Question When will the road to PV be open do you think??

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Moondog55, Oct 10, 2016.

Moondog55

Moondog55 Active Member

Need to go in and retrieve my shattered tents and the pot belly stove.
    Made two attempts so far and been blown away by the weather both times so now I'll wait until the gate is unlocked and drive in.

:thumbs: ladycamper likes this.
    Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Dedicated Member

not sure Moondog....when it melts..somebody on forum skied into PV last weekend so they may be able to tell you what depth of snow remains out there....

Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

The road itself is open but not really passable to PV yet. Easy 4wd to the Ruined Castle carpark today. Should be less than a week off being passable through to PV.

Moondog55

Moondog55 Active Member

I'll be up next W/E then Many thanks Hully
    If I need to put the chains on I will

BillyKidd

BillyKidd Well-Known Member

Thought the stove and all had already been taken out. How did you end up with the Parks people etc?

Ubiquitous Steve

The war.... the Germans ....oh don't mention the Parks..:cry:
    remember the road via Mackay Saddle is sometimes more go able than the direct route...Bears have often got in this way before anybody broke thro the snow drift up high on roadway...

Moondog55

Moondog55 Active Member

Parks and I got on well during the season but that will change if I leave a tent up there. It was buried under 3 metres of snow and impossible to dig out
    Thanks for the reminder Steve and I'll do my usual clean up of the hut grab my axe etc and take some rubbish down at the same time
    I might offer the parks a few double glazed window panels we have left -over from the renovations Easy enough to put them in the ute and bring them up with me

:thumbs: ladycamper and BillyKidd like this.
    Ubiquitous Steve

hope all goes well...it would have been an advantage had u been there over during winter..
    all best recovering gear shortly...2017 winter will be a better one for you....
    Parks are showing positive signs now and again..Team Bears do believe they have turned the corner in relation to visitor useage.....

Moondog55

Moondog55 Active Member

Well Parks don't want any help with building materials and I have got all these double glazed panels left over sitting here, better build a sleepout to use them up
    Parks called me and let me know the road was still blocked by the big drift and not to waste petrol money for another week or so; which was nice of them
    2017 I get to ski for half price Makes me feel old

BillyKidd

Half price? Take it when you can!:D

weerab

weerab Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

I have been half price for two seasons now, depressing in a a strange way!

BillyKidd

snowplough

snowplough Active Member

Folks,
    Both the Pretty Valley and the McKay roads are blocked with drifts as of yesterday (Thursday Oct 27th).
    The roads are still very soft and prone to damage from vehicle usage. Have already seen large ruts in the McKay roads
    Gates on Pretty Valley Road at AGL Corner and Road 24 will remain shut for this weekend.
    I'd doubt that either passage to Pretty Valley will be passible for at least another week or two until the drifts are cut and the roads cleared.
    Cheers

Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

Which gate are you referring to as AGL corner?

Moondog55

Moondog55 Active Member

First big turnaround corner where the big machinery shed is, the first boom after the Mackay turnoff
    I'm coming up on Monday

Moondog55

Moondog55 Active Member

My brother and I just came back from Pretty Valley after retrieving my broken gear.
    What is it about people that they can't tell the difference between a rubbish bag and a recycling bag?
    We took 4 bags of rubbish from the hut back down to Falls Creek, all mixed up in clearly marked 4-Site recycling bags mixed in with the glass/steel cans etc, stinking rotten food scraps and babies disposable nappies.
    The road has only been open a few days and already the morons seem to have taken over
    This is on top of finding the sealed plastic drums with all my gear had been opened and the contents strewn all over the camping area, looks like I'm missing an old Swiss army sleeping bag and the Cherry Ripes and Snickers/Mars bars gone along with the few fuel canisters I had in there as well.
    I can't be bothered reporting the theft to the local police, they simply can't be bothered with petty crimes and do not have the wherewithal to investigate even if they were interested
    Steve I have your little kindling splitter, I didn't trust leaving it there, I can get it back to you or I can take it back to the hut next winter, just let me know which you prefer

Ubiquitous Steve

jeez your getting a rough deal up there...

hang on too wood splitter and return with it next season..

its unfortunate that we cannot leave stuff up there as it goes disappearing...

I reckon you should try to set up at Ryders Huts next year....you might have to trundle stuff in there on bunnings trolley past management gate or wheel barrow but your gear would be safer...till snow melts.....

also the little pricks have massive campfires and use all of PV Huts wood...some small bbqs are ok but the little blighters don't feel it necessary to resupply the firewood..though there probably was a good supply left even after winter..

Ubiquitous Steve

yes my dealings with Lower Stoneytops Campsite where I cut the grass back with wiper snipper only to reveal bottles cans and disgarded batteries and the dreaded disposable nappies...and people crapping much to close to the little creek...

a small no of folk don't deserve to camp in these areas as they have no regard for the environment or for others that come later...
    and they also leave tent pegs(steel) around so its a potential hazard for vehicle tyres...

I might say that the regular deer hunters and doggers up there are very responsible and keep the place immaculate...perhaps a Mt Bike and a small trailer to tow along would work...

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    BillyKidd

May I suggest a 12g shotgun might be usefully employed on these f- wits. Surely there is an open season and it is healthy to cull the herd on occasion. :D

ladycamper

ladycamper Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

It's heartbreaking reading this. Totally senseless destruction.

Moondog55

Moondog55 Active Member

Well not much has been stolen, my axe, an old Swiss army sleeping bag, a few gas canisters and the MSR Pocket Rocket stove, a pair of cheap googles [ ALDI] and my big stainless cup but not its lid
    Steve I think I may also have one of your barrels as there was a big blue barrel [ empty] at the hut which I brought home with me
    Downsizing for next year so I can drag it all in and take it home as soon as I stop skiing

Ubiquitous Steve

cool...maybe set up on wooded hilltop that overlooks the the track and causeway to Cope Saddle...that is close by the metal barrier...

havenot been into the wooded little hill top but I reckon it could be good if u find a spot on the eastern side in lee of prevailing westerly winds...

chriscross

chriscross Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

Unbelievable! Sorry to read this news MD. There are some low lives out there who have no idea, possibly local bogans, perhaps?

BillyKidd

Opportunist scum.

snowgum

snowgum Dedicated Member

What is it with Aussie's BC visitors? (ESP. Bur not limited to the 4WD set of which I gues I'm one)

So little care for the bush, the huts, flora and fauna, PV rangers or other users?

... I feel a little like 'Treebeard' in LOTR, discovering Sauraman was cutting down all his tree friends!

ladycamper

FCRM? We know their views on long term backcountry camping and their being part of a plan to wipe out free backcountry camping. After an encounter I had with one of their glorified paper shufflers, nothing would surprise me.

BillyKidd

Yep. So true. Schmucks!

Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

I really doubt this....I am definitely not on the FCRM Christmas card list, but hardly think that they would be involved in vandalising and stealing from a campsite and particularly since it was located outside of the resort.

ladycamper

I had an encounter with one of their glorified paper shufflers, it was not pleasant and they've tried to throw their weight around.

neilmny

neilmny Active Member

What was the confrontation about ladycamper?

ladycamper

Happened during my summer stay several years ago in an FCRM property near the top of the village on the mountain whilst part of a conservation project. I'd been sent packing over a trivial dispute. The annual project linked to DEPI and PV receives a number of in-kind benefits from FCRM and my trivial instance/s of alleged misconduct managed to ruffle not only a paper shufflers feathers but some others too.

BillyKidd

Them's good feathers to be ruffling!! Should be a sport :D

:thumbs: neilmny and ladycamper like this.