Advice needed Snowboard boots

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by googoogaga, Mar 18, 2017.

googoogaga

googoogaga Just Registered

Hi,
    I am an middle aged beginner snowboarder and I wish to purchase boots because i care a lot about hygiene and the last boots i rented smelled really really badly.

I am willing to spend $100-200 on a decent pair, I have used freight forwarding before from the US and also China. Could anyone point me in the right direction as to brand and perhaps where to purchase? to be used in July.

Thanks!

:thumbs: grantn likes this.
    qwill

qwill Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

You might want to increase your budget. Unless you hate your feet.

:thumbs: googoogaga and grantn like this.
    grantn

grantn Active Member Season Pass Gold

I would highly recommend not buying new boots over the internet. Chances are they will not fit you that great. It is essential to try them on. Boots that dont fit properly can really hurt.
    If time is on your side, and you are in a city, keep looking on gumtree - that way you can go and try them on, if you are restricted to that budget. This has been succesful for me, but it will take a while. Or increase your budget and buy new, direct from a shop.

:thumbs: googoogaga and qwill like this.
    Mr. Mook

Mr. Mook Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

Speaking from personal experience of buying my first pair of boots cheaply fit is the most important factor.
    If the boots don't fit properly you can't control the board properly.
    This stops you from getting better as a rider and puts you & other sliders in danger.
    It wasn't until I got rid of them and bought a new good fitting pair for $240 that my abilities improved, my falls reduced and I really started having lots of fun.
    Start shopping around stores now and you can find last years stock at significantly reduced prices. This is what I did and got my $240 Salomons reduced from nearly $400.
    I started snowboarding when I was 35 but it was 5 years of rentals/cheap boots before I finally realised that new good fitting boots were the only way to go.

:thumbs: googoogaga likes this.
    gareth_oau

gareth_oau Old And Crusty Season Pass Gold

Where will you be using these boots for your next trip?

Be worth buying directly from a retailer there. I buy tonnes of gear online but boots you really need to spend at least 2 hours in the shop trying various options and then walking around for 30 minutes in the ones you think you like.

:thumbs: googoogaga and qwill like this.
    kylep

kylep Dedicated Member Season Pass Silver

Where are you located? If you want recommendations of where to buy, that's kinda important

LMB

LMB Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

I'm not convinced this thread isn't just a troll.

It has all the triggers!
    -Snowboarder.
    -Middle aged beginner.
    -Wanting to pay 1/4 to 1/3 what the usual price is.
    -Suggesting ordering from overseas using freight forwarders....

But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt just in case you are genuine (and if you are please don't take offence at the suspicion - we have a lot of sad little life trolls around this place).

As someone who was a middle aged beginner boarder, like you, I hired once. The fit was terrible, and yes they were stinky - and not my own stink! So I also bought boots ASAP! It is one of the best things you can do for your progression - get your own well fitted and comfortable boots. (I think your own board is a good thing too, but one thing at a time).

If you're on a tight budget, no worries, buy the cheapest pair you can find that tick all the boxes. Don't pass up the cheaper ones coz they are purple when you really just wanted black. But DO try them on as others have said. Ordering online works if you've already worked out what you want. For example when you are ordering a new set of your current well loved boots that have seen better days.

You want to find something with a good fit. With the right flexibility for you (I now switch between a pair of very stiff boots and another pair that are very flexy...the flexy boots are really playful and a lot of fun, if I was recommending a flex for a friend I'd push them toward flexy). Work out what lacing system you want - boas can be easy for beginners to get the boots tight enough, especially if you've got strength issues in your hands - they're a lot easier to do up with a broken arm than laces! (Trust me).

I know they're a lot of money but really it's just a couple of days lift pass - and getting the boots right is essential. Ask anyone who has had boot dramas! You'd pay ANYTHING to stop the pain.

gareth_oau

Seafm

Seafm Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

The first time I snowboarded I wasn't really sure what was considered a good fit for boots and picked a very snug fit. By the end of the first day my feet were killing me, one size too small. I quickly swapped to the next size the following morning and made a mental note of the size. These were from The Base at Jindabyne, good gear at great hire rates. As for boot preference I like boas, hated the lace ups Perisher hire gave me two years earlier.

googoogaga

wow thanks for the tonnes of responses.

Not a troll post, sorry I had a look on amazon and some of the prices were like that range for burtons on amazon ;

I thought i could get them on sales on amazon as the winter season is done there and someone might discount it?
    I am located in Sydney.
    So the plan for this year is thredbo in July and Niseko village in January 2018. My kids are 8 and 6 and are starting to get into and so am i :D

edit: seems like i can't post a link yet anyhow the burtons were around $175USD
    2nd edit: Would it be slack to retailers if i tried the boots at their shop and bought online?
    Well actually I have no idea if I would save that much money buying from overseas compared to domestically but as it is the first pair which I may change when I am more confident, I didn't want to spend too much.

Also buying a snowboard would be good except when travelling to overseas, do you just lug the thing around between hotels?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    LMB

I think that would be a great first boot - the boas will make life easy.
    BUT highly recommend trying them on first. Really really strongly recommend it.

LMB

Also consider the currency conversion - ~ $230 AUD
    And the Reshipper and postage costs which are often considerable.

If it becomes 'take a risk to save $50' it's just not worth it.

I recently bought online some Apr├Ęs shoes that can't be bought here, mine are great. Hubby's not so much. Can't return them (might be possible but prohibitively expensive) - I don't mind as I happily took the risk to get an item I really wanted. If you're doing it to save money it can be a real downer though.

LMB

Different strokes for different folks.

Some take their gear with them everywhere, some only take boots. If you were going directly to your accomodation for a few weeks then pretty much directly home, it's easy.
    If you are doing touristy stuff it can be a bit more logistically difficult.

As a timid middle aged woman I found having my own gear set up as I was comfortable with gave me more confidence. Having to ride a hire board gave me anxiety initially which translated to my technique on snow. It was a variable that had influence in the early stages that I could control by having my own gear. As my skills and confidence increased moving from board to board became fun rather than anxiety inducing.

gareth_oau

I buy my own gear, especially as I have dodgy feet.

When I initially rented ski boots it was very hit and miss and got crippled in the process

rental snowboard boots were more forgiving.

Rental stuff will never be as good quality, or as light as your own gear

sourmash

sourmash Well-Known Member

What size are you? I brought a pair while in Japan that were only used once (due to being seperated from my regular boots). They are size 10.5-11US and are accurate to size. PM me for more details if these might work for you.

googoogaga

Guys i bought a ThirtyTwo Binary Boa 2014/15 for $257 retails for $429 or so.
    I hadn't realised it was from 2014/15 as they didnt mention it. Should I be getting something newer?

googoogaga

Hi,

I'm EUR 43, think those are a tad big

LMB

Old stock clear out but I think the boots I'm currently riding are circa 2009. They got worn one week by my growing son, then sat in the discarded boots pile for a few years before I had a 'damn my boots are in Japan and I'm going to NZ' moment. On the off chance I stuck my feet in the half dozen or so cast offs and found my perfect boot! Total accident. Haven't worn my other boots since! After 3 years of wear they are almost done but it's about the wear more than the current year. A 14/15 will be fine!

googoogaga

The store did mention something about moulding the boots to my feet for free. $60 value? has anyone done any moulding to the memory foam?

LMB

Yep, they heat it, stick a toe box over your toes, stick your feet in the very warm boots, do them up tight and you walk around the shop for a while.
    It basically just speeds up the natural breaking in process.

gareth_oau

I've got the Flow Helios focus dual boas, and used the heat process when I purchased the boots