Summer Surf Thread

Discussion in 'Weather' started by Angus_McCrory, Dec 4, 2012.

Angus_McCrory

Angus_McCrory Part of the Furniture

Wonders if thsi should be in Sports participation.... anyhoo.

First splash at Bondgae yesteday aftr a two month layoff. Water nice and warm (for Sydney and for this time of year) and 19c. Lumpy and small ENE wind swell.

This morning would have been perfect ... if there had been some swell... warm sunny day, westerly winds and less than 1' of wind swell... welcome to summer.
    parkmonkey

parkmonkey Old And Crusty Season Pass Holder

Nar there is supposed to be weather/swell forecasts and reports in here [​IMG]

Hoping for my first summer surf in the next couple days.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
    parkmonkey

First summer surf yesterday arvo bumpy light onshore waves, boost a pretty big air with grab but didn't land it, think i was surprised that i launched above the lip and still had my board with me. Gotta land one and then maybe another bunch of them.
    Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Dedicated Member

Yeah after much alarm clock setting, setting to snooze, facing about etc I finally restarted my pre work surfs yesterday together with a million of my closest mates. Slight exaggeration there. 3-4 foot SE swell which had Bondi as mushy straighthanders. I caught maybe 6 waves and came back in.

Still, its nice to be getting back in the habit and the extra 5 kg's of weight I'm carrying should drop off quickly now.
    surfie_guy1

surfie_guy1 Dedicated Member

Good waves in Perth over the weekend. A shame about the crowds though.

I had a great surf 2 weeks ago. Midweek, 2 people out at my local reef. Was lovely!
    malibu

malibu Active Member

Gold Coast 2.5 weeks of northerly dribble - some respite coming later this week
    climberman

climberman Part of the Furniture Season Pass Holder

Sunday morning great. Sunday night great. Yesterday woeful. Today great.
    Donza

Donza Pool Room Season Pass Holder

Yesterday was fun as Cm...
    Wootown had some drainers.
    climberman

I surfed a dawnie and easty was dribbletown and ended up at Bellambi to scab some offshore-ish wind. Wootown is along way for me !
    parkmonkey

Barrels this morning, some swell on the way too [​IMG]
    Annabuzzy

Boohoo to me. No barrels my way. Bondi a sooky 1-2 foot. I actually had a fun surf until I bashed/cut my ankle on the rail of my board while bombing a late takeoff.
    Angus_McCrory

You were out as well this morning Buzzy? Only blessing was it wasn't crowded.
    Annabuzzy

It felt crowded to me! Mind you I continued to get waves even as the crowd increased but I was out of the water by 6.40am. Ouch. I actually got a few fun ones - where I was sitting the small to medium ones tended to hit the bank better.
    scalymanfish

scalymanfish Dedicated Member

Haven't bought a pair of boardies for about 10 years until the other week. Then Parko goes out and wins a WT wearing my boardies. Stoked!
    Angus_McCrory

Pretty sure I was still asleep. Missed the early crew and headed down around 8:00 am and was out before the tourists arrived.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
    FourSquare04

FourSquare04 Dedicated Member

Finally back in the water after a 2 month layoff that seemed to go forever.....

Had 3 surfs so far - all 3 have been fairly ordinary and really fitness surfs more than anything to get the arms working again, but at least there have been some waves around! Normally this time of year is notoriously fickle on the east coast especially around Sydney.....

I guess 3rd time lucky - Sunday just gone was super fun where I was surfing on my local stretch. Hopefully the water warms up another couple of degrees and it will be boardies only [​IMG]
    Annabuzzy

1-2 foot (the 2 foot call might be optimistic) today at Bondi. I still managed to score a few good waves before the crowds arrived in force.
    climberman

1-2' this morning, 2'+ last night....

On track to hit my 'surf numbers goal' for the year. Life's good.
    Donza

gees CM you on the wrong side of the reef?
    Up my way had a few more than that..
    climberman

Dunno, maybe, it does seem to have some N in it. Might have been the odd 3'+ last night. You off for the year now ?
    FourSquare04

FourSquare04 Dedicated Member

This has been a fun run of waves over the last week - hovering between 2 and 4 feet generally from the E here in Sydney. I've surfed every day in the last week except for Christmas day.

Looks like another cyclone brewing for the early new year....anywhere from Noosa south to about Forster should be cranking from early next week for at least a few days but looking quite possibly longer than that going by the charts, not bad for summer on the east coast, about f'ing time we had a decent summer of cyclone swell......!
    climberman

So it's kept small but surprisingly clean for a week or ten days. Have managed a few. Hit 100 surfs for 2012, which was a kind of aim, and which I'm aiming to better this year. Am off for an early now..
    climberman

FFFFAAAAAARRRRRRKKKKK.

When will we see some swell on the east coast?
    Annabuzzy

Turned up for the early to find Lake Pacific. Turned around and went jogging. Ouch, I hate jogging.
    TomeganawMulder

TomeganawMulder New Member

it is quite a lovely whether out there in Sydney. Ideal for surfing as well.
    Angus_McCrory

The bike has been getting quite a work out lately. Off to Hawaii next week followed by Colorado; maybe I'll find some surf there.
    Belly

Belly Dedicated Member

East coast in for a dynamic period
    gareth_oau

gareth_oau Old And Crusty Season Pass Holder

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
    Scrap

Scrap Active Member

'Bout time hey Belly, interesting times ahead.
    Toto Warmlet

Toto Warmlet Dedicated Member

Searching for MP

Looking around to see where I could buy this DVD;can't it's out of"print'.
    Then find it for free on the ABC.
    climberman

3-4' and sorta mushie this morning.
    dawooduck

dawooduck Old And Crusty

This mess of a swell combined by hopefully full lagoons breaking out will wash away all the benign summer sand bank squareness.
    Angus_McCrory

Nice a clean on the norh shore here today with head high plus on the sets (3-5' on Hawaiian scale) at Sunset and Kammie. Didn't get a close look at Pipeline but looked okay (not super hollow). Tomorow will be head to Waimea and watch as a new 20' plus swell is due to hit over night.
    Angus_McCrory

And will remember to take long lens for camera.
    dawooduck

dawooduck Old And Crusty

Booming peaks in the middle of the bay and point was firing this morning. Glass with no wind at all.
    blutek

blutek Dedicated Member

<span style="font-size: 8pt">deleted</span>
    parkmonkey

Barrels [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
    climberman

Sheesh, second one is a drainer.

4' at the local this morning, nice to get a pre-work one in.
    climberman

.......... and shattered, 2 surfs in today, some mooching about the house, a few hours in the office at work. Managed an early and a kinda late.... 4-5' and drainers with a bit o' ugly thrown in.
    parkmonkey

Yeah scored some fun ones this morning, a little windy this arvo but went out for another lap.

This was Angus during the larger part of the swell up here, Yamba has been cut off for the last week.
    [​IMG]
    climberman

Whoah, sick pm.

Just been for another wave. Most everywhere pretty messy, managed to find somewhere not too washed out, but mainly closing out with the low tide. Funny how there's 4'+, and then there's 4'+. Was 4'+ and 6' thick today. Shallow sand, shhhllllcccchhllllleeeeppppppp. The 50m paddle was about a kay today [​IMG] Watched one guy paddle about five times while I got changed after coming in. Took him 20 mins to get out.
    blutek

blutek Dedicated Member

Briefly saw a left point breaking, north of Otaru this morning (from a bus on the tollway). Was about -7C before we left at Kiroro. Later there was a 20cm tsunami that got a bit of TV coverage.
    William

William Dedicated Member Season Pass Holder

Yesterday, had a nice day on the Mid Coast of all places. Would have only been 2' with a very long wait for odd larger swells, awesome weather with a marginally off-shore breeze and best of all didn't have to share [​IMG]

No swell left for the Mid today, its flat flat flat.
    Annabuzzy

I've been surfing like crap lately. I don't want to talk about it..,
    Donza

There was waves down my way saturday morning 3 1/2 footers of sweepy NE swell..
    funky banks but, been stripped out and pushed wide..

waters nice
    parkmonkey

Epic lid vid, barrel time
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/59101379" width="630" height="380" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>
    Donza

pharrrk I love that wave, and that barrel
    scalymanfish

scalymanfish Dedicated Member

So much easier on ya guts. Stand up like a man.
    parkmonkey

Donza

never been laid man?