the BC chatter thread

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by piolet, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

where were you thinking for friday? Graeme is supposed to be out near the Sentinel this week (not sure of exact dates). If he is still around i wouldn't mind heading out there for a ski with him. If he is camping out friday night i am tempted to take light weigh o/n gear and hook up with him. In this case you could head up for the day then ski back to Guthega on your lonesome on friday afternoon. If graeme isn't about then Mt Tate, leatherbarrel or twin valleys could be good for a day trip. Definitely better value there in terms of skiing time vs travel out.

PPP- you any chance of having friday off?

#201 Snow Blowey, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  2. PiniPowPow

PiniPowPow Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Im a chance, wouldnt be able to stay overnight though.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Addicted Member

For those going to Hotham, there's a lift deal on the w/end:

Buy 2 half day tickets this weekend and ski or ride for 2 full days! (Sat & Sun 13-14 Aug only). Adults $178, youths $150, kids $90.

I guess it reflects the no. of lifts not running.

4. Boodwah

Boodwah Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Hotham currently getting slammed. Anyone up for Twins run Saturday?

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Addicted Member

Still don't have a copy of the ski bum's dictionary ;-}

By slammed do you mean it's snowing heavily?

6. Boodwah

Boodwah Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I missed my copy too Ziggy, but am very excited by this unusual system coming through at the moment. Season 2011 is back on in the Vic Alps at least.

7. Boodwah

Boodwah Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Check out village cam Buller. Howitt Crosscut Saw next week...

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Addicted Member

Thank heavens. Literally.

Booked in for a tele lesson at H. tomorrow. Tho forecast is still 'windy'. Orchard and Keogh closed today; prob Drift will be tomorrow. Bugga.

9. Boodwah

Boodwah Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

You'll be teleing in deep fresh. If you've got the legs, a walk up to the top of Gotcha then down around the spur out to Loch and then the top of Orchard (which they wont open b/c they're lazy buggers) will reward you handsomely. All of the terrain around Golden Point will be heaven tomorrow.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Addicted Member

Thanks for the tips.

Will need to pack skins.

If you can read tea leaves, will they get their ar*ses into gear and groom the Orchard for Friday?

It's mileage I need; Orchard and Drift are my preferred areas inbounds.

11. Boodwah

Boodwah Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

They'll open Gotcha only. Which suits me fine!

12. GS

GS Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Well that cam did it for me, I need to itch this SDS syndrome. Can't be away for weekend but have packed and heading up to Stirling tomorrow for hopefully first turns of the season. Will camp up top somewhere and play around in the Bowl. Back Friday evening.

#212 GS, Aug 10, 2011
  13. mr

mr Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Silver

ok boodwah, you have permission tomorrow create bootpacks on machinery, out of eagle ridge back to gotcha, and out of spargos. Perhaps if you have some time tiptoe back round to dargo bowl and blowhard and reconsolidate those that might have filled in with the new snow. I think you said there's one out of womens downhill too, just get in there and make sure thats nice too. cheers

14. mr

mr Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Silver

my friend was up at stirling when all the trees came down a few weeks ago, said it was quite freaky. big ass snowgums just busting off at the base from the ice load. i assume its all cleaned up?

15. ians 158

ians 158 Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

It was when i was last up there,Bluff spur tk anyway.Alot of clearing.Well done to the crew up there.
    Some parts of the track looked like a cyclone had gone through.

16. ians 158

Season Pass Gold

[​IMG]

#216 ians 158, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  17. GS

GS Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

crikey, didn't realise damage was so extensive [​IMG]

#217 GS, Aug 10, 2011
  18. Bluebear

Bluebear Active Member

Ian,
    Tell them about the one you tried to jump!!!

19. ians 158

Season Pass Gold

You mean that twig that sent me into orbit?

20. Boodwah

Boodwah Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

On to it. Bummer about the rain tho.

#220 Boodwah, Aug 11, 2011
  21. damian

damian Addicted Member

Snowy and Pini - I am very wet from today. At least all my gear is very wet. So I think I'll miss tomorrow to dry out. It is pretty bleak in Perisher with extremely wet snow to 1900m (and probably higher) after rain that turned to sleet and some fakes and ice pellets. What a horrible turn of weather given the nice conditions we had this week.

22. Ziggy

Ziggy Addicted Member

Rain and slop at Hotham today. Dammit.

23. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

No worries damian. Was thinking of missing it also. Next time.

#223 Snow Blowey, Aug 11, 2011
  24. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

20 degrees here in Adelaide today, clear skies and a hot sun. Not good.

25. tele-whippet

tele-whippet beard stroker
    Season Pass Gold

3.9*C here and about to book in for knee surgery, having seen surgeon today.
    New pain-free knee = good = more ski & climb = life
    New pain free knee = approx $4000

26. Boodwah

Boodwah Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

That seems pricey to me - what are you having done?

27. tele-whippet

tele-whippet beard stroker
    Season Pass Gold

Partial meniscectomy, the main cost will be the private hospital for 1 day, approx $2000!! [​IMG]
    Could have waited about 1 year to have it done in the public system but thats too long a wait in discomfort to put up with.
    Ditched private health insurance a few years ago, after HCF refused to pay for some major dental work, even though I had top dental cover. [​IMG]
    Since then I put away the equivalent $ in premiums for health expenses (and sometimes skis [​IMG] )

#227 tele-whippet, Aug 12, 2011
  28. Boodwah

Boodwah Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Just talking to orthopod now who reckons total out of pocket for uninsured at hospital where we're working now wld be less than 3K all inclusive.

29. Ziggy

Ziggy Addicted Member

Try India.

Bring back a superbug to share.

30. Ziggy

Ziggy Addicted Member

Had a day pootling around on the BHP today; did the Heathy spur loop counterclockwise but dropped down a gully towards the end and climbed up behind Ropers Lookout. Got a few half baked teles in after having to work on the Switchbacks to get them into ski mode.

Snow was icy and took a fair time to soften.

Potholes are emerging down lower and snow bridges across creeks take a bit of finding if not a bit of courage.

Some pics here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30283858@N07/sets/72157627296467259/

Spot Messenger test: http://www.findmespot.com/mylocation/?id=5fyzj/36.85793S/147.32857E

#230 Ziggy, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  31. Graeme

Graeme Just Registered
    Endless Winter

SB, after warning you off Thurs p.m., Friday was a Bluebird Day. We were keen after 2 days mainly in the tent. Nice skiing on north and east facing slopes, heavy ice crust anywhere else. We had an "interesting" ski down, reaching Illawong Bridge at sunset after various things happening such as chasing an escaped ski. Nice full moon took us to Guthega. Will get around to a TR in time.

#231 Graeme, Aug 13, 2011
  32. Graeme

Graeme Just Registered
    Endless Winter

roughly 28/8 to 8/9 I'll be around Hotham if anyone is up for a day trip or some sidecountry somewhere (following a Feathertop trip the preceding week).

33. Ziggy

Ziggy Addicted Member

Would be up for a day tour on & from the 5th.

Let's hope The Frog is right and more snow will come this mid-week.

34. telemarx

telemarx Addicted Member

Skied the new rig on the weekend. The plan was for some backcountry but it rained on Thursday & the surface looked bulletproof so a lift ticket was purchased.

So, the verdict on the Verdicts? They rock! My set up is now BD Verdict 170 with the Bombers on, pushed by BD Push boots. I'm one very happy camper.

The inbounds skiing was dodgy on Friday, very icy & I was struggling to get an edge. I admit I was worried I'd bought a dud set-up. But as I got used to the stiffer ski I sorted myself out. With the continued cold the snow dried out & the groomked stuff was excellent. The skis blasted through the sugary stuff & really ripped. Coming down to 170 from 181 means I can push these babies around super-easy. Bring on Japow!

35. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

You'll need to fatten those Verdicts up for Japow telemarx.

36. Risca1961

Risca1961 Active Member

Graeme, Ill be in DP from the 4th to the 11/9 and would be keen for a day trip. keep me posted

37. TropicalPow

TropicalPow Dedicated Member

Great photos mate,

Always wondered how the Markers touring setup ,affects the flex of a ski.

I suppose if it is the only binding someone has had on a ski ,there is no way to tell, but do manufacturers ever test that ?

With a standard heel/tow set up on your average alpine binding, the heel piece has a certain amount of movement rearwards, not so , the Marker Duke style touring plate.

Any thoughts ?

#237 TropicalPow, Aug 17, 2011
  38. Ziggy

Ziggy Addicted Member

Just a request as an aside, if folk want to quote a reply can they drop the pics? Some of us are on limited and/or exxy internet plans. TIA.

39. PiniPowPow

Season Pass Silver

Thanks TropicalPow, went for a nice ski yesterday and will post some more shots when I get a chance.

The Markers seem to be working ok for me. I had Dukes last year and am on the Tour F12's this year. They ski awesome and are good enough on the uphill. If you look at some of the international forums there are some pretty big durability issues however.

Not sure how the flex works. I believe that plate allows some movement with the ski similar to most ski/binding combo all mountain skis. Maybe someone has more info on this?

It has rained all day today at Perisher, not looking good!

40. Ziggy

Ziggy Addicted Member

Had a morning at Falls practising what dossa5 taught me. Ridge was in cloud the and snow was pretty damn good.

Things seem to me to be coming together as a continuous flow but I could be wrong.

It's hard to unlearn the 'Australian' stance and tighten up but in the softer snow off-piste it's really paying off.

The big psych. thing I'm benefitting from is to focus on a point well down the slope and ski towards that. So I'm not looking at the snow just in front of the skis, and getting put off by the apparent speed and the bumps.

41. telecrag

telecrag Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

See the line, ski the line.

I am still working on that one in more techy terrain. I have a tendency to ski towards a point, just reacting to terrain as I go, which pulls the vision in too close. By following a line you are active, rather than reactive, which makes it easier to flow, and stay off the brakes.

It will never end, which I love.

42. Ziggy

Ziggy Addicted Member

Same here.

Til I get some mates to push me off the Feathertop cornice. Beats pulling a plakky bag over the head when the end is nigh.

There's more that dossa5 taught and I'm not there yet; it's his IP so I'm not gunna give it away.

I love the fact that the learning is hard and intensive and I can still improve though slowly.

43. Ziggy

Ziggy Addicted Member

Famous last words! V. slow learning today during another day lesson with dossa5. Bless him, he has the patience of a saint.

Did try his Morphics with Hammerhead bindings and they skied very nicely. Alongside that it's clear that Scarpa duckbills and Switchbacks on my World Pistes are not a good combo. Lots of slop. I was thinking this was unavoidable rocker.

Lots more practice needed with timing and rhythm.

44. damian

damian Addicted Member

Leaving Australia again after a great 3 weeks trip. Killing time at the airport.

My wife just caused a few concerns at the security scan. In the rush to pack up the campervan yesterday my rather nasty looking fold out mountain knife and a pair of fishing pliers that I found by the lake made it into her carry-on luggage along with a bag of carrots (I eat carrots). Apparently carrots with a pair of pliers and electrical wiring looks like the b word (to scared to even type it in an airport!). The knife didn't help at all. We all saw the funny side of it, eventually even the guy combing very carefully through her stuff. But you should have seen the face of the person watching the x-ray screen! wide eyed: "um, Bob, can you come here and look at this...". Two sets of wide-eyes.

My unfortunately limited time in the Snowy's Main Range over the last three weeks is now amongst the most personally significant moments in my short backcountry skiing life, probably the most significant if I consider the people I met along the way. More Australian should get out there - I doubt they know what they are missing. I wish we had more terrain like that in Hakuba. I'll probably write something up later.

Australia is expensive, there is no escaping it, almost no point dwelling on it either. So here are some non-skiing related items that were not a price gouge rip-off and made my trip here easier:
    - Small campervan with kitchen: $1400 for three weeks (no insurance)
    - Prepaid phone: buy it at the airport for $20, add $30 credit, lasted 3 weeks.
    - USB 3G modem: buy for $50 plus $30 credit which also lasted 3 weeks.
    - The diggings and Island Bend. Fantastic free camping with excellent toilets. It amazes me how many people drive right by them (in their huge 4wd's). Apparently no one sees the value of a campfire in the gum trees and wombats under the stars on dry ground next to a flowing river and only 20 minutes from the snow. Besides a few nights in other locations, I lived peacefully and happily in these places for three weeks.

cheers
    damian

ps - After 10 years away, Sydney appears to be full of MacDonalds eating Australian Mega Fauna who mostly breed loud spoilt rude infant Mega Fauna. Big is the new small and I doubt they even realise it has happened. They should eat more carrots.

pps - Contrary to what I was lead to expect, I was able to buy an annual $190 NSW Parks Pass for my rental car. Lucky! They just wrote 'rental' and my rego on a short stay sticker, nothing more to it

45. Ziggy

Ziggy Addicted Member

Safe trip back Damian.

It's been good reading about your experiences.

46. PiniPowPow

Season Pass Silver

Nice work Damian, see you next year I suppose?!

47. Camelot

Camelot Dedicated Member

Nice one Damian,living the dream!

48. telemarx

telemarx Addicted Member

Agree. Camped at IB for the first time for some years the other weekend. I always loved camping there & it hasn't changed.

#248 telemarx, Aug 23, 2011
  49. Rimey

Rimey Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Standing out on Loch a couple of weeks ago,
    looking down Machinery then over to The Razorback and Feather,
    Next trip, Damian ...

50. Camelot

Camelot Dedicated Member

Finally got out to McKay on Sunday. Was pretty icy on the Southside, couple of skiiers where doing figure 8's on the North side and that looked more fun but we left them to it.That place would be be amazing with some fresh snow on it!