USA 2017 - 2018 Trip Plans/Thoughts/Review

Discussion in 'United States' started by absentskier, Apr 27, 2017.

1. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member

Went with the airbnb near Breck, in the Baldy rd area. On the bus route so kids can come and go as they please. Thanks for the feedback :) Oh and Hilton Home2Suites in SLC. Will have to commute each day but it's peak prices and only a week.

2. kimberlee81

kimberlee81 Dedicated Member

What a very fine mountain it must be!

3. absentskier

absentskier Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Rental skis?

Zeroz likes this.
  4. Wardy

Wardy Well-Known Member

Loving some of the season pass prices I'm seeing for kids and juniors. Especially if you're 10 days or more anywhere. JH for example...

5. absentskier

Season Pass Gold

Yeah US$200 for a season pass for a 14 year old at Jackson is very good.

6. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Some of them are great. I paid ~US$200 for an under 18 season pass at Telluride a few years ago. My impression of Jackson is that they do not discount as much as many other places, but I could be wrong.

7. absentskier

Season Pass Gold

Expensive adult passes. Because they can I guess. And not a lot of competition close by either.

8. absentskier

Season Pass Gold

9. absentskier

Season Pass Gold

Want to get there one day.

[​IMG]

10. absentskier

Season Pass Gold

These are from visittelluride.com

[​IMG]

11. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member

Ditched the road trip idea, because it looked like a lot of driving for the only driver, me. And kids were a bit meh about the whole thing. So we have 3 nights in San Francisco, then fly to Denver and airbnb at Breck for 3 and a bit weeks.

I have booked an airport hotel at SF for convenience, and can get a better room for the price (need 3 beds). Will I regret this? Should we be staying in the city instead? Might hire a car for a day and go for a drive to Monterey and the coast.

12. Legs Akimbo

Season Pass Gold

The airport is a bit out of town although it has a BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) connection to the city. I have stayed at Fisherman's Wharf (tourist traps) and near Union Sq (shopping).

Definitely head down to Monterey. Some other thoughts.

13. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member

Yes we stayed at Fisherman's Wharf last time, so we've been to Alcatraz etc. Haven't been to Sausalito, so will look into that one. The biggie is 3 beds, I really don't want to pay for 2 rooms. Many, many years ago I worked at Big Sur for a few months, had my photo taken with some dude that went on to become mayor of Carmel (made my day). I really wanted to revisit the area but the road has been cut :(

Fozzie Bear likes this.
  14. MarzNC

MarzNC Just Registered

Like you in what way? Are you hoping to meet someone who could be a ski buddy? Want to talk about skiing all through dinner? In that case, staying at one of the lodges at Alta is very good for that. Solo travelers who want to spoil themselves stay at GMD, Peruvian, or Alta Lodge, which each have a cozy bar where guests can mix with a few locals who hang out for a while before heading down the canyon road. GMD is right next to the base of the Collins and Wildcat lifts, and the Wildcat parking lot. The Rustler has dorm beds too but feels more like an upscale hotel. Snowpine will be closed for major renovations for the 2017-18 season.

While it's possible to find nightlife in SLC if you have a car, the party town is Park City.

15. McNads

McNads Dedicated Member

Don't go to Telluride please people, there's plenty of other much better destinations, trust me ;-)

16. ocker

ocker Active Member

Why do you say that NcNads?
    I am working on a trip.One week + in Salt Lake skiing the bird, Alta, Brighton & Solitude with some USA friends
    and then a two week solo road trip in SW Colorado

Silverton Mountain 2 Days
    Silverton Powder Cats 3 Days
    Alpine Touring San Juan 1 Day
    Wolf Creek 2 Days
    Purgatory Cat Skiing 2 Days
    Telluride 4 Days
    I had read good things about the new advanced and expert slopes so I had slotted in 4 days at Telluride. What is your recommendation NcNads?
    Anyone interested in joining this trip massage me!

17. Legs Akimbo

Season Pass Gold

He's trying to keep people away from a great resort.

What "new and expert slopes" at Telluride? The existing category would loosen the sphincter of any mere mortal.

18. ocker

ocker Active Member

"Revelation Bowl; Gold Hill chutes and hike to more inbound" (Although I prefer to skin than hike, faster and more energy on the downhill)

19. Legs Akimbo

Season Pass Gold

Not new.

20. Scooter

Scooter Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Methinks you missed the trust me and wink from @McNads LOL

21. Principal Douglas

Principal Douglas Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I've never been to Colorado and I have an Epic pass so I'm thinking about hitting up Summit County for a couple of weeks in early March. Currently it looks like I'm going solo on this one.

Does anyone have any tips for that area, besides "go to Telluride instead"? ;) I'm a cruisy skier these days so Breck, Keystone, Vail etc look nice to me.

If I stayed in Frisco would car hire be necessary, or is public transport regular and reliable? I'm not very experienced in driving overseas, is it a hair-raising terror trip from Denver Airport into the mountains?

Does anyone have any accommodations in the area they recommend or would avoid?

22. Legs Akimbo

Season Pass Gold

Avoid Vail
    It depends on how frightening 4 lane + freeways are. Roads are good and efficiently cleared. Just avoid returning to Denver on Sunday evening.
    The daughter stayed at The Bivvi Hostel in Breckenridge. She said it was good, but she's 22.

oldgeezer and Principal Douglas like this.
  23. Principal Douglas

Season Pass Gold

Thanks @Legs Akimbo, good advice. I'm fine with driving in snow and ice, it's city traffic that freaks out a country boy like me

24. Legs Akimbo

Season Pass Gold

IIRC, Denver Airport to the ski hills is pretty much all Interstate until you get to the turnoff to access the resorts. I70 misses Denver.

25. ocker

ocker Active Member

I stayed (with people I knew) in Silverthorn (near Frisco) in 2015 for 11 days skiing on the Local pass my tips
    • Yes need a car. On advice of my friends rented a AWD which I think is smart driving in the snow on wrong side of the road. But I had no real problems since good falls before I arrived and then mainly reasonable weather.
    • Don't overlook Beaver Creek and Arapahoe Basin also on your pass. If going solo check which resorts and days have host program and ski club. Great way to find others of a similar standard and to get to know the resort.
    • Everywhere including Vail and Beaver Creek there was free parking, although with these you needed a shuttle from the parking to the lifts. The free parking information is available on each of the resort websites you just have to search. A couple of times I linked up with a ski buddy for part of the day when waiting for the shuttle. I programed the parking spots into my GPS before I left home. Spent a bit of time with google maps and google view at home to make sure I could go to the right spot straight off. Made it so much easier and quicker each morning.
    • When not eating at my friends home I found the dining choices not great in Silverton, but that is a lot of USA so much fast food and boring chains. Proper restaurants over priced when you include the 20% tip especially when you consider how cheap the raw food and staff wages are. Set your standards low not to be disappointed.

Principal Douglas likes this.
  26. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member

You can catch a shuttle bus from the airport to wherever you're staying. Would be cheaper on your own. Then there are free (I think) buses from everywhere to anywhere. We are going to Breck and I've decided against a car now because the public transport seems pretty comprehensive. We can hire a car for a day if we want to go somewhere off the bus route.

27. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member

28. Principal Douglas

Season Pass Gold

29. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member

No problem, we are going there in January so I can fill you in on anything afterwards if you like.

30. absentskier

Season Pass Gold

The bus system is good, but it is still a pain in the arse and clearly isn't as convenient as having a car. It's a big trade off.

rime noreason likes this.
  31. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member

We traded off having a car with accommodation closer to the slopes. Plus I am the only driver, so this way I'm not taxi for everyone else :)

32. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Active Member

Very much so when then idea is for cruisey times. It is the back bowls which are its signature attraction but even then they require fresh snow to make it worthwhile. Tried it once and they were like concrete. Waste of a day trip from Breckenridge.
    I70 is often a parking lot isn't it. The last (and final) trip I didn't want to drive up even on a Thursday so took the long way around for a scenic relaxed drive to Breckenridge, via Colorado Springs and Woodland Park, making for a nice taste of the South West and more rural. The Hoosier Pass descent into the Breckenridge environs was somehow reminiscent of the Crown Range Road descent into Arrowtown outside of Queenstown, for me.

33. Principal Douglas

Season Pass Gold

Ok, so, I look at the Vail trail map and I see a tonne of blue groomers and from what I've seen and heard, there's some nice bowl skiing on the back side. Why would I avoid it? Crowds?

34. rime noreason

rime noreason Dedicated Member

@chicski The airport hotels are fairly isolated from SF sights. They’re okay for a night, but I would recommend staying closer to town for 3 nights. So many hotels have 2 double beds and then get a rollaway. Some are really close to the rail line and the freight trains are CONSTANT with horns long and loud. Freeway noise can also be really loud and annoying, depending on your hotel and room. Check the price saving because taking the BART for 3 people each day may not be the most economical nor time effective. You’ll also have to rely on the airport – BART shuttle back and forth. Near Fisherman’s Wharf will be the priciest, but the downtown area should have some reasonable options, and the cablecars are convenient to and from the wharf.

If you’ve already seen many sights around San Francisco, the drive to Monterey is well worth a day, or even better as an overnighter. It’s a beautiful drive and the town itself is cute with a lovely drive around the Pacific Grove coastline. There are some good restaurants at Fisherman’s Wharf here too. The Monterey Aquarium is really interesting, but allow a few hours to see it all and get your money’s worth. At $50/adult, it’s not cheap. I did a trip report earlier this year that included that area.

http://forums.ski.com.au/xf/threads...-such-a-winters-day-tahoe.77457/#post-3258743

http://forums.ski.com.au/xf/threads...-such-a-winters-day-tahoe.77457/#post-3259424

Muir Woods isn’t far out of San Francisco either, and well worth a few hours.

If you’re not planning to ski anywhere other than Breck, then you can probably get away without a car. But if you’re planning to ski at Keystone, Vail and others, I’d highly recommend a car, even if it’s only for some of the time. The bus will be a hassle.

@Principal Douglas If you pick up a car rental from Denver Airport, you don’t drive through the city. I was there a couple of years ago staying in Dillon for a couple of weeks using a car rental. I was extremely concerned about the driving and was about as nervous about driving there as anyone could be. I needn’t have been. It is straightforward, freeway highway most of the way, while the towns near those resorts are quite small and easy to navigate. I’d recommend having a GPS as it removes one aspect of concern and allows you to concentrate on the driving side of things. The roads are maintained well and cleared quickly of snow.

As others have said, avoid driving to the Frisco or Dillon areas on a Friday night / Saturday morning and driving back to Denver on a Sunday night. It will be a zoo moving at a snail’s pace. I’d recommend a car just for convenience rather than buses. The 2 kilometre drive from Dillon to Keystone will still take upwards of half an hour on the bus. The other resorts are even longer and involve changes at bus terminals. The money for a car is worth the time, convenience and comfort, over the bus system.

Also if you get the chance, drive across the Loveland Pass. It's stunning with the mountain views, but drive it cautiously as it's winding and no guardrails but worth the short drive

#84 rime noreason, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  35. Legs Akimbo

Season Pass Gold

All of the blue groomers are exactly the same. The bowls face south and set like gloop as soon as the sun comes out.

36. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member

Thanks for that, yes I'd pretty much decided to keep looking in the city, maybe even try and find cheaper and get 2 rooms. I think we will do most of our skiing at Breck, but google tells me there is car hire there, so my plan is to just hire as we need, rather than fork out $2k and have it sitting in the driveway.

rime noreason likes this.
  37. tr+h

tr+h Dedicated Member

Keep going...!!!!
    [​IMG]

38. tr+h

tr+h Dedicated Member

Where is it heading?
    [​IMG]

rime noreason and Wardy like this.
  39. Principal Douglas

Season Pass Gold

40. tr+h

tr+h Dedicated Member

Informative email today from Aspen/Snowmass!

[​IMG]

41. oldgeezer

oldgeezer Active Member

Yes he would have been sli1, and it was a magical morning with a system having passed through overnight leaving lingering snow cloud haze (I had left from Silverthorne about 9AM for Denver). That road trip idea I had toyed with sounds like it was worthwhile then. Too bad it looks like it will never happen what with retiring meaning less discretionary spending plus family commitments making it difficult to put the effort in to be fit for a ski vacation. Spending LOTS of time each day with grand-kids early in mornings and late afternoons saw me go on my last trip terribly unfit and it was a disaster (other factors contributing but that was the main one), and that time commitment is intensifying so Buller the week after next.

42. Wardy

Wardy Well-Known Member

El Nino forecast is improving too folks. That is, currently a diminishing likelihood of El Nino forming this northern Autumn. Typically this means more snowfall for western North America. Let's hope this trend continues.

chicski likes this.
  43. B-Dub

B-Dub Just Registered

Hi all, new to the site.

My wife and I are looking at Lake Tahoe for a week in early Jan.

Hints, tips, don't misses?

44. absentskier

Season Pass Gold

Welcome.

What are the main things you are looking for in your destination, both on and off the slopes? That will help people give more tailored advice.

45. TOFF

TOFF Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Choose either North Lake or South lake.
    Too much to try and do in 1 week.

Personal I like North Lake (tahoe city).
    Easy access to Squaw, Alpine Meadows, Northstar and down to homewood.

If you want Casino's, bigger nightlife etc go South lake.
    Heavenly, Sierra and Kirkwood.

YOU WILL WANT A CAR.

46. B-Dub

B-Dub Just Registered

We are pretty much settled on North Lake, staying in or near Tahoe City. We don't need a massive nightlife, just a few restaurants and a bar or two for some quite beers. From what I've seen Tahoe City fits that perfectly.

Neither of us are massive backcountry skiers. At this stage it will be a few days at Homewood and a few at Squaw.

It might sound like we're settled on our plans but happy to hear if there is anything that we can't miss or things that will make the trip easier.

We'll definitely have a car.

47. TOFF

TOFF Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Oneday at Homewood is probably enough though it will be a wonderful day. Views are amaze.

Consider a day or two at Alpine Meadows, same ticket as Squaw and well worth some time.

You'll have a ball.

48. absentskier

Season Pass Gold

Try to be as flexible as possible, keeping in mind this is still early season.

49. Wardy

Wardy Well-Known Member

Very much this. Tahoe can be very fickle; famine or feast.

Zeroz likes this.
  50. kimberlee81

kimberlee81 Dedicated Member

If South Tahoe becomes an option, I can recommend Base Camp.

[​IMG]