Ski Travel Insurance

Discussion in 'Passport' started by wat17, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Dave6

Dave6 Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Ouch might not even cover off piste within resort - depending on your definition of maintained.

It was good while it lasted, but need to find a new insurance policy.

[​IMG]

Born2ski likes this.
  2. Dave6

Dave6 Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

3. LMB

LMB Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

4. skidiva

skidiva Well-Known Member

I have insurance with 1cover who do cover off piste within resort boundary. Ouch does seem to have severe limitations that I was not aware of. The ski patrol thing can be a problem as there are runs in some of the resorts I ski where the off piste is within resort boundary but there are signs that it is not patrolled by ski patrol at end of day so that would be excluded by ouch. Ouch seem to be too limited.

5. Nozawaman

Nozawaman Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

I rang them and the definition is that as long as the heli lands and you get out then you are covered . They put a note on my policy stating that the heli will land then we will ski down then be picked up again . This is for my trip to Alaska

6. LMB

Season Pass Gold

LOL Hmmm ... So by land ... Does that include a skid in ridge drop off? Definition of 'land' worries me.

So they'd cover a hike to ride not in a resort then?
    With or without a guide?

I think I need to contact them.

It's a very new change.
    I used ouch for heli skiing in chile 3 weeks ago and had an email confirming we were covered for that.

7. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

That list above also says iTREK don't cover off piste but there's nothing in their actual policy details stating this. I've sent them an email asking for more detail.

8. Born2ski

Ouch have lost my business. When policies start excluding off piste and talking about covering "groomed" or "maintained" runs only, I'm out. What happens if they have fresh snow overnight and they don't groom all the runs, does that mean you're not covered when you ski that run ? Too many out clauses.

All I want is a simple policy that does not "exclude" skiing for injuries. I don't care about all the closed piste, ski rental extras, just cover me for injuries.

skidiva, Dave6 and LMB like this.
  9. Chillybin

Chillybin Active Member

Nobody skis on piste these days. They'll have to change their policies soon!

10. Born2ski

Email response from iTREK insurance. So even though their policy wording says nothing, they still exclude it.

Thank you for your email.

We cover skiing/snowboarding automatically on our policies provided it is on piste, on the groomed runs within resort boundaries.

I have also attached for your convenience a list of activities that we cover automatically.

Please refer to the PDS for general exclusions

11. Chillybin

Chillybin Active Member

I emailed fastcover last week regarding cat and heli skiing. The email I got back said that heli was covered providing it was "within the resort boundaries" I queried the girls knowledge who promptly replied that she had spoken with her supervisor and heli skiing was covered providing you're with a guide. We really are dealing with stupid people...... although I'm sure there are plenty here with there own personal helicopter and private ski resort to land in....

skidiva, LMB and travelislife like this.
  12. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

ROFL

LMB likes this.
  13. Chillybin

Chillybin Active Member

14. LMB

Season Pass Gold

Seriously stupid people.

skidiva likes this.
  15. Dave6

Dave6 Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

This is a painful exercise reading through PDS's. Plenty of options for heli and cat skiing. Not many choices that cover in-bounds off piste (without guide) and terrain park.

16. Chillybin

Chillybin Active Member

The greater majority cover "inbounds off piste" without a guide. The issue is we need off piste outside of "patrolled" areas.

LMB likes this.
  17. Dave6

Dave6 Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Maybe. I see this type of definition in a lot of policies which may indicate otherwise for skiing in unmarked in-bounds areas.

[​IMG]

18. Born2ski

You and me both.

The really annoying thing is even when you pay extra for their snow sports cover they often still have lots of exclusions. And then when you think you've found the right one, because it doesn't mention any exclusions in their PDS, when you cantact them they tell you about all these extra exclusions that are not written in their PDS. Driving me mad. :headbang:

Dave6, Chillybin and LMB like this.
  19. Chillybin

Chillybin Active Member

Whoever finds the answer please post :cheers:

Dave6 likes this.
  20. oreo

oreo Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

If it's not an exclusion in their PDS then it's covered; that is, in the absence of your express communications with them which may alter the terms of the agreement, the PDS forms the contract between you and the insurer. </not legal advice>

In answer to the people on the page before, yes, it is my understanding and experience that QBE will cover you with and without a guide as per the lack of distinction in their PDS.

Sorry for the delay in replying, I was out backcountry skiing without a guide.

21. Born2ski

Which basically means if you can't find the exclusion in their PDS, don't ask them for more details. Or if you really must, ask them over the phone without providing your name, stay anonymous.

Marty_McSly and Ozgirl like this.
  22. smackies

smackies Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

^ That's a bit silly.

Insurance policies are intentionally ambiguous.

Work on the basis that your insurer will look for a way to exclude your specific incident/injury. Both general and specific exclusions are worded ambiguously to assist that. Most of the questions on this thread relate to grey areas in PDSs. If you don't get clarity on things like "inbounds", "high risk" and m "off-piste" you're at real risk of getting a claim knocked back.

23. Born2ski

Silly ? You want to hear how "silly" travel insurance can be.

ITrek travel insurance have NO specific snow sports exclusions in their PDS. When I contacted them they said they only cover "on piste groomed runs within resort boundaries". In the same email they attached a list of activities they automatically include. On that list was -
    - Cat skiing
    - Heli skiing

Now I've only been skiing for 32 years so maybe I've missed the latest trend but can anyone tell me the last time they went "cat skiing" or "heli skiing" on an "on piste groomed run within resort boundaries" ? ......Anyone ?

24. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

yep, contract law requires a term/condition to be brought to your attention before the contract is executed

25. smackies

smackies Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Freelegal.com.au

26. Born2ski

OK I've decided to go with No Worries insurance.
    https://www.noworriesinsurance.com.au/travel-cover/ski-snowboard-–-travel-equipment-cover
    There's also 10% off premiums with this promo code - SNOSAFE

They specifically state they do cover "off piste" skiing on their website and there is no mention of "groomed runs" or "maintained runs" within their PDS. And I have checked this over the phone with them.

BUT, this policy will not suit everyone as they do specifically exclude heli skiing and alpine touring (randonee).

These are the winter sports they exclude as per their PDS -

ski- jumping / stunts / mountaineering / randonee, heli-skiing / boarding, ice hockey, speed skiing, cresta run or the use of bobsleighs or skeletons.

Dave6 likes this.
  27. main street

main street Sun Peaks Resident
    Season Pass Gold

At the end of the day, making sure of your insurance cover is essential.

The costs for my recent 9-10 day guided tour of the ICU at Kelowna General are well in excess of $100,000,...... Add a 190klm ambulance ride to that as well.

Fortunately I have the Canadian equivalent of Medicare (BC-MSP) & was fully covered.

Also be aware that most hospitals have vastly different rates for visitors,..... This can be triple in some cases & can mess with your "overall cost limits" per claim.

28. LMB

Season Pass Gold

Yep. Our Spaniard is going home on Wednesday morning, he has to see a neurologist and the cost to deal with this health issue here even with international student cover is nuts. :( Almost 3 years to the day he arrived.

29. Born2ski

I'm glad you brought this up MS.

As I'm getting older the problem I find with all travel insurance policies is how they exclude most pre-existing medical conditions. They'll cover you for $25million if you get hit by a bus, but nothing if a pre-existing medical condition decides to pop up while you're overseas.

So I went looking for options and found there are visitor medical insurance policies that will cover you for ALL pre-existing medical conditions as long as they have been stable for between 90-180 days before your trip.
    Just one of the sites I found - http://www.visitorsinsurance.ca/#/

These policies could be a good option for those of us that are no longer 20 year olds in perfect health.

Dave6, markopolo and LMB like this.
  30. skidiva

skidiva Well-Known Member

My fear of not being able to go skiing due to lack of insurance cover for any pre existing medical conditions is why I do not go for mammograms, and all the other sorts of tests that are recommended for some one who is 54. That is so that I can happily state no pre existing medical conditions. I know I will not get chemo or any other invasive treatment so there is no need for me to know if I have a problem. I do not fear death. So I choose to do what I want until I drop. At the moment I feel great so ignorance is bliss - for me.

craighelo and Chillybin like this.
  31. Chillybin

Chillybin Active Member

Yeah I subscribe to the " no news is good news" publication. It's funny you say that. The first thing I think of every time I get an ache or pain is i'm not going to the dr in case it's bad news and affects my skiing and insurance cover....... lucky my wife's a dr though...... but refuses to deal with me because I'm a big girl :oops:

skidiva likes this.
  32. SkiBeach

SkiBeach Active Member

For the last two trips to Japan I have emailed AAMI asking:
    Does your policy cover the following:
    - Off-piste skiing within resort boundaries
    - Sidecountry / Backcountry / out of bounds skiing both guided and unguided
    - Cat skiing with a tour operator​

And again today I emailed them asking the same questions and again they have responded:
    With regards to your enquiry we can confirm that there have been no policy changes since you have written us last time.
    We will cover you for any off-piste or back country skiing, whether within a resort or outside. Cat skiing with a tour operator is also covered.
    However we will not cover any form of competitive, professional, or heli-skiing.​

I've never had to claim for travel insurance, have had good dealings with their car insurance so AAMI gets my money again.

Hope this helps others with their travel insurance decision.

dr80, Ozgirl, TropicalPow and 3 others like this.
  33. Chillybin

Chillybin Active Member

I still cannot comprehend how an insurance company can let any clown and there dog into avalanche country without knowing if they have the skill/training or even the gear. I know 90% don't have any! Yet you cannot go heli skiing on their cover with a licensed operator who is avalanche trained........ why!!!!

Dave6 likes this.
  34. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

No one who travel overseas skis on piste!

skidiva and LMB like this.
  35. Budgiesmuggler

Season Pass Gold

From the sounds of th above providing the helicopter lands and you get out then ski, you're covered.

They probably have image of fluro spandex launching yourself from a helicopter onto the slope.

LMB likes this.
  36. LMB

Season Pass Gold

Clearly because they don't actually understand the risks in each scenario.

It's a maths equation LOL
    Heli + big mountains + Ski/board = you're all gonna die!

37. LMB

Season Pass Gold

Except they do!

38. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Yes, it is pretty baffling. They still clearly struggle with the concept of how heli-skiing works. I've made similar queries in the past and the response has been basically as above - as long as it is landing. I think they may be concerned you may be jumping out of the machine James Bond style. It is probably more that than the skiing aspect itself which is always guided and with the appropriate gear so much better prepared than any unguided backcountry.

Yeah defining landing is not quite clear. As above I would assume the insurers would say that it has at least one skid on the snow and you are stepping out, rather than jumping out. Heli operators probably have a more precise definition as thy count the flying time of the machine which is the time the pilot has the power on. Normally when they land properly they will take the power off. On odd occasions though if the landing zone quite uneven or there is shifting wind they will keep the power on while you get out. I've had a few where there is a bit of a drop and you have to step onto the skid or hop down half a meter.

39. LMB

Season Pass Gold

Same.
    And live pick ups too.

Some of those sketchier drop offs are high risk for the heli. If you jump rather than ease out....well big weight shifts arent great in that situation. I reckon if they knew ANYTHING about heli's they'd exclude ridge drops if they're mitigating the high risk aspects - on the snow or not.

40. Chillybin

Chillybin Active Member

Even worse when you jump and your abs was deactivated as per flight policy....

41. Dave6

Dave6 Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Great to know. Thanks.

AAMI also seems to be a bit less restrictive in their definition of pre-existing medical conditions. If I am reading the PDS correctly, medical conditions not requiring treatment 90 days before the policy date are not considered pre-existing (unless chronic). I had an arthroscope on my knee earlier in the year so this is just another issue to consider when selecting a policy.

LMB likes this.
  42. Budgiesmuggler

Season Pass Gold

That was my point

43. Beerman

Beerman Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Give up skiing/boarding ??................:out:

AAMI worked for our Jan 2016 Japan trip, and probably will do again.

44. Chillybin

Chillybin Active Member

Yeah it's just easier to find a new hobby..... I'm going with Fastcover. They cover my heli and cat skiing plus off piste within the resort boundaries. Be sufficient this time. Will need an option next time I'm back in Japan to cover backcountry as I'm nowhere near a resort.....

45. Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

Has there been any new develops on the rental car insurance front.

46. Beerman

Beerman Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

I checked this link out, and their Comprehensive and mid level Insurance recommendations (Fast Cover and Columbus) does not cover off piste!!!!!!!!!

We went with AAMI for Jan this year and it does/did cover off piste. Their PDS was not thorough, but enough detail to confirm off piste was included. Things may have changed in the 10 months since though.

LMB likes this.
  47. LMB

Season Pass Gold

I also went with AAMI in Feb/March but the heli in Chile was another matter.
    I think we resolved they STILL cover off piste but are not very good at spelling it out.

48. Olgreg

Olgreg Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

I just confirmed with AAMI that they cover skiing and boarding except if it is professional, competitive or to earn an income. The response went on about replacement of equipment, so I have replied to clarify about off piste, OOB, etc. Will post when I get it.

Ozgirl and LMB like this.
  49. Amelia1810

Amelia1810 Active Member

Anyone had experience with getting travel insurance for someone with a pace maker? Or how to go about this?

50. Nozawaman

Nozawaman Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

I cancelled my Alaska policy because AAMI couldn't /wouldn't give me written confirmation of my coverage for heli skiing , the best they could do was put a note on my file saying that it is .
    Went with Fastcover which states heliskiing is covered , and was also cheaper !!!!!