Ski Travel Insurance

Discussion in 'Passport' started by wat17, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Chondro

Chondro Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

quote from travel insurance direct

Cover for Skiing and Snowboarding
    For policies purchased on or after 3 October 2013

When you buy the Snow Sports and Activities option, you are covered while participating in the following activities, provided you are in areas designated as safe by a resort, tour operator or local authority:

• snow skiing and snowboarding on-piste and off-piste within resort and terrain park boundaries on groomed or ungroomed runs and marked trails which are patrolled or monitored by resort authorities;
    • backcountry snow skiing and snowboarding, including heli-skiing and cat skiing, only when on a guided tour with a licensed tour operator;

Snorkler likes this.
  2. travelislife

travelislife Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

The problem is that something like the gates at Niseko are outside the resort boundary I am pretty sure so you wouldn't be covered.

3. silva

silva Active Member

Another option for people. I have just taken out insurance for DH for a trip to the states and found that Insure and Go will sell you basic insurance which covers unlimited medical and that you can specify pre-existing conditions and it doesnt increase the price exponentially. DH recently broke his arm (smashed it) and required 3 plates and 19 screws to piece it back together. Credit card insurance will not cover him if he injured that arm while overseas. I did not want cover for baggage, cancelation etc - just medical and this was a much better option than anywhere else.

I also learnt to read the clauses about preexisting conditions very carefully - when questioned some policies reply was if you have ever had an injury to that body part it could be considered a pre-existing condition and wont be covered. Others had time limits - you have to declare anything in the last 5 or 10 years. Insure and Go - declare anything in the last 5 years.

4. LMB

LMB Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

I just want to give a shout out to Medibank as a travel insurer. Not ski related, but nonetheless.

My God daughter and her mother were on a post Yr12 USA trip of a lifetime when she got viral pneumonia. She very quickly went from laughing it up at the Orlando theme parks to ICU in Pennsylvania. She is in an induced coma and her blood is being oxygenated outside her body. She has now had 2 surgery's, and she has only been in hospital 2 days.

Medibank organised for her father to fly over to be by his wife and daughters side.
    They just needed a signed statement from the doctors surgery stating that there was no preexisting lung issue. The usual GP was on holiday, but the medical records are shared in the surgery. They refused to provide this document until the doctor was back from holidays.

When Medibank was informed they merely had Dad sign a form declaring there was no preexisting condition and he is on a plane.

They have made every step along the way as simple as possible. When your child is critical - that is a very large blessing.

Good work Medibank.

5. Seth

Seth Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Got a bit of an unusual question.

Currently have travel insurance with insure4less for the upcoming Japan trip. The +1's 90 something grandmother is unwell. I read the PDS last night and it seems it doesn't matter who you are if you are over 85 you aren't a relative for insurance purposes so if we have to come back mid trip i think we are stuffed. Will call them today to clarify.

Has anyone come across this issue before or know of a policy that would include a 90+ grannie as a relative?

:cheers:

6. blutek

blutek Dedicated Member

just googled this review, might clarify how they work:
    "Insure4Less don't insure anyone over 65 years old to keep premiums down but, don't feel if you're over 65 they have abandoned you, far from true. If you're between 66 - 80 years old, they direct you to a sister site to a company named Suresave Travel Insurance. By getting to Suresave Travel through Insure4less's website you qualify for a 20 percent discount. Not a bad deal!"

http://www.insuranceonus.com.au/insurance-reviews/insure4less-insurance-reviews.php

7. mollydooka

mollydooka Active Member

Thanks for the ouch.com.au tip Stratus. I couldn't open your Schedule of Benefits link. And after going thru the online quote, & adding the $60 for winter sports cover, I couldn't find a disclosure statement with specific reference to winter sports??!! Can you point me in the right direction?
    Cheers!

8. Stratus

Stratus Addicted Member

They don't seem to specifically mention Skiing as they have no exclusions for it. I had to end up emailing them to be sure...

"Dear Stratus,

You are not automatically covered for snow sports and this will incur a
    charge of $60 for Single Travel Plans and $120 for Family or Duo Plans.

The policy does not have any exclusions as to where skiing can be undertaken

Included in the Snow Sports Cover offered by Ouch are any evacuation and
    repatriation cost in addition to the medical and related expenses. This
    will include emergency evacuation that may require the use of a helicopter
    when medically necessary.

Kind Regards,

Ouch Travel Insurance"

9. Stratus

Stratus Addicted Member

They are quite quick to reply to email, so I'd recommend shooting them a message if you have any queries. :)

10. smitty484

smitty484 Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Yeah my email says:

Hi Smitty,

The policy does not exclude skiing or snowboarding provided you purchase the additional Snow Sports Cover.

You will be covered for both off piste and backcountry skiing provided the additional cover is purchased. Everything cannot be itemised in the policy, if it is not under general exclusion, as a sport, and you are not being paid as a professional you are covered.

Kind Regards,

Ouch Travel Insurance

11. Olgreg

Olgreg Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

I went with Ouch after finding I was not fully covered for backcountry with Suresave. They responded quickly by email and I was covered for any eventuality I could imagine.

12. mollydooka

mollydooka Active Member

Seems odd that you have to rely on an email from Ouch, with nothing specific outlined in their disclosure statement??!! I wouldn't feel comfortable with that, if it came to a dispute surely Ouch could claim that their correspondent had communicated the wrong info??!!
    Ski-insurance.com.au are backed by Allianz, are $14 cheaper than Ouch (for a 15 day trip), & have an extensive list of inclusions/exclusions in their policy statement. They include off-piste (but not backcountry, although you can specifically request that I think).
    Ski-insurance.com.au is actually 1cover.com.au, just a different name. Surprised to see that someone had a bad experience with 1cover, as Allianz is a reputable company.

13. smitty484

smitty484 Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Not relying on the email, its just added back up. Unlike ski-insurnace.com.au, they have no exclusion for backcountry. This is merely backed up by communication with the company.

14. Olgreg

Olgreg Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

I don't remember all the detail, but I think I was considering Ouch compared with Insure4less?? Not sure of the latter. But the fine detail was that I4less would not cover me if I went BC with a guide. I phoned to check and the guy was apologetic but definite regarding this policy. Ouch had no such restriction.

15. Stratus

Stratus Addicted Member

I would say that if they don't exclude it in their PDS, and you have proof via email confirming this (as above) there is nothing to worry about. FYI Ouch is backed by QBE Travel.

16. drc13

drc13 Active Member

I have a couple of overseas trips booked this year so it's time for me to sort out travel insurance again. The first trip is a 2 week road trip on the NZ south island. I will probably hire a Jucy Van (so will need rental car coverage) The second trip is a USA/Canada trip which will involve car hire again and in both cases I would like the ability to ride off piste.

In the past I have used AAMI as it didn't seem to exclude off piste snowboarding. I was planning on using them again but upon reading the PDS if I'm reading it correctly it looks like there rental car excess coverage requires you to still purchase the hire companies inflated insurance as well.

So looking into alternatives I scanned through Allianz PDS.

Nowhere in their PDS could I see anything even mentioning snow sports (which would imply they aren't excluded from coverage) These are the main sports based exclusions

As for rental vehicles it seems ok as well (although I might need to clarify the "does not take place of rental vehicle insurance line"

My only concern is Jucy states that they may also charge for any additional days the car is off the road for repairs which I don't beleive would be covered by the travel insurance excess.

So what do you guys think? I'm concerned I must be missing something as it seems a little too easy for full snow/off piste coverage at a very reasonable price.

17. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

Just send Allianz an email and ask if they include snow sports. I've used plenty of insurance policies that make no mention of snow sports exclusions. In fact on one occasion I was advised by the insurance company to use their general travel insurance policy rather than their skier specific policy.

As for rental car insurance, all the travel policies I've seen only cover the excess which is normally $4000-$6000. I've never seen a travel policy that totally covers the rental car so you always need to take out some rental car insurance.

18. Jeany83

Jeany83 Just Registered

I was just looking for travel insurance for my upcoming trip to canada. Turns out you're not covered off-piste on Allianz products. This is what this website says:
    Snowboarding and skiing
    This is covered by most insurers in Australia provided you have purchased an insurance policy that includes ski/snow cover. However if you’re planning on racing down the slopes acting recklessly, doing stunts, or skiing off-piste then you might find yourself without cover. InsureandGo cover for off-piste skiing with a professional snow instructor or guide.

[- Deleted, commercial post -]

#218 Jeany83, May 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2014
  19. travelislife

Season Pass Gold

A lot of people use insure4less and select the off-piste cover or aami which doesn't seem to exclude it.

20. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

That's NOT the Allianz website. Read the Allianz PDS or phone Allianz.

#220 Born2ski, May 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2014
    travelislife likes this.
  21. Rush

Rush Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Might be heading to Japan next year so I'm researching insurance options. Insure4less have a dedicated page for skiers : http://www.insure4less.com.au/page/Country_Skiing/

That sounds like it covers everything in Japan provided you don't do anything stupid, i.e. ski alone, or ski in high avalanche conditions or past closed gates etc.

Although it may not cover any issues I have with my eye as they don't cover any operations performed in the last 24 months as standard. Maybe I'll buy two policies.

Ouch.com.au has no online information regarding their snow sports cover.

gareth_oau likes this.
  22. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

23. travelislife

Season Pass Gold

I have gone with AAMI again.

nfip likes this.
  24. Rush

Rush Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Have had an interesting experience with AIG insurance. The PDS states
    "Adventure activities

Most amateur sporting and adventure activities are covered
    at no extra cost on ALL plans. Activities covered include snow
    skiing, bungee jumping, para-sailing, water skiing, white water
    rafting, trekking, cycling and hot air ballooning."

But if you speak to them and ask them specifically about skiing out-of-bounds through the Niseko gates into the adjacent park and forest, the detailed information from their underwriters (which they cannot give you) state that they only cover backcountry skiing with a reputable guide.

I had two conflicting conversations with their 'customer service agents' and it took a third conversation to thrash this out. I'm now awaiting confirmation of my backcountry coverage in writing.

Which is another reason not to trust insurance companies and not to trust what is written in the PDS.

25. nfip

nfip Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

AAMI looked after me early this year , X-Ray ,MRI ,flight upgrade and transfers , physio ..... recommended

AAMI cover backcountry & heli skiing ( but not the helicopter flight itself ).

ihi Bupa will cover the heli flight.

26. Olgreg

Olgreg Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Thanks for that. I have gone with Ouch in the past but will check out AAMI. It always pays to email re backcountry and keep the response.

27. nfip

Season Pass Gold

I have copy of email trail questioning their cover of bc , their referrals to conditions of policy doc. etc.

28. travelislife

Season Pass Gold

Hi nfip, good to hear they looked after you. Regarding the helicopter flight are you saying that if a chopper is called in to rescue you they won't cover that? If so are you able to point me to where that is excluded? Or are you just saying that as you are on a 'non-scheduled' flight service you are not covered if the chopper went down?

29. nfip

Season Pass Gold

Yes I rang them about it when I went to Gulmarg couple of years back.
    AAMI would not cover Heli flight as it is a non- scheduled commercial flight.
    They would cover skiing from a heli , but not if chopper comes down scenario
    ihiBupa will cover the Heli flight and skiing.

Be aware also AAMI will not cover for retrieval / backcountry rescue.

Edit :Here's my email advice from AAMI.

To clarify for you, yes we do cover the activity of heli-skiing, however it is the helicopter trip itself that may not be covered if it is not a ‘scheduled commercial, power-driven aircraft’ (eg. Most resorts helicopters are privately owned and wouldn’t be scheduled flights). The actual skiing portion once you have left the helicopter would be covered.
    This information is located on P. 37 of the AAMI International Travel Insurance PDS (Product Disclosure Statement).
    If you need to discuss this in more detail, please call us on 13 22 44 to speak with one of our travel insurance consultants.

30. travelislife

Season Pass Gold

Thanks for that. I really hate how every individual activity needs to be checked. I did know about this clause already but so many people go on site seeing helicopter trips all over the world and most would not be covered if the chopper crashes, it is a right royal PIA for activities which 'seem' common place and low risk. But they will cover the skiing bit which is a plus (and seems more dangerous to me)!

What is excluded regarding search and rescue? I.e if you break your leg off-piste (outside resort boundary) but your skiing partner contacts ski patrol and gets them to collect you from the known location is that not covered? I can't see anywhere it is excluded from their policy.

31. nfip

Season Pass Gold

Can't find it now..dammit !
    Flick them an email to confirm is best
    aami@aami.com.au
    They where pretty good when I went thru it all with them.

32. Angus_McCrory

Angus_McCrory Old And Crusty

Expense but QBE cover all bases. I get an annual policy and also a 25% discount ( professional association) but family policy still comes out around $800-$900 p.a.

33. bullet

bullet Well-Known Member

Ive been looking at the PDS for the complimentary cover with my CC, its issued by QBE and cover off piste, and backcountry (i emailed them, ) its the ANZ Premium Card insurance. Has anyone had any issues or dealings with this particular product?

34. mannyk

mannyk Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

ski-insurance.com.au quoted $477.00 2pax, Japan feb 23 days. Last trip Jan 2014 15 days $156.00 2 pax.
    Thats a big price jump??? I wonder if its because its 5 mnths before I travel?

35. mannyk

mannyk Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

insure4less $195

36. Scooter

Scooter Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Hey mannyk - my other half normally organises our insurance and she asked me the other day to look at it as when she did the prices had seemed to jump - like really jump - like double+ on the last couple of trips :eek:

She reckons there might have been some changes (regulatory??) around Oct (which we would have snuck in before) last year which might be the reason for the jump - I have no idea. Last lot of policies we have had have been TID an they have been great (the other half has made a couple of claims - no issues).

This year looking at our trip (which is 40 odd days for her and 70 odd for me and the kids) the policies (and it works out cheaper to do them separate) are bloody expensive. TID was just over $900 and I tried Ouch as per comments above and that was just under $900 :tany:

37. mannyk

mannyk Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

cheers mate, so its not just me, It makes insure4less look like good value?

38. smackies

smackies Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

This year's hunt for travel insurance has commenced.

Japan + Gulmarg + pre-existing mashed up knee.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

39. nfip

Season Pass Gold

ihiBupa

But check them for the knee.

PS Gulmarg is not where you want to be dinking around with knee issues. Japan yes maybe , but Kashmir (Srinigar or Delhi where you'll end up) no thanks . It's a long way home .
    IMO
    :cheers:

40. smackies

smackies Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Cheers. Will email them.

Japan is the testing ground before Gulmarg. If I'm not 100% confident, I won't be going. Got a lot of fingers and things crossed. :)

41. smackies

smackies Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Insure4less won't cover a previously mashed knee.

However, for those interested, this is the response I received re off piste and backcountry (either with/without a guide).

"Cover is provided for off piste/back country subject to the insured person having indicated the dates that they will be participating in snow sports including off piste when they take out a policy and subject to the policy terms and conditions. It is a condition of the policy when Skiing in back-country areas within a recognised ski resort that the insured must follow that ski resort’s advice and guidelines at all times."

A back-country area within a resort seems odd, but perhaps relates to gate access from a resort. :confused:

42. smackies

smackies Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

1Cover re: offpiste & backcountry

"Under this policy, there is a provision to claim if your claim arises from skiing or snowboarding, providing its recreational and within the resort boundaries. Unfortunately we do not cover you if it is outside of resort boundaries."

43. sbm

sbm Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

I've gone with Ouch with the snow sports premium for a guided backcountry tour in Japan this year (real backcountry, no resorts involved). No exclusions regarding snow sports from what I've researched, and unlimited medical evacuation coverage.

Insure4less had a reputation with the climbers for the only company that would cover rock climbing holidays. They've started putting very specific exclusions for climbing in though and the premiums went way up, after claims.

Can't say I blame insurers honestly, if I ran an insurance company I sure wouldn't insure some people I know. As usual, it's the 99% making the rest of us look bad.

44. smackies

smackies Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Great success.

ihiBupa will cover the knee. Cheers for the suggestion @nfip.

Do Ouch cover search and rescue, sbm? (Scrap that, I assume your guide will organise).

nfip likes this.
  45. sbm

sbm Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

See the reply by Stratus above

46. sbm

sbm Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Oh this raises a question. Will my Australian personal locater beacon/epirb work in Japan? They're international right?

edit: yes apparently.

Can distress beacons be used overseas or can beacons registered in a foreign country be used in Australia?
    Cospas-Sarsat is a global system and distress beacon alerts are received by the satellites from anywhere on the Earth's surface. If an Australian-coded distress beacon is activated overseas an alert will be sent to the Rescue Coordination Centre responsible for the region in which the distress incident is occurring. A second notification is then sent to RCC-Australia as the registrar for the beacon.

Likewise, alerts from beacons registered in other countries that are activated in the Australian region will be received by RCC-Australia. Australian residents who buy a distress beacon registered elsewhere should have the beacon recoded with the Australian country code by a local agent and have it registered with AMSA.

47. Daverw

Daverw Just Registered

Hi All,

I have an annual Travel Insurance Direct policy but did not select the snow sports option when I took it out. They have advised this cant be added at a later date and I need a whole new policy for my 8 day trip to Japan... :mad:

Does anyone know of a policy which will cover just Medical for skiing/boarding (will be on-piste, nothing too daring!) as I already have all the other cover.

Thanks in advance!

Dave.

48. mannyk

mannyk Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

you normally get 14 days grace to change your mind on a ins, contracts.

49. Daverw

Daverw Just Registered

Thanks but purchased about 6 months ago - before I thought i would be going skiing.

50. smackies

smackies Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Allianz. Budget option is medical only.

Email them to confirm it still covers skiing. It did last year.