Ski Travel Insurance

Discussion in 'Passport' started by wat17, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Daverw

Daverw Just Registered

Thanks smackies - that looks good!!

2. nfip

nfip Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

AAMI that is all.

3. jaac

jaac Active Member

Anyone have experience of taking out policies for longer than a year? I'm planning a 18-24 month working holiday with longer stays in japan, europe and canada. Most policies are only available for a year maximum.

4. mannyk

mannyk Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

renew them after a year I guess? Canada ins, is a lot dearer so maybe better to ins per area,

5. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Yep renew each year!

6. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Thanks for this.

Just searched the PDS and under "we wont pay" it says this only

"Sports and Leisure
    27. Your claim arises because you hunt, race (other than on foot), engage in Open Water Sailing, play polo, go mountaineering or rock climbing using ropes or climbingequipment (other than for hiking) or fromprofessional sport of any kind, or from parachuting or hang gliding."

Liking this as a supplement to my credit card insurance.

7. Curto

Curto Dedicated Member

I've been living and working in the US for the last 15 months but unfortunately my job is ending next week which means also my benefits/health insurance. I'm planning on staying here for another 6 months for the ski season so need some insurance to cover that.

I just started looking into a couple mentioned here but the first thing that jumped out was that it needs to be purchased prior to starting your trip. Does anybody have experience with buying insurance for a country/trip that you are already on? I don't have the option of leaving and re-entering.

8. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I think your best bet is a global annual policy. I think the question for that is more "where is your country of residence' which is a very different question to "have you already left"

Regarding your current situation Its not a case of leaving the US - it would be a case of coming 'home' and going back.

I had this issue when I lived in the UK and the only way round it was an annual policy.

9. Curto

Curto Dedicated Member

Thanks @Ozgirl. Not really an option to come 'home' and return either - that's what I was actually referring too.

I can continue to pay my current benefits but that is something like $350+ a month which is not good for 6 months with no income - at least I know I'd have full coverage as it is pretty good.

Although I don't know the validity of that as I will be changing status from non-immigrant to tourist, so I'd better look into it.

10. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Sorry - yes i realized if you could leave the US (to even go to mexico) then coming home wasn't a possibility.

I was just making sure you knew that was what the travel insurance company was asking.

As I said look into annual policies as it is a different kettle of fish.

11. travelislife

travelislife Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I would give an Aus company a call Curto and have a chat with them to find out what the options are with regard to the 'start of trip' clause.

12. Curto

Curto Dedicated Member

Yep, I reckon that's exactly what I'll do. I just added it up and continuing my current benefits is going to cost me over $2K! It might be worth it though - I spent a week in hospital 3 months ago and the total was nearly $30,000, and I've only paid about $1500 on top of my employee contributions.

13. Chondro

Chondro Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Booked with ouch.com.au
    $288 for my wife and I, 16 days skiing/snowboarding

full back country cover & unlimited evacuation costs etc.

email from ouch:-

Hi Leigh,

The policy will cover the following provided you purchase the additional snow sports cover;

· Back country skiing and snowboarding both guided and unguided?

Included in the Snow Sports Cover offered by Ouch are any evacuation and repatriation cost in addition to the medical and related expenses. This level of cover is unlmited.

All cover is subject to the usual terms and conditions outlined in the attached PDS.

Kind Regards,

Ouch Travel Insurance

if anyone wants a copy of the terms and conditions let me know and i can email through

14. Doonks

Doonks Let's cook!
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

15. Doonks

Doonks Let's cook!

either this is wrong, or its out of date. This is a cut n paste from the TID PDS:

Section 16: Snow sports and activities option

You only have this cover if you have paid the additional premium for this option and it is noted on your Certificate of Insurance.

1. When you purchase this option, cover under Sections 1-5, 7, 9 and 12-15 under the International and Annual Multi Trip plans and Sections 2, 3, 12, 14 and 15 under the Domestic plan is extended when you participate in specific snow sports and activities (listed in 1a-e below). This cover is subject to the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions detailed in each applicable section and applies when you participate in the following activities in areas designated as safe by a resort, tour operator or local authority:

a) snow skiing and snowboarding on-piste and off-piste within resort and terrain park boundaries on groomed or ungroomed runs and marked trails which are patrolled or monitored by resort authorities;

b) backcountry snow skiing and snowboarding, including heli-skiing and cat skiing, only when on a guided tour with a licensed tour operator;

c) cross country skiing on marked trails; tobogganing (on-piste);

d) using snowmobiles when provided by the recognised piste authority for transport to and from areas designed for recreational skiing within resort boundaries or when on a guided tour with a licensed tour operator;

e) ice/glacier walking (up to 3,000 metres), sleigh riding and dog sledding, only when on a guided tour with a licensed tour operator

2. Piste closure: We will pay you $100 for a single policy or $200 for a family policy for each day that the skiing facilities at the resort you have pre-booked before your trip commenced and that you are staying in during the usual ski season for that resort are totally closed due to adverse snow conditions (including absence of snow). You must obtain a detailed written report from the resort management in support of your claim. Furthermore, the resort’s outdoor ski facilities must be at least 1,000 metres above sea level.

3. Snow skiing pre-paid costs: We will pay you the proportional amounts of irrecoverable pre-paid charges you have
    paid (or contracted to pay before the trip commenced) for ski equipment hire, lift passes and ski-school costs if, during your trip, you are prevented from skiing for more than 24 hours following your sudden illness or serious injury sustained during your trip. You must obtain a medical certificate from a registered medical practitioner in support of your claim for your sudden illness or serious injury.

4. Snow skiing equipment replacement: We will pay you for the hire of alternative ski equipment:

a) following accidental loss, theft or damage of your ski equipment and for which a claim has been accepted by us under Section 14; or

b) if you are temporarily deprived of your ski equipment for a period of more than 24 hours from the scheduled time of arrival at the snow destination due to delay or misdirection of your ski equipment.

5. Hired snow skiing equipment: We will pay for accidental loss, theft or accidental damage to hired snow skiing equipment (skis, poles, ski boots and bindings, ski helmets, snowboards, snowboard boots and bindings) for which you have a written hire agreement with a licenced hire company. The maximum amount we will pay for any one item (item limit) is $700. The maximum amount we will pay for all claims combined under this section is shown under Policy Benefits (page 06) for the plan you have
    selected

16. Stratus

Stratus Addicted Member

Looks like they've changed it to include "off piste in resort boundaries" . Good pick up.

17. teckel

teckel Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Umm. The post you quoted is dated Jun 22, 2012. ;)

Stratus likes this.
  18. Doonks

Doonks Let's cook!

Umm. I know it was

We used TID for Canada in 09/10. Was the same then I'm sure

19. skichanger

skichanger Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

We have just signed up as affiliates for a company that gives you some choices including heli skiing. Check my website next week for details ;)

20. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

21. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

22. skichanger

Season Pass Gold

#272 skichanger, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  23. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Wow that is cheeky to put it in another document!

24. skichanger

Season Pass Gold

Oh it is referenced on the page where you get the quote.

The thing is with travel insurance almost none of the cover skiing/boarding unless you add it in as an extra. And even then you need to look at what it covers when it gets added in.

25. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

And often when they say "ski coverage" it merely means they cover being unable to ski due to lack of snow rather than injuries, rescues etc. which is a bit of a crock.

26. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

This one does cover skiing just not off piste!

27. travelislife

travelislife Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

insure4less is one of the most transparent in this regard.

28. sbm

sbm Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

I gotta give Ouch.com.au another thumbs up. They've been able move the dates on my insurance (!?) and add two extra days for a very small additional premium, the service via email has been smooth so far.

Now, if only the uni sport & rec insurance provider was this organised and easy to deal with... :headbang:

29. sara777

sara777 Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

I think I have written it somewhere in this thread before, but surprisingly, AAMI was able to cover everything when I went to the snow. My CC insurance was very grey when rang and asked: if I re-injure my knee while off piste.. Whereas AAMI said 'no exlusion'. I had them email it to me, just to have the confirmation in writing. Give them a ring.

30. Chondro

Chondro Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

We pulled the trigger on ouch. pretty happy

31. Angus_McCrory

Angus_McCrory Old And Crusty

Have used AAMI for the last 8 years; have a household annual policy.... but having a 25% discount makes it less expensive (via professional association membership).

32. Nozawaman

Nozawaman Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

I used Ouch 168 days includes heli skiing in Alaska $790 .

33. Mtn2Sea

Mtn2Sea Active Member

Just going through this exercise now as well. I have been looking at the NAB Travel Insurance underwritten by Allianz. Not going to say it is the cheapest but it has not exclusions for skiing. After reading this thread I rang to double check and whilst the PDS doesn't say so the person I spoke to says nothing is excluded in regards skiing unless you are going to jump out you a helicopter.

34. skichanger

Season Pass Gold

We had a really good look at this and whilst it says skiing is covered there is no mention of rescue. So you may be covered for injuries but not for the rescue.

Do you have more info on this?

35. Curto

Curto Dedicated Member

Buy a fishing license. You get one rescue on that.

36. yourmate

yourmate Active Member

37. dawooduck

dawooduck Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

My input after the exhausting process of reading PDS ....

AIG insurance does not exclude off piste or backcountry. Its simply state in its sports coverage "skiing".

Nominally $10 a day for full International Comprehensive.

38. Al Bevo

Al Bevo Active Member

First post, just to say thanks to those who let me know about Ouch through here. I was getting frustrated trying to decipher the exclusions of other companies. After reading this thread I asked Ouch the following:

I would like to confirm if I will be covered for rescue and injury from off-piste snowboarding, back country snowboarding and out of bounds snowboarding? Will I be covered for helicopter rescue in these areas?

And received the following email reply:

The policy will cover the following provided you purchase the additional Snow Sports Cover;
    · Off-piste snowboarding
    · Back country snowboarding
    · Out of bounds snowboarding
    Included in the Snow Sports Cover offered by Ouch are any evacuation and repatriation cost in addition to the medical and related expenses. This will include emergency evacuation by helicopter when medically necessary.

It's nice to have that clarity regarding what's covered. Cost was $130 for 8 days, which was the cheapest quote I had received from anyone, even those that didn't include off-piste.

Olgreg, Stratus, dr80 and 2 others like this.
  39. PMG

PMG Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Been looking at Ouch because of everyone's recommendations and find them a bit confusing. I have a quote from their website of $150.75 for 9 days including snow sports cover under their Premiers Plus Extra Travel Plan. Because I couldn't find any reference to what they cover you for re snow sports I sent off an email as a lot of others have done asking what exactly they do cover you for.
    Received following;
    "Hi (PMG),
    Thank you for your enquiry, the total cost for the period of time you wish to travel will be $371.00, this is a full comprehensive with unlimited medical see schedule, attached is a policy wording refer page 65 for what’s covered under snow sports. Which does cover skiing outside of the boundaries of the resorts.
    If you have any further queries, do not hesitate to contact our office.
    Regards"

QBETravel.pdf

The quote from their website and what I was given by email are worlds apart. Anyone here actually claimed for a snow riding injury with Ouch?

#289 PMG, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  40. Stratus

Stratus Addicted Member

I'd say a mistake from an uninformed employee.

41. PMG

PMG Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

His title is Senior Account Executive so you would assume he knows what he is talking about. Anyway, I've sent off a "please explain" so I'll see what he comes back with.

42. Snorkler

Snorkler Part of the Furniture

I have complimentary travel Insurance with NAB cards and have interrogated them over skiing and there are no exclusions around it. Makes it handy when a partner can go with you and they are covered as well.

43. StuckinQld

StuckinQld Active Member

I've made the same conclusions after discussion with Westpac in the past regarding their compliemtary travel insurance. I'll be following this up again now in regards to this trip. They have stated that as long as it's not listed as excluded, it's included. Let you know if I find out anymore, especially in regards to backcountry skiing with /without a guide.

44. Snorkler

Snorkler Part of the Furniture

It really depends who underwrites the Insurance.

45. gidyup

gidyup Active Member

Most Credit Card insurance does not cover skiing or many other activities infact. so make sure you read your policy.

46. craighelo

craighelo Active Member

Is that a fact based statement?

My current credit card insurance covers skiing with restrictions and has a 30 day maximum on trips so was looking today at changing cards and of the five I compared today all covered skiing, some with restrictions and some without.

The one I applied for had 120 day coverage and no restrictions on skiing.

47. jgm

jgm Active Member

My Westpac Black covers me completely - the only restriction is engaging in professional sport.

Snorkler likes this.
  48. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

I don't know if "most" is fact based, but "some" would certainly be correct. The Westpac policy of 3 or 4 years ago required an upgrade for snow sports. If you don't check, the worst time to discover the exclusion is when you need the cover. ALWAYS check your policy.

49. PMG

PMG Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Got a reply from the Senior Account Executive as follows;

"Hi (PMG),
    I made some inquiries and was advised that the ouch product is a different product to the entertainment book we offer, not sure why there is an almost double price difference.
    Regards"
    Find this odd as I originally contacted service@ouch.com.au
    Giving Ouch a miss.

#299 PMG, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  50. d'girl

d'girl Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

ppl can give themselves inflated job titles. ie CEO of a tile laying business ;)