Sold

Discussion in 'Hotham' started by the_guru, Dec 20, 2011.

vet

vet Dedicated Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
    Azz

Azz Dedicated Member

The title is "Head of Ski Fields at Merlin Entertainments Group"

I'm sure if you google you'll find out who holds the position.
    Ben Lomond Brad

Ben Lomond Brad Addicted Member Moderator

Tried Azz, but no luck [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
    Azz

Azz Dedicated Member

Try Harder ? [​IMG]

Ummm, maybe two other key words, linked in. [​IMG]
    Smartie pants

Smartie pants New Member

Helen Moran ain't it ?? Makes for one very impressive innings - Schumanns, BCR, MFS, L&L and now Merlin !
    currawong

currawong Part of the Furniture Season Pass Holder

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
    Azz

Azz Dedicated Member

Yeah, but you never believe what you read on the internet, right?!!!
    RedKlister

RedKlister New Member

Gday mob.
    So "Smarty Pants", I dont know that "impressive" is the right term for the innings. I am sure we can all think of some highly creative terms to suit this appointment. Your right though, she has outlived the best/worst of them all. I just dont get it, can someone please enlighten me as to how this has transpired. I am a complex cat and this outcome bludgens my intellect!! As I posted eariler, has Merlin had the first of the wool pulled. People carry on about how CEO's of companies dont need to be involved in the actuall nature of the business. Bollocks in this case I say. If you dont ski/board, you have no place in the overseeing of two multi million dollar ski resorts. I mean, how can you have an objective viewpoint as to what happens, how good/bad the product is, what needs to be done for growth in positive direction to be realized, etc etc etc etc etc.

Come on Merlin, are you for real!! Make comment. This makes no sense at all. I think that there were hundreds of skiers, prehaps thousands, that saw this purchase as being a positive thing. I was one, and now am questioning the whole thing. We shall see as the season unfolds I guess.
    Smartie pants

Smartie pants New Member

One just wonders whether she has ever really lost the attitudes & views picked up during the Schumann years. New lifts ? Only after visitation rises not before. Tough line on costs; focus & protect areas that bring in the most cash.

But after these years of MFS & L&L - why is anyone expecting anything to change ? This is no longer a growth industry. Merlin want experienced set of hands.
    hair-raiser

hair-raiser Active Member

This mob, Merlin, are buying up like crazy, re-structuring, making comments about listing here and their financial connections are all investment conglomerates of the sort that bought Myer and ran off not paying GST. They will probably "do-a-Napoleon" (too stretched out in many ways).
    Snorkler

Snorkler Part of the Furniture

Maybe they want experienced hands because they don't really want to deal with it and can defer to someone else while they focus on their primary objectives?
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
    Smartie pants

Smartie pants New Member

hair-raiser

hair-raiser Active Member

Let me help you there, Smartie pants: The private equity group sold Myer and ran out of the country without paying some goods and services tax that was due. This tax is commonly abreviated to GST. (They also snaffled some Capital Gains Tax and maybe some GFC too, who knows).
    slalom pete

slalom pete Active Member

Story about the Alpine shire council wanting to maybe take over the running of M Hotham

Council would consider Hotham

Mayor would give approval if positive outcome for everyone

By SIMON CRASE

ALPINE Shire Council would not be averse to taking control of the running of Mount Hotham if it was in the best interest of the shire, according to the mayor.

Alpine Shire Council mayor Peter Roper said if a positive outcome occurred for all, council would look at it if a proposal was ever put forward.

His comments come in response to Hotham Ski Association president, Peter Sandow's, displeasure with the Mount Hotham Resort Management Board's decision to up service charges by 11 per cent.

"Council would consider taking on responsibility of Mt Hotham as long as it wasn't to the detriment of current ratepayers," Cr Roper said.

"It would have to be of benefit and not just cost neutral."

This comes at a time when New Zealand snowfields are a very attractive option for skiers, thanks to competitive packages for lift prices and accommodation.

Mr Sandow believed one way to allay service costs could be to have the Alpine Shire Council take over the running of Mt Hotham from the State Government.

"At least this way we could go to local councillors who understand the area and could listen to any concerns," Mr Sandow said.

Mr Roper said the resorts are a vital tourist attraction and needed to be maximised.

"Whether it's cross-country or downhill, skiing is invigorating and it is an amazing sport to take part in," Cr Roper said.

"While it will be as cheap to ski this year as it has been in a long time, it is still expensive."

Attracting more people to the Alpine resorts to experience the snow in any capacity and removing the gate price on the mountains should be looked at as an option to bring more visitors to the slopes.

Cr Roper said the overheads of keeping resorts running would be impacting heavily on the management board.

Mr Sandow would also like to see Victorian school children introduced to skiing as a way of starting to tackle the problem of decreased participation, and Cr Roper agreed.

"You've got to get young people up there, perhaps through schools having camps, so they can understand and appreciate the asset in the High Country," Mr Sandow said.

To see the full story, see printed edition of this paper (subscribe today)

special supplements and publications

Share on_
    Facebook

Tweet on
    Twitter

other news

Streets come alive

Needlework exhibition shows how life has changed in Bright

Water extraction explored

Public invited to a forum on the water storage issue

Council would consider Hotham

Hospital would be a hub for all vital health services

Best Gala Day parade ever

Role reversal

Bulldogs set to provide a good test for Myrtleford

Britt bags top award

Lions out to end Demon drought

todays weather

lightning tracker

regional news

This is a North East Newspapers website Copyright © 2012
    Azz

Azz Dedicated Member

Which paper is that story printed in?
    Azz

Azz Dedicated Member

Disregard, found it [​IMG]
    Seth

Seth Old And Crusty

Taxation with representation?

Can't imagine this being an unpopular idea. Worth looking at for sure.
    CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com Moderator Commercial Member

Wow that's cool, good on them for getting it out in the open.

Can't imagine it would be an easy process as the Alpine Resorts are governed by an Act of Parliament. So lobbying the Minister and your local MP is a good start.
    the_guru

the_guru Dedicated Member

Then the Shire would get more ratepayers money to plant flowers in Bright! How nice!
    FlatLander

FlatLander Active Member

Guru you always are such a positive sole!!!

All jokes aside, ask the friendly residents of Dinner Plain if they are happy with their rates, and the way Alpine Shire make use of the money!!!

Alpine Shire is the highest rated shire in the state (I think I read that somewhere recently), and Alpine Shire (Bright) was recently rated the 3rd worst place in Australia to invest in Real Estate (recent news article),

While this may sound nice, be carefull what you wish for folks!
    Hully

Hully Active Member

Cleary those pushing for this at Hotham haven't canvassed anybody outside of Bright on opinion of the Alpine Shire (or maybe they have Bright based businesses). It is often said that the Vic State Gov thinks that Victoria finishes at Coburg...well Alpine Shire Council believes that the Shire finishes at Porepunkah and Freeburgh. I certainly wouldn't want them to take over Falls Creek as unless something was beneficial to Bright businesses it would not happen.
    currawong

^^^ this

As an example, at least 1 councillor was sympathetic to the opposition to sealing the bogong high plains rd because it could take some tourist dollars away from Bright and into the Kiewa Valley.

BTW I'm not sure if Alpine Shire has the highest rates (they are bloody high). We own property in another rural shire that seems even worse.
    FlatLander

FlatLander Active Member

Too true Currawong on your first point. And you just have to look at the Dinner Pain committee of management (or whatever they want to be called) and how they think they run/own the town, and strut around accordingly. Mind you there is an agreement in place that all/most of DP rates stays in DP, whether this actually works in reality I am not sure. Why should they be treated differently to other rate payers in the shire - maybe because they are special!!!

The reason I raise this is that a similar solution could be implemented within the resorts, but again you will have a government bureaucracy in place - be it local or state.

Not sure on the highest rated stuff, I did hear that somewhere, although I do know we pay considerably more than friends in Toorak and Brighton.
    dossa5

dossa5 Active Member

Alpine Shire personel seem to forget they work for the people.
    Our rates are $1700.00 and dont live in town (Bright/Mt Beauty). All they do for us is empty our wheelie bins.
    Saw the other day 6 guys working on sucking up leaves to keep the town pretty, but they were planting lovely flowers.
    Snorkler

Snorkler Part of the Furniture

They also have to pay for the maintenance of local roads.
    dossa5

dossa5 Active Member

yes I know snorkler and it is a constant for them, bridges being repaired and the GAR to Hotham has been under works for drainage.
    Cant imagine what our rates would be if they took over RMB.
    Hully

Hully Active Member

We live in 'town', Tawonga South, and I can assure you that all they do for us is empty our wheelie bins. Though, they do seem to manage to undertake distruptive roadworks or the like in the Upper Kiewa Valley during periods of high tourism visitation...probably because the workers/contractors are not allowed to disrupt Bright during these periods.
    dossa5

dossa5 Active Member

It also seems to me that most of the major works happen on this side (Hotham) of the valley. Would that be fair to say Hully. Cant work that one out either as the Keiwa is very pretty in its own right.
    With visitation down in the hills you would think that somehow they would scrap the entry fees for those travelling up on weekends from the cities. We all need the tourist.
    currawong

I think the RMBs have to be self-funding, so not much scope to get rid of entry fees - unless they increase service fees for lodges & other businesses, which get passed on to visitors anyway (and in an even less equitable way).

Alpine Shire do provide other services and infrastructure, but as a rule they hate spending anything outside Bright if they can possibly avoid it.

They are a laughing stock in Mt Beauty at the moment. They have put out a proposal for relocating various services in the town. It is totally impractical and all the input they got from stakeholders told them so. And it relies on cooperation by state gov organisations which have said they do not and will not support it [​IMG]
    Hully

Hully Active Member

And I think that I saw somewhere (a press release from Bill Sykes?) that the cost of putting it together was $25K!!
    FlatLander

FlatLander Active Member

OK, from what I am hearing, Alpine Shire looking after the resorts....prolly not such a good option!

Hmmm, maybe the RMB's do a pretty OK job, in a difficult environment, as best they can for all!

just sayin.....
    FlatLander

FlatLander Active Member

Oh the Alpine Shire, arn't they awesome.

Also recently sacked the Water focus group, this group was looking at preferred location for the offstream storage, therefore guaranteeing Bright water supply in drought/bushfires. Anyway the working group was sacked/disbanded/not required anymore, as they chose a location other than the council's preferred location
    dossa5

dossa5 Active Member

Thats right Flatlander- the recommendation was down the valley further near Harrietville which would be gravity fed down to Bright, Initially more expensive but so much cheaper in the long run. Ratepayers from Harrietville, Smoko and Freeburgh would benefit this way.
    But the cheaper location chosen was on the Bright side of Freeburgh which requires a pumping station and the above towns missing out on the water supply. Go figure.
    Still an ongoing issue with petitions goung on.