Ultimate OZ/NZ AT quiver.

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Angus_McCrory, May 20, 2013.

dr80

dr80 Active Member

Thanks skifree. Mounted my dynafits no problem. Just think I'm a bit chicken with having a crack at diy inserts.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
    skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture Moderator

I've mounted a few tele rigs over the years, all the recent mounts I've done with inserts with the only problem being operator accuracy. This should be addressed with some new mounting toys such as a dedicated insert drill bit and a jig. The Allski is a bit more work than a dedicated "to the layout" jig, but I figure the Allski will be more use to me in the long run.

The main issue with the inserts is very carefully checking you have enough ski thickness. Early DPS were too thin and I pointed this out to DPS who have thickened the ski up in the binding area since. I suspect they figured it out well before me.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
    CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com Moderator Commercial Member

I'm thinking of buying an insert kit with the correct stepped drill bit.
    Ziggy

Ziggy Addicted Member Season Pass Holder

Couple of wraps of fabric tape works fine unless you're a gorilla.
    piolet

piolet Old And Crusty

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
    dr80

dr80 Active Member

Might depend on what you plan to do on it.
    Longer back country tours = yeti
    Resort / side country = wailer 99
    Just surmising here from a bit of forum-ing

I'm sure both are good skis (calling Damian ... ?)
    The Bush Patrol

The Bush Patrol Active Member

Depends what you like to ski. When I buy skis its like I mate for life (last skis had them for around 10 years) so for me & my beer gut the pure was a stand out as the rebound in the tail would not diminish over the years as a glass composite would. That said the hybrid would be better suited to OZ icier conditions as the wood core makes it damper & less skittish on hard pack & ice. Weight of the carbon was also a factor albeit slight on the uphill. As I bought them for OZ & also OS so went with Damo's suggestion on the 99's & absolutely no buyers remorse here. I did find him scratching around a bit on hard pack in Japan on his 112RP pures which etched into my memory & also swayed my decision.
    piolet

piolet Old And Crusty

Thanks TBP. Thats what im after... Similar to you, this will be a long term ski. I plan for it pretty much to be an oz ski, 95% bc, just the odd resort day when it dumps, maybe. I usually avoid travelling with skis but if i did i guess it'd be the french alps so i guess the w99 would be ok width wise. Personally prefer a bit of dampness, so was thinking hybrid anyway. The TR of the 192s is ok but the shorter ones are getting pretty tight for me but i dont know how this translates for think kind of ski - ive only skied conventional skis... I guess this is part of my apprehension with the rockered tail, not sure on it. Im 183cm and high 80 kegs and am guessing the 192 would bethe size?
    Any further feedback anyone has would be awesome - damian?
    The Bush Patrol

Hard choice as Damo sent me a list of skis to investigate & Praxis was 2nd on the list. Had mates that have been disappointed that they didn't go longer with skis of early rise. Again from me "DPS, resistance is futile".
    piolet

piolet Old And Crusty

[​IMG]

Yeah im gunning for dps but just trying to make sure
    Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Addicted Member Season Pass Holder

The Yeti doesn't have much rise in the tail.
    piolet

piolet Old And Crusty

Yeah thx, ive noted that. With a ski such as the wailer, is it a plus if youre not skiing switch? Release?
    Boodwah

Boodwah Dedicated Member

Mine 99, 188cm Nano, mounted w Dynafit Radical. I do more than just lick them, but there are kids who read this forum, so...
    piolet

piolet Old And Crusty

Yeti vs wailer 99 vs ...? Yeti is very interesting too, way better top sheet for licking etc so its obviously the better ski ?
    dr80

dr80 Active Member

HighPlainsDrifte

HighPlainsDrifte Active Member

If your looking for the ultimate OZ/NZ AT quiver may I also suggest either the Kingswood 'Skinny' or 'Archetype'. These are built and tested in NZ but hand made by an Aussie.
    Rimey

Rimey Active Member

When I saw this I thought I was about to reach through the phone and grab a throat and ...
    Fortunately, the BC wasn't on the list.

Praxis Sale

For their other regular gear, google "praxis coupons" for 10% + off.
    piolet

piolet Old And Crusty

^^^yeah seen that thx
    dawooduck

dawooduck Old And Crusty

This thread is a good read but .... reading the epicski stuff is a lot like massive dribble
    skifree

[​IMG]

From left to right.
    Green - current Wailer 99 pures, must drill these one night.
    Black / Deep purple - Wailer 95 bamboo side walls. These are the current go to ski and tourer.
    Black - Wailer 95, possibly 1st production batch, matt finish top sheet and very very thin.
    White - Cassiar, bamboo sidewalls, these have seen a lot of miles.
    Ornage - Cassiar, pure fitted with inserts but not yet skied, I spent all 2012 back country on the Wailers.
    Black - Lotus 120 bamboo sidewalls, these have de-laminated and need to be turned into furniture.
    Red - Lotus 120 pures, these work very well in Japow, I would go the next length up next buy.

PS, loved the massive dribble.
    damian

damian Addicted Member

You've all gone crazy.

BushPig - I've toured (so much less core flexing than resort laps) on my carbon 112's about 180 days (????) and as far as I can tell, they still feel like a new ski. Nothing about their current performance makes me think they are done. Though it is a little like boiling a frog.

This would be about day 150 or so. Look a those tips sing.
    [​IMG]

[I've been oogling my winter photos of late]
    skifree

Sweet pic damian, very sweet.
    The Bush Patrol

Yeh Damo I may not have made it too clear in my ramblings but was only trying to make the comparison between the 112's & 99's in icy conditions. I recall 5-10m of ice in the middle of a run that showed their only flaw. And that is purely on the fact of their width & not on the rider & yes you are still the king but next time we ski I may be able to stay upright just long enough to KICK YOUR A**E. [​IMG]
    damian

damian Addicted Member

Hey BP,

You did fall over a lot.

And correct that ice is not good with the 112's.

But the point of my post was supportive to say you were thinking right by going for carbon construction with this in mind:

The photo was just for the sake of the photo [​IMG]

You really did fall over a lot:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
    The Bush Patrol

Did struggle with the narrow waist skis a bit but Ro has this vendetta against me & compelled to capture every fail on video.
    You obviously rub in the same salt !!!
    Telemark Phat

videos are private [​IMG]
    damian

damian Addicted Member

Fixed [​IMG]

The crashing was relentless on that run. The big fella was a punch drunk sobbing ball of sweat and powder by the bottom. [​IMG]
    skifree

I feel for him, I spent a fair bit of time in Japow making the same moves or should I say stops.
    damian

damian Addicted Member

[​IMG] Everything was fine, except that one run of several pitches. By the very last pitch we were cheering him on and counting down the turns, "he did it!".... then... snow snake. [​IMG]
    skifree

It is not the fall, it is the getting back up.
    BrianWilson

BrianWilson Active Member

Brings back some good memories Damien and BP. There was a little bit of giggling that can be heard from behind the camera when the big man went down time after time. I do sympathise with him though as he didn't have the right equipment for the terrain.

My favourite memory out of all the BPs falls was that one where you lost your ski pole Damien. BP came charging down the hill having one of his best runs in chin deep when he got to the bottom and the creek. Disappeared from view for a good ten minutes as he tried to unbury himself from 10 foot of snow. The smile on his face as he came out was priceless.
    damian

damian Addicted Member

[​IMG]
    The Bush Patrol

And I thought that all this talk of snorkels was crap then I went to camp Damo, had a drowning moment in a creek full of over head blower pow. Smiling & giggling like s school girl still.
    skifree

I have been in touch with dps about what they have left in time for shipping to Oz this season. There is a bit of list of ex demo stuff that can come with or without bindings. These are going out V cheap. PM me for the list if you are interested.
    piolet

piolet Old And Crusty

On that note, keith at praxis just shipped me a pair of yetis, $500 shipped. Should be here next week [​IMG] (last seasons....)
    Angus_McCrory

Angus_McCrory Part of the Furniture

Box of bindings just arrived, now just need to mate them with DPS skis.... will wander over to STM and see if they have arrived.
    Telemark Phat

I just dropped off a box of 9 Tele bindings to the Jindy ski swap.
    Angus_McCrory

Off to shop to get bindings attached tomorrow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ski weight 1747g (per ski @ 188cm)
    Bindings with brakes & screws 879g (single)
    Total per ski 2626g
    The Bush Patrol

piolet

piolet Old And Crusty

[​IMG]

My shot at the quiver. To be mounted when i get my shit together [​IMG] praxis yetis

[​IMG]

Lotsa rocker - glad i went for the 192s! A bit of tail rocker but not a full twin too, neat little niche for skin tail hooks.
    Cant wait to get on them [​IMG]
    tele-whippet

tele-whippet Addicted Member Season Pass Holder

Nice looking kitty.
    piolet

piolet Old And Crusty

Yeah he was unimpressed, couldnt get in the box and no tuna. Nice moggy [​IMG]
    Angus_McCrory

New gear is nice...... just need Ullr/Huey to diliver some goods now.

If moggy doesn't behave have you threatend to to turn him into climbing skins?
    CarveMan

My parents had a great book - 101 uses for a dead cat. Climbing skins wasn't on the list. Maybe they could republish!
    piolet

piolet Old And Crusty

Why would you wanna keep a dead cat around? Your parents must be weird... The apple never falls far from the tree either, cm... [​IMG]
    CarveMan

piolet

piolet Old And Crusty

Doesnt answer my question, wierdo!
    [​IMG]
    Angus_McCrory

[​IMG]
    piolet

piolet Old And Crusty

Is that cm's dad? The future bodes well for cm

You could get all dr zuess on that pic tho; the cat as a hat, look a me, look at me now, its fun to have fun but you have to sit on a brow
    Angus_McCrory

Dr John Walmsley I believe.