USA 2017 - 2018 Trip Plans/Thoughts/Review

Discussion in 'United States' started by absentskier, Apr 27, 2017.

1. tr+h

tr+h Dedicated Member

2. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

oldgeezer likes this.
  3. chunky

chunky Old And Crusty

Anyone bought a new samsung or iphone in the us rather than here when they do their usa trip? They look to be cheaper even with exchange rate difference?

4. tr+h

tr+h Dedicated Member

No

5. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

No but I have looked into it. If you're considering it make sure you look at what 3G and 4G bands the phone uses to make sure it's compatible with all Australian networks. For example a Samsung S5 sold in the USA is NOT the same as a Samsung S5 sold in Australia because they use different bands.

6. chunky

chunky Old And Crusty

Ooh I wouldn't have thought of that thanks.

7. PeterM

PeterM Just Registered

Haphazardly we booked for a trip to the States over the weekend (Dec26-Jan24)... My wife likes to make quick decisions, i dont recall what happend but somehow we were at the checkout page and she had my credit card in her hand...

Flying into SF (via HK with Cathay) doing about 9 days in the States and then flying to Belize for about 2 weeks for some diving. Should we hire a car and go to Tahoe/Mammoth or get a plane (velocity point flight) and go to SLC and use the bus to the 4 SLC resorts.

Pete.

8. silva

silva Active Member

So you are planning to ski over the xmas/new year holiday break in the US. It will be a busy time so I would choose one of the less accessible mountain destinations and fly there and enjoy - Telluride, Big Sky, Jackson hole, Whitefish, there are lots to choose from. If I had to choose between Tahoe/Mammoth and SLC I would probably go with whichever I could get the best deal at.

9. PeterM

PeterM Just Registered

Yea wife is a teacher, its the only time we can go away. Normally we would go to Japan, but not next year it would seem...

Cool i will keep that in mind. We actually when to Whitefish on our 7 week summer road trip (car camping) last year, awesome hill, heaps of berries to eat whilst hiking.

So in terms of a deal at SLC, do many hotels offer reasonable packages?

10. silva

silva Active Member

I'm not an expert on SLC - I am sure some of the regulars will know the best deals there though. We are headed to Whitefish in Jan. Would love to get there in summer for mountain biking at some stage. Whatever hill you decide on I am sure you will have a fantastic time. Unfortunately over the new year break it is not really an option to just wait to see who has the best snow.

11. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

SLC is a proper city, so it has proper city things. It is not a tourist destination, so won't be too busy because of Xmas/New Year. The suburb Sandy is nearest to the entrance to Little Cottonwood Canyon, where Alta and Snowbird are.

PeterM likes this.
  12. chunky

chunky Old And Crusty

ANyone have ideas on car GPS I can get here in Australia with US maps or buy online that is a reliable model? Renting it looks like you pay stupid prices.

13. absentskier

absentskier Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

We bought a very basic tom tom unit from Walmart for something like US$80. Perfect.

14. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

I would think that you can buy a North American map set for any brand of GPS. I did for a Tom Tom a few years ago. IRC it was about $50. Or buy when you arrive.

15. PeterM

PeterM Just Registered

You can cache google maps for America for free, it expires every 60 days. Just have to download it in sections, but offline navigation works a treat!

16. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I bought a Tom Tom for here and can buy USA maps to load onto it.

17. chunky

chunky Old And Crusty

Thank you. Will need to organise beforehand to ease the arrival as we are coming in late so won't have time to go looking for one on night of arrival. I didnt know about the google maps thing. I will look at the tom tom option as well.

18. PeterM

PeterM Just Registered

Car camped around the states for 7 weeks last year, used cached google maps the whole time!

19. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Where are you headed @chunky?

20. chunky

chunky Old And Crusty

First planned non ski trip. Tentative itinerary is LA -> Sequoia/Kings Canyon -> San Fran -> Yosemite, Tioga Pass -> June Lake, Mono Lake, Bode -> Mammoth Lake Region to explore -> LA. Tried to fit Utah in to do the Narrows and contemplated Angel's Landing but not enough time.

oldgeezer and chicski like this.
  21. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Nice, when are you going?

22. chunky

chunky Old And Crusty

October for the autumn colours.

oldgeezer and chicski like this.
  23. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Active Member

A bit like me and SWMBO @chunky, except back east.

I had hoped it would be a road trip from NYC up through NY into Ontario ending in Chicago but a friend in the travel business cautioned us against it. It would have meant driving from NYC and attempting a road crossing back into the US in the mid west, which can take all day for aliens apparently, with Trump's enhanced border processing.

Still there shall be some local rentals and although most rentals have satnav included I always take my Tomtom (with Nth American maps) as I know how it works and how to interpret the audio directions in conjunction with the screen display.

Travel these days is non-skiing but we shall have a few days at Intrawest's Ontario ski resort and hope there are some good walking trails either in resort or nearby.

chunky likes this.
  24. chunky

chunky Old And Crusty

Awesome. We did contemplate the east side but the sale was more cost effective for us flying into California. I imagine autumn in the east would have some real glorious colours.

oldgeezer likes this.
  25. Beerman

Beerman Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Yes it does!!

chunky likes this.
  26. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Active Member

It will help that we are using QF points for Business on Cathay Pacific going (from Sydney to JFK via Hong Kong) and emptying out the Aeroplan air miles in 1st on ANA from Chicago to Haneda Tokyo then Business to Sydney. I'm still a tad disappointed about abandoning the road trip idea, was really looking forward to that.

27. MarzNC

MarzNC Just Registered

What kind of hotel package are you thinking about? The SLC SuperPass is available for multi-day lift tickets that are good at Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, or Brighton (one each day) at some hotels, as well as online if enough days. Plenty of relatively inexpensive but decent motels in SLC. While getting around via public transport is possible, renting a 2WD can be reasonable. Then it's much easier to add in sightseeing or get farther away from the Christmas crowds by heading up to the Ogden Valley to ski Snowbasin and/or Powder Mountain.

As for GPS, if you have a working smartphone, using Waze is the best around metropolitan areas.

I would choose SLC over Tahoe during Christmas vacation.

PeterM likes this.
  28. PeterM

PeterM Just Registered

We booked an Airbnb, was like 650 AUD for 8 nights, but we might change that booking because we have a friend who knows someone at Park City. Will probably rent a car for a couple of days as i would like to hit SnowBasin and Powder Mt. I know its going to be busy, but good to know that it was the better choice of the 2. Ended up getting point flights from SA to SLC, $4.0 in taxes!

29. MarzNC

MarzNC Just Registered

Don't know about during the Christmas holidays, but usually makes more sense money-wise to rent a car for a week instead of just a couple days. The amount of time it can take to ride buses from SLC up the canyons can add up. Perhaps not so bad in the morning, but would be less fun at the end of the day. If staying in Park City, that's a completely different story. Can do a day trip to Alta/Snowbird via a shuttle bus. Used to be a bus to Snowbasin too but renting a car might be cheaper depending on the number of people.

Powder Mountain is guaranteed not to be busy. They limit not only the number of season passes, they also limit the number of day tickets sold. Actually reducing the limit by several hundred for 2017-18 compared to the previous season. It pays to buy in advance online at least a day or two early. You don't want to make the drive only to be shut out at the ticket window. With 7000 acres and only a few thousand people, easy to find open space.

Once school is out, Solitude is probably less busy than Brighton in terms of where locals go during the holidays. Most adult powder hounds without kids will stay home until after Jan. 1.

PeterM likes this.
  30. B-Dub

B-Dub Just Registered

Well the trip is booked...

A couple of nights in San Fran before 6 days in Tahoe City. Mrs B Dub is still relatively new to the snow, loves wide cruisey blue runs but seems to be a bit daunted by Squaw. There seems a few that fit the bill at Homewood but does anyone have any intel of which Squaw runs fit the "cruisey blue" criteria?

Also, the NBA schedule just got released and there's a couple of Golden State Warriors games while we're in San Fran which means a very happy B Dub!