Townsend Spur (north) KNP - any recent adventures?

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by NeoSamurai, Mar 20, 2017.

1. NeoSamurai

NeoSamurai Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

After my recent Hannel's Spur epic adventure/slog I was now thinking of ascending Townsend Spur from Geehi River. I would drop/plummet straight down to the Geehi from Olsens Lookout, climb Townsend Spur (north) - camp at the top then descent LNC to Opera House Hut checking out Siren Song tunnel along the way. Has anyone recently been up Townsend Spur? Is the road to Geehi Dam open - I'd heard rumours it was now permanently closed.

2. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

I figure it makes for a better descent...gravity working in your favour. My firm recollection of it from a long time ago was periods of controlled falling through vegetation
    Walking up LNC is a pleasure by comparison.

3. art

art Active Member

Road to Geehi Dam and Olsens lookout was closed a few weeks ago when i went through. Jindy national parks office was ok with riding it. I could see they had been doing some repairs but looked finished at that stage.
    Its no longer listed as closed on the NPWS site.
    http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/visit-a-park/parks/kosciuszko-national-park/local-alerts
    so i think its probably reopened.

Siren Song tunnel was open at both ends and a work crew had a camping trailer set up at Opera House.

#3 art, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    POW_hungry likes this.
  4. DJM

DJM Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

5. Gimp

Gimp Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Wow, that is contemplating some hardcore regrowth bashing up Townsend. I'd be thinking along the lines of your trip up Hannels but 20m either side of the 'track'. Still reckon there is a Canadian down there somewhere RIP

fmdc9, NewTurns, Majikthise and 3 others like this.
  6. jonathanc

jonathanc Well-Known Member

I did LNC in January and the regrowth on Townsend was fierce. Would make the Hannels trip seem easy by comparison!

7. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Neo your getting a reputation as a hard man....probably Townsend Spur faces to north so be careful of the reptiles especially as you may be coming up with your chest close to the ground.
    The regrowth sounds demoralising.......

I have bushbashed over from Olsen Lookout over the Geehi and up to the aduaduct track before the major fires....it was not bad then.The other way may be to power thro to Siren Song,Tunnel and Opera House then upstream u take the scree slope leading up onto Townsend Ridge Line.

Hopefully u will have good photos to show us.
    Just watch this warm weather ....you are obviously very fit. But I would take some salt and or magnesium tablets.Gardening gloves may be useful too for pushing thro dense regrowth.I cannot remember if scree slope is above major waterfall or below?
    Good luck....

8. POW_hungry

POW_hungry Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Sounds like snake heaven...

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  9. NeoSamurai

NeoSamurai Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

With the days slowly getting shorter if I can't get the 'window' in the next few weeks I'll have to postpone until Oct./Nov. Before I leave I'll create a basic GPS track up the spur to somewhat follow but as long as I go UP I can't go wrong I figure! US - yes I used gardening gloves on Hannels - definitely a must as were the long HD gaiters, long sleeves, long pants etc. Will cut the tip off the right hand index finger on the glove next time so it's easier to fiddle with the GPS. Buffered salt tablets - check. I've been getting much fitter since Hannels and lost quite a few kgs since then! Figuring 5litres of water this time as I don't have the luxury of Moira's Flat to replenish at 1450m nor Byatt's at 1950m. More thorough research required - keep the info. coming! Not looking forward to the plummet down from Olsens.

#9 NeoSamurai, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    Edgecrusher and Ubiquitous Steve like this.
  10. jonathanc

jonathanc Well-Known Member

Here's a pic looking onto the spur and the scree slope etc - taken in January this year. You can see the really big waterfall further down. From memory the first waterfall is upstream of the scree slope but I'm not 100% on that.

Attached Files:

11. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

No you cross above the upper falls..going up is head up curruthers west spur till above the falls sidle to creekline >cross the creek start clambering up the scree. .which i figure is also much easier heading down with the aid of gravity. I recall fondly how relieved we were to enter the scree.

12. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

And watch those Bears .....is It correct that sightings have been recorded down in Opera House or is this "fake news".
    The Team hopes they have not infringed on some bodies copyright...

13. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Mister Tee on snow shoes Dedicated Member

I use re hydration salts sachets for really tough trekking for maintaining one's electrolyte balance in the face of extreme water loss through perspiration.I buy the sachets from the chemist shop.