Ski Travel Insurance

Discussion in 'Passport' started by wat17, Jun 22, 2012.

1. tbnext

tbnext Dedicated Member

Another for ouch, one more thing to check is the length of a single stay in one country. I'm in the USA for 60 days or so, many policies especially annual and cc will not cover more than about 45 days in a single country. Apart from the snow sports I found there standard cover adequate for my camera and computer gear.

2. JA2340

JA2340 Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

HAve used TID for the past few trips to Japow. Not over-expensive.
    Most recent purchase was for 2 pax (one over 60, the other just under 60) with ski coverage for a 3 week trip, for $228.
    Their PDS is quite a lengthy .pdf file.but they cover piste closure and several other skiing specific inclusions.
    Anyone interested, I could pm the file (maybe?).

3. oreo

oreo Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Here is one for anyone who can offer some advice:

I broke my leg in March; had a follow up operation in August; Have been given the ok to ski in february from the doctor. I would like to have travel insurance that will cover me for the pre-existing injury (ie. broke the leg again or did the ACL etc). My justified fear is that I do an ACL injury (or something else) on that leg and they deny any cover whatsoever because it was broken in the last 12 months.

Any ideas?

4. Jamesc

Jamesc Active Member

call em and ask, you will either pay top $$ to be covered or not get any cover

5. Austin powers

Austin powers Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Southern cross travel insurance

Quick Quote
    Policy Type TravelCare: Single Trip
    Plan SuperWorld
    Start Date of Journey 01/01/2013
    End Date of Journey 31/01/2013
    Duration 31 days
    Number of People Insured 1
    Cover Type Individual
    Southern Cross Member? No
    Summary
    Base Premium $ 355.00
    Less 35% Internet Discount $ -124.25
    Total Premium* NZ$ 230.75

6. SnowTragic

SnowTragic Active Member

Do a quote, tick yes when it asks if you have a pre existing medical condition, and then you will either bump to an online questionnaire or have to fill out and fax back to get an approval. They either will cover the injury or they won't... won't know until you ask!

#56 SnowTragic, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
  7. skichic

skichic Addicted Member

From experience, they won't cover that leg for 2 years after injury.

In a similar situation myself and it's keeping me home for probably the next 2 summers.

#57 skichic, Dec 20, 2012
  8. nicholas65

nicholas65 Just Registered

Hi everyone, I'm new in this forum. If you can travel abroad, I think travel insurance is very essential for you. You can confirmed their policies before get insurance. be aware on your bank card may not protect car incident unwanted if you are looking to lease a car.

9. blutek

blutek Dedicated Member

Insure4less: offpiste & OOB including cat skiing (no heli) for two weeks on snow, + travel days, from $142 (& all definitions shown on their website).

10. smitty484

smitty484 Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Did you email them to get those guarantees?

11. sourmash

sourmash Well-Known Member

Insure for less is very specific re types of off piste cover. Two weeks in Japan $160 from memory for offpiste.

12. oreo

oreo Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Hey thanks for the heads up skichic, reading the policies appears that 12 months is usually the trigger for pre-existing medical conditions (or if your currently doing physio etc).

And to Snowtragic, yes, obviously I have done the quotes and ticked pre-existing medical conditions, it either automatically says not covered or in QBE's case they deliberated and then didn't cover it. I was asking if anyone knew of other more lenient insurers, but thanks for the suggestion.

#62 oreo, Dec 25, 2012
  13. Dave6

Dave6 Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Try 1Cover. A few years ago the wife got covered 11 months after knee recon surgery.

I was also advised Covermore may be more lenient with pre-existing conditions. Suresave may be another option - I think they have an on-line assessment.

For the future you also need to be aware that many policies exclude "any condition for which you have had surgery", without any time limits.

14. Silence

Silence Dedicated Member

Solid deal on insure4less incl OOB

15. oreo

oreo Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Hey thanks so much for that, covermore will cover it for an extra $180. Perfect.

#65 oreo, Dec 26, 2012
  16. Dave6

Dave6 Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

^ No worries.

17. Balthazar B

Balthazar B Just Registered

It's all gravy, man...

stay on the groomers, you look gooooood.

18. MikeM

MikeM Active Member

#68 MikeM, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  19. zhenjie

zhenjie Active Member

Any suggestions for insurance for a 120 day trip with snowboarding involved? Shame many insurance companies annual covers dont cover more then 90 days total outside Australia in one go [​IMG]

#69 zhenjie, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  20. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

#70 Born2ski, Jan 4, 2013
  21. zhenjie

zhenjie Active Member

thanks.

Looks like its between 1cover (Ski-Insurance), Quch/QBE as I need a good off-piste policy.

22. Orion

Orion Just Registered

Try ihi Bupa. They cover everything, except motorsport and ski mountaineering in Antarctica. My 3 month policy is around $440 from memory.

23. Can you just insure a portion of your travel such as only the time you will be on the snow (and not entire trip)?

I looked at 1 travel and ouch and both look pretty good.

For 1 month in Europe
    1 Travel $224 (and noticed an annual snow policy for $399)
    Ouch $207 (with snowsport inclusion)

24. Dave6

Dave6 Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

#74 Dave6, Jan 5, 2013
  25. Dave6

Dave6 Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Looks like insure4less will let you cover part of the trip for snow sports.

#75 Dave6, Jan 5, 2013
  26. That is good Dave. But was just thinking of getting insurance for the time on snow and not bothering with any insurance at all for the rest of the trip.

27. Dave6

Dave6 Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Is that a smart idea?

#77 Dave6, Jan 5, 2013
  28. Yeah well ... have always got insurance when OS. Never had to claim (probably like most) and am only really concerned about accidents on the mountain. I know anything can happen at anytime, but the rest of the trip will be "quiet" and staying at friend houses etc. Only taking my boots and no real valuables as such.

29. emkae

emkae Active Member
    Season Pass Gold

To help you decide if travel insurance is a good idea or not, have a look

Some interesting info:

In cases where the victims are not covered by travel insurance, such personal tragedies can be further compounded by a long-term financial burden. Hospitalisation, medical evacuations, or even the return of the deceased's remains to Australia, can be very expensive.
    Daily hospitalisation costs in Southeast Asia regularly exceed $800; return of remains from Europe in excess of $10,000. The cost of medical evacuations from the United States regularly range from $75,000 to $95,000 and sometimes up to $300,000. The Department has handled medical evacuations from Bali in which costs have exceeded $60,000.
    Unfortunately, not all of these cases involved travellers covered by travel insurance. Travellers who are not covered by insurance are personally liable for covering incurred medical and associated costs. As a result, families have been forced to sell off assets, including their superannuation or family homes, to afford to bring loved ones back to Australia for treatment.

Have a good trip ! [​IMG]

#79 emkae, Jan 5, 2013
  30. Snorkler

Snorkler Part of the Furniture

It's always when you don't have it that you end up needing it.

31. blutek

blutek Dedicated Member

I just put some dates (for Feb/Mar 2013) in Insure4less - premium was from $214 with snow cover included.

32. I do agree snork. but riddle me this. I have always had travel insurance. paid thousands for it. I did it because I believe it was a good thing. 20 years of no car insurance. and i know all of you will say grrrrrr. yeah maybe a true groan, but i have never caused an accident. i would pay you out if i had to. it might seem crazy to you but that is that. i might have saved 20-40k and i might hit a merc. but that is my choice. i might have to pay out, i might hsve to be evac out of austria. but that is my question. don't judge me on my choice, just answer my question.

#82 BourkeStreetMaul, Jan 6, 2013
  33. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

I suppose if you have a spare 40 or 50 grand just sitting in a bank acc ,then yeah maybe dont bother or the country you are visiting has a reciprocal arrangement with Australia.Personally I think you would have to be a fool to travel overseas without travel insurance,if something goes horribly wrong and say you are in a coma or seriously injured it is not you that has to pay but usually your family that has to come up with the money.

34. ladycamper

ladycamper Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I don't have a pot to pee in, and my family is wealthy. I carried no insurance on my trip to NZ. I kayaked the Waikato, hitchhiker extensively, and did Tongariro Crossing. It's my plan to carry no insurance on future trips OS.

35. BofSki

BofSki Dedicated Member

"Sorry old man, we don't understand your banter." <Python>

#85 BofSki, Jan 6, 2013
  36. LMB

LMB Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Oh ain't that the truth.

We stuffed up getting our travel insurance a few years ago - he thought I did, I thought he did...it was Christmas Day when we realised and were traveling that day. Tried to do it at the airport online but we had issues with the connectivity.

Perth Airport gave us grief getting into the Q Club because we had all 4 of our kids with us (only ever had grief at our home airport...never anywhere else) so the Internet connection was dodgy, so we decided to do it in Singapore. Stupid thing kept dropping out at the club in Sing, so PB said we will do it at the hotel in London because we really only need it in case of skiing accidents anyway (which was 2 weeks away).

Lo and behold none of our 6 bags came off the carousel.
    They were lost somewhere between Charles De Gaulle and Heathrow Terminal 5. Five days later all but one turned up (the lost one had all of the clothing for the two youngest, and most of the valuables - video cameras, suunto watch, DSLR etc)

Never needed insurance before or since, but it was a lesson learned!!!

I now have an annual ski travel insurance for us all, so we don't need to worry about getting insurance for each separate trip.

#86 LMB, Jan 6, 2013
  37. blutek

blutek Dedicated Member

It's always been free Platinum Credit Card insurance for us & was incredibly helpful when we missed our flight NRT-SYD (& our fault).

38. zhenjie

zhenjie Active Member

So my 4 month trip I've ended up going with Ouch, Around $600 with Snow cover and no excess. Slightly more then 1Cover/Ski-Insurance but also alot cheaper then insure4less and others. Coverage was also the best of the bunch with higher payouts.

39. millagorilla

millagorilla Active Member

yeah they have a pretty clear policy on off piste and backcountry which you can pay extra for... http://www.insure4less.com.au/page/Country_Skiing/
    looks good to me. so many others don't include BC or are really vague on it.

#89 millagorilla, Jan 8, 2013
  40. Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

I have claimed once on insurance in 15 years of having it. That claim was well over 12K. I am thankful. It was also great knowing we could add extra nights to hotels, change flights, buy extra items clothing ect....and not stress about who would foot the bill. We just did what we needed to do to get through it all.

41. Pachinko

Pachinko Active Member

A quick review on IHI Bupa's travel cover.

Having recently blown my knee in Canada I would not recommend going near IHI for any travel insurance. As is usually the case you don't find out the detail until things happen however I am not covered as ACL & MCL are not considered acute injuries by IHI Bupa.

It looks like now certain companies are beginning to make their own determinations on 'Acute injuries', giving the consumer another thing to be aware of/confused by when deciding on appropriate travel insurance.

In the end the coverage of off piste and back country skiing never came into calculation due to definition of acute injury.

42. Dave6

Dave6 Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Pachinko, that is terrible if they won't cover you for a blown knee. I would certainly be trying to take this claim further.

You could argue that it is an "injury" and not an "acute illness". They don't define what an injury is.

#92 Dave6, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
  43. dawooduck

dawooduck Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

This needs to be well know. Asshat insurance companies.

If you read the PDS the first thing that leaps out is

given you are only covered for the period of the insurance ... the whole lot reads like non insurance as far as "walking wounded" injuries go.

#93 dawooduck, Jan 28, 2013
  44. Snorkler

The definition of acute would surely mean 'not chronic' ACL is definitely not chronic.

#94 Snorkler, Jan 28, 2013
  45. Snorkler

Might as well write something on their FB wall.... possible deletion?

46. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

Thanks Pachinko, sorry that you have hurt your knee in order to find this out.

I have taken out supplementary IHI Bupa insurance to cover ski mountaineering of late - will reevaluate for my next trip.

Shame you have found this out the hard way [​IMG]

#96 CarveMan, Jan 28, 2013
  47. Snorkler

BUPA FB would like to know more about it Pachinko... do you have anymore info?

48. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

I've found a call to the Financial Services Ombudsman (or a threatened call) seems to sort things out in your favour pretty quickly - particularly where the wording is on your side (as in Pacinko's case)

http://www.fos.org.au/

#98 Budgiesmuggler, Jan 30, 2013
  49. Pachinko

Pachinko Active Member

Sorry about the delay, I've been dealing with medical appointments.

From what I can determine I think their call on the injury not being acute was potentially a tactic to delay response and payments until I returned back to Australia where I was told that I was no longer covered through their travel insurance and take me past 30 days from initiating my trip so I can not claim physiotherapy.
    Fortunately they eventually made travel arrangements for my return trip to Australia (11 days post injury VIA China) and are covering initial doctors consultation and x-ray however still will not cover MRI and Specialist or the Physiotherapy.

The following are excepts from email correspondence with the company.

"The surgery for ligament rupture is not considered as acute, and will therefore not be covered by the travel insurance." 17/01/2013

"In your case the MRI is for determination of possible surgery. Both MRI and any possible surgery are considered not to be acutely needed, since they ,from a medical point of view, could await your return to Australia."

Fortunately after forking out for the MRI and seeing a specialist my ACL is intact and the MCL will heal without surgery (2 months rehab).

50. Snorkler

Ah, I see what's going on there and can understand what they mean by acute. It's not acute as in the injury is an acute injury, but rather that the treatment of the injury is not such that you require immediate treatment while OS.