skiing in Chile this July

Discussion in 'Less Travelled' started by tom teton, Feb 27, 2016.

tom teton

tom teton New Member

Hi Guys,

I was booked to go to Europe this July for a few weeks in their summer. I have decided to pull the pin on that trip and am now going to go skiing in Chile by myself.

Anyways, I am looking at doing 2 weeks skiing.

1 week in Valle Nevado

1 week in Ski Portillo

The prices seem pretty steep. Portillo is $4800 USD for a week and Valle Nevado is $2800USD. The prices do include lift passes and meals.

So that is like $10,000AUD for 2 weeks skiing, its a lot of money, but I guess once there I won't spend much money as food and lift passes are included.

Prices from this website this website http://www.chileanski.com/eng/ski-resorts.htm

Does anyone know a way to get better deals?

parkmonkey

parkmonkey Old And Crusty Season Pass Gold

Heaps of place to the stay in Farellones, i was in backpacker accom when i was there no thrills hitching everyday (around $50 a day including breakfast and dinner i was in a couple different places but was there 6 weeks) but there are place you can stay that will drive you to the resort. Remember all three resorts are linked, Valle Nevado, El Colorado and La Parva and all have accom, depending which pass you get you can ski all three and then stay where you want. I didn't go to Portillo but there were people staying in the same accom as me who had a week there and there's no way they'd be paying the above prices.

:thumbs: essjaywhy likes this.
    tom teton

tom teton New Member

great feedback, thanks.

How much is lift pass per day for all three resorts?

parkmonkey

Not sure, i was just doing some googling, looks like they do 2 different 2 resort combos not sure if you can get all 3 and no prices. You could always stay in Farellones or El Colorado and get transport in the morning to where you want to ski (you would need to make sure where you are staying does this) I only hitched in the morning cos you can ski from Valle Nevado back to El Colorado (without having to use any of their lifts) for happy hour an down to Farellones if thats where you're staying. El Colorado and La Parva are side by side, then Valle Nevado is kinda over the other side, i think its still a 16km drive from Farellones to get there.

Marc8491927

Marc8491927 Active Member

Portillo's own website puts the price peak season considerably less than that.

Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

Maybe try someone like Travelplan ski holidays in Australia and ask them for a quote if you want to book it all in as a package.
    I know for a fact there are better deals available. 1st world buyers - pay more.
    Eg. I just looked at a package online now to Valle Nevado aimed at the Brazilian market.
    7 nights in Hotel Tres Puntas, lift tickets, breakfast and dinner in hotel (no lunch included) $1578 US dollars.
    Date 22nd July to 29th.

Mr Charon

Mr Charon Active Member

When I stayed in Portillo some years ago, they had the choice of 3 types of accom. The top one is very pricey, but gets you in the main hotel. The other two types of accom are located in different buildings. Great skiing, super powder. Just over the border from Portillo in Argentina is Los Penitentes. Nothing to write home about, as resorts go, but, its only 30min drive and something different for a day. Spectacular scenery in that region, to cap things off.

As PM said, Farellones is a good location to stay. Access to a number of places to ski and cheaper accom.

Enjoy.

parkmonkey

Its been snowing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

parkmonkey

parkmonkey

parkmonkey

[​IMG]
    We are getting buried. This storm is delivering in Ski Portillo Chile.
    It reminds us of the epic snow storm in 2007 that buried Portillo.

2007 was the season i was there :D

Froff Life

Froff Life Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

9-10 feet reports are saying!?!?
    Opening day June 18? Ma gawd

:thumbs: parkmonkey likes this.
    Froff Life

Froff Life Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

Have you skied yet PM? Surely the touring at the moment would be insane

parkmonkey

I'm not over there, have seen footage though

incogski

incogski Dedicated Member

F*** yeah, I'll be in SA from the end of July for 6 months, gonna have to restructure my travel budget and get some skiing in for sure.

:thumbs: parkmonkey and Froff Life like this.
    parkmonkey

essjaywhy

essjaywhy Active Member

LAN has $1100 rt NZ flights on now,
    when is the sweet spot for Santiago skiing ; the period of : modest crowds + decent base cover + best chance of fresh ?!