Ski Travel Insurance

Discussion in 'Passport' started by wat17, Jun 22, 2012.

1. sourmash

sourmash Well-Known Member

/\ /\ This.
    I used them for Niseko earlier in the year (and for USA next week ) when we spent several days in Tokyo on our way to Niseko. You would think Tokyo sightseeing was low risk compared to off piste skiing so it's refreshing to see an insurance company allowing for this in their policy options.

When they go to that level of detail, you know are serious about providing good cover. My experience with TID was that while not explicitly excluding off piste, you are actually not covered which I found out only after scanning their forums and asking them specific questions.

Best wishes, Sli1 on your wife's recovery.

#151 sourmash, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
  2. dawooduck

dawooduck Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Good luck with everything sli1.

3. BilbyBill

BilbyBill Well-Known Member

I asked TID to clarify what they meant by "off Piste" this is their reply.

"Off-piste is where you ski outside the resort bounds, most ski resorts have a designated area in which they say is safe to ski and this would be the on-piste area of the resort. Going outside this area would be considered as putting yourself at a needless risk and would not be covered by our policy."

#153 BilbyBill, Apr 16, 2013
  4. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

we just purchased our cover from 1cover for Canada later this year

5. craighelo

craighelo Active Member

After reading about exclusions here though I would check my complimentary Westpac credit card travel insurance that I have previously relied and was pretty happy to get the following reply

Thank you for your enquiry. Please find attached a copy of the relevant Westpac policy.

You will note the exclusions section beginning on page 21. In terms of winter sports the only exclusion is 'tobogganing.'

Skiing, whether it be on the bounds of a course or backcountry, is not excluded.

If you have any further enquiries please contact us on 132 687.
    Kind Regards
    Matthew
    Credit Card Insurance Customer Service Team
    General Insurance, NSW Regional Operations
    Zurich Financial Services Australia Limited

6. skichanger

skichanger Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Wow! Will have to check mine and may consider getting a Westpac credit card just because of the travel insurance.

Will also have to investigate how they deal with competitions and training.

7. JoeKing

JoeKing Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Depends if they pay up.

And that's the clincher. Do they pay?

8. BilbyBill

While in Canada this year, my +1 had the misfortune to take a fall and badly fracture her tibia plateau. The injury required surgery in Canada before we could travel home. We were insured with Travel Insurance Direct (TID).

I can report that they were absolutely fantastic. They were easy to contact though their Emergency Assistance. The surgeon in Canada was able to speak to the TID medical people, and we were offered every assistance we needed. We remained in Canada for the next three weeks and saw out the remanding time of our holiday which gave time for the injury to somewhat stabilise and allowed a follow up visit to the surgeon.

At the end of the trip arrangements were made by TID for our travel home. A limo was provided from Sun Peaks to Kamloops Airport. Two seats were booked to allow +1 to fly to Vancouver with her leg elevated. We were both booked into Exec 1st Class for the trip from Vancouver to Sydney, and 3 seats booked for the flight to Melbourne. We were offered further assistance if required to get from Melbourne to home.

On returning home we completed the claim forms, and claimed out of pocket expenses such as wheel chair rental, walking frame purchase, hospital admission, medications, and the taxi trips by me to and from Sun Peaks to Kamloops Hospital. all other hospital accounts were sent direct to the Insurers.

These out of pocket expenses were reimbursed within 10 days of our claim.

Before we took out the policy I asked them to clarify their meaning of "Off Piste" as they do not cover Off Piste. This is their answer.

"Off-piste is where you ski outside the resort bounds, most ski resorts have a designated area in which they say is safe to ski and this would be the on-piste area of the resort. Going outside this area would be considered as putting yourself at a needless risk and would not be covered by our policy."

So for anyone not considering skiing outside the resort boundary, I would highly recommend this Insurance.

9. JoeKing

JoeKing Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Canada. Seems damaging this year. Lots of peeps reporting mayhem. Yes?

10. gareth_oau

Season Pass Gold

BB, the TID policy seems a lot lower cost that Cover1 which we purchased.

I'm really glad that Paddymelon hurt herself, just so we could all learn how good TID is and we will be using them next time for sure!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

#160 gareth_oau, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  11. BofSki

BofSki Dedicated Member

We have used TID couple of times a year for several years without claim. RM then managed to 'misplace' her iPhone somewhere between Narita and Perth in Feb.

Wondered how the claim would go as we didn't have all the paperwork the T&Cs maintain you need - i.e. no police report - who has jurisdiction for something lost in transit? - we certainly weren't going back to Narita just to file a report!

In practice, while all the paperwork was a PITA, TID responded promptly and paid up equally promptly less depreciation. Luckily phone was only a few months old, so we got most of its value back.

I'm not sure if any travel insurers offer 'new for old' cover on personal items?

12. freddy

freddy Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I just did a quote for Woolworths Travel insurance.

$600 for 3 months in Japan includes off-piste skiing and snowboarding.

insure4less was $890 for same coverage.

13. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Does that include back country? I would've thought there would be a distinction between BC and in bounds off piste skiing?

#163 mick chopps, Jul 3, 2013
  14. freddy

freddy Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

not sure. did not read the fine print.

World Nomads has a specific level 3 for adventure sports. and it does include back country.
    $478

15. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Hmm, don't know if I would trust Woolworths for travel insurance let alone back country.

#165 Heinz, Jul 3, 2013
  16. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

What's not to trust about the fresh food people... [​IMG]

#166 mick chopps, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2013
  17. Snorkler

Snorkler Part of the Furniture

The bigger question to ask is who is their reinsurer?

#167 Snorkler, Jul 3, 2013
  18. freddy

freddy Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

#168 freddy, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
  19. Snorkler

So which other policies do Hollard tend to underwrite?

20. freddy

freddy Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

#170 freddy, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  21. Stratus

Stratus Addicted Member

QBE provided by Ouch (www.ouch.com.au)

Covered for Skiing with no exclusions including back-country. (I contacted them for confirmation of this).

$160 for 3 Weeks. (Japan)

It's like the equivalent of Travel Insurance Direct, price wise. I spent a good half hour reading the PDS from start to finish just to be sure.

Used them last year for Japan, will be using them again this year [​IMG]

Schedule of Benefits

#171 Stratus, Oct 2, 2013
  22. Olgreg

Olgreg Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Ditto. I went with them for Japan in January next year. I clarified the OOB exclusions by email. For me, there are none.
    You really need to clarify the shades of meaning in the PDS. One group seemed to offer no exclusions, but by emailing I found out that going OOB wih a guide or instructor was not covered. No real explanation why, except that maybe you would be encouraged to take more risks.

23. Stratus

Stratus Addicted Member

That's interesting as Insure and Go ( www.insurenandgo.com.au ) only cover OOB if you are with an experienced guide or instructor.

#173 Stratus, Oct 2, 2013
  24. Olgreg

Olgreg Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Yeh, I can't remember which company as I did it months ago and deleted all the emails after going with Ouch. But I did phone and talk to an actual human, who explained the policy, sounded apologetic, but that was policy.

25. Bonesss

Bonesss Active Member

I went with TID for 3 weeks cover earlier in the states this year, Snowboarded into a tree stump inbounds and broke my pelvis in many places.
    Very bad injury all the docs said in Steamboat and they sent me off to see the best surgeon in Denver, after surgery, was in Hospital for a week and then had a luxury truck take me back to Steamboat. TID booked me 4 seats on the domestic flight from Denver to LA, and then flew me and my GF Business back to Melbourne. When I got home completed my claim and they paid for every expense and even $50 for everyday I was in hospital and other daily expenses.

Only negative was dealing with Specialty Assist, the global insurance group for them I think. Seemed they were based in London which made it tough talking to the same person each time I called. There attitude seemed to be that you pay for everything (flights, drugs, transport $$$$) and they re imburse when you get home. I didn't want that and after a few heated conversations they sorted everything for me.

Overall I will be going with TID again. Reallly cheap and very good when dealing with claims once you get home.

For the $120 it cost me I think it was worth it the total claim was close to $150k

26. Jamesc

Jamesc Active Member

TID recently changed their policy and now ski cover is an optional extra.
    Had a little panic attack when i saw it but they assured me that my previously purchased policy that included ski related stuff was covered and it dosn't mention on piste or off piste anywhere.

27. sourmash

TID doesn't cover off piste. Below is email received and my query below...

Daulat

NOV 07, 2012 | 11:54AM EST

Hi XXXX,

Thanks for getting in touch.

There are certain conditions for skiing and snowboarding.

Our policy covers you if you have an accident while skiing and snowboarding, provided you’re not racing anyone down the slopes or competing professionally. This includes on piste only as well as terrain parks for snowboarding. On piste skiing is considered to be on marked, controlled trails and runs, whether or not groomed, which are within the boundaries of a ski resort or terrain park.

Off piste and heli-skiing are NOT COVERED as they are considered exposing yourself to a needless risk.

You must act responsibly for your safety and the safety of others, which includes following resort guidelines and instructions on the use of trails at all times and following all warnings issued by the resort or other authority.

Additional benefits (Sections 16-20 in the PDS) for skiiers and boarders includes –
    •Snow skiing piste closure – if the skiing facilities at the resort you pre-booked before your trip commenced is totally closed due to adverse snow conditions, a daily benefit is payable.
    •Snow skiing benefits – if you are injured on your trip and are unable to ski for more than 24 hours, this benefit covers your pre-paid passes, ski-hire equipment and ski school costs.
    •Snow skiing equipment replacement – allows you to hire alternative ski equipment if your own gear has been lost, stolen or damaged and we have agreed to the claim; and, this benefit allows you to hire alternative ski equipment if your own gear has been temporarily misdirected for more than 24 hours from the scheduled time of arrival at your ski destination.
    •Hired snow skiing equipment – this benefit covers your hired snow skiing equipment which is lost, stolen or accidentally damaged.
    •Bad weather and avalanche closure – this benefit allows for reasonable additional travel and accommodation expenses that you need to pay if your pre-booked outward or return journey is delayed for more than 12 hours due to an avalanche or bad weather.
    For the maximum benefit limits and sub-limits, conditions and exclusions on these sections, please refer to the policy benefits section, page 6 of the PDS, and details of what’s covered and what’s not, from page 14.
    Cover for your gear
    Your ski gear (skis/board, boots & bindings, clothing) is covered as standard on the policy up to $700 per item/set (see section 24 in the PDS). Your skis and poles are considered a set as are your boots and bindings.

You can specify any high value items up to $4000 per item for an additional premium.

While we do offer cover if you damage your ski gear while you are using it, we won’t cover broken or damaged equipment over 3 years old even if it is specified.

For more information on general luggage cover, please refer to our luggage and personal effects article.

There is no time limit as to how long you are allowed to participate in winter sports, nor do we charge additional premium for this cover.

You should refer to the full terms, conditions and exclusions to cover outlined in the policy wording to know what you are and are not covered for under a Travel Insurance Direct policy.

Kind regards,
    Daulat
    Customer Service Team
    Travel Insurance Direct
    Sydney

------------------------------------------------------

To help us improve, please rate my reply:
    http://www.nicereply.com/wng.tid-au/15190132/32670
    Steve

NOV 06, 2012 | 09:58AM EST
    Original message

Please confirm that above is covered by your policies?

There is no reference to off piste skiing exclusions in your PDS. I purchased cover based on this being the case (policy number below).

While researching for another trip, I notice you say it is NOT covered on your web page at http://www.travelinsurancedirect.com.au/what-we-dont-cover

"In fact we don't cover most high-adrenalin activities be they in the air (Winged suit base jump, Parachuting, Skydiving, Hang Gliding), on the snow (Bobsleighing, Snowrafting, Heli-skiing, Ski Acrobatics, Ski Joreing, Power Assisted Skiing, off-piste skiing and off-piste snowboarding activities), Mountaineering or anything involving ropes."

#177 sourmash, Oct 10, 2013
  28. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

So, it is worthless then.

"needless risk" ? Got to be safer than skiing crowded ski resorts with out of control idiots..

#178 Heinz, Oct 10, 2013
  29. sourmash

I'm with you Heinz. I cancelled my TID policy, got a refund and now book with Insure4less who are very clear on off-piste coverage.

#179 sourmash, Oct 10, 2013
  30. BilbyBill

Three weeks into a 6 week holiday in Sun Peaks this year +1 took a fall and seriously fractured her tibial plateau. We were insured with Travel Insurance Direct.
    She required surgery at kamloops and spent the rest of our holiday recovering from the surgery sufficiently to allow the trip home.
    TID's Emergency Assist, could not have been more helpful or easier to deal with. Arrangements they made for our trip home were very satisfactory. ie, Limousine from Sun Peaks to Kamloops Airport, 2 seats for her on the Dash 8 aircraft from Kamloops to Vancouver, Executive 1st class seats for both of us from Vancouver to Sydney, and 3 seats for her from Sydney to Melbourne.
    Most hospital bills were submitted directly to TID. Claims for other expenses such as wheel chair rental, taxi fares etc were reimbursed within 10 days of us submitting them.
    There were some problems with the payment of bills we received after our arrival home. Not all these problems were the fault of TID, but some were, but everything was sorted out in the end.
    Prior to taking out the insurance with them, we asked for their meaning of "On Piste and Off Piste" as they will only cover on piste. Basically On Piste is inside the resort boundary, Off Piste is outside the boundary. As we had no intention of skiing off piste that was ok for us.
    Would we use TID again? Yes we would.

31. absentskier

absentskier Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

TID is fine if you are not planning on skiing outside the resort boundary. So in other words, it is fine for the vast majority of people.

32. sunpeaker

sunpeaker Active Member

Has anyone had any claims experience with 1 Cover. I have just researched cover for my son & partner for US in Jan for 28 days.1 Cover is $266 & includes snow sports (in boundary). They are underwritten by Allianz so looks ok to me.
    TID doesnt cover snow sports as standard but offers it as an optional extra which takes their price to $375. Ouch & most of the others are quite a lot more costly.
    Would appreciate any feedback or advice on 1 Cover please

33. freddy

freddy Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I had a claim about 5 years ago with 1cover. broke my leg.

they were pretty good. paid all my bills and got me a flight home..

They never asked if i was off piste or anything..

in summary, they paid up...

34. skidiva

skidiva Well-Known Member

I use 1cover but thankfully have not had to claim yet. But I have had it confirmed in writing by them that you are covered off piste so long as you are within the ski area boundary.

35. mick chopps

mick chopps Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Mate looked at TID yesterday. Looks like they've changed their coverage since the letter on the previous page. Says they cover backcountry/heli/cat skiing provided it's with a guided tour. Seems the norm from my research.

36. Sno4WA

Sno4WA Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Has anyone used the Visa travel insurance that comes when you pay for your flights with Visa? we normally use 1Cover but not sure if we are covered for nothing with Visa?

37. gareth_oau

Season Pass Gold

insurance offered on credit cards won't cover any excess payable (typically circa $3k) for damage to a hire car, so recommend you don't use it planning to hire one.

38. Snorkler

My Credit Card Insurance will cover me up to $5000 with a $200 excess. I recommend that you read the PDS with your Credit Card Insurance.

#188 Snorkler, Oct 17, 2013
  39. craighelo

craighelo Active Member

I use the credit card insurance (Westpac) and got email confirmation of coverage off piste. Also could not believe for years FIFO Aus to NZ for work was paying the car hire excess insurance when my card covered it the whole time. Previously had the yearly Qantas policy

Never had to claim yet on either policy so can't comment on how well they handle claims, but been using it for about five years and in excess of 20 trips including South America, Japan and NZ.

40. oreo

oreo Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

FYI For backcountry skiing insurance:

Be careful with travel insurance that might indicate that coverage for off-piste/out of bounds activities are included, fine print usually indicates that a professional guide is required for coverage.

WorldWide: insure4less will offer explicit backcountry insurance - be careful to look at the avalanche forecast as if it is high - you may be out of luck (although you should rethink your need to go out on such days anyway):
    (note: WorldNomad will only cover Backcountry skiing if
    )

If your going to Canada, probably the best shot is to get insurance through the Canadian Alpine Club for visitors to Canada Insurance, this will cover any accident regardless in Canada and overseas if you meet the requirements (insurance starts upon entry in CA will cover third party countries if majority of time spent in canada)
    http://www.alpineclubofcanada.ca/activities/insurance.html

Supplemental Insurance if your unsure about your insurance coverage:
    Think about joining the Austrian Alpine Club of the UK which will give you complimentary worldwide rescue/medical. However, it's not 'travel insurance' per se. - ~$72AUD / year
    http://aacuk.org.uk

#190 oreo, Oct 17, 2013
  41. StuckinQld

StuckinQld Active Member

craighelo- hasn't the westpac insurance changed as of last year? We were fine with our trip to Japan last year because it had been booked prior to the new policy coming out. but a new policy has come out, and I don't believe that off piste is covered at all. We have also used it all the time, and haven't needed to claim.

42. craighelo

craighelo Active Member

SQ, I will have to check that. Was early this year when I emailed.

thanks,
    Craig

43. gareth_oau

Season Pass Gold

I suspect we are talking different things here?

my amex card offers free insurance if I buy the travel on the card, but cover is limited.

however amex will sell me travel insurance with car rental excess covered

#193 gareth_oau, Oct 19, 2013
  44. jakes47

jakes47 Active Member

My experience with 1 cover was appalling to say the least - when after an unexpected death in the family we could not make contact at all and were put on an endless cycle of recorded messages which kept going back to start. Even after using different numbers and speaking to real people we were transfered back to the cycle of recorded messages. We must have tried over 50 times (on international roaming) and the stress was unbelievable. We ended up just paying for every thing ourselves and vow to never go for the cheap option and certainly never 1 cover.
    If you are thinking of a company - do a test run in on the "claims" or "emergency" number to see if you get through first.

45. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer
    Social Media Mod Season Pass Gold

I got insurance through RAC. Multi-trip cover was cheaper than one off. Strange. Reasonably comprehensive, skiing included as an extra, but no off piste. Underwritten by http://www.travelinsurancepartners.com.au/

Normally a 10% discount for members (ie, everyone), but they had a spot special of 20% off for the week I booked. Bonus, as I'd already decided on them at the old price. With a bit of luck I won't have to find out how good their response is.

46. travelislife

travelislife Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Tried emailing 1trek to get a clear picture on off piste cover as I can't find it listed in their PDS but no response unfortunately.

47. travelislife

travelislife Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Also having a read of Insure4less it has a limit of $5000 on search and rescue, this doesn't seem much if a chopper gets involved. They are the first insurer I have come across who specifically ask the question on off piste skiing which is good, and the policy seems pretty good value at $113 on the top policy for 10 days.

Why is this so hard!

48. Ofmontreal

Ofmontreal Active Member

I bought AAMI travel insurance for cheap because of the backcountry isn't specificity excluded. My concern is the bad AAMI reviews and the 'aerial activity' clause because I do like the park and getting air whenever I can.

Currently considering cancelling AAMI within 14 days (in Japan already) and starting one up with World Nomads for the same price, which has good coverage for aerial but only guided backcountry.

The more I read about Niseko, the more it sounds like I shouldn't be considering going out of resort bounds without avalanche experience. The gates I might use, sound like they will get well tracked out and be relatively safe, so I may be better investing my money to get better in-bounds protection?

49. Olgreg

Olgreg Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

I emailed insure4less early this year. they cover OOB but not if you are with a guide. I found that odd, and talked to them. They assume that if you are with a guide you may do harder stuff that you would not normally do. I ended up with Ouch.com who covered all OOB.

50. Chondro

Chondro Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

jus tbooked with travel insurance direct.
    $213 for wife and i, 17 days, on piste and off piste as well as guided back country.