Travel Expos and Flight deals Question

Discussion in 'Flights' started by SnowflakesRule, May 3, 2017.

1. SnowflakesRule

SnowflakesRule New Member

Has anyone been to one of those Snow Expos/Travel expos the travel agents put on and been able to get really good deals? Thinking of heading to one at the end of the month but wondering if it's worth it or not.

Thanks in advance.

2. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

I went to one a few years ago and met a bloke who gave us an unmatchable deal on a condo in Telluride, so you never know. Mostly they are just part of the general nerdery. There are a couple - one organised by Travelplan which tells you everything about Travelplan and a more general one organised by someone else.

3. Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

I went to the Travelplan one years ago, was great to meet up with the agents I had been dealing with for years and put a face to the names. Most of the stuff I new anyway but was good to get a ski vibe happening and get me planning :D Normally there is a comp running so worth sticking your name in the barrel.

4. SnowflakesRule

Thanks. It's the Travelplan one but after asking them a couple of questions turns out any airfare specials would need to have accommodation booked along with it. So back to monitoring prices and hoping for a good deal coming soon.

5. kimberlee81

kimberlee81 Dedicated Member

6. Legs Akimbo

Season Pass Gold

Do your sums. God invented Excel for a reason.

Sometimes do it yourself works. Sometimes Travelplan, or other agents, do. Best thing to do is track airline sale prices, then see what you can find online for accommodation. Remember to factor early purchase season passes as well.

Then feed it all back to travel agents and ask what they can do to match.

SnowflakesRule likes this.
  7. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

8. Crystal

Yes they are linked, as others have said do the spreadsheet. I just recently booked 2 weeks accom through Travelplan and got lift tickets....way way cheaper than I could get anywhere online. They do have agreements with some places where they get super cheap deals. That said I didn't get them to do my flights.....booked through FF and got an awesome deal.

9. Legs Akimbo

Season Pass Gold

One thing I discovered, at least at Telluride, is that Travelplan, and presumably others, do not offer the full range of accommodation in a particular property. At the Mountain Lodge in the Mountain Village they have 1 br + loft condos, which are ideal for a father travelling with a teenage daughter, but Travelplan did not offer them. Presumably they have pre-allocations and do not include these condos in their properties.

10. Crystal

yes correct LA

11. SnowflakesRule

@Born2ski Thanks. Momondo is one I hadn't checked out. Have Skyscanner, Kayak, Expedia, Iwantthatflight and the ITAsoftware one on my hit list.

@Crystal. Awesome getting a great deal. I've received a quote from Travelplan already and even with their long stay special, there would need to be discount of somewhere around 40% on the accommodation part to break even with what I'm looking at doing myself. I did suspect that if we were going for just a couple of weeks at Christmas then the travel agents would probably have more of a chance of being the way to go.

@Legs Akimbo Definitely got the early bird season passes in my sight, as well as the early bird group lessons if they do them this year. We've been slowly moving our way up in length of time that we go and figured 10 days was the break even part not including any further discounts. We started at 7 days but that was nowhere near enough. 4 weeks seems to be a pretty good time at the moment, kids handle it well but by then they're missing friends, toys and home (not necessarily in that order!). Interesting to know that about the travel agents and accommodation options. Thanks.

12. Jellybeans1000

Jellybeans1000 Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Flights: Skyscanner and Momondo. Get price and book direct through the airline.
    Accomodation: Kayak and Trivago. Get price and book direct through the accomodation.

Done. Avoid giving personal details except directly to the airline or accomodation.

13. SnowflakesRule

@Jellybeans1000 Have you had successful getting the airlines to make prices found on Skyscanner?

14. Spyder_Man

Spyder_Man Active Member

Hi guys, just to add my 2 cents worth to this conversation.... what i have found works best is to track online airfare specials, either through the airline direct , skyscanner or flight center themselves.... doesnt matter where as long as you get that cheap fare... Eg... melbourne to Vancouver for under 1400 bucks is considered pretty good, seen them as low as 875 return flying Air NewZealand for month of Feb.... so having said that, once airline tickets are sorted.... as some above said about travel agency's, they have special agreements with certain resorts, and the prices they get on accommodation/early bird lift tickets etc, you will never match...
    Ive booked my trip this year 3rd of Jan till 12th jan in whistler through Mogul Ski travel and they have a long running business friendship, where the rooms available to them and the prices, i can't even match online... so something to think about going solo and booking things independently...