USA 2016 - 2017 Trip Plans/Thoughts/Reviews

Discussion in 'United States' started by absentskier, Apr 28, 2016.

absentskier

absentskier Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

You're going to love next week when the crowds have gone. Tree skiing at Steamboat is incredible, as it isn't too steep generally.

absentskier

Make sure you cross over the Main Street and go down to the river, have a look around Howlesen Hill etc. Such a great town, more laid back than Summit County.

jgm

jgm Active Member

If the missus will come (she says she's sick of skiing), it will probably be a couple of weeks at Whistler. Otherwise I will aim for a longer leave pass, but probably still stick to BC.

oldgeezer

oldgeezer Active Member

I had no time to pull out the phone except after lunch waiting for the rest after lunch
    from Rendezous Saddle Lodge, checking my trail map although at the time I had no idea where it was, that being the ski instructor / guide's job to know.

Attached Files:

oldgeezer

oldgeezer Active Member

Yes that is an immediate impression even if the main street is rather busier, paradoxically. Am about to do as you, and the very welcoming lady at reception on arrival, suggested @absentskier and I'm hankering for a decent coffee.

PS. Link to the music and beer festival. Apparently it will be big outdoor event at various venues in the freezing cold. Finishes tomorrow so hopefully it may even quieten down from tomorrow as people sleep in, then head home.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    absentskier

Can't help you with that one sorry because I don't drink coffee!

oldgeezer

oldgeezer Active Member

This angler was keen with temps at -4C in town

And what must be the steepest J-bar anywhere, over to the left of the tower beside the ski jumps

:thumbs: miss_b_haven and Jellybeans1000 like this.
    K_Bird

K_Bird Active Member Season Pass Silver

Very cold here in Breck, with light snowfalls on and off over the past few days. The cover is staying very fresh and light, with the very low temps and constant top-ups. Windy today, though, so quite uncomfortable on the lifts.

Busy again for the weekend, particularly as some of the higher lifts were closed. Still less crowded than Perisher mid-season. We've also noticed that everyone skis (and rides) very "calmly" here. The groomers are blissfully free of people screaming through at a million miles an hour.

Town is crazy-busy again, though. It's hard to get a spot in a bar, and there's often quite a wait for a table for dinner. Breck's weekend reputation seems to be well-deserved.

:thumbs: oldgeezer likes this.
    oldgeezer

oldgeezer Active Member

Interesting @K_Bird about the crowd behaviour. I had a couple of near misses from idiots screaming through with no room for error and last year just walking along Main St with OG1 after a very nice dinner at Ember a young boarder walking with his pal and that guy's girl suddenly stepped sideways right in front of me screaming obscenities into my face about how f'n fantastic Breck was. Those and other memories of Breck have made me reluctant to go back. Of course the bloke I mentioned was utterly miserable having to convince himself and me that he was on top of the world as his buddy had a girl and he didn't. But it still left a sour note.

Anyway at Breck it must have been a bluebird day as at Steamboat. Once again being in a clinic previous little time for pulling out the phone but I had skied past the group show were waiting about 50m back for me so managed this snap.

The conditions were just perfect and I fitted right in ability wise on day 1 but was very embarrassed when they were asking were I was staying etc as half of them seem to be multi-millionaires owning places all over, Steamboat among them, 7 beds 5 jacuzzis that type of place on the mountain. Cardiologists, neurosurgeons, Sth American oligarchy etc. But they are great people so I wasn't really embarrassed . Most of the day we were drilling to learn to soften our edges, control turns etc as a precursor to bumps per se. All in all I am very taken with Steamboat just unfortunately not likely to be able to make it back.

:thumbs: rime noreason likes this.
    oldgeezer

oldgeezer Active Member

Just another pic looking back to Thunderhead at days's end.

At this point the four retirement aged geriatrics, moi included, feeling our legs done in, decided to ski just to the gondola and download.

As the pics demonstrate the slopes on a Sunday afternoon were noticeably quieter, which will be appreciated from tomorrow.

:thumbs: mx_boarder and Jellybeans1000 like this.
    gortonator

gortonator Dedicated Member

Been some delicious pow at Mission Ridge over the last week :)

:thumbs: Jellybeans1000 likes this.
    K_Bird

You're right @oldgeezer ... perfect bluebird here at Breck after another 3 inches overnight. It's still cold, though, and windy up top as you can see in the pic.

Sorry to hear you didn't have great experiences with the Breck clientele. We've seen (heard) a few loud college-kid type groups along Main St, but nothing like what you had. Just cheerful yahooing.

I did spot a few speedsters today, but nothing like what I'd usually see at Perisher.

What I have seen is a LOT of injuries. Ski patrol are working non-stop - virtually every time we ride a lift, we look down and see another poor person being loaded onto a sled. In the three times we have had lunch near the Peak 8 ski patrol base, an ambulance has arrived every time. Not sure if it's the snow conditions, the time of year or what?

Scooter

Scooter Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

Mate - next year!!! Your kids are young enough missing a couple of weeks of school isn't going to be a problem. Just head home the week after - its a great weekend.

Hi @oldgeezer Christi then Thunderhead - no wait for the Gondy

Scooter

Accidently hit enter above

Was going to say @oldgeezer - you are there for the bumps so have you bombed a run down Whiteout yet?

Steamboat is pretty easy to get around once you figure out the lifts and a few main link trails. Like I said if the Gondy is busy do Christi to Thunderhead. Storm looking busy - you can do either Pony or Four Points and then goto Bar U E. You can easily cross from Sunny side back to Storm etc. either via Sundown or Elk head etc. And you can loop back to base a couple of ways as well either straight down from Thunderhead or via BC Ski Way or across to Vagabond and down through Bashor or past Thunderhead lift base etc. Dropping into Morning side can be potential choke point (as you have no idea of the queue and it is the only lift out) but even then you can traverse back around to Sunnyside via the boundary cat track (little bit of an uphill traverse).

Sacrilege :p

Some nice pics - never get tired of seeing pics of the snow and love that I know Steamboat well enough that I can pic where your shots are taken from etc. I take it your bumps crew are the well heeled ones not just randoms you are meeting on the slopes? I wouldn't be embarrassed - doesn't matter who you are there are always plenty of folks who are richer and done more etc. - just gotta be happy in yourself and not worry about others :thumbs:

As @absentskier commented the Tree Skiing at Steamboat is excellent and ranges in pitch and density so should find something to suit everyone.

Hey @jgm - been to Whistler twice but never skied/ridden. One of these days I will remedy that :D

oldgeezer

oldgeezer Active Member

Lifts and gondy on wind hold this afternoon and started snowing a bit after 4. We started working bumps this afternoon and more tomorrow. Lots of prep drills beforehand which I find hard as the new information displaces old and I get muddled up being a total non-athlete, and get things back to front. A bit overwhelming at times but a few others mentioned a similar feeling so that kind of helps. But it sort of made sense once in the bumps and while the camp/clinic will never make me a bump skier my idea is there would be things learned which will help me enjoy times with a couple of my more adventurous ski partners at home, where before I may have said I'll take the easier way around and meet up later.

absentskier

Wow you're in for some soft bumps tomorrow!

[​IMG]

absentskier

Still snowing.

[​IMG]

:thumbs: K_Bird likes this.
    miss_b_haven

miss_b_haven Dedicated Member

I'd heard some rumours that Tahoe was having record snowfalls, so I figured I'd check it out in person to see if they were true, or whether it was fake news by some baayd people, some very baayd people. Alot of very baayd people.

I'm pleased to confirm there's no fake news from baayd people at Tahoe. It's even better than rumoured.

:cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    :thumbs: mauricem and K_Bird like this.
    K_Bird

Still snowing as we prepare to leave Breck and head home today. I'm writing this having a delicious bagel and coffee at Cuppa Joes - thanks for the recommendation! - overlooking the mountain, which I can't see because of the snow.

We had blue skies during the morning yesterday, our last day on the hill. The weather started to close in at about 1pm so we had an early afternoon stop and headed for happy hour wings at the Blue Elk.

We are about to brave the I70 and our South West flight back to LAX. Hoping for smooth travels despite the snowy conditions.

absentskier

Where are you planning on skiing (other than Heavenly obviously)?

Johnb007

Johnb007 Active Member

Good girl. Glad you did as instructed!! I will be in SFO tonight, so maybe I will be up there Monday. Enjoy the epic conditions. Talk to rime noreason She is there now. She has a trip report thread on here - California Dreamin

:thumbs: miss_b_haven likes this.
    miss_b_haven

Of course I did as instructed. It's not like I'd misbehave or anything! ;)

miss_b_haven

The plan is for Homewood at some point, but I'm not driving so it's up to those who are.

But @Snorkler told me I should check it out when I was here last time, but I never got there. Hopefully this time.

I left Oz on the 21st, arrived in the US on the 21st, and was up at Tahoe on the 22nd to take advantage of the snowfalls. Jetlag?! Ha, I laugh in the face of jetlag!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

absentskier

absentskier

Yeah it's a good year to check out the smaller resorts.

miss_b_haven

Yesterday was a great day there, perfect day to check it out. Total bluebird, Aussie spring conditions. Solid and fast in the morning, then fairly thick and soft by the afternoon. Some of the bowl black side closed due to avy risks, but others were fine.

Skiing ego alley in the afternoon with tired legs, on solid ice crud alternating with elephant snot was entertaining! A couple of close calls but I managed to stay vertical!

LOL

@Snorkler was not wrong with the views. This is Emerald Bay and a waterfall on the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

absentskier

Very nice indeed. How is the apricot mogul over there?

Jellybeans1000

Jellybeans1000 Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

From Santa Monica.
    [​IMG]

:thumbs: mx_boarder and rime noreason like this.
    absentskier

And the snow continues in Tahoe...

:thumbs: Kletterer likes this.
    absentskier

rime noreason

rime noreason Dedicated Member

It sure does. It's barely stopped all season.

Today's wineometer down at lake level

[​IMG]

:thumbs: Kletterer likes this.
    oldgeezer

oldgeezer Active Member

Got home with a lot of information to still process, and convert into muscle memory. Seems three days is about the max I can do on any course in anything before it all becomes a blur and I'm still processing what happened on day two. So I shall be looking to integrate what they had us doing when on the slopes for a few days in late July I expect. No time for any pics and I still have no idea where I was on the slopes at Steamboat except in general terms. For me I've ski lessons in new places is kind of like using satnav: one is never lost but never has anything but a vague idea where one is any any time.
    :)

absentskier

Did you enjoy Steamboat? How were the conditions?

Visit any decent restaurants?

miss_b_haven

Snow Level; insane.

Oh man, what crazy days of soft, dry, fluffy snowflakes, and skiing that is blowing my mind.

Today it's more of the same, with so much more snow. But also more wind and whiteout. It's hard to believe it's the same place since last Thursday and Friday! I got into Homewood last week just before the lock - hwy 89 is currently closed from Emerald Bay, not at all surprisingly.

Homewood had more snow than they knew what to do with even then. The few chairs they have, had to be dug out, and the chairlift line ploughed so skis don't scrape the snow! Heavenly will be similar before long. Under chairs are roped off so skiers don't get decapitated, with the snow less than a metre from our skis.

These are still from Homewood. This is how much snow had to be dug out to get the Ellis chair going. I imagine it's closed today!

[​IMG]

Heavenly from Homewood

[​IMG]

Views from Homewood

[​IMG]

Heavenly from Homewood

[​IMG]

These are from yesterday, around South Lake. I wanted to sit down somewhere for breakfast but the tables and chairs were all taken.

[​IMG]

Anyone for a dip? Just don't stay out too long on the sun lounges.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now it's time for hot tub and chill.

:D

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    miss_b_haven

Can you even imagine my dismay to discover there is none here?!

Stern words will be required with Koflers. Without moguls, at this rate, I'll be totally withering away to a shadow of my usual mammoth self on the American diet of chocolate cocktails with whipped cream, and icecream!

absentskier

That's just nuts!

fmdc9

fmdc9 Active Member

Any thoughts on skiing ths easter? epic pass resorts specifically.

Has anyone done it? My concern isnt lakc of snow but more weather the resorts wind back terrain...

absentskier

Easter being late this year makes it a bit hard. Breck and Vail close 23rd but the other Vail resorts close on April17.

Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

Easter this year is a bit late. I did an Easter in Utah a few years ago but that was late March early April. Once April hits they start shutting down lifts, often not because of lack of snow but because there is nobody there.

My trip report (with pics) - http://forums.ski.com.au/xf/threads/solitude-brighton-utah-a-family-trip-report.59647/

fmdc9

fmdc9 Active Member

Thanks good context.
    I see some tahoe have extended their seasons. But again lack of people might mean limited terrain.

miss_b_haven

Lawdy will this snow ever stop falling?!

Said no-one ever.
    :D

What began as a clear sunny day with blue skies, ended in cloud and more snow. I was thinking I shouldn't have put on so many layers this morning, it was so warm. By lunchtime, my opinion changed significantly! More lifts were open today, lifties said they've spent the last 3 days doing nothing but digging. They're earning their wages this year!

However the wind increased and some closed again.

I've also seen a pair of bald eagles soaring above the mountains. Well, I'm assuming that's what they are, as I've even seen them close enough to see the underside of their wings with the half white pattern, and their little white heads, but haven't been able to take a pic.

I love seeing these too, they look like rockets.

[​IMG]

This is along California Trail.

[​IMG]

Girls got skillz. :skier:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    :thumbs: Jellybeans1000 likes this.
    mx_boarder

mx_boarder Old And Crusty

I think Emerald Bay/89 has been open a collective total of four days this season LOL

Gee I want to be back.

Johnb007

Johnb007 Active Member

See miss-b-haven, good things happen when you do as ya told !! Conditions look great. I will finally get up there on Monday, so don't ski all the snow out.

miss_b_haven

miss b gets lucky. Again! :D

Oh I soooo don't want to leave! I breathe here like nowhere else, I live here like nowhere else. I think I'll have my ashes scattered here.

Tomorrow will be my last day, sadly, but it's been a blast, just haven't stopped. This has been exactly what I needed.

After here, I'll hit San Fran for a few days, then lookout New York! :D :cool:

I skied with snow monsters. I thought they only existed in Japan, but I guess they prefer to be where the snow is best.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

People today were talking about getting t-shirts made, saying Tahoe 2016/17, because the season is so all time. I would so get one of those!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

miss_b_haven

Can't make you any promises, I'm giving these mountains a hell of a time. Few things survive a miss b onslaught in the same condition as I found them. :D

absentskier

Amazing to compare this season to the miserable wretched run of seasons they have suffered recently. It's all time indeed.

oldgeezer

oldgeezer Active Member

Not a lot of restaurants but I enjoyed the town and slopes plus couldn't believe the luck with conditions coming good right at the time.

miss_b_haven

Would it be overkill to actually use the terms; all time, and epic?

No. No, I don't think it would.

It's a bit sad to be leaving, but a high note to go out on. I wondered why my hands were red this afternoon. Someone was so warm today that gloves weren't required. Someone used sunscreen on her face, but someone didn't even consider to use it on her hands.

So farewell Tahoe, once again, you sure played nice. Heavenly, you've been truly divine. :emoji_snowflake::emoji_blue_heart:

See you all now on the other side of New York.

Misbehaving? Who me?! Everyone knows I'm an angel, and here's proof. :emoji_angel:

[​IMG]

@mx_boarder it's no surprise that 89 was closed for most of the season. This is how it looked last week - before the latest dump. I love the snow but I'm glad I don't have to shovel the driveway!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More from Heavenly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Out and about town

[​IMG]

Scooter

Thanks for all the updates and pics @miss_b_haven - have enjoyed them and its good to see you got the goods - enjoy your onward travels.

So who else is in the USA or heading over for the end of the season?

Your MIL still in Steamboat @absentskier ? Just having a look at the cams it looks like lower snowpack has been pretty impacted by the heat and I notice Joel's forecast is calling for a run of 40+ days.

absentskier

Nah she left Steamboat on 26 Feb.