, but I would just be listing everything off the "Rivers Of Western Australia" wikipedia article.

:thumbs: ecowain likes this.
    Rabid K9

Any raises on SBM?

Fairly close with the Frankland.

VSG

VSG Pool Room Season Pass Gold

Unlike the river our responses have dried up. :)

Rabid K9

Evaporated in the summer furnarse?

Rabid K9

Evaporated in the summer furnarse?

GS

GS Addicted Member Season Pass Gold

Dug out an older digital map but anything smaller than a river is only shown as a watercourse....no names :mad:.

Is it east or west of the Frankland?

Kletterer

The Kent ?

Rabid K9

Yes, yes, we have a winner. Is indeed the Kent, beautiful little river system flowing into it's own wetland complex, which then feeds into the Irwin Inlet, which flows out at Peaceful Bay.

:thumbs: Kletterer and ecowain like this.
    Kletterer

Whats the creek?

Rabid K9

Blue Lake Creek?

Kletterer

Not Blue Lake creek.

Rabid K9

Club Lake Creek?

Kletterer

Not Club Lake Creek.

Telestrom

Telestrom Addicted Member

Swampy Plains Creek?

Kletterer

No.

Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

Windy Creek?

Kletterer

No.

Legs Akimbo

Is it actually called a creek, or could it be called a river? It looks like the Tooma or Tumut Rivers.

Kletterer

It is named a creek. Not Tooma or Tumut.

Legs Akimbo

Happy Jacks?

Kletterer

Not Happy Jacks.

Rabid K9

Carruther's Creek?

It's a lovely alpine stream regardless of it's name.

skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture Moderator Season Pass Gold

Twynam Creek

Kletterer

:thumbs: Thats it. At the plain around 1820mtr elevation. Hedley is over the ridge far right (terminal morain visible spilled over top of ridge). No track here but a direct line back to Charlottes.

:thumbs: skifree likes this.
    Rabid K9

An easy one from the days when I had a soul....

[​IMG]

GS

Tas? Lake St Clair?

Rabid K9

That was quick. Very good. Towards north end of Lake St Clair, ferrying track materials up to staging point at Narcissus delta, to then be heli'd into Kia Ora and Pelion Gap areas on the Oberland.

GS

You did say it was easy :)

That said, the prominent peak looked like Ida and is forever etched in my memory after waking up at Echo Point on a crystal clear frosty May morning and seeing it across the lake.

Pic soon

Rabid K9

Yes its a distinctive peak Miss Ida. Have had some climbing epics on the south east buttress up there. From the safety of the lake it looks solid, up there it's a glacially abused terror of loose rock.

GS

Rabid K9

Tas. Tasman National Park? In the Tasman Arch area?

Rabid K9

Actually can I rescind that and go with my first thought, Maria Island, west side of Cliffe de Fossile'?

:thumbs: skifree likes this.
    GS

Always trust the instinctive first thought!

Correct.

I was intrigued by the cloud that often shrouds Bishop and Clerk, and across to Mt Maria, quite a spectacle.

Rabid K9

Yet another Tassie gem is Maria.

Rabid K9

A bloody river, again....

[​IMG]