The luggage thread

Discussion in 'Flights' started by Donza, Feb 1, 2012.

Donza

Donza Pool Room

All the ranting in the Jstar thread made me think
    How many kgs do you pack?

I see skidown has a allowance of 3 x 23 kgs bags for the states..
    to take that much IMO is the sign of a inexperienced traveller...

for the record...for my next trip I have 18.5 kgs in a snowboard bag and 4 carry on in a back pack

why do people take so much crap? [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
    Snorkler

Snorkler Part of the Furniture

Skidown doesn't wash clothes so he either needs to take enough for 4 weeks or buy new clothes. Don't forget his makeup case either [​IMG] [​IMG]

He's also hoping on a few nights with the ladies so he needs to take along his role playing gear as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
    markopolo

markopolo Naughty Corner Resident Season Pass Gold

For our last Japan trip my daughter and I shared one suitcase at 21 kg and two boot bags as carryon.

markopolo

[​IMG] skidowns leather gear is heavy!

Snorkler

You would think that the pants would be lighter without the crotch, but they aren't.

ausbob

ausbob Active Member

Even with boots in the bag I keep it under 20 K. My first trip to canada with wife and 3 kids we only took two suitcases both about 25Kg and carry on. Admittedly we ran out of clothes but who cares. Now with teenagers it's 5 suitcases.

skichic

skichic Addicted Member

This trip to Japan, was the first time I reckon I've got it right. I wore everything I took. Skibag with skis, boots, helmet, gear, clothes, toiletries all came in at under 23kg. Think It was 21kg. I take all merino gear so I can wear it for days and it dries quickly after hand washing. Coming back with souveniers and 1000's of boxes of pocky it may have been over, but it wasn't really weighed either at Narita or Sydney. Pretty much straight to the oversize.

I try and travel as light as possible. Even with a bigger allowance for the USA, I still travel light. But tend to use the allowance coming back with all the shopping I do over there [​IMG]

early_crow

early_crow New Member

Speaking of luggage... is it possible to leave a snowboard bag at Shinjuku for a few hours while checking out some ski shops? We're gonna have a few hours to kill before our bus to Hakuba.

travelislife

travelislife Dedicated Member

I went to NZ with my ski bag with all packed in there came in at about 15kgs then just had boots in carry on.

Currently to America I have my ski bag at about 15kgs, and then another bag at 12kgs with my boots. Same to Japan.

Never had any issues with airlines and baggage allowances be it flying Economy, Business, full service or low cost. Just play by the rules and all will be well.

dawooduck

dawooduck Pool Room Season Pass Gold

its the studs .....

Japow honeymoon trip I had approx 23kg inc ski boots and ski clothes for two (no skis) and she had 17kgs. Carry on was one small backpack and 6 bottles of quality red wine .... as ya do [​IMG]

Arne

Arne Active Member

Heading to Japan next weekend and packed last night. Currently sitting at 26 kg including carry on. This includes Avi gear with climbing skins, two pairs of ski jacket and pants and an extra pair of casual cords. Skis are scott Mega Dozers but with dynafit verticals and boots are Garmont radiums, always bring extra gloves, and some tuning gear. I'm looking to do a cull to shed some kgs but probably won't as I think I could shuffle some kgs to carry on if needed.

I want a bit of luxury this year. We had 23kgs going to Gulmarg last year, but that didn't include the duty free alcohol that we poured into empty coke bottles to reduce weight.

Years ago I remember coming home from the States with so many bags including a bike, that I accidentally left a bag on the carousel at Sydney airport only to get a phone call hours later asking if I had left a bag behind. To which I replied I don't think so. How times have changed.

2ndeffort

2ndeffort Active Member

I have a big roll on duffle bag that I take 2/3 empty and then normally fill it up at the outlets on the way back. I travel most weeks for work and i can survive on carry on for 2 weeks at a time so taking any kind of checked baggage seems strange.

Question for the brains trust. I gave up taking skis a few years ago, hated waiting around that oversize baggage area waiting for them to arrive then having to fit them in a taxi etc. I normally take my boots in my carry on bag but stuffing the boot bag under the seat on US domestic connecting flights can be interesting. I wondered about taking the chance of packing the shells in the checked baggage and only taking the footbeds in my carryon. If the worst happened and they lose my boots Insurance could buy me new shells and I still have the footbeds (obviously taking the chance on finding a good bootfitter wherever I am going etc). Taking a chance i know but worth the risk for the convenience of getting on/off connecting flights?

ODNT

ODNT Part of the Furniture

local up to 20kg + boot bag carryon
    O/S up to 10kg + boot bag carryon , allowing 10kg for purchases taken up by mostly by +1 cause hers is nearly full on leaving, does my head in. [​IMG] [​IMG]

skiflat

skiflat New Member

inexperienced = [​IMG] & [​IMG]

4 x 23kgs now [​IMG] is the allowance and it seems I'll be using it all

No it's a sign that I don't want to wash anything, and want to have enough clothes to ski, be causal, and be dressy in... I don't want to live like a bum.

I will be using 3 x 23kgs easily and the other one will likely be Snorkler's skis/boots

For me on a ski trip:
    1 x 23kgs is easily boots/jacket/thermals/helmet/gloves/snow boots etc etc
    1 x 23kgs for other clothes/shoes/boots/jeans etc
    1 x 23kgs skis, so that will be a 10kgs bag
    1 x 23kgs for other peoples skis and maybe board.

Oh, then there is carry-on.......
    Likely close to 10kgs for a spare set of clothes, PJ's for the plane, chargers/camera/netbook/tablet/mobile etc

piolet

piolet Old And Crusty Season Pass Gold

I guess you bought that after security, the duty free shops? some of those packs are a pretty sweet deal - wine gets overlooked by duty free shoppers usually focusing on the spirits. Did you have an internal connection with those bottles>was there a liquid limit on those flights within japan?

skiflat

skiflat New Member

Domestic trip - Summer - 10kgs or less and no carry-on!
    Overseas trip - Summer - 20kgs or less and 5kgs carry on

Ralph_implement

Ralph_implement Addicted Member

We have 4 large cases between 2 adults and two infants, plus a double stroller. Its way too much, but with kids you need a few contiencies....we have two portable cots because they are impossible to get everywhere, we also have a single car seat because one of the rental places only had one!!!

Once the kids get out of cots and strollers i reckon we can halve it!

Donza

Donza Pool Room

we never travelled with a porta cot...

we actually just used to tie our daughter down in bed
    (yes true story)

Ralph_implement

We need two....ratchet tie downs are frowned upon I am told!

markopolo

Wish I'd taken a couple of bottles with me ! ( next time!) [​IMG]

Red_switch

Red_switch Part of the Furniture

Are you freaking kidding?!

At least buy lighter shit!

Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty Season Pass Gold

I think skidown is from the old school of luxury traveller that took trunks along with a valet. When there was no concept of travelling light.

Can't imagine how you'd possibly need 23 kgs of non ski clothing!

Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Season Pass Gold

For our family (2 adults, 2 kids)

Summer holiday
    1 x 25kg bag,
    each has a carry on of a couple of kg's

Winter holiday
    2 x snowboard bags at 25kg each,
    2 x suitcases at 25kg each,
    Kids carry on a couple kgs
    Adults carry on max kg's we can

smitty484

smitty484 Old And Crusty Season Pass Gold

This trip was 26kg check in (2 boards + avy gear) and about 7 or 8kg of carry on. Going for a month.

StuckinQld

StuckinQld Active Member

We took our portacot with us everywhere. Kid sleeps in the same bed every night regardless of location, certainly helps them settle. Our portacot mind you could fit in our backpacks and weighed 3.5 kg. has been a great investment. Donza, I assume you used something like the safe-t-sleep to strap 'em down?

seekingpow

seekingpow Dedicated Member

I've got about 20kg checkin plus carry on.

O&E roller + lib tech, bindings, boots, helmet, 2 sets of outerwear
    Light hiking pack (half empty, will come back full)+ icebreakers, jeans, jacket, undergarments, toiletries

Fair bit of weight in carry on pack: canon dslr, lumix micro slr, gopro, spare batteries, iPad, chargers, goggles, sunglasses, jeans and jacket to change into before landing.

Donza

Donza Pool Room

yeah exactly...she actually used it in her cot at home so when we went away it was no drama to wrap it around a single mattress...and it weighed nothing

Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Season Pass Gold

We always used the Phil and Teds travel porta cot...was sensational. Light weight and could be carried in hand luggage. We could even pull it out at the airport in the lounge and bubs could have a snooze any where. Oh and our children were swaddled for some time so we never really had an issue with them moving in their sleep.

Toto Warmlet

Toto Warmlet Dedicated Member

''When I was young we had to chew up our snowboards and hope they came out in one piece"

I've made family go in their clothes they wore and buy pj's and T's in Japan to make weight.

seekingpow

seekingpow Dedicated Member

That cost to weight ratio of buying clothes and pjs is probably higher than an overweight fee

StuckinQld

StuckinQld Active Member

Yep, ours is the Phil and teds. I love the roof on it so they can't get out! We also used the safe-t-sleep. Travelled 5 weeks in Europe And 4 weeks in US with the Phil and teds, brilliant.

claydough

claydough Member

Weighed everything tonite. Fly out in morning,3 bag@.15 kg each. 2
    ski bags 6kg each. Carry on boot bag filled with socks, cords. adaptors,
    socks,( boots } better check....8kg. Ithink we'll do it easy..Don't need much when u ski everyday

Heinz

[​IMG] missed that bit.

Snorkler

He's actually not high class enough for the onboard supplied PJs [​IMG]

luvthabumps

luvthabumps Addicted Member Season Pass Gold

Mrs LTB packs way too much shit and then buys more. [​IMG]

I gave up throwing half her stuff out of the suitcase and then having her put it back in years ago. I just roll with it and tell her any excess luggage charges come out of spending money. Somehow we always manage to be right on the limit on the way home, although we did have one extra bag this trip as our Air NZ limit was 1 x 23 kg each and we had 4 pairs of skis, boots, pole, helmets. An extra bag on Delta was only $35 and $25 for Air NZ so really for $60 it wasn't a big deal.

For 3 weeks away I had my regular ski gear, a few t-shirts, one dress shirt, "apres" jacket ( which I wore on the plane) jeans and some trackies. More than enough to do even the top end restaurants in Park City.

When we did US a few years back and had 5 Business seats on QFF. I think we had nearly 300kg on the way home. Fark me that Amex bill was scary shit [​IMG]

Snorkler

So you fly economy in order to keep Mrs LTB from spending up big and blowing the AMEX [​IMG]

She's a bit like a gas, here purchasing expands to fit the weight limit given.

sara777

sara777 Addicted Member Season Pass Gold

This could be me [​IMG] I travel light and buy toiletries on the spot. My ski bag had never over 20 kgs, and carry on about 5. Doesn't matter if I go to Europe, US or Japan, same everywhere.
    Non skiing trips are laughing matter and my friends / partner always wonder " where is all your stuff?" [​IMG] [​IMG]

Heinz

Non skiing trips?

sara777

[​IMG] Not many of them, although lately I had some misfortunes and there were some non skiing included. However next skiing one is coming soon! [​IMG]

dawooduck

dawooduck Pool Room Season Pass Gold

Yep bought after security at the duty free 2 x 3 bottles each and no worries. On special at approx $10 less than street price. No internal connections. It was nice sipping a good red by the fire in Nozawa

sara777

The argument between Skidown and the rest of us about the concept of traveling light reminds me of the " old school " mountain climbing style - when climbers couldn't climb without establishing fully equipped camps and carrying heaps of sh@t.
    As opposed to " alpine style " of climbing when only lighter backpack is used all the way from the base camp [​IMG]

Donza

Donza Pool Room

Flying 1980's was an occasion...its not now

Heinz

or the British style of expedition vs the Norwegian style.

tbnext

tbnext Dedicated Member

I don't understand the overpacking, moved on from that years ago. Why take two sets of ski outerwear? Chances are you will buy a new set at destination so never evergreen than one. Same with mid layers, guaranteed you will buy these as souvenirs.

And isn't carry on limited to 5 kg's? It does totally annoy me that 95% of passengers think weights and carry on bag totals don't apply to them. I have no idea why airlines cop this.

I scuba dive and travel as well, generally there is more gear but warm places so less other stuff.

I have only been hit for excess with skis as they are "oversize", this really does annoy me as I am always below weight and bag # limits

Ralph_implement

We have one P&T version, great for the 9 month old, our 21 month old is large and would be able to topple it if he tried so we bought a cheapie from Walmart. We are going to jettison it before our final flight home, however we needed to lug it on a few internal flights.

If we did it again we would road trip, short internal flights with kids are a pain!!!

jgm

jgm Active Member

I don't know which airlines you are looking at. Australian airlines usually quote 7kg, but the US airlines I use don't have a weight limit. IMHO the airlines only have themselves to blame. Most of them claim to be full service, but then expect customers to pay extra for these services. My recent experiences with United are that the check-ins everywhere will tag your cabin bags to allow them to go in the hold, but you load & unload the trolleys yourself. It seems they are quite happy to carry your bags, but don't want to pay baggage handlers.

The ONLY time I've ever had cabin baggage weighed is at Melbourne International, & that has been by the International door dragon - not the airlines. That said, I've never had my laptop bag queried, & it usually has my laptop, video camera, still camera, TomTom, chargers for all of them, mobile phone, spare batteries, various cables etc etc. But my rollaboard & laptop bag are well under the cabin baggage size limits.

Which airline has charged you "oversize" for skis. All those I've used & looked at as potential alternates include skis as "sporting equipment" & now usually either charge a fixed fee (usually under A$50) or include them as part of your normal limit as long as they are within the weight allowance.

skiflat

skiflat New Member

I couldn't care less what others do, if you want to stuff around washing clothes while you are on holiday go for it!

I have no interest in that

I'll always have a large baggage allowance and I'll use most of it up

[​IMG]

Red_switch

Teddy bare too?

Red_switch

Stuff around washing clothes? What, maybe 10 minutes of your time in that? Most good hotels will take care of it for you...

What do you do with all that shit

I currently live, completely, out of one 70 L duffel bag. To be fair, my climbing pack is loaded and on standby in the car, but that's maybe 14 kg's with hardware.

CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com Moderator Season Pass Gold

I only bring what I can carry on my own.