Thredbo restaurant recommendations?

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Lifes2good, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Lifes2good

Lifes2good Active Member

Going there in a couple of weeks and need to book for large-ish crowd for Fri & Sat nights. I know a couple of places have changed hands recently so I thought I'd check here for recent opinions.

Was thinking of Bernti's and Candlelight as they are old favourites but open to options?

2. Principal Douglas

Principal Douglas Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Burger Bar

Ralph_Plow and LMB like this.
  3. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Cascades would be best placed to deal with a very large group and the food is excellent this year.

Lifes2good likes this.
  4. fmdc9

fmdc9 Active Member

Burger bar was ordinary when i went. Overseasoned oversauced and overpriced.

5. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Find that hard to believe. Always great food and cheap compared to other mountain food.

LMB likes this.
  6. iagreewithhim

iagreewithhim Well-Known Member

Black Bear Inn is good. Expensive though (not alone there).

NewTurns likes this.
  7. tele-whippet

tele-whippet beard stroker
    Season Pass Gold

Berntis has new owners.
    Definitely not the same as before.

8. NewTurns

NewTurns Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Segretos very good. Small though.

9. rugbyskier

rugbyskier Dedicated Member

I'll second Annabuzzy's recommendation for Cascades. Went there with the buzzy clan for our annual snow dinner and the food and wine were excellent. Cascades had good options for children too.

NewTurns likes this.
  10. shabu_shabu

shabu_shabu Active Member

In a good way or not so good way?

11. tele-whippet

tele-whippet beard stroker
    Season Pass Gold

12. LMB

LMB Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Same.
    Absolutely love the place.
    Never had a disappointing meal (or dessert), and always been looked after.

chicski likes this.
  13. Lifes2good

Lifes2good Active Member

You know, in the 20+ years I have been going to Thredbo I've never had dinner at Cascades! This might be the year to rectify that.

Annabuzzy likes this.
  14. fmdc9

fmdc9 Active Member

id read great things about it but must have got them on a bad night.

15. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

The decor is pretty average but service is good and the food is good to very good.

16. winter

winter Well-Known Member
    30 Day Pass

I loved Ullr, Mexican recently, the tuna and avocado dish was a highlight. I usually take our food though listen to other members after they go out as I love food.
    This season people are mainly rating The Burger Bar, Ullr, Denman and Cascades.

17. shabu_shabu

shabu_shabu Active Member

Sounds like a shame.

BTW get better soon. We need your reports and photos.

tele-whippet likes this.
  18. Ralph_Plow

Ralph_Plow Active Member

The question is how did you eat anywhere else without thinking "overpriced".

About the cheapest dinner in da bo.

19. silva

silva Active Member

We have always enjoyed our meal and had great service at Sante Charusco. It would be a good option for a group too (unless you have vegetarians in the group - not too many options for them).

20. Lifes2good

Lifes2good Active Member

Thanks for the recommendations. Unfortunately burgers are a bit of a fizzer for me as I can't eat wheat. I usually go for a naked burger - still worthwhile? I'll run these recommendations past the team and see what they say.

Haven't been to Ullr for eons. I also can't eat Mexican due to the beans! I miss it, such great apres snow cuisine.

Jeez but I wish I was there today.

21. silva

silva Active Member

Sante sounds like it would actually suit you well - brazilian bbq = meat and lots of it.

Lifes2good likes this.
  22. sbm

sbm Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

A few years ago, I had a couple of big mates with bottomless appetites overstay their welcome there, funny to watch as the waiter's frown got slightly larger each time, as they just kept asking for more.

I have to say, like Lifes2Good, there's a surprising amount of places I've never actually been too, I go out for dinner very rarely when I'm in the village.

23. LMB

LMB Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

I tend not to do wheat, but make an exception when I'm there. (Not allergic, just don't thrive if I have it often). But I did notice this season there were non burger options also, so going as a group for one meal you'll find something on the menu to satisfy you.

Lifes2good likes this.
  24. Lifes2good

Lifes2good Active Member

We tend to pre-cook and freeze meals to take with us so we can relax in our apartment in the evenings. Whats not to like about home made spag bol and a glass or three of red wine at home? We usually drag ourselves out with friends one or two nights for the week, but have tended to go to the same couple of places each year.

sbm likes this.
  25. Lifes2good

Lifes2good Active Member

Oh, and we have always enjoyed a big lunch or two at Kareela Hutte, followed by a few schnapps (refer avatar) and then a cautious ski down the hill.

26. DPS Driver

DPS Driver Dedicated Member

An Ullr steak has always been a favourite. Other than that the kitchen at Gore Hill rocks. ha ha.

27. Ralph_Plow

Ralph_Plow Active Member

I have a GF friend who has been there a fair bit, not sure what the options are but she likes it.

chicski likes this.
  28. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

You can get a plate without a bun. A friend does that and I swear it's more than what's normally on a burger!

tele-whippet likes this.
  29. zac150

zac150 Dedicated Member

So my take on the Thredbo food scene, I should caveat this with the fact that Chefs change and more so in Thredbo than anywhere, so what's good one year can change.

Starting in the valley, the distillery or schnapps factory has a nice food, European or German styled and good service. I'm not sure if they have ever changed the menu which has seen me give them a miss of late.

The old maze - now cottage, had an amazing meal there over new year, great farm fresh produce mostly sourced from the farm or locally. Will go back.

Ullr, one of my favourites as it is cheap and only 50m from my place. Rumour is the chef from Burnties moved there and the food was at a better level than previous years. Great local music and had some good nights there. But can feel a bit of a grungy at times.

Burnties, was another haunt but not so good this year. We occasionally head up after dinner for dessert and to leave the kids. This year I felt the food was put together by someone out of their depth. Had the Big kid Sunday and it was a master chef special, heaps of ideas that just didn't work.

Pub, sorry Bistro, nope won't go there, carpet still feels like you are walking on 60 years of spilt grog......

Cascades, I've only eaten there once and had it pegged as "hotel" food I.e a solid hotel restaurant. I've heard recent poor reviews of the service.

Altitude 1260 - decent breakfast, great juice but coffee is hit and miss.

Pizzeria - its pizza, but the kids like it and we go out for a nicer dinner.

Sante - I'm a bit over the Brazilian BBQ but a great option for a big group. Was our go to option for a number of years and we never had a bad meal there.

T bar - stopped going there years ago as the prices seem to creep there first. I guess I feel I can get a better meal in town.

Burger bar, I wasn't fussed, Nice burger but I thought it was an expensive meal once you paid for a burger, chips drinks etc.

Denman, I had one of the best meals I've had in Thredbo there a few weeks ago. Not cheap but good food, I had the 12 hour slow cooked lamb with winter veg strudel and was seriously impressed. Good service

Black bear, always a solid option, cheaper than Denman and the service is also good and hey who can go past a trio of schnitzel! Again it is a go to for us as we head out after dinner for a loop walk of the village and often stop in for schnapps and dessert. The desserts are very good!

sbm and Annabuzzy like this.