Summer Surf Thread 2016

Discussion in 'Weather' started by nfip, Dec 1, 2016.

SAsurfa

SAsurfa Dedicated Member

Nah was too busy unfortunately. Yeah fun MP tomorrow and Wednesday, a bit slow Friday morning.

The Mid looks like its pumping today! Would be all over it if not for work.

Ted Harper

Ted Harper Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

Surfed Friday and Saturday mornings early at Palm Beach; both days were good practice for wonk and backwash but otherwise not super. On Saturday I had finished and was walking back along the beach from Barrenjoey and I saw some friends that had just paddled out near the carpark, so I went for a short bonus session with them to be sociable.

Didn't surf yesterday (Christmas) but had an early this morning - about 100m south of Barrenjoey - and it was really quite good: couple of feet, glassy, reasonable shape, fairly consistent, not too much backwash or weirdness.

:thumbs: FourSquare04 likes this.
    FourSquare04

FourSquare04 Dedicated Member

Nice one @Ted Harper - I surfed Friday on the home stretch which was good fun. Haven't surfed the last couple but been for a few body bashes, the water is superb :)

How are the holiday crowds up at the 'Joey?

:thumbs: Ted Harper likes this.
    Ted Harper

Early today - I only got in the water about 6:30 - and right through my session only 3 of my friends (on shortboards) and a SUP all the way up at Barrenjoey. I had the next peak down to myself, then on the next peak south about 10 guys who I don't think I recognised any of (mostly good standard, on shortboards) plus one of my teenagers on his lid. Random handfuls then spread out down the beach by the time I finished and maybe 20 generally around south Palm Beach when I got down there for coffee. I would say that the northernmost 3 or 4 peaks were offering the most around the high tide but there was enough goodness happening down the beach that anyone who wanted a more-or-less ok peak to themselves could have still had it around 8-9am which is a win for this time of year!

Lots of people were turning up to splash around at the south end - assorted boards, inflatable flamingos, you know the sort of things - when I left about 9am.

FourSquare04

Have there been any 'sharky' moments or sightings up at Palmy @Ted Harper ?

Just seen on this morning's news they were talking about a lot of sightings down in VIC which I thought was interesting....

Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

Easterly..............blue bottle heaven up here on the open beaches - Sunshine Coast.

Ted Harper

I haven't seen any myself for a while but there have been a few around. Yesterday morning on a couple of occasions during my session I could smell that distinct mushed-up fish smell and there were some fair-sized fish around, so I had my eyes on stalks a bit. I am always wary up near Barrenjoey, especially when I am on a bank by myself and not many others around because you are kind of a long way from anywhere and there really isn't anyone but yourself spotting for sharks.

This morning was rather cloudier and I was surfing further out (on more-or-less the same bank) because it was about a foot bigger but I didn't see any fish at all.

Surf was ok though this morning early and just large/wonky/difficult enough to sort people out and keep the crowds down. I surfed with my friend's 16yo son; according to my handy-dandy Trace GPS I got 15 waves and paddled 2.4km in a bit over an hour and he would have been about the same. Pretty hard paddling overall and fairly large 4-5 wave sets (getting up towards 4' and with good energy in them) every few minutes so plenty of duck diving and getting washed around. We had a bank to ourselves most of the session so we were both pretty tired by about 8am.

When he and I headed down for coffee, the south end of the beach was going OFF with holiday crowds; lots of people floundering around in 2-3' waves on bodyboards and weird aquatic inflatable stuff and too many inexperienced people clustered together on new surfboards to make it at all tempting. Plus the road and car parks down there were madness. Coffee shop busy factor was off the scale too!

SAsurfa

SAsurfa Dedicated Member

An unexpected southerly wind in Manly mid-morning saw the surf turn on. A bit busy but got heaps, super fun 3ft+ on the sets.

POW_hungry

POW_hungry Addicted Member Season Pass Gold

Bondi Rescue cleared the water on 3 separate occasions last Thursday/Friday. I have no idea what was sighted but I was warned when I entered the water... Needless to say, business as usual within an hour or so in the water.
    Wish I was Northside though, nothing much happening this side of the bridge, at least not for the last 3-4 days.

:thumbs: SAsurfa likes this.
    Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

That's what they all say, but don't / can't admit it. LOL

:thumbs: POW_hungry likes this.
    POW_hungry

POW_hungry Addicted Member Season Pass Gold

Haha, gimme Eastern Subs and Sou-Coast anytime it's a S/SE swell running which is obviously predominate and prevailing down here in Sydney. The only thing going for Northside is it's girls and NE swells - all of which are a little few and far between.:axe:

FourSquare04

Mate you're hanging around in Manly during the busiest time of the year?!! I would have thought you'd be fleeing to some much quieter parts in search of empty waves!

FourSquare04

The 'bra is your friend in these conditions ;)

:thumbs: POW_hungry likes this.
    FourSquare04

About to go for an arvo session in the NE wind swell here's hoping for a few mushy peaks to play in

:thumbs: POW_hungry and Ted Harper like this.
    SAsurfa

SAsurfa Dedicated Member

Only if I wasn't working. Get heaps of waves anyway ;) haha.

SAsurfa

SAsurfa Dedicated Member

Carton St was fun but tide has gone a little low now.

nfip

nfip Addicted Member Season Pass Gold

Hectic day today for this boy.
    I expected it.
    Swell wasn't so big prolly call it in at 4 foot or so but with 200 or so Punters in the water and cuppla thou on the Beach was never a dull moment for the 2 of us.
    Tucked into the Southern Corner of a compression type whirlpool set up....
    Can honestly say there's 2 people at home tonight who are very far king lucky we got em cause they where gorn.....
    One eternally gratefull , the other (16 y.o. or so ) couldn't give a shit and bolted off with out a word.
    Mum was in meltdown as he was swimming there one moment gone the next.
    I had him.
    Phuck.
    Add on couple of peeps slipping on the rocks opening some serious head gashes.
    Blood. Lots...
    It's a circus.
    Instant replay tomoz it's going to be hotter.....

Ted Harper

I didn't get a surf in today - big family lunch at my house meant I was on preparation duty - and most unlikely tomorrow either as I have to take some relatives to the airport to check in at 3am(!) and being up and driving between (say) 1:30-4am doesn't agree with me all that much, so an early surf is out of the question, then the predicted hot day means I won't be going anywhere near the beach when all of Sydney decides they need to be there later. Think of the bonus surf points I am banking though to cash in during autumn ;)

SAsurfa

SAsurfa Dedicated Member

Swell and wind howling in Sydney atm, Manly is 4ft+, should be pumping mid-late morning tomorrow with clean 3-4ft surf.

Ted Harper

Update from my beachside operatives from this morning: Palm Beach was "5' and good". Friend's teenage son I have been surfing with a fair bit lately had a good early session but was the only shortboarder out on the bank he was on, with several mals being over-enthusiastic.

:thumbs: FourSquare04 and SAsurfa like this.
    FourSquare04

Had a pretty average surf on the home stretch yesterday arvo, got a couple in the first 45 mins then it just went completely dead at the bottom of the tide.

This morning looked a lot better with the wind backing right off and that glassy, oily surface and a bit bigger as well as more organised but couldn't get out there. Time for a body bash to cool off....

SAsurfa

SAsurfa Dedicated Member

A little under expectations this morning (3-4ft), but still a fun 3ft with the odd 4ft bomb, best as the tide dropped a little.

Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

As I'm sure most of you would know, on Xmas night the Catanduanes in the Philippines took the full brunt of Super Typhoon Nina.
    Swell 14 metres, storm surge 2 to 3 metres, winds speed 185kph with 255kph gusts.
    Place has been destroyed.
    In the early 80's I went though this area twice in search of waves, and found some real goodens.
    Here is some info for anyone who is feeling generous and would like to help these poor people at "Majestics".
    If you scroll down on this first link to December 26 (morning after) you can see the results.
    https://www.facebook.com/surfodysseyph/?hc_ref=SEARCH
    https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/oneforpuraran?source=feed_text&story_id=1225008414212931

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    FourSquare04

Had a fun session this morning on the high around Mid Narra with still the odd close to 3ft set coming through, but mostly 2 to 2+

Tell you what though, my home stretch looked fun on dark last night right on the dead high tide with some lovely little 2ft+ peelers coming through and only 3 guys enjoying it. I'd wished I had my board but settled for a very needed cooling swim.

Ted Harper

I also had a surf this morning. South Palm Beach (right in front of the coffee shop) looked a bit better than the north end so we paddled out there maybe 6:30am, soon to be joined by a _lot_ of people - by Palm Beach standards anyway. I got 27 waves in about 90 minutes then decided I had enough close calls from people falling off or ditching their boards outside of me on the occasional wash through sets and went home.

Good fun though; my kids had a body bash yesterday and had warned me the water had cooled down suddenly by several degrees and they were right. Still really nice in boardies and 1mm top though. I'll probably give the same bank a go for an early tomorrow morning.

Ted Harper

Surfed this morning at Sourh Palm Beach. Not as good as yesterday - red weed, strong cross current and the swell was somewhat mixed up. Caught a few ok ones and got worked fairly heavily a couple of times, such that my GPS tracker mount got ripped right off my board for the first time in the year I have had one. It floats so I was able to find it and stick it in my board shorts pocket for the rest of the session. I have re-mounted it now on a spare mount anyway.

Rather than a lineup photo, here is one that is more memorable for me of the whole of 2016 - a fair percentage of the crew I surf with at least most weekend mornings (taken this morning as we were getting ready about 6:30). Happy new year everyone - hope you all get barrelled in 2017 and that age or illness doesn't slow you up!

:thumbs: SAsurfa, Fozzie Bear and FourSquare04 like this.
    Drewboy

Drewboy Well-Known Member Season Pass Gold

Southerly hit at 345am,hoping the swell builds for a pm surf.Been pretty sad in these parts with the NE swells lately

:thumbs: Ted Harper and FourSquare04 like this.
    FourSquare04

Never been so glad for a southerly change to hit, that humidity yesterday was off the scale, must have been close to 100% - Felt like I was back in Cairns / Port Douglas!

:thumbs: SAsurfa, Ted Harper and nfip like this.
    Belly

Belly Addicted Member

I've been quiet :) Port Stephens sucked on the surf front, but have had some fun sessions on the South, local swell magnet has kept on giving, found my own 'secret' bank on the right tide combo with barely a soul out!! Love the south at this time of year!!
    As posted above southerly is blowing but some nice lines are showing, been helping the outlaws move but hopefully there will be some protected corner low tide runners on the late this arvo ;)

Ted Harper

I had an ok session yesterday early at south Palm Beach. Got 29 waves in about an hour and a half then got out when the beginner mals and people on random floating things got too much. Friend's son stayed out and copped two pretty bad chops in his good board :(

This morning was tiny but surfable (it is ALWAYS surfable!). One of my L-plater twins drove me down and back and we had a fun session with the usual crew at south Palm Beach. I got 21 little waves, got hit by a surf ski (no damage done due to the extreme lack of wave energy), watched my friend with the stuffed shoulder try to ride one of my other friends' mal (which is sized for his 100kg weight, so you can imagine how it didn't want to turn for a 50kg lady), smashed some breakfast afterwards then home to hope this southerly picks up the swell for tomorrow.

SAsurfa

SAsurfa Dedicated Member

And it's finished. The excellent run of fun NE swell from Tuesday through Saturday was so good at a selected bank on the right tide at Manly. And uncrowded as well, especially in the afternoons. Stoked, but keen for more now!

:thumbs: FourSquare04, Belly and Ted Harper like this.
    nfip

Yer uncrowded in the city cause they all seem to be here ;)
    Crappy 2 or 3 feet grovel in the Sthly this am.
    Birthay girl needed a fix so I just had to play too.
    Was good to get wet tho.
    Shes showing the benefit of her efforts of late really starting to loosen up and getting some rythym and flow to her board riding.
    Proud Dad , always. :)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    :thumbs: FourSquare04, Belly, Drewboy and 3 others like this.
    Ted Harper

Great stuff! BTW this morning there was a maybe 11-12yo girl out on a foamie near me and my friends just working away at popping up and riding the tiny waves through to the beach, paddle back out, rinse and repeat... I had smiled and hooted her a couple of times and after a while paddled over for a quick chat/encouragement and two things impressed me hugely (1) she said she was determined to get good at surfing this summer and (2) she had a huge bruised bump on her forehead and when I said i hoped she didn't do it surfing she said she got whacked by a fin when falling off earlier (and she was still plugging away at improving her surfing despite this).

Really stoked to see this and I hope her parents are very proud of her. I reckon she has the right attitude to be ripping really soon!

:thumbs: FourSquare04, Drewboy and nfip like this.
    Belly

Belly Addicted Member

Unbelievable surf on the late yesterday, a sometimes point break with a really good sand situation and I was the first on it as the tide dropped. 3 cracker rides of 100m+ plus some in-betweener's. A frothing finish to a so-so surfing break but some great family time. The little one is already obsessed with Mum's new foamy so looking forward to sharing nfip's fatherly stoke in future years :)

:thumbs: FourSquare04, SAsurfa, nfip and 2 others like this.
    Ted Harper

Surf this morning early had a bit more consequence than the past few - bit lower tide and more oomph in the waves than the last couple of days at least.

Had a session with my friend's son and a few other regulars (and also Tony Abbott who quite impressively was pulling into a few on his mal that he had no realistic hope of coming out of, got worked hard a few times and paddled back out for more).

Friend's son has been in the wars this week - as well as getting his good board hit badly a couple of days ago, this morning he pulled out of a late takeoff and got sucked over the falls with his board and ended up with a nasty fin (or maybe tail) chop behind his ear which was a big enough hit to his head and bleeding enough to send him straight out of the water, and me too to make sure he was ok.

Drewboy

Drewboy Well-Known Member Season Pass Gold

I hope Tony wasn't doing his Noosa antics and dropping in on the girls.

:thumbs: FourSquare04 and nfip like this.
    nfip

Not here.
    Few Sherriff type uncles watching over our next gen
    She mentioned today she got a gob full from some micro groms who didn't like herout amongst them and standing her ground when they where puffing their micro chests.
    I watched from the sand.
    The verbal recollection from her was classic , deadpan and along the lines stop now boys you got nothing to say that fazes me a bit .
    ROFL

:thumbs: Fozzie Bear likes this.
    SAsurfa

SAsurfa Dedicated Member

Was this Queensy? I was out there :p

Ted Harper

No, Palm Beach - south end, just out from the Art Deco toilet block. Haven't seen him surfing at Palm for maybe a year.

I am hopeful of getting another early in tomorrow too. Trying to fire up my twins to come down with the incentives of (1) more L-plate driving time and (2) shouting them a nice cooked breakfast at the coffee shop after the session. You would have thought just the lure of going for a surf and spending some quality time in the water with their dad would be enough, but clearly not for this generation...

nfip

Kai Lenny.
    Looks like Mavs
    Far ken ell....

:thumbs: The Plowking likes this.
    parkmonkey

parkmonkey Old And Crusty Season Pass Gold

Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

Horizon isn't straight........ just sayin

and phixt by PM :thumbs:

Ted Harper

Surfed, same bank at South Palm Beach. Was a bit carp - onshore, 1-2', mixed-up wind swell - but I got 25 short and mostly meh waves in fairly quick succession. Got one of my twins motivated to drive me down and back and he and my friend's son decided bodyboards were the most appropriate weapon for the morning so they went nuts on them. Then breakfast, L plate drive home, done.

Ted Harper

Another surf this morning at South Palm Beach (with L plater son driving down and back), shortened by one of the guys who swims laps of the beach swimming in having seen a shark. We didn't see it but he said "I have been swimming here for 35 years and I know a shark when I see one" so that's good enough for me.

Similar conditions to yesterday morning but a light offshore and light rain steepened it a bit so more sections were makeable and a few little cover-ups. I got 21 waves of which 3 or 4 were really good. Nice breakfast afterwards, no scary L plater moments, all good :)

FourSquare04

Yep @SAsurfa our good, fun run of waves has come to an end and now it's back to these bloody 'orrible South Swells!

I've had a few more sessions on the local and also out at Mid-South Narra but I decided it was time to rest the wary arms and had 2 days out of the water for a break. Went out yesterday afternoon on club house bank and it was good to see a bit more size & power but gone were the fun, peaky offerings on the ENE swell and it was back to more straight S swell shut downs with the odd one off the rip bank. Saw the sign up for Bluey's but never really pay that much attention, that was until I was out the back and a monster bluey decided to cruise on past and catch me off guard!! The f%$^ing thing ended up wrapped around my board and my leggy but I managed to get rid of it and it just managed to give me a tickle on the leg. Needless to say I thought that was close enough and decided to head in. This morning's report sounds fun but now battling a nasty head cold / flu thing so not sure how many more sessions will be had in the next 3 days of holidays :(

@SAsurfa when can we expect some more fun waves from our favoured direction? :D

parkmonkey

Tiny up here and with the summer crowds have hardly even thought about, had a paddle christmas day

FourSquare04

Is Byron pretty mental at the moment @parkmonkey ?

Any further sightings of the men in grey suits? Seems to have gone quiet on the news front.....

Chowder11

Chowder11 Addicted Member Season Pass Gold

Apparently they have all moved to Vicco according to our news

parkmonkey

I've heard of few being around the place, not sure if they've cleared the water for a couple weeks

Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

Same, riding a bike and swimming are a better option for some fitness ................Japan next month.
    I watched about 40 sitting at Nationals this morning waiting for.......................something?

:thumbs: parkmonkey and FourSquare04 like this.