Ski Specific Travel Insurance

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by LMB, Aug 1, 2016.

1. LMB

LMB Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Yes. I know we've had threads before. But current info is always good where insurance goes.

After reading through insurance threads here I was convinced AAMI would be the way to go.

I needed travel cover plus heliski cover.

The quote from AAMI was cheap! Under $150. But I wanted to be sure to be sure to be sure, so I emailed them specifically asking about heliski - yep no problem, as long as it's not in competition, for profit or professional. (LOL I think we are in the clear there - no one is gonna pay to watch my 'gnarly' lines! :p )

At the same time I investigated iCover ski specific cover and ski insurance . com, who appear to be the same thing....
    They will cover us for $320 odd dollars PLUS an undisclosed amount per day for heliski days plus an additional $500 excess on the heli days! WTF?! I'm waiting to hear back how much the extra daily premium is but already they are so far out of the AAMI ballpark it's ridonkulous. :confused:

Bloke likes this.
  2. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

A big excess (within your financial comfort range) is not a bad thing. It squeezes out a lot of other people's small but (for the insurer) administratively expensive claims. This should be reflected in reduced premiums.

There is also a theory in insurance circles that you get what you pay for. Low premiums mean that the profit is squeezed out in other ways. Often by being dicks about claims.

This is very general. I haven't made a claim on a travel policy for yonks.

currawong likes this.
  3. snowduck

snowduck Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Ski Insurance. Beware of any asterisks in the insurance policy conditions.

Also give attention to the fine print

JoeKing likes this.
  4. Nozawaman

Nozawaman Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

I am heading back to Alaska to heli ski and use Ouch , which is underwritten by QBE .

Kletterer, Chondro and grantn like this.
  5. LMB

Season Pass Gold

I'll get a quote from Ouch too, thanks Nozawaman.

6. dawooduck

dawooduck Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

I found anything that said "ski specific" generally covered less and cost more.

Born2ski and LMB like this.
  7. LMB

Season Pass Gold

There's definitely truth in the 'get what you pay for' which is why I also wanted quotes from ski specific insurers. While we haven't had to claim yet, and hope not to claim this time, we don't want to find out we are stuffed right when we need them!

However I don't want to get screwed over just for the sake of 'Heli' (oh they can afford to empty the wallet...).

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Dedicated Member

Also check if there's a limit on the time spent skiing.

LMB likes this.
  9. skidiva

skidiva Well-Known Member

Make sure you do read the terms and conditions - have seen many people talk (brag) about how little they pay for insurance compared to me and then when something goes wrong they realise they should have read the t&c as they have run into problems.

LMB likes this.
  10. LMB

Season Pass Gold

Far out - just got the quote through from 1Cover + heliski (and I specified 6 days) - it's just shy of $600!! (With a $500 excess).

It'd have to be offering a lot better cover for me to pay $450 extra. :eek:

11. skinavy

skinavy Dedicated Member

I used No Worries for the trip to Europe this year which was 6 weeks skiing everyday. Premium was $172.00 which covered skiing, including non professional racing. Not sure if cover heli skiing/boarding. That being said they were setup to specifically offer ski insurance.

12. dawooduck

dawooduck Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Check BUPA, QBE etc for general ski inclusive insurance and call the heli people and see if they offer insurance for the day.

Also check beyond the Australian market

LMB likes this.
  13. luvthabumps

luvthabumps Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

as per the previous insurance thread and @Nozawaman 's recommendation in that one, I used Ouch also for PNH in AK. Underwritten by QBE IIRC, good price and inclusions were more than adequate. Would use again.

grantn and LMB like this.
  14. rocketboy

rocketboy Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I use 1cover for domestic with snow add on. Great value with kids free on the policy. I pay only 230 a year for 1 adult and 2 kids. I realise it's mostly useless if equipment is not locked etc - but it comes with a massive PL coverage of 5 mil. and a chopper out. and some other stuff. And it's Aust wide all year. Kids are only covered if you are on holidays together. Overall it's basic peace of mind for the PL and serious recovery out to cooma or canberra if needed. And some theft coverage if car is broken into. From there it gets complicated for international coverage etc.

15. LMB

Season Pass Gold

Yeah.. I'm looking for 12 days Perth-Sydney-Santiago (return) of which 6 days are Heli. They want almost $600 for cover. Obviously if it's substantially better than the other cover, I'll look at it, but not if they are just having a lend.

16. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Do you know which insurer was backing them?

17. luvthabumps

luvthabumps Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

as has been said previously, be very careful of the detail in heli policies - some are not what they seem.

skidiva likes this.
  18. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Dedicated Member

Is that just for the duration of the trip or are you getting an annual policy?

Does it also include car hire excess as well?

19. grantn

grantn Active Member
    Season Pass Gold

I used Ouch last year, which is underwritten by QBE. Their snow sports cover seems to cover just about everything. I made 2 claims, one of them was huge ($10,000 USD for hospitalisation in Japan), and they paid both. As a result I will keep using them...........

LMB likes this.
  20. skinavy

skinavy Dedicated Member

Lloyds I think.

Annabuzzy and LMB like this.
  21. LMB

Season Pass Gold

That's JUST for that trip. Not sure about car hire excess but we won't be hiring a car anyway.
    That's great feedback. Knowing a company pays out on a claim carries way more weight that pricing.
    Yeah, just looked them up. It is.

22. Chondro

Chondro Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Yep we went with ouch who is QBE.

Covers everything ski related basically. Heli & backcountry including evacuations.
    They are changing their policy soon tho, so we got in before they changed

grantn likes this.
  23. smackies

smackies Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

I've had Allianz pay out on claim. Fairly smooth process. Mind you, I had 2 types of cover and put the claim through Allianz as I was within the resort. I'm not sure their off-piste/bc cover is any good.

I now have an annual policy with IHI Bupa. You can have multiple trips per year of up to one month but it's easy to extend cover for longer trips. They were the only one I found (and trust me, I read every policy I could find) that covered off-piste & bc & my pre-stuffed knee. They don't do search and rescue but will rescue you if you know where you are. :confused:

Just looked and there is no heli exclusion. It's worth emailing them to confirm.

I also have AAK(UK) cover for search and rescue.

If you end up in obscure places, have a look at Global Rescue.

LMB likes this.
  24. silva

silva Active Member

My big problem is pre existing conditions. I have used AAMI in the past as their ski inclusions are good but when I spoke to them for this trip they will not cover pre-existing conditions - Hubby broke 5 ribs in March and Mr 7 broke his collar bone in May - even though both are fully healed and no further medical attention required if they by chance broke those bones again they would not be covered for any costs! I have looked at several policies which have agreed to cover them after disclosure but they will not cover other things we want - one policy excludes "snow fun parks" so even if you are just riding through the park on the side of the run and get hurt you are not covered and others exclude anything not on piste unless you are with a guide. Anyone found a policy with decent snow cover AND the ability to cover pre-existing conditions?

25. neck_deep

neck_deep Active Member

used them as well for the last couple of trips and have booked through them again for most of 2017. Dam good price (around $1000 for 5 months) , they cover search and rescue and as mentioned backed by QBE. Yet to have to claim with them yet (tough wood i never do)

26. LMB

Season Pass Gold

Ouch.
    FOR THE WIN!

Not quite as cheap as AAMI but much more specific about including heliski.

Chondro likes this.
  27. smackies

smackies Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Yes. As above, ihi BUPA.

28. Chondro

Chondro Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I'm interested, everyone always takes travel insurance out when they travel abroad, How many people take insurance out when they go up to the snow for a week or two in Australia ?

29. smackies

smackies Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Emergency services + public health care + private health insurance + income protection insurance + life insurance + 1 good kidney to sell if the bills get out of control.

Think I'm good.

dawooduck and LMB like this.
  30. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Medical costs - not an issue
    Evacuation - Unlikely to be a major issue
    S&R - Generally free
    Biggest issue is likely to be lost pre-paid accommodation.

31. LMB

Season Pass Gold

Same, except I can't sell a kidney because one has extra piping, so they won't even take the normal one. Might have to resort to a more time honoured money earner LOL

The costs of medical care, getting home - especially if it's a medivac, lost luggage, collapse of airline...
    No one wants to be stuck and hurt in a foreign country. But at home you've got numerous fallback options. Travel Insurance would give not much extra.

I DID have the 12 months ski-insurance from ski insurance . com for a few years, that gave me cover locally but I had actually bought it for the International trips.

32. smackies

smackies Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Ahem. If you mean the world's oldest profession then a ski town is probably the right location choice. Maybe pre-gimpy though.

LMB likes this.
  33. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

In Australia I already have Medicare, private health insurance, ambulance cover and car insurance. Those are the things I really want covered on an overseas trip hence why I take out insurance when travelling overseas.

34. azzski

azzski Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

How much sake did the other kidney buy?

35. silva

silva Active Member

For those taking out policies with Ouch
    I just got off the phone with QBE about the ouch policy. Any medical condition which has been treated in the last 12 months (whether chronic or not) is pre-existing and you have to get it approved to be covered. ie: my son broke his collar bone in May, it is all healed and does not need any further follow up. If he broke that collar bone while in Japan in January he would not be covered for any costs for the the injury unless we get it pre-approved.

Off to check the IHI Bupa policy out now.

36. silva

silva Active Member

Wow, IHI Bupa is expensive - $625 US for 2A1C in Japan for 20 days.
    So far I have looked at about 6 other companies and the next most expensive is Ouch at $325A.

37. smackies

smackies Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Get the annual policy with IHI Bupa.

38. smackies

smackies Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Sad offering on my offal.

39. fro5t1

fro5t1 Active Member

thumbs up for ihi Bupa. provided them with a medical from my doctor for my non-existent ACL & OA preexisting, normally around $600 for 2 of us to Canada for 2-3 weeks. full medical cover including repatriation to Australia.

covered heli, off piste, backcountry, but no ropes. you may want to read the PDS as it is not what they say they cover (i.e. heli, off piste, b/c, ski-mo, racing).

it is the definition of these things that is used by the insurer & the underwriter that makes all the difference.

e.g. for Canada 2 years ago one of the specific 'ski insurances' defined (and declined to cover) off piste as anywhere not a marked run, a marked run that was not groomed that day, was either in/outside the resort boundary, regardless of with/without an instructor or guide. it was as cheap as chips for a reason.

i'm not saying that it will be the same for all the specific 'ski' insurers but it did my head in reading the fine print as all the policies i looked at were piecemeal and the Bupa one covered the most for what i wanted to do.

be aware that the only policies I have found that cover rescue/recovery costs are through many national alpine climbing associations such a the Alpine Association of Canada.

as always with any insurance product, read the PDS and decide if it is appropriate for you (caveat emptor).

40. LMB

Season Pass Gold

Checked with them.
    Do NOT cover Heli ski or board.

41. fro5t1

fro5t1 Active Member

not enough from my experience and i see heaps of people thinking their ambulance cover or private health insurance will get them back to an interstate address. (i'm a paramedic that does lots of transfers from one of the victorian hills). and heaps caught by private health insurers different approaches to ambulance cover. some will cover all transports, some will only cover emergency transports (scene to first facility) but not the next transfer (normally deemed non urgent) so heaps of patients get a nasty surprise when their insurer will cover the trip across the carpark to the medical centre then get a bill for the 105km transfer to a regional facility for further imaging. and some will only cover a limited number of emergency/urgent transports. and they are then stuck in regional Victoria. i have always told anybody who visits me from interstate to ante up the cash because as a generalisation you really only need one claim to get your money back.

Chondro likes this.
  42. nfip

nfip Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Could not fault AAMI when I blew out my acl in Japow few years back.
    They had people ringing me evry night asking am I ok getting around etc etc.
    They paid knee brace , physio , MRI etc at Kutchan , private charter to Sapporo and upgrade to biz class.
    Yes I sent pix to the boys from club lounges on the way home LOL
    10/10

edit - I used these guys when I went to Kashmir ( Bills Trips , do it if you can !!!!) .
    They covered heli also.
    https://www.ihi.com/

#42 nfip, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  43. silva

silva Active Member

Ouch for the win:
    I have gained further clarification from QBE insurance.
    They do NOT cover issues with fractures which have occurred in the 12 months prior to travel so if you aggrevate a injury you have had treatment for in the last 12 months you are not covered.
    However, if you have a accident and happen to break the bone which you injured before it is considered a new injury as long as it can not be directly attributed to your previous injury and you are covered.
    The fine print is a mine field.

44. geekman

geekman Just Registered

Got the same treatment from No Worries when my partner did the same in Niseko. I got upgraded too :D

nfip likes this.
  45. silva

silva Active Member

Ok, I think I have now spent more time investigating travel insurance than flights and accommodation.
    My final calls were to AAMI. They have confirmed that if I take out the policy more that 90 days after the last medical treatment for a broken bone then it is not considered a pre-existing medical condition and is fully covered. Their cover for ski injuries seems comprehensive as stated by Lady Mamabear and they are a little bit cheaper than Ouch.
    So the end result is - I will wait a couple of weeks to fully clear the 90 day period and take out cover with AAMI.

46. Ralph_implement

Ralph_implement Addicted Member

I use a broker, I give him all my requirements and he gives me a quote. It's not cheap (around $1000 for a family of 6 for 4 weeks including Heliskiing), but I have claimed once and it was properly painless.

I figure if the broker gets me the wrong policy I can recover costs from him. No idea if that logic is sound, but it has me convinced!!

LMB likes this.
  47. LMB

Season Pass Gold

Ain't that the truth!! LOL

48. Dippo

Dippo Active Member

Its interesting doing a quote with AAMI for my family of 3. My daughter turned 18 in June, but I would have to take out 2 policies with them to get coverage, the quote system only allows for 2 people between 18 and 65. Where as Ouch allows accompanying children aged 0 to 20 years. So AAMI is more expensive then Ouch. Ouch for the win so far!

LMB likes this.
  49. LMB

Season Pass Gold

Interesting difference that many of us wouldn't pick up given the specific age combo.

Dippo likes this.
  50. Chondro

Chondro Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Just be wary that Ouch is changing their snow insurance soon - No idea when they wouldnt give me a time frame, but if you get in before the change they honour the contract that is in use when you signed up