Skiing Snowy Mountains

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by GCoops, May 16, 2017.

1. GCoops

GCoops Just Registered

Hi I'm Greg. I have family in Melbourne. I'm bringing my family to Victoria in July. I was wondering what would be the best resort to get reasonable snow in early July for 2 weeks. i have 2 teenage kids and have mainly skied Japan.
    I don't mind traveling to NSW. I just want the best chance of good snow. We are intermediate skiers and snowboarders.
    Thanks.

2. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

Perisher, they will have snow.

GCoops likes this.
  3. Ricardo64

Ricardo64 Active Member

Victoria,
    Hotham would be the best bet for steeps, the teenages might like park at Falls, both of these two have the better snow conditions with access to backcountry.
    Buller is always overcrowded hence being closest to Melbourne.

If you'r going to break up the monotony try NZ they have some fantastic club fields with good skiing / boarding

GCoops likes this.
  4. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Perisher.

Once upon a time Thredbo had a reliability advantage through its snowmaking but PB has closed the gap and, being higher, is just more reliable.

SMSkier and Richard like this.
  5. Ramshead

Ramshead Dedicated Member

When it snows, all resorts have snow. When it doesn't snow much, Thredbo is IMO by far the best option because it has snowmaking on so much of its terrain. At least two 3km runs are fully covered by snowmaking, plus many shorter runs.

6. Ramshead

Interesting that Annabuzzy posted that seconds before me. I concede, the gap has closed between the big 2 in NSW snowmaking-wise, but I'd rather ski Supertrail/High Noon than Zali's or Roller Coaster. Longer runs. Fast quads not slow quads. Still a Thredbo win

Annabuzzy likes this.
  7. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Thredbo doesn't seem to get the same level of crowding post epic pass either.

fmdc9 likes this.
  8. bengarden

bengarden Active Member

But if you hit a warm patch of weather , nothing is worse than skiing ice tending to slush on the bottom half of Thredbo. Its not really snow skiing is it? The OP asked for the "best chance of good snow" not the longest runs which means the obvious choice would be Perisher for snow quality/reliability

9. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Is snow the only consideration?

What about village/apres, accommodation etc

Thredbo is mych better apres, even has a full size indoor heated swimming pool

10. Tanuki

Tanuki Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

In a bad to average season Hotham for sure, plus it's an incredible drive and the scenery and vista are unique. Buller is great when it's on.

11. tele-whippet

tele-whippet beard stroker
    Season Pass Gold

Perisher for sure.
    There's nothing to see, do, buy, eat or ski/board at Thredbo, it's rubbish, stay well away ---- we'll suffer for you :)

12. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Why not stay in Jindy and pick whichever resort is offering better conditions at the time? You only save small amounts by buying multiday passes.

SMSkier and skifree like this.
  13. DPS Driver

DPS Driver Dedicated Member

Oh my friend you've opened up a can of worms here. As you will see, everyone has their favourite resort and no matter what the facts are or what the conditions are like, they'll stick to their resort like the proverbial .... to a blanket.

The fact is early July is a gamble at any Aust or NZ resort.

I ski most Aust resorts every year due to my job. The best resort in Aust for terrain and length of ride combined with snowmaking is Thredbo. I am trying not to be biased even though Thredbo is my home resort but it just is.

Now that being said they all have there good and bad points and each are unique in their own way. I enjoy skiing every one of them as they all offer a different experience. You can't go wrong whichever way you go.

Telemark Phat likes this.
  14. GCoops

GCoops Just Registered

Thanks everyone.
    So I'm hearing Perisher and Hotham for best snow in early July and avoid Thredbo. I will be staying in a town near the resort that I choose. But with the kids in ski school, I do just want to go to the one resort.
    I will be driving a borrowed 4WD. So out of Hotham and Perisher. Which is the easier to access from a nearby town ?

15. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member

Perisher has skitube, which can be added onto your pass. No need for 4wd (unless it's really icy or dumping) and no national park entry fees. But it's a fairly easy drive up to Perisher with 4WD, you'll just need a national parks pass.

16. blowfin

blowfin Well-Known Member

Jindabyne gives you access to both Perisher and Threadbo, try both.

17. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

I wouldn't say "avoid" Thredbo. It has reliable snow because of its extensive snowmaking. It's where I ski. But I just think PB has closed the gap on snowmaking reliability and, given it also has more reliable natural snowfall because of its elevation, it's probably the surest bet. Far surer than Horham incidentally (which I love, but not as a pick for an early season snow sure destination).

Indeed for best snow reliability Mt Hutt in NZ is generally your best bet.

GCoops likes this.
  18. absentskier

absentskier Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Falls Creek is probably the most reliable resort with Perisher.

GCoops likes this.
  19. kimberlee81

kimberlee81 Dedicated Member

^^And they all fell over, laughing.

20. GCoops

GCoops Just Registered

Thanks for saying that. I just thought I read to avoid it. So I'm researching Perisher and Hotham. But Falls Creek is still an option. I do not want to fly to another country. Kids, planes and airports are best kept to a minimum.
    So to give more detail. I want to drive to the resort. Park a reasonable distance from the lifts. Walk to lifts. Meals on mountain. Drive back to accommodation. I have driven in Japan and Canada on very snowy roads in a 4WD and I'm not inexperienced.
    Out of Perisher, Hotham and Falls Creek. What would best suit this plan ?

21. absentskier

absentskier Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Perisher probably.

22. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

The road to Perisher from Jindabyne is a doddle compared to the roads up to Falls or Hotham.

23. Ramshead

You're hearing "avoid Thredbo" because your ears are not attuned to the sarcasm of many of the posters here. And now you're hearing it from me too, because like them, I would rather keep Australia's longest, prettiest, best snowmade runs and best village to myself too.

blowfin likes this.
  24. DPS Driver

DPS Driver Dedicated Member

Scratching head.

Yep you're better off steering clear of Thredbo. Ya can lead a horse to water ....

skichanger likes this.
  25. telecrag

telecrag Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

One Thredbo dollar will only buy a third of a Buller buck!

tele-whippet likes this.
  26. GCoops

GCoops Just Registered

Thank you for the information about Thredbo. There have been several posts about not going there. I haven't skied in Australia before. The conclusion appears Perisher seems to fit our plans. I'll get the wife to check out accommodation and the resort further. You have been very helpful.

27. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

One minor consideration @GCoops, is that in Victoria, even 4WDs have to carry snow chains in the alpine area. In NSW, 4WDs are not required to have them. I'm not saying this should influence your choice of resort, but if you do opt for a Victorian resort, make sure you organise appropriate snow chains.

28. telecrag

Season Pass Gold

I though chains were illegal in Vic, and you had to have proper snow tyres fitted?

Egbert and Snow Blowey like this.
  29. telecrag

Season Pass Gold

@GCoops lots of tongue in cheek stuff here, but Perisher sounds like it would suit your needs best IMO, it has more intermediate terrain than Thredbo, its basically all like Merritts, only much bigger!

DPS Driver and Ramshead like this.
  30. Marty_McSly

Season Pass Gold

Do we really want another snow tyres thread?

telecrag likes this.
  31. GCoops

GCoops Just Registered

Hi Marty. Are you sure about that? It has not been my experience other places I've skied. If you have a 4WD with M+S or snowtyres. You are not required to carry chains. What is different about Victoria? I plan to be driving everyday and I really don't like fitting chains.

32. telecrag

Season Pass Gold

Only if we can work helmets into it!

skichanger likes this.
  33. telecrag

Season Pass Gold

Well, they were the first state to introduce random drug testing, my Californian mate was horrified!

34. Marty_McSly

Season Pass Gold

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's the case. Put it this way, if I'm wrong, there'll be a Vicco along very shortly to flame me! I'll refer it to a local. Paging @teckel.

35. Marty_McSly

Season Pass Gold

Let me count the ways... :D

telecrag likes this.
  36. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member

Victorian resorts require all cars to carry chains, in NSW 4WD are exempt, however there are days when even 4WD need them. If you're skiing Perisher on a really bad weather day, you can catch the skitube (which is a train from below the snowlike up to the resort).

Even though you may be experienced in driving in snow, many Australian drivers are not. There was a day last year when a blizzard came in in the afternoon, something like 100 cars off the road from Perisher, many of them 4WD, and stories of people taking 4-5hours to get down on what is normally a 30 minute drive.

SMSkier likes this.
  37. Marty_McSly

Season Pass Gold

This times eleventy million.

LMB and SMSkier like this.
  38. GCoops

GCoops Just Registered

My experience is that this happens worldwide in particularly bad storms. But the fitting of chains to 4WD's with appropriate tyres has always been the driver's choice.
    I will factor this into my choice. Thank you for the information.

39. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member

You must carry them in Vic though and I believe there are times 4wd are instructed to fit them. I'm a NSW skier and have only been to Buller twice, in spring, in a 4wd but still had to hire chains in case I was asked to show them.

40. teckel

teckel Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

This is true. Chains required for 4WDs except Lake Mountain (only 2WDs need them there).
    Let's face it, in NSW you've got a much easier road (and the option of the skitube) as opposed to Hotham or Baw Baw for instance.

41. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member

Even the Buller rd is scarier than Perisher/Thredbo.

42. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

If money is not an issue, stay at Lake Crackenback Resort.
    It is only a spit away from the Ski Tube up to Perisher and about a 10 minute drive into Thredbo.
    That way you will truly have the best of both worlds and be able to choose dependant on mood, weather and skiable terrain at the time.:thumbs:

43. SMSkier

SMSkier Dedicated Member

If your leaning to NSW....,

I ski Perisher and Thredbo with a seasons pass for both. Living locally and doing the drive to the resorts upwards of 100 times a year.....my choice is....,.....they each have their merits.

Thredbo hard to top when it's true top to bottom natural snow-but that's a lottery. Parking and access not my favourite at Thredbo when it's busy. Perisher gives the option of drive and park close to the lifts or leverage the ski tube and walk straight onto the lifts (pretty much). Assuming you leave early.

As Chikski mentioned, there are days when the road to both resorts is a shocker. Perisher affords the option of skitube thus avoiding traffic jams associated with heavy snow and multiple accidents. But remember that skitube is pretty much half way to Thredbo in any case.

If your happy to stay in Jindy and drive, I'd lean towards Perisher with the caveat that you want to leave early when it's busy for either resort. Especially if it's been snowing.

Enjoy the holiday!

44. SMSkier

SMSkier Dedicated Member

That's on the money. Folks were hitting town post 10 pm after leaving the hill around 4pm. Bad driving was a major contributor as well as the weather. Some cars so far into the paddocks that you know speed was the primary causal agent!

chicski likes this.
  45. teckel

teckel Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Re Buller and chains: They must always be carried if you're staying overnight. BUT, if you're going up from a town at the bottom on a daily basis, chains need only be carried on days it's expected to snow. And even when 2WDs require chains, 4WDs may or may not.

46. robbo mcs

robbo mcs Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

To answer the original question.

In early season (June, early july) then definitely perisher. Perisher has the most terrain above 1700m and has the most snow making above 1700m, which gives it the best chance of having a reasonable amount of good cover at that time of the year (but no guarantee)

Later in the season a lot more of the other factors come into play, and then it becomes more of a sensible argument about which resort.

Personally I wouldn't waste money staying on snow at that time of year, as there probably won't be any snow around the hotels and lodges. Stay in Jindabyne, which is much cheaper. That would also give you the option of going to thredbo if the cover is good

skifree and DidSurfNowSki like this.
  47. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

And going sailing if there really is not any snow.

Or fishing, horse riding, moutain biking, water skiing, trail wandering, the cinema, swimming (heated pool in Jindy).

48. Olgreg

Olgreg Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

One last piece of advice, without comment on the relative merits of our two great NSW resorts. The Interschools races are on in the first two weeks of July, the first week at Perisher, the second at Thredbo. The roads to each will be very busy from early in the morning, parking will be difficult. And a number of runs will be set aside during the day for races.
    There will also be lots of over anxious parents grieving that "Zachary did not deserve to be disqualified like that" thus spoliling the alpine atmosphere.
    So I would advise choosing the resort in its quieter week.
    Nonetheless, it is school holidays here for the first two weeks of July, and you can expect it to be busy.
    I hope you enjoy your trip.

49. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

On the other hand, Interschools means that a lot of people who bought tickets are hanging around courses and are not riding lifts or skiing. The courses tend to be tucked away in quiet corners, at least at Perisher.

50. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member

Such as Front Valley?

Normo likes this.