The using card overseas thread

Discussion in 'Passport' started by benchives, Jul 17, 2017.

1. benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

need some help on the best card to use overseas - in my case it's USA but could extend this thread for all places

I'm going to be in NYC for a month late august and looking for the best solution to my spending mechanism

I've searched the threads and saw lots of noise about the Citi visa debit card and how that was great but then they introduced fees, is that right? @sara777 @Born2ski i saw u talking about this what was your experience and advice?

What are some other good options?

I love payWave and never use cash anymore but if I am going to get hit 2,50 every time I buy a hotdog or Budweiser then I might as well go all 1992 and use an ATM and withdraw larger amounts less frequently

What does everyone think?

Thanks!

#chivesinnyc

2. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

I'm not sure that the US has caught up with PayWave. Last time I was there (2014) chip and PIN was beyond them.

3. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

No fees on my Citi visa debit in Canada in Jan / Feb / Mar this year.

You may be thinking of the 28 Degrees mastercard. It has no FX conversion fees on PURCHASES, but charges a fee on CASH ADVANCES.

benchives likes this.
  4. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

PayWave is way behind in the US hence them marvelling over Apple Pay etc, whereas we were very meh about the concept. (Said a guy who just paid for 2 beers with Apple Pay)

JoeKing and piolet like this.
  5. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

Still no fees on Citibank visa debit card. There was some talk about it but the changes excluded the Citibank Plus account which is connected to a Visa debit card.

http://forums.ski.com.au/xf/threads/yen.57515/page-34#post-3180541

I still use the card for foreign currency transactions, even for online purchases or paying for OS accommodation. The best thing about using this card in the USA is Citibank has their own ATMs at all 7-Elevens, which are often service stations, so there's heaps around.

#5 Born2ski, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    benchives likes this.
  6. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

If you go with Citi visa debit @benchives, allow 3 - 4 weeks to open an account and receive the card. Assuming, of course, that you don't already have an acount.

Citibank's processes are quite bureaucratic and their online identification procedure is notorious for being slow and occasionally failing for no good reason. That was the case in 2013 anyway, when I set up my account. The online ID did eventually work for me. The fallback in case of ID failure was to go to a post office with a form and ID, to be identified by the PO staff, then post the completed ID verification form to Citi by snail mail. As you can imagine, that all takes time, hence allowing up to 4 weeks.

If it all goes smoothly, it can take a week to 10 days. Probably less in Sydney actually, with the luxury of having a branch nearby. It's somewhat harder when the nearest branch is a 2 hour drive away.

benchives likes this.
  7. Born2ski

benchives likes this.
  8. benchives

Season Pass Gold

Thanks y'all surely the lower east side and mid town will be bastions of tech innovation and I should t worry about payWave,,,,actually then again!

9. benchives

Season Pass Gold

Is there anywhere visa is accepted but MasterCard not? I've only ever used visa

10. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

In 2010 my chipped card was an object of fascination for counter jumpers.

If you are around the East Village I can recommend a bar called Klimat on E7th St. Great range of beers and yum perogies.

benchives likes this.
  11. sara777

sara777 Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

This. I used it in Europe and Japan. No fees, easy transfer and ok exchange rates.

12. benchives

Season Pass Gold

Thank you legs and Sara

sara777 likes this.
  13. kylep

kylep Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

I only got a Citi card at the start of the year, took a week or 2 from memory. Used throughout US West Coast early this year with no issues, other than forgetting to transfer cash with the 1-2 day transfer time from my bank when I spent too much :D
    Last US transaction was late Feb. US 123.06=AUD 160.83 = 76.5c conversion

benchives likes this.
  14. Born2ski

Not that I've ever encountered in North America, if they accept Visa they'll accept Mastercard.

15. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

Go on get a Qantas Cash Card...........It's Australian, so must be good!!!! LOL
    Listen to Born2ski..........all true.

benchives likes this.