Summer Surf Thread 2016

Discussion in 'Weather' started by nfip, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

2. nfip

nfip Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Just got Sharksmart 4 notifications of tagged white shark detected , Hawks Nest receiver.
    We have one of these recently installed down here.
    I believe they have a range of 500m.
    Must trigger each time it comes back into range.

FourSquare04 and Belly like this.
  3. nfip

Season Pass Gold

Just the grapevine filtering thru this way.
    Throw in a fair dose of media froth.
    Be interesting to see in the next few weeks fwiw.

4. DPS Driver

DPS Driver Dedicated Member

They will generally slow down as we get further into summer.

The GW's aren't overly keen on warm water. They do tend to retreat further south this time of year. We shall see.

5. Belly

Belly Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

6. Chowder11

Chowder11 Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

7. Belly

Belly Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Wow @ Lorne Point, grew-up Portland (brother still there), grandparents had Moggs place for Melbourne escape, only thing I ever considered was stepping on a decent size ray due to a few close calls in my youth :)

PS: Following you Chowder ;)

Chowder11 likes this.
  8. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 Dedicated Member

Too cold down your way @nfip ;)

nfip likes this.
  9. nfip

Season Pass Gold

Absolutely.
    If you like it flat and onshore slop this is the place.
    Heaps of weed and blueys with plenty of zing in them too.

FourSquare04 likes this.
  10. Chowder11

Chowder11 Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Have had countless surfs along the Surfcoast, never entertained in my mind the thoughts of sharks in that area.

Its a tad more in the back of the mind when your surfing Phillip Island or Flinders/Westernport bay where you can see seal rocks and you know there are a few biteys hanging around that area.

Only ever had one kinda fright surfing down that way.
    Was out at flinders one day, surfing the old mans 9'1 as it was 2ft but super clean and fun. Then a bloke paddles and sits right in the middle of everyone and goes "I swear I just saw a huge fin about 50m away".
    Bloke paddled straight in, everyone else stayed out, a few of the old timers had a bit of a giggle at him, but that was pretty much it. Stayed out and it was definitely in the back of the mind as something definitely spooked this guy, but after a while it was all forgotten about.

Belly likes this.
  11. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

12. scalymanfish

scalymanfish Addicted Member

Yep, anywhere close to the knobbies would have to be considered reasonably sharky. Vic Hislop did some of his best/worst work out off seals rocks. Bagged a monster out there around the mid to late 80's. We used to dive out there as kids. Not so keen now! Big nasty sharks could be anywhere at any time but to get attacked by one you'd still have to be very unlucky. The media went into full meltdown about the GW down at Lorne yesterday, wonder how many have swum under that pier that have not been seen? Quite a few I'd reckon. Sheez, there was a big one hanging around Altona a few years ago. I remember old mate Vic years ago banging on about how many people have gone missing never to be found in PPB. He reckoned big Whites had eaten them. He could be right.

Chowder11, nfip and Belly like this.
  13. nfip

Season Pass Gold

Old mate Harold quite plausible !

14. FourSquare04

Anyone get out for a session over the past few days, even just to escape the heat?!!

After a few days of those strong NE'ers the water temp has definitely dropped back a notch, hopefully this southerly will bring it back up again.....

Definitely keen to get out there this weekend but at the moment it's looking fairly ordinary. Ah well, just to keen to get wet and go for a paddle at the moment!!

Ted Harper likes this.
  15. nfip

Season Pass Gold

Been all but phlat last couple of days in the heat and off shores....
    3 foot today.
    Clean at the Southern ends , mush up the other ends in the wind.
    Been lapping Culburra , Crookhaven , Sussex back to Molly & Naz setting up the Summer Patrols .
    I counted total 1 in the water all day.

16. Ted Harper

Ted Harper Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I have been up at Port Macquarie for a few days. Had 5 sessions between Town and Flynn's beaches, all of which were somewhere between meh and non-memorable. Water was a degree or two cooler than Sydney but ok. Town Beach needs more sand - not just to improve the surfing on offer but also there are a _lot_ more razor-sharp rocks uncovered everywhere there than is normally the case.

I checked the north end of Lighthouse Beach a couple of times (when out driving with my L-plater kids) and it looked to be delivering pretty well, especially a couple of mornings with offshore winds, but I didn't get a chance to get out there. Middle Rock (unsurprisingly) appeared to have a wave too when I went past.

I had a nice chat with Wayne who owns Port Macquarie Surf School after my session at Flynn's a couple of days ago. He said business has been a bit quieter than usual, due he thinks to some people not booking beach/surf holidays because of the general media attention for sharks. FWIW he hasn't seen _any_ in the water at Port for ages and he is literally in the water all day every day. Anecdotally (from me) there were a LOT of people around town for the Festival Of The Sun music event but after they all decamped on Sunday morning it seemed pretty quiet. Hopefully it will pick up well for everyone up there - waves and tourist numbers - when the school holidays get going.

I am intending to go for a surf at Palm Beach a bit later this morning with one of my friends who can't wait for the weekend (despite the rain and general yuck), but with fairly low expectations.

Belly likes this.
  17. nfip

Season Pass Gold

18. FourSquare04

Sad, soggy summer's day in ol' Sydney town today. Not much in the way of 'surf'

What's the report from down your way today @nfip

19. Belly

Belly Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Maybe not today, but next weeks cyclone / etra tropical low is shaping up nicely. I'm thinking peak swell should hit mid-north / hunter region around next Friday or Saturday - looking forward to tonights Swellnet notes for sure

Ted Harper and FourSquare04 like this.
  20. nfip

Season Pass Gold

Few lazy crumbly looking 3 footers , not much wind.
    Looks like a bit of fun in the rain.

FourSquare04 likes this.
  21. FourSquare04

Anything happening at GCR or just the Molly beachie?

22. nfip

Season Pass Gold

Just beachies , all the way along.
    edit : that's not entirely true was a small wave at Golfy just now.

#122 nfip, Dec 16, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  23. Ted Harper

Season Pass Gold

I got out for an hour at South Palm Beach just before noon. It was quite a bit better than I expected. My twins came down with me but didn't bother bringing their boards because they assumed it was rubbish and they are not as hard-core (or some other term you might prefer) as me. Ended up having about an hour - bit of backwash but otherwise reasonably smooth and surfable - then bought them lunch (which I suspect is what they actually wanted to come for!) then home.

On the basis of that I am now actually looking forward to tomorrow's early as an actual surf season rather than just the usual social paddle opportunity.

FourSquare04 and nfip like this.
  24. FourSquare04

How were the 'banks' looking at palmy? @Ted Harper

I have a feeling the early won't be brilliant given that low tide is around 5am ish...

25. Ted Harper

Season Pass Gold

When we hit the water (a bit after 6:15am) the winds were still a bit confused and generally onshore, also a fair bit of (mainly mushed-up0 seaweed down near the south end where we were. One of the normally-keenest guys went home without getting wet and a couple of the others went north and looks like they paddled out there. The low tide wasn't as much of a problem as the onshore and the seaweed. Bank I surfed yesterday near high tide was of course atomic-close-out city, but we had an ok spot.

Offshore wind sorted itself out while we were having apres-surf coffee and it looked pretty good with that and a bit more water on the banks. Bilgola and Newport Peak seemed improved too mid-morning. Wouldn't have minded a second session this afternoon - I think mid-afternoon might have been the pick time today if it wasn't too crowded - but I had a bit too much pre-Christmas running around to do.

Will give it another go tomorrow morning early anyway! I have loaned my friend with the stuffed rotator cuff (which is only healing really slowly and he physio won't let her paddle for still another couple of weeks) one of my kids' bodyboards so she can at last get wet with us, so that will be a bit of added amusement tomorrow morning too :)

26. FourSquare04

@Ted Harper your call about mid afternoon was bang on the money, but only after reading this! I already knew it was going to be on given the 1pm high tide combined with NW offshore :D

Man, talk about a fun session this afternoon. Best surf I've had in ages. Quality waves for a mid December's day, brought back memories of the unusually good days we had last summer.

Home stretch was loaded with fun 2 to occasional 3 foot offshore A-frames. Crowds were pretty ravenous as a result and you had to be lucky to score a good one, fortunately I was one of those lucky few :D

Ted Harper likes this.
  27. nfip

Season Pass Gold

Yeeuw.
    Happy chappy.
    Just punched out the annual Gold Medallion swim.
    Picked up a minute 20 over 800m in the last 3 weeks.
    Gotta do it every year for Lifeguards....
    Every year it gets tougher for this (not so ) old boy. ;)
    Head held high again for the summer .
    Soo good for the funk.

28. FourSquare04

Long range forecast looking good with that tropical depression / low sitting way out and directing some nice trade E/NE swell our way. Doesn't look like it will be huge around Sydney but going off MSW I'd be happy with some 3ft @ 10 second energy from that direction. Should make for some fun conditions around our parts :)

Belly likes this.
  29. Peli89

Peli89 Active Member

I surfed Yorkes yesterday. It was a fun 2-3' with only 3 others out and some light offshores. I'm not sure where the crowds were. They must have been elsewhere. But we had it like that for around 2.5 hours with everyone going wave for wave. Great atmosphere. Not the best conditions I've surfed but up there with one of the best situations I've been in. It's amazing how a friendly crowd can be.

I also squeezed in a surf after work during the week on the mid coast. Nothing flash. Maybe 1'. But it's good surfing in boardahorts.

30. PiedPiper

PiedPiper Active Member

Had a very junky surf yesterday arvo around pt leo.
    First time surfing a left in a while.
    junky waves, but afterwards is the best i've felt in weeks!

amazing what even a bad surf can do for you :)

31. scalymanfish

scalymanfish Addicted Member

Just had some very tasty little peelers down near Apollo Bay. Currently having 1 for the road at Airey's pub.

32. Ted Harper

Season Pass Gold

Surfed Sunday morning early at Kiddies' Corner. Tiny and gutless but nothing was even close to working up the beach and some fairly mega closeouts on offer too. Two friends who had surfed the north end on Saturday morning said it was excellent 3-4' so I think I missed any good conditions over the weekend completely.

Had a bonus surf (if you can call it that) this morning (Monday) at south Palm Beach. Direct onshore, messy wind swell, shallow sand and some mushed-up seaweed for good measure. Had an hour, got a dozen hopeless waves, saw the lights come on in the coffee shop then gave it away. NOTE: The coffee shop has made a batch of home made rocky road. Will be testing it tomorrow to see how it compares with Roberta's at Brunelli's in Perisher, so tomorrow will be a good surf day regardless of the surf ;)

FourSquare04 likes this.
  33. FourSquare04

Saturday was a good day @Ted Harper can't believe you missed it!! The 'Joey would have been good

34. Ted Harper

Season Pass Gold

Yeah, clearly (sigh). It didn't look great from bend-in-the-road so I just continued south which looked at least reasonable, certainly good enough to paddle out, so I stuck with it there.

FWIW this morning at south Palm Beach was awful around the low tide - checked the north end first but it had nowhere near enough water on the banks and still an hour to low tide when I looked. Had an hour, got 9 very short, very sandy, 2' closeouts. The home-made Rocky Road at 2108 Espresso was good, but I think the nuts and marshmallow should have been chopped up a bit smaller. Great quality chocolate in it though and it went well with my coffee so the morning wasn't a complete wipeout :)

Going for a super-early tomorrow (if I can get a leave pass) to try to catch mid-tide and hopefully ride into something other than 6" of water for a little while at least.

35. FourSquare04

Yeah morning low tides aren't the best, I feel your pain @Ted Harper

I prefer it when the High tides are around 6-9am for the optimal early sessions :)

Ted Harper likes this.
  36. Ted Harper

Season Pass Gold

Super-early was a successful mission. Surfed just down from Barrenjoey for 90 minutes with the 16yo son of my friend with the bung shoulder (and nobody else nearby). I got 26 fairly ok waves and he would have been about the same. On the global scale not a great surf but definitely the best the two of us have had for the last week or two at least.

SIDENOTE: For anyone idly folllowing this thread around Sydney, the water is just right at the moment - nice and clean, refreshing-to-warmish - to get down for a swim, bodybash, whatever you're into.

FourSquare04 likes this.
  37. FourSquare04

2nd last day of work today then just over 2 weeks off - there will be plenty of sessions & reports coming in @Ted Harper are you going away anywhere or will you be hanging around the 'Joey?

Ted Harper likes this.
  38. FourSquare04

@SAsurfa where will you be tripping to over the Christmas period this year?

Last year you scored at one of my favourite mid north coast NSW spots!

39. Ted Harper

Season Pass Gold

My "events co-ordinator" has just given me our somewhat punishing social schedule for the next week or so, but outside of those commitments when I am surfing it will almost certainly be somewhere along Palm Beach (and afterwards at 2108 Espresso at the south end).

The crew I usually surf with seem to have differing commitments and surf-availability over the next couple of weeks so it looks like I will have to try to fit in a surf nearly every day in order to get out with all of them over that time. Tough job, but someone has to do it ;)

FourSquare04 likes this.
  40. Ted Harper

Season Pass Gold

Total rubbish at Palm Beach this morning thanks to the all-night Easterly (plus bluebottles). Checked both ends. Decided it wasn't rideable. Did a walking lap of the beach with one of my friends then she and I had a short body bash in Kiddies' Corner to kill time until the coffee shop opened.

This is what it looked like an hour or so ago (and no better now after considering it over a coffee)

FourSquare04 likes this.
  41. FourSquare04

Nice one, I'll see if I can make it up there at least one day. In theory, consistent 2-3ft ENE swell over the next 4-5 days 'should' produce something along the stretch

Ted Harper likes this.
  42. FourSquare04

These extreme tidal ranges are killing it at the moment (especially around the low's which are bottoming out at next to nothing!)

Ted Harper likes this.
  43. FourSquare04

Pic 1 - is that 2 dots I see out there having a crack?

44. Ted Harper

Season Pass Gold

Yeah one on a shortboard, one on a lid. Appeared from watching them paddle out they are both beginners. We didn't see them even close to catching anything. Water was a bit sharky too up at Barrenjoey so they were welcome to it!

45. FourSquare04

Yeah you're not wrong, those overcast days always have a bit of a sharky feel

46. SAsurfa

SAsurfa Dedicated Member

Ah yes, that was a strike mission on the New Year weekend, was pumping!!!

Just scored fun as Seaford Bowl Wednesday, 2-3ft and consistent.

Might get a surf down Parsons or Waits Saturday and then back to Sydney for next week.

47. nfip

Season Pass Gold

48. Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

(from a couple of years ago now).
    Straylha...............Sunny coast style.

49. Peli89

Peli89 Active Member

Did you manage to score waits or parsons on Saturday Sasurfa? I surfed parsons for about an hour early Sat. Very small and weak.

I'm heading to the MP tomorrow. Looking like there could be some good waves while I'm back. Fingers crossed.

50. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Yep, looks like the beachies from Tues to Friday morning should have something.