1. 17 Feb 2014. Looking for Conversation, Sports Bar, Tech Talk and the rest of the Apre topics?
    You must now register and be logged-in to view these topics. Registration is free and only takes a few minutes.

Take your dog to the snow

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by teckel, May 25, 2012.

teckel

teckel Old And Crusty Commercial Member

A great opportunity to take your woofer from Melbourne to the snow this weekend. Just a day trip. Head out on the Maroondah Hwy through Healesville and Narbethong. Don't turn off to Marysville at Narby. Keep going to Buxton, then turn right towards Marysville. About 3.8 km from that turnoff, turn left in to Mt Margaret Rd. Follow that up - tending to keep right when you come to a fork. Mt Margaret (1200m) always gets a good cover when there's snow down to about 1000m. It's state forest, so dogs are permitted. Suggest you carry snow chains & plenty of towels to dry off your pooch.
    weerab

weerab Dedicated Member

I had a workmate who used to go up there years back with his old Landy, how would a Forester go, do you think? Any tracks for skiing, the road I guess?
    Heinz

Heinz Part of the Furniture Season Pass Holder

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
    teckel

Shouldn't be a prob with a Forester - but do take chains for it. The trick really,is just to stop when it no longer feels safe. People often ski along Blue Range Rd which goes off to the left near the top - just keep an eye out for 4WDs having fun in it.
    teckel

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
    tele-whippet

tele-whippet Dedicated Member Season Pass Holder

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
    chunky

chunky Old And Crusty

Ha I just read that TR One good friend report. Awesome!
    Boarder_girl_5

Boarder_girl_5 Well-Known Member

How do you think a 2WD go getting up there with chains?
    teckel

It's been done. It's a 2WD road, but it's gravel. No snow-clearing. As I said above, take it easy and stop when it no longer feels safe. There will be no one to tell you when to fit chains, so you need to make that call yourself. Some roads (eg; Blue Range Rd I think) are subject to seasonal closures. But I'll check on that when I'm in the shop in the morning.
    Boarder_girl_5

Boarder_girl_5 Well-Known Member

Awesome thanks for that ( =
    cerberus

cerberus Well-Known Member

/thread resurrection!

Looking at taking our little woofer up there on Sunday cause we've been dying to get her to the snow!

Do you know if there is any snow up there right now Tecks? Or would we be relying on the predicted low snowfalls this weekend?

sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture Season Pass Holder

Do they have doggy jail like in Canada? Ski patrol 'confiscate' dogs running loose and put them in jail to prevent skier/canine interface incidents.
    cerberus

cerberus Well-Known Member

Not much skiing at Mt. Margret I'm aware of! If there is, I guess I'll pack my skis as well!