SUN PEAKS 2016 – 2017

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Ralph_implement, May 26, 2016.

Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Season Pass Gold

You may just see the Crystal clan in SP in 2018 :D making final decisions now :D

:thumbs: KneeDeep and Ralph_Plough like this.
    gareth_oau

gareth_oau Old And Crusty Season Pass Gold

We arent sure about '18 yet. I suspect we wont be going

Scooter

Scooter Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

Interesting reading the comments about snowbombing - thought it was some sort of snow event (like big air or something) but see its just a music fest. Sure I have seen MS post about music fests in the past (for sure seen some summer ones) so wouldn't have thought it would have been a big deal - figure any event attracting visitors would have been a good thing. Was the concern just the perceived large numbers of young folk mixing with alcohol and drugs and possible consequences? Why was this different to other local events? Sounds like you personally didn't notice any impacts @Hudson with your comments about not seeing anybody around etc.

Not sure where Steamboats Music Fest sits in terms of snow music festivals but would have said it was a massive drawcard/event for the town and ski hill. Not sure on numbers but a few years ago tickets were capped at 5K so not sure on current numbers but it is a big event and having been on the ground for the last 7 years (this year was the 32nd so its pretty long running) I don't think I have experienced any negativity to the event from locals or visitors alike. On the contrary the vibe has always been pretty positive.

Huge benefit to local businesses - this year I understand occupancy was 100% downtown and 90+% mountain area so pretty much the entire economy would have seen some benefit. Sure the town/mountain is busy (ski hill and restaurants etc.) and no doubt there are some negatives (as you would expect from combining young folks with alcohol and drugs) but as I said the vibe as I have experienced it has been pretty good (amazing amounts of young guys this year - like 10 to 1 to girls - was funny watching some of them heading out and returning home within the hour LOL). They do some registration or sign on for next years event and it was sold out for next season in an hour or so I heard. Crazy good deal when you look at it as well (accommodation, events and skiing/riding for bugger all) and just looking at that snowbombing site seems to be similar (but not sure skiing/riding is included in the ~300 odd).

You need to find out how the speed dating went on the chairlift @Hudson - that sounded like an interesting activity. Maybe they should have put the "couples" onto the burf chair (assuming that was how it worked) as you guys have said that was a 20 min ride time or something but then I guess it wouldn't have been speed dating :D

Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Season Pass Gold

:(

Hudson

Hudson Well-Known Member

Scooter,
    I am not a good source for attendance figures. Snowbombing was advertised as having a ticket cap of 5000 back when it was first announced. During the Event I never saw great numbers on the hill. Actually not many at all. By 11am the numbers increased and by observing their tickets, most had day passes so I assumed they were here for the music festival. I was finished by 1 pm. Still not a lot of people even at the on hill day events. The evening venues at the base of the hill did not attract the numbers that the summer concerts do. At 9:30ish pm the amplified sound ended and the crowds dispersed to indoor events. I think the Forest Stage event set in P5 was hugely popular. Lots of energy and light show. I could just hear it from our place if I went on the deck. I live above the Village Poma.

Most of the crowd were 20-30. Anyone I asked, stated that they were having a great time :) The usual garbage was evident on hill and other places but the cleanup appeared to be efficient. The Summer concerts produce the same but is difficult to see in the grasses.

Speed dating on the 22 minute Burf :) If you don't like the person, jump or push them off :)

I think it was a success for the Village core. Who knows if this is a one off or will they choose a different resort next year. Time will tell. A well behaved lot as far as I could tell. Not my music choice but I'm almost 40 years their senior.

My age group vacated the mountain in advance. The majority of the 40-70 crowd were not happy and were as vocal as the Hillary supporters after their loss to The Donald.

sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

Hard to knock anything that brings a crowd in April. Golf courses in town are open and the day visitors are almost non existent now.

:thumbs: dawooduck likes this.
    Hudson

Hudson Well-Known Member

Light snow but had to do errands. The better half said it was good spring skiing :)

The next three days include daily top ups of fresh. Always thought spring skiing was delightful. Warm temps, corn snow and sun. Just don't go out early if there was a freeze over night.

Lots of village snow melt. Still have 2 m snow banks on property. Won't be cutting the lawn anytime soon.

Oh, did I mention that it has been snowing the past hour with brilliant sunshine:)

Hudson

Hudson Well-Known Member

In the past week, this snowbank beside my drive, lost .5 m of snow. Interesting seeing all the layers of snowfall this season. Major melt in the village while the alpine base grows :)

Hudson

Hudson Well-Known Member

Mr Hudson, The Beastie, guarding the deck while the school kids get picked up. Also, checking out the squirrel situation.

Hope to see everyone next season! Bye for now.

northsail

northsail Dedicated Member

Thanks for the updates and pictures Hudson. Making me really excited for next January.:woohoo:

Hudson

Hudson Well-Known Member

Had to post again. At least 10 cm fell up top. Stay above the Elevation Chair and it was mid-winter conditions. Due to the heavy snowfall, vis was compromised. Stayed on groomered narrow runs.
    I thought only a dusting and was surprised.

Looked at Snow-forecast.com and tomorrow is giving 12 cm+ during the day. All fluffy!

Met three couples today who are Whistler Refugees. What's with the migration over to SPs! All had their names on a realtor's list for condos that come up. All wanted to move here as their main residence. Hmmmmmm.........I asked about Big White and Silver Star. It is the municipality and the promise of four season activities going forward. Still have the shoulder season of one month at each end but I wasn't going to mention that. Real estate is half the price here and at Whistler, ski-in ski-out is rare.

I would say that the Whistler Refugee has taken over from the Aussies as the predominant non-resident tourist group. Saw fewer Aussies this year who were not working here. Are you guys going elsewhere?

Hey, I never saw MS on the slopes at all this winter. His skiing days may be behind him as cold temps are not compatible with his condition. I think the new Mrs Watson wants to vacate the winter season for a warmer climate. So would my wife :( Too bad, as he was a good promoter of the resort. Oh well, the only certainty in life is change.

I know that some of you come every second year and this was the off year. For those of you coming next year, you will see a big difference in the resort.

May report tomorrow.

:thumbs: northsail and Ralph_Plough like this.
    Ralph_Plough

Ralph_Plough Active Member

I managed to ski with MS a few times. Extreme cold (-20) was a bit hard on him but he seemed to manage the warmer (-10) ok. I am sure he will be showing a larger presence next season as his recovery progresses.

Still lots of Aus tourists this year, but with resort numbers up generally, I don't think Aussie numbers grew in proportion.

Hudson

Hudson Well-Known Member

Ralph hope you are right but we all know that MS lives for the day. Food comas accompanied by lavish enjoyment of beverages is not a recipe for recovery. I saw many patients in his condition who deteriorated over the following years without a lifestyle change. Gradually increasing the cardio exercise is key. Living at this elevation is also not kind to the heart. Stats are not kind. Reality bites. Like I said, I hope he recovers.

Scooter

Interesting @Hudson - hard to believe that people would actually leave the hill on account of the festival but anyway - guess it takes all sorts. No doubt anywhere you have a reliance on tourists/visitors and a local population you are going to get some friction or issues (well that seems to be the case wether snow or beach etc.) - catch 22 I guess. I'm with @sly_karma - would have thought events that increase visitation (at any point over the season) would have to be a good thing.

I know Steamboat seems to do the targeted group stuff pretty well and they have some big reoccurring events (like a couple of big music fests and regular annual things like the American Airlines ski week and it seems they have done the Nastar national event last couple of years etc.) and then there always seems to big groups being targeted (for example this season there was a massive college group booked on a 4 day trip which was dirt cheap for them and a few years earlier the Brother Hood of Ski had there annual get together there which was 1000+ I think).

Sure you notice it (like the College group - lots more young folk on the hill and busier around town etc.) but I guess if you have experienced how things are over peak periods like Xmas/New Year these blips don't make that much of an impact LOL

I still check MS's forum every now and again to see how you Aussie Expats and visitors went in Sun Peaks and whilst that has been pretty quiet lately (looked like MS was on a long work shift) he was getting out and about mid season on the slopes and for the Aussie visitors posting they all looked like they had a great time. Reckon its hard not to have a great time in the snow but I am somewhat biased :D

chunky

chunky Old And Crusty

That festival in Steamboat is awesome @Scooter and i fluked our timing to be there when it happened.

gareth_oau

I had a couple of slides with MS. He did hit a bump in the road and is progressing well.

He will be back on the slopes for the whole season next year I'm sure

:thumbs: Normo likes this.
    cqen2l

cqen2l Addicted Member Season Pass Gold

Good to hear @main street

:thumbs: Hudson and Normo like this.
    Hudson

Hudson Well-Known Member

Skied first three hours. 16cm since lifts closed yesterday. Unexpected quality up top.
    Elevation Chair.

:thumbs: Astro666, Ralph_Plough and northsail like this.
    Hudson

Hudson Well-Known Member

Rambler: coming home, not many tracks, noticeable difference in moisture content

Attached Files:

Hudson

Hudson Well-Known Member

Up top, if it had been groomed with 10 cm of fresh, it was mid-winter quality. Otherwise, one had to ski through 15-20 cm of a crud fresh snow combo from the past two days. Very leg tiring.

One day to go!

Hudson

Hudson Well-Known Member

Lower Morrisey at 7 pm local time. Still over a metre of snow on the south side of my roof. Most years I have less than 1/2 m at this date in April.

sly_karma

I'm in Whistler this week for races, I'll probably be a refugee by the end of it. It might have been the sound of rain pissing down after I shut off the alarm at 5:15, or the heavy gloppy snow, or the maze of lifts that go sideways and even downhill at times. But I think at the end of the day, it's that the place is too big. Just getting to the lift for our early load was tricky and lengthy: drive from Creekside, up to parking lot, put on boots next to car (yukky yukky povvo yukky), take gondola down to village to get ticket to ride a different gondola, wait for said gondola to open (OK, it was 6:15 am). And repeat at the end of the day (there is still skiable snow right to the village but it's whale snot and we'd had a long day).

Oh, and I haven't seen that many novice skiers in decades. Scary.

:thumbs: KneeDeep likes this.
    Hudson

Hudson Well-Known Member

No new snow but woke up to this. Got noticeably cooler overnight. Only -4 C in the village.
    Below a certain elevation, only groomers but above....:)

Hudson

Hudson Well-Known Member

Morrisey, shortly after the sun rose over the eastern ridge. At this time of year, Morrisey and the valley receives the sun it needs to warm the snow. For anyone thinking of a purchase here, it is important to take Sun exposure into effect. We have full sun all day, all year and it makes a world of difference. We get free heat after 10 am until 6 pm on sunny days from the middle of March until the end of heating season. In the summer months the roof overhang prevents the sun from heating up the house. Many others on our side of the Mtn have the same. Just saying.

Hudson

Hudson Well-Known Member

West Bowl this morning. Notice the T-bars are removed.
    The tracks speak for themselves.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    :thumbs: Astro666 and northsail like this.
    Hudson

Hudson Well-Known Member

High in the West Bowl w/o boot packing. Our destination was through the trees and hook left to the beginning of the 7 Mile. Nice fall line through 12 cm of dry powder. I took a video of this run but can't upload. The 7 Mile had 10 cm of wet coastal cement. Couldn't turn or do snow plow to check our speed. Took lower Expo to the Burf. Expo had softened by noon and was good spring corn. Worth enduring the 7 Mile to get the run through the WB Meadow.

Not one track in the whole Meadow

:thumbs: sly_karma and northsail like this.
    Hudson

Hudson Well-Known Member

Later more tracks from others. Thought having the T-bar closed would keep skiers away.
    April 14 and still great up top.

Hudson

Hudson Well-Known Member

Snowbombing 2017:
    The stakeholders are having a meeting to analyze results and how could they make it better.

Ryan, of Mtn High Pizza, was ahead of the game and was proactive. He varied his hours late into the wee hours of the morning. He recognized that there would be very little morning traffic at this event.

On the other hand, Peter E let his managers decide when they would close. Some chose the usual 9:30 PM food cut off. Well the crowd just got started at that time! Boy did he miss out!

Glad all the older local naysayers left the mtn as they would have put a damper on the festivities. Debbie downers!

Looks like Snowbombing Canada 2018 will continue. Why go somewhere new and experience the growing pains. They can build upon what was good and what "bombed". Pardon the pun.

The lack of visible trash after the event was testament to the organizers commitment to honour their cleanup promise. I see more trash at the Summer concerts organized by our own TSP and the Resort.

Hudson

Hudson Well-Known Member

Spoke to Frank Quinn on the Burf Chair. He is developing the Village Walk currently and Parallel One in the future. There will be no supply of one bedroom condos for the foreseeable future. I know that there is a "uge" backlog of buyers for this size unit.

I will put my neck on the line and predict that SPs real estate has another 5 year run before the next price softening/crash. Could happen sooner if YVR collapses. All in the supply and demand.

gareth_oau

any feedback on rental accommodation disasters from snowbombing?

Hudson

Hudson Well-Known Member

The organizers booked most of the hotel rooms in advance so a lot of Snowbombers stayed there. Sure they were noisy but all were there for the same party. Most condo rental agents took a healthy damage deposit per bedroom. Haven't heard of much damage.

:thumbs: gareth_oau likes this.
    Hudson

Hudson Well-Known Member

Snowing up top for the past while. Tomorrow will be great.

Scooter

Not sure if there is bigger in EU or anywhere else (Olympics I guess) but in terms of on snow events I was originally thinking Winter X Games in Aspen (which is combined festival with sporting and music etc.). Anyone been to one and seen/experienced what it is like? Was thinking vibe (local vs visitor) and impacts such as eats and accommodation etc.

Looking at the numbers a quick Google suggests in the last few years have achieved something like 115K attendance with the Sat numbers being just shy of 50K (48K I thought I saw) so that is a hell of a lot of people :eek: Would be interesting to hear first hand accounts about what its like in the town and across the hills.

Given the original Winter X Games were held at different resorts before permanently being held in Aspen you would think that would have been an absolute boon to have such an event. I wonder what all the old timers/locals there thought of the event initially and now some 15 years on?

Scooter

And talking CDN generally - Given Whistler was the premier destination resort (assuming NA as well) - what are some of their big draw card events? I have been there late season and they had a massive Mtn Biking event lower mountain with skiing/riding upper mountain which was pretty cool and I know when I was looking at them early this season they had some big bob sled event happening (as well as those facilities being an experience drawcard) so I am guessing they would have a fair and diverse range of "stuff" happening to keep those big visitation numbers up - aside from the ski/ride offerings of course.

gareth_oau

that's good new, and the damage deposits are a good idea - money hurts

Hudson

Hudson Well-Known Member

Hmmm......14 cm on driveway but 24 cm reported up top with -8 C.

April 15 and the Alpine snow base is still growing.

Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Addicted Member Season Pass Gold

I definitely didn't stay there long enough! :D

Hudson

Hudson Well-Known Member

Any report on today's ski conditions up top?
    Anyone there?

Hudson

Hudson Well-Known Member

Credit goes to neighbour Paul who made the ultimate sacrifice and ventured into the WB. Thanks for the photo! He had a wonderful time but noted that it got tracked out quickly as the word got out. Very few went through the meadow as the snow was heavy on the lower 7 mile. Light and fluffy!

Hudson

Hudson Well-Known Member

Looking back on the 2016-17 ski season. It was cooler than average. Made for great snow conditions.
    More top ups on a regular basis. Spent more time off piste than ever before because one could.

Now rates number one out of the past 9 and I thought last year was great!

chunky

chunky Old And Crusty

Looks like a great year.

gareth_oau

we were there from mid January for 4 weeks and didnt see huge amounts of new snowfall.

However (as usual) the temps were nice and cold and never went near zero, so the snow stayed in good shape and never saw any thaw/freeze

Hudson

Hudson Well-Known Member

Every year is different but from Mid-Feb to the end of ski season, the best snow can be found.
    I know that doesn't work into the traditional Down Under summer very well. My Neighbours from Sydney just flew over for a few weeks to catch the nice snow at the end of the season. Took their daughter out of school and such.

Also, when it is cold, the dry powder blows around at night and voila, another fresh powder day in the back areas and the West Bowl. Different wind exposure. The WB was kept open every day this season.......except for the last week :(

I stayed back there 50% of the time and had a different experience than the groomer crowd.
    The T-bar accesses more than most think. Very few go there. Ralph, Northsail and others know this:) I have great footage of those days but they start to look the same. Seen one, seen them all.

:thumbs: northsail likes this.
    gareth_oau

we've tended towards January, because the accommodation is a lot cheaper than in February, but may have to reconsider that. Not so much of an issue if I can find someone to share the accommodation costs

Hudson

Hudson Well-Known Member

Is anyone at SPs right now? Any Photos?

The next 5 days will see seasonal temps of 5-8 C highs. Rain in the forecast. The beginning of the shoulder season. Good time to be elsewhere as the melt begins.

Enjoyed 17 C on the Oregon beach today. Walked 10 km along the sandy beach in sunshine. The Oregon Coast is delightful as those of you who have been there know.

Big contrast to what we left behind.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    :thumbs: Ralph_Plough likes this.
    Hudson

Hudson Well-Known Member

End of season wrap up.

Thanks to everyone who chose Sun Peaks as a ski destination in our Winter season, Northern Hemisphere: Kiwis, Aussies, Brits, Euros, Whistler Refugees, all other N Americans and the rest of the world. Without you, we would not have a village or resort to enjoy the rest of the year.

Unless the shit hits the fan, the next five years will see major changes in lift capacity and development.
    Nothing can be done about the weather but let's hope we remain the friendly place you all love to ski.
    Until next year,
    Cheers!
    Hudson

Sbooker

Sbooker Active Member

My crew is committed to a USA ski roadtrip this coming winter but we plan on a BC skiing roadtrip in January 2019. We will make sure Sun Peaks is on our itinerary. Looks to be a nice contrast to the more 'rustic' hills like Kimberley and Red etc.

sly_karma

I was at Whistler over easter weekend and it was very busy. The annual Whistler Ski and Snowboard Festival was on, plus the 25th annual Whistler Cup race series with 440 athletes, 200 coaches, 300 volunteers and a bazillion parents and hangers on. The village plaza between the two gondolas had a big outdoor stage with live bands, pub patios and the plaza itself were jam packed. And with so much snow in the first half of April there would have been plenty of people just up there to ride independent from any organised events.

But, it should be noted that Whistler these days gets more summer visits than winter. Golf, bike park, summer training camps, conferences, triathlons, food/wine/music festivals, you name it. Most Canadians hate winter and they really do shut down and pull their horns in. So many businesses and attractions only open for summer trade. People travel much more once the weather warms up and the roads are perceived to be better. It rains much less in summer, and Whistler is a pretty idyllic village for walking and hanging out on a patio with a beer or a coffee. Tons of people come to ride the Peak to Peak - and that goes for winter as well. We saw lots of people in street clothes and shoes riding the gondy up, they obviously had no intention of skiing or boarding, they were either going for lunch up top or riding the peak to peak. Locals say this is a common sight all winter. (I'm sure the proponents of the new Valemount resort are banking on a crap ton of non-skier riders on their lift as well. The Sea to Sky gondy at Squamish definitely does, they don't even have skiing to offer).

oldgeezer

oldgeezer Active Member

I once spotted a reference to how Aussies distinguish themselves in Sun Peaks: They throw loonies and doonies around like man-hole covers it said.