the BC chatter thread

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by piolet, Jul 14, 2011.

Ziggy

Ziggy Addicted Member Season Pass Silver

I'm an old phart too. Learned on Karhu Kodiaks. Still occasionally get out on my Karhu Surpremes and leather boots, for fun.

Have a pair of Karhu Guides and the glide is horrible. Positive pattern and lots of it. Sure, great for climbing but overkill.

OK, the Eons are 62mm underfoot (cp 78mm), so much less pattern overall. The Epoch is 68mm underfoot.

The S-bound 98 is 69mm underfoot but will have a negative pattern if the new base is like the old turning crown base, that doesn't drag like the Omni Base does. Needs a bit more effort and technique but the rewards are there too

telecrag

telecrag Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

Been saving them? (bombers). Are the verdicts the really stiff ones? Let us know how the binding matches up if so. I reckon it should work well with a stiff ski.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
    skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture Moderator Season Pass Gold

telemarx, a new rig, does that mean you'll take up skiing again?

Got the car port footings poured, skis waxed, pack packed and ready to hop onto the bus for the 13 hour trip tomorrow night for 3 days of falling snow at Falls.

Graeme

Graeme Just Registered Endless Winter

What about the wider S-bounds, 78 under foot - anyone skied them?

Ziggy

No - didn't know they existed til I went to confirm that Boundless were no longer made (though they are in a diff. incarnation as you can see).

The wider ski could be good competition for the Guides/Annums.

The Bluff, these days 62mm underfoot would be regarded as narrow for BC touring. Not enough float unless you go really long, and then turns become harder. It's all about trade-offs. Suggest you look at hiring a pair of Boundless and see what you think. Wider for float, decent sidecut and shorter length for turns. When I bought mine, the retailer's advice was 179cm long for mainly touring; 169cm for mainly turning (I weighed about 75 kg then). And don't buy mainly on price; getting the optimal ski for your preferred set of trade-offs is worth every penny. DAMHIKT.

2 more burritos worth.

The Bluff

The Bluff Active Member Season Pass Silver

My first ski was a Karhu Kinectic as well,snapped it in half on top of Sterling about 20 yrs ago..moved on to Karhu XCD GT for touring ..then got some K2 Super Stinx for turning ( which I still use)..then kids.

I have always observed getting better grip from Karhu's than other skis..I trade off grip in our hard snow most days,particularly if skiing with a pack.

I was looking at the 185 cm Eons for me ( 82Kg on a good day)

Cheers

stridercdh

stridercdh Active Member

I ski S-bound 98s. They're great. I use G3 Targas T9s and Garmont Excursions. The skis do not use the old Fischer base, but a new positive grip pattern very similar to the Epoch. Excellent grip uphill, easy to turn and reasonable kick n glide. I use the 189cm cos I'm relatively solid. I'm only intermediate at this stage but I bought the skis this season as an all-rounder and they seem to fit the bill very nicely.

dossa5

dossa5 Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

just got back from razor back. couldnt believe I forgot for my ice skates. someone put me in the right direction here. why wouldnt you just get some AT boards, mount some bindings and with skins go anywhere. why the pattern base boards ?

Ziggy

Thanks; you just answered the q about the base I emailed to Fischer.

The squarish fish scales shown on their website do look similar to the Epoch's.

Poop.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
    Madshu

Madshu Just Registered

Hi there

Was thinking this Saturday of heading out from Lake Eucumbene side Bald Hill/Adams Hut east say Big J direction - any ideas on snow condition?

Ziggy

For rolling country like the BHP with a pattern base you don't have to regularly skin on and off. Skins cost. There's not been a big tradition of skin use here in Aus. (I've been going out for 20 years here and have seen full length skins in use only once. When I skied in NZ, diff ballgame. The guide had never seen pattern bases! Long pitches up, long runs back down, worth the effort and cost. OK, the effort isn't that great after practice.).

dossa5

dossa5 Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

first time I used pattern based was with you guys ziggy. felt kinda cool bouncing on the double camber. reckon if I loaded the ski up they would wash out a lot, and be kinda spooky trying conditions. ?

weerab

weerab Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

I bought Fischer rebounds last year and was advised to get 169cm ( I weigh 78kg). I probably would have been better off with the 179cms as I am mainly into touring and do find that they are a bit difficult to keep straight.

telemarx

telemarx Addicted Member

I haven't been in here much but I haven't given up skiing either [​IMG]

I had a week at Perisher week before last & have got a couple more trips in the plan plus a trip to Japan for January. Went to Japan year before last so I'm pretty pumped to run the new skis over there.

Been using the bombers on my rig for about 4 or 5 years. Whilst I have been tempted by the NTN thing the Bombers are so good I have decided to stick with them. Yeah, the Verdict is the stiff ski. I rented some older model ones from PP to demo for a day & liked them so bought the new model. As I'm (ahem [​IMG] ) solidly built I didn't have too much problem flexing them.

Ziggy

dossa5, you would've been on Fischer Rebounds or Outtabounds, can't recall which. Either way, it's a tour-oriented ski.

The other thing from what I can see is that these trad chookfooter skis don't often get much attention paid to the included angle of the metal edge or to maintaining it with filing or honing. Poor grip on hardpack or ice can be more than spooky ... and tele turns on a 2x camber ski is just comic.

Anyway, I've only had my 'waxing' skis (World Piste) out once BC, with kicker skins. On the hardpacked Mt McKay road. Cruising down a gentle pitch of road without skins or pattern base was a revelation. Damn things felt like they were on ball-bearings.

No wonder Graeme and co. put up with skating to do A to B. And with full packs. Must be bl**dy fit though ;-}

So the WPs will be the skis for Bogong next month; will take both kickers and full length skins. And globstopper. And boot crampons. And, and and ..

Graeme

That skating with a pack on doesn't happen very often because I'm not often on that terrain. I think it's a pretty efficient way to travel in term of energy per km though, compared with plodding along with skins on. Wish I could clain to be bl**dy fit.

Ziggy

On flat-packed I can skate with Boundless and pack on, no probs at all.

Just needs half a minute stopped and panting every few minutes of motion :-{

Skating with a pattern base is a pox anyway. Only do it to pop the eyes of younger pharts.

Only small thrills are left in that dept.

telecrag

telecrag Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

Pattern base are for travelling. No way could a skinner keep up on say a K2K. I skied Club Lake on my Boundless a few years ago, would never have tried it on my old soft sided Spauldings, with leathers. Not as rewarding doing runs though, so if thats the main game (has been for a while now) I take the resort gear and skin it.

Starting to want to travel on the patterns again now though. You can do a 40k day in spring pretty easy.

Ziggy

dossa5 reckons 30 sec for a skin change ...

Yeah, the snow conditions & gradient are key variables, along with your gear, your purpose and your prefs.

Peeps used to do the Hotham to Falls race. Can't recall the details but duct tape with klister on one side figured somewhere. Prob skaters for the climb out of Cobungra gap. Strip it off at the top. That's creative.

damian

damian Addicted Member

I'm going to be in the Jindabyne area from late on Sep 31st until Aug 22nd. I'll be busy either working or prepping for work for more half of those days, but free for the rest. In various carparks and free camp areas keep you eye out for a small campervan, probably with 'Apollo' written on it. If you see it, please say hello. In case there is more than one van like that, I'll be the guy eating 30cm long strips of thick bacon and lamb chops for breakfast. I'm actually a bit of a hermit/recluse at home and when traveling, but once someone says g'day I'm really happy to get a chance to chat and always talk too much, so please do. I wont have a lot of internet access, but will check here as often as I can if someone want to arrange a meet-up.

I'd like to cheer any of my campervan visitors with a big bottle of incredibly fine quality cheapo supermarket local Hakuba sake, but I already have excess luggage at considerable expense. Perhaps I can manage one of those 500ml milk cartons of the bland-brew.

Also because of my excess luggage I can't bring any camping gear besides a 3 season bag and a 3/4 length summer mat and a bivy, plus a micro gas stove. However I hope to get out for one overnight trip with that gear.

It is a long non-stop trip: 5-6 hour drive to the airport here in Japan, flight to Sydney, drive to Jindabyne.

This will be my longest trip to Oz in 10 years, and I've only heard a currawong once in that time. So excited.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
    :thumbs: maverik likes this.
    Graeme

I'll be up on the Main Range, Crags vicinity second week of August with satanas, roughly Mon-Fri depending on weather. There was some prior discussion about a BC SIC that week. If there is still interest in that, we can meet up there if nothing else organised. Damian, if you are around then I am sure we could find a few bits of additional gear between us to make life easier.

Rimey

Rimey Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

I'm on Damian's avvy course on 6-7th Aug.
    Looking to bolt on a day or two either side.
    Was planning just day trips. Can organise camping gear.

Ziggy

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
    damian

damian Addicted Member

Graeme - a BC SIC would be good timing. You'll have to excuse me, but I know what SIC means, but do not know what it stands for. S is for snow. And...

Thanks also for the mention of loaner gear. Unfortunately the more O realistically look at my calendar, the harder it will be to get out for an o/n trip. in the second week.

Fast_limey - looking forward to seeing you.

Thank you also to others for their PM's.

Shrek

Shrek Old And Crusty Moderator

in years past this site was called sno info before the name was changed to ski dot com. so SIC is Sno Info Conference. As usual it is an excuse for a pissup.

I might be able to turn up some time around then.

Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

The cripple meadow skipped out to Porcupine Rocks Last Sunday.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
    Ziggy

Sweet.

Camelot

Camelot Dedicated Member

McKay from the Rocky Knolls on Saturday
    [​IMG]

Ziggy

Loverly.

The Bluff

The Bluff Active Member Season Pass Silver

Showing off my girl at Stirling this week.
    [​IMG] [/img]

See the Mt Stirling conditions thread
    Link

Ziggy

Graeme

Must get some of those Marquettes [​IMG]

damian

damian Addicted Member

Regarding the Thredbo one-ride/backcountry ticket: I just tried to buy one and no chance - only thing they had was a $31 Scenic Pass for a chairift, no skis allowed.

Is there something more I need to know? The girl at the window was adamant - no one-up pass, strictly no skis or boards for the scenic pass. And the scenic pass doesn't cover the Basin T-bar anyway. It was a pretty sudden show-stopper for me first morning here.

Lovely being here anyway after 12 hours of total drive time and 8 hours of flight. Warm sunny spring-feel morning on the Thredbo carpark, fast clouds in the alpine. I was camped at Diggings for now, but probably moving to Island Bend and ditching lift systems altogether if I can't solve the Thredbo one-ride hurdle.

cheers
    damian

climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Season Pass Gold

Go to a different window.

skifree

Good to see you out phatcripple. I did not think you'd be out of the wheel chair until Spring. Nice looking snow there.

tele-whippet

tele-whippet beard stroker Season Pass Gold

Go into the ticket office, thats BS

skifree

damian, that is strange, I've never had trouble buying the single return ticket even with the pack on my back. And the lifties have always gone out of their way to make loading and unloading easy. Ask for the Supervisor next time.

Graeme

$31 it is - usually friendly and no problem, though a premium price for one ride in season. Just confirm that you are on touring gear and thre should be no problem getting skis on. Sure, it covers the chair only.

damian

damian Addicted Member

Thanks guys - I even tried a different line in case the girl I first spoke to was new or really strict.

So if I were to buy a $31 scenic pass for the Kosci Express and just get on that with my touring gear - the lifty won't stop me?

Today my main work was to check out the Signature Hill area, so after the lift rejection I went there from DHG via the various Rams Heads, a far more educational route for me anyway (but I still need to solve the lift ticket thing). It was a nice traverse with some easy skiing on the way back. I have a bucket of positive things I'd love to say but don't have the time right now (posting this from my van). Pity that whole zone is split up right at the corner of a few Dept of Lands maps (the green ones). Wx: Above freezing with moderate winds from the NW and broken clouds with plenty of blue around.

skifree

My experience is the Thredbo lifties will be V helpfull.

piolet

piolet Old And Crusty Season Pass Gold

Damian, get the 'sutmap', available in jindy at paddy's & wilderness sports. Also, when buying the ticket, "Can I have a scenic kossie return ticket please". They'll ask that you know you cant use it to ski the resort and must download, just say yes (obviously). I've never had a problem getting a ticket but have had hesitations from the tix sellers but nothing but a great welcome from the lifties like the others report. Hope you're enjoying your stay down there!

Graeme

I have never had a problem, done it many times with AT skis and large pack or daypack. sometimes they want to check that you ohave touring gear not downhill only, but no question about being able to take skis up.

Ziggy

I asked in the office today; it's still on offer.

Telemark Phat

Skifree don't tell my physio or bone guy, they've banned me from skiing for another three weeks.

skifree

My understanding Phatskatur is that physical work stimulates bone growth and such. Keep up with the cheese and iced coffee for calcium intake.

Ziggy

Had a day tele-ing with Telecrag at Thredbo today. Very kind of him to show me around and share gear and technique tips.

Geez, the place is big cp. Vic resorts.

damian

damian Addicted Member

TP - I didn't know you had injured yourself.

Thanks once again. Others have confirmed what I am reading here. Everyone has been very helpful. My error was probably this: I parked my car at the first carpark, then went to Friday Flat to buy a ticket, with the intention of then heading to the Kosci Express. At FF I think they were expecting me to ride Merrits, hence the strong 'no skis' situation. Please let me be clear though - no one was ever rude or unhelpful and all along I was sure it was me who was was just 'doing it wrong'.

Today at the Kosci Express ticket office I bought a scenic ticket no problems at all, even said I was going touring in the backcountry. All good and easy. [​IMG]

+1.4C at about 2070m today at noon with a high dark cloud cover and strong winds from the NW. I was taking a fair bit of wind after lunch and lost a few old skin cells to the ice-blasting. I had fun and accomplished more on top of yesterday's look around. Nice rock up there.

I was finished in time to enjoy a very relaxing beer by the river at the Diggings before the warm sun dropped behind the snow covered hills. A band of deep gun metal grey/blue cloud passed over with enough sunlight to bring a richness to the colours in the bush with the red in the trees and white of the dead trunks very vivid around the river bend and on the hill side. Tiny fish were rising, small puffy white clouds drifted by across the gun metal backdrop, I could see snow... and it was a very very very nice moment for me.

Telemark Phat

I got a severe concussion,a displaced clavicle and a couple of fractures in my humerous. 3 more weeks of being a one armed bandit before I get out of my sling.

Graeme

bad luck TP - in ski season to make it worse.

mr

mr Part of the Furniture Season Pass Silver

didnt see ya up at edmonsens, skifree....went out sunday morning came back later today