Trip Report South Canterbury

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by soza, Apr 11, 2017.

1. soza

soza Well-Known Member

Having spent the last couple of months settling in to our new home and surroundings i thought it would be nice to show off some photos of what Canterbury has to offer. We havent ventured more than a couple of hours from Geraldine but found some amazing places. Winter is almost on us and im looking forward to trying a few new ski hills and posting some trip reports.

Lake Tekapo.
    Wow, the colour of that water. I will never forget that first glimpse as you drive over from Fairlie..... Breathtaking.

ScottGN, pedub, smackies and 3 others like this.
  2. soza

soza Well-Known Member

Mount Peel

Right on our doorstep. Some lovely walks and a monster full day slog up little peel. Still planning on making the trek over from little to big peel.... Just psyching myself up for it.
    Mt peel village has a great little cafe/bar that hosts a lot of the local muso talent. Also home to a DOCs camp site with a few on ste cabins, well worth a stop if your passing through.

tele-whippet likes this.
  3. soza

soza Well-Known Member

Mount Sunday, lake Heron and Clearwater.
    Straight out of lord of the rings. Surrounded by white capped peaks and hardly a soul in sight. Popular locals get away.

#3 soza, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    benchives, pedub, Dumph and 1 other person like this.
  4. soza

soza Well-Known Member

The coast.

To be honest it was a bit of a let down after moving from NSW. But what it lacks in white squeeky sand, bath water temps and rolling surf it makes up for in lack of people.
    As for the surf i have seen the few reefs and points work all be it fickle in nature but yet to see anyone out. The local seals and amount of kelp havent done much to intice me either. About 90mins south is Campbells bay and more like what we are used too in Aus... Next summer will be spending a bit of time down here in a beach bach.

5. soza

soza Well-Known Member

Mount Cook.

What can i say, amazing place a must visit

6. soza

soza Well-Known Member

Rangitata river.

Follow this river up into the heart of the alps for some amazing scenery. A raft ride down the river rapids is also on the to do list as is a bit if a tramp on the te araroa that cuts through here.

cin, ScottGN, craighelo and 2 others like this.
  7. Draizuh

Draizuh Dedicated Member

If you want good surf (unfortunately it comes with cold water) head to the catlins or colac bay near riverton in southland.

soza likes this.
  8. pedub

pedub Active Member

Nice photos mate!!!

soza likes this.
  9. ScottGN

ScottGN Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Or even good old St Clair in Dunedin, probably the best city surf beach in the country.

10. Dumph

Dumph Active Member

Lots and lots of good surf before getting to the Catlins/Southland.

11. soza

soza Well-Known Member

Kakanui looks to be the closest fun wave, just past oamaru. Saying that im working bang opposite patiti point and seen it break a few times but never seen anyone out. Having been landlocked the last 5 years im a little reluctant to give it a go. I was hoping for a mellow type sumner wave to play on. Will definitely take the board when we get down to Dunedin.​

12. Red_switch

Red_switch Part of the Furniture
    30 Day Pass

South coast west of Invercargill has warmer water temps than the east coast as far north as Christchurch.

13. soza

soza Well-Known Member

All the planets aligned this weekend and everyone came out of the wood work. Nice little wave in the bay and the points were firing

14. soza

soza Well-Known Member

Lake ophua and fox peak.

15. soza

soza Well-Known Member

Lake pukaki.

16. soza

soza Well-Known Member

More pics from the local area...

Attached Files:

Froff Life likes this.
  17. sbm

sbm Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Do it. Whitewater kayaking is the closest feeling to bottomless powder skiing I've experienced. Rafting is a bit more disconnected but still a blast.

Screw the surfing, get a second-hand creeking kayak (Waka Kai'tuna or Blisstic Mystic, both Kiwi designed!) and a latex gasket drytop or drysuit, find the local river kayaking club, don't look back.

I've drifted out of whitewater paddling here in Aus (being the land of droughts and flooding rains, there's either no river paddling, or sketchy flooded river paddling twice a year) but NZ is a world class destination for it.

soza likes this.