Shiga Kogen Thread

Discussion in 'Japan' started by ausbob, Jan 18, 2014.

1. BobGnarly

BobGnarly Dedicated Member

Go to Yokoteyama

2. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

I was at Shiga Kogen last weekend, and the conditions were very similar to conditions in Australia.

3. Sandy

The problem with Yokoteyama, without fresh snow, and for people who like groomers, it's quite boring.

There's more snow there, higher and colder, but the pick of the bunch last weekend was around Yakebitaiyama & Okushigakogen.

JoeKing likes this.
  4. Melskius

Melskius Active Member

We are staying at price west. So will stay at yakebitaiyama more than likely as we will have 6yr old and maybe 2yr old with us.

5. BobGnarly

I love the groomers there, nice and long, you can get some serious speed up.

6. Sandy

Indeed you can!!!!! :D

7. Melskius

Melskius Active Member

We have skiied the day at Yakebitaiyama and the kids have loved it. We bought a very expensive edgy wedgie type thing and rigged up the 2 yr old between his fathers legs. The 6yr old got her ski legs back after missing last year. We put the 2yr old in a backpack and hubby earned his beers skiing with him. The girl went awesome as was skiing it all at a good pace by afternoon. The snow was heavy and a bit crunchy in places. The afternoon saw many lumps, hopefully nicely groomed in rhe morning.

PatMcrotch likes this.
  8. PatMcrotch

PatMcrotch Just Registered

Bad news regarding Okushiga-Kogen. I contacted the Hotel there and they are closed for some days in April so we can't stay there.

Not sure what to do now. We have 5 days set aside including travel time from Osaka (April 13-18) to try snowboarding for the first time, but it looks like snow conditions everywhere on Honshu are bad.

Maybe we should go to Hokkaido?
    We waste so much time getting there though.:(

Any ideas?

9. Sandy

If you travel from Osaka -> Nagano it takes about 4 hours +, then another hour by bus (+ connection time) to Shiga Kogen. (all up about 6 hours)

Catch a flight direct from Osaka -> Chitose Airport (near Sapporo), then bus to Niseko. Travel time about the same.

PatMcrotch likes this.
  10. PatMcrotch

Thanks Sandy.

You are right. I think we will try Kiroro.

I was trying to keep us close to the Apline Route but last night I realized that can be done as a day trip out of Tokyo with a very early start. So will tack that on the end of the trip. Problem solved :thumbs:

11. hotsaki

hotsaki Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Where would you stay at Kiroro?

12. PatMcrotch

I think we are best off staying at one of the two resorts there since we are first timers. That way we can hire gear and get lessons at the resort.

I looked at the prices, I thought they would be much higher. $140 Aussie for a twin room.

13. BobGnarly

Im off to shiga tomorrow. I went to nozawa today and it was awful.

14. Sandy

When was the last time you went there?

15. BobGnarly

Early march. Been away for a few weeks

16. Sandy

Oh dear!!!!!!!
    Be prepared to be shocked!! I was last there in the 21st

17. BobGnarly

I'll be shocked alright, if there's any snow lol

18. ponyrider

ponyrider Active Member

Thinking about Shiga next year with my 16 & 14 y.o. Regarding Ski School prices, anyone know if the Y12,000 full-day adult includes a lift ticket?

19. Melskius

Melskius Active Member

A belated thanks to those who answered my many questions. We had a great time in Shiga Kogan late March. The coupons posted worked fine and saved us a bit. Staying a prince hotel was convenient as we only had two days and two kids we stayed on the slopes there. Loved the restaurant under the south building gondola. The kids were great. 6yr old skied everything we did, 2yr old did 2 top to bottom assisted runs, before enjoying the rest of our ski time from the backpack. We also did manage to visit the snow monkey park on our way up the mountain - luggage forwarded our bags so only had minimal carry on with us.

hotsaki, Kimski, dr80 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Beerman

Beerman Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Pretty sure lifts are extra.
    Most accomodation providers sell ticket vouchers at quite a discount, and make multiday ticket sales not worth buying form the normal ticket booth. However you still have to go to the booth to get the actual ticket, regardless of where you get your voucher.
    From memory, a single day ticket normally sells for Y5000, voucher price was Y4200.

21. Julio

Julio Active Member

Hey folks,

Just wanted to see if anyone is familiar with a hotel/pension that is a few doors down the road from Chalet Shiga which I think is/was called Tamamine?? It is currently listed on 981.jp (foreclosure listing site) with a minimum bid of 704,000JPY (2nd sealed bid period ends 10/6).

[​IMG]

Link to listing > http://981.jp/e497998.html

Looking at some of the pics the exterior it is a bit rough around the edges but seems to be in close proximity to lifts and short walk from ichinose village area ?

Another query i had was the listing mentions 'others' next to land right (as opposed to ownership in other listings) so I am assuming it is within the resort area/owned by Prince resorts and there is no freehold ownership per say ? Does this mean you pay an ongoing fee to 'lease' the land from the resort ?

There is a 46 page court doc (in japanese) available to download from the site but you will need to create a username/password first… I have uploaded it to here if anyone wants to take a look https://spaces.hightail.com/receive/GHofm (link expires 13/6)

I'm not really interested in running a hotel in Japan, prefer to find a house near a resort but this location looks pretty damn good for the price ? Might be a bigger headache than its worth ?

Any input would be appreciated…. I haven't been to Shiga but like the look of the area / various hill options in close proximity to each other. Is there much going on in the area during summer?

22. BobGnarly

Biiiiiiiiiiiiiig headache!

23. Julio

Julio Active Member

Haha I thought you might chime in Bob… Are you based in Nagano nowadays or to and from?

24. BobGnarly

Going on 2 years living in Japan now mate

25. Nozawaman

Nozawaman Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

SUPER Biiiiiiiiiiiiiig headache !

26. BobGnarly

Ive got a feeling thats where the ski school peeps were staying this past season

27. Julio

Julio Active Member

Hmmm…. that sounds like a positive to me ? Young J-girls and existing rental income…
    Care to elaborate why you think it would be a headache ?

28. dr80

dr80 Well-Known Member
    Season Pass Gold

Power bills?
    Maintenance costs?
    Snow clearing?
    Communication?

Ask Bob if he'd like to manage it for you ;-)

29. BobGnarly

Cause its massive, and you have to lease the land, the walls are probably covered in mildew and it would cost san man mainichi to run the boiler.
    Then you leave a window open and 37 monkeys redecorate your interior in the theme of the brown note.
    Oh and theres mowing the jungle in summer, clearing the front in winter and sfa parking by the looks of it. What is it, about 100k Aussie dorrars atm.
    Find a nice small house for 30 or 40k, drop 20k in ikea and be done with it.

30. Julio

Julio Active Member

Cheers for the input Bob, my logic was to keep the existing debtor / owner in place to run it (incl. covering all outgoings) and I take a decent sized space for myself/family/friends. A lot easier said than done obviously, but for 10k it caught my eye mainly due to the location.

31. M_G

M_G Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

What Bob, dr80 and NM said. By the look of photos the last owner/manager has bailed I'd say.

Is/was the Tamimine which is next to Sunroute Shiga - which is also closed. Running/staffing costs would be huge and just try keeping all those rooms full all year round.

The only way it might work is if you have super deep pockets, do a nice upgrade and cut running costs to the bone. But even then...

Also you only have 4 days left to sort the bid. Good luck getting that done in 4 days!

tdc likes this.
  32. Joliver

Joliver Active Member
    Season Pass Gold

So after booking flight tix to Japan a couple of days ago, the fun of where to go begins. Shiga is definately on the radar. Any tips/ suggestions/ pros/cons on where in Shiga would be gratefully accepted, including accomm suggestions. How about Ichinose? I also like the idea of Shibu Onsen but this seems more of a side trip? We are a family of 4, dont need English support, do need to rent some gear with 1 mad snowboarder & 3 intermediates. TIA!

33. Stiffler

Stiffler Active Member

Stayed at chalet shiga in ichinose found it to be very good central place with a great bar downstairs that gives you a good food alternative shiga is very quiet at night and limited places to eat, though we didn't find this a bad thing just be aware. Shibu onsen is great for a visit on a non ski day, I personally wouldn't stay there if I was wanting to ski shiga daily you would be stuck to buses. Shiga is great if your main focus is on the skiing and not the party thing. That's why we liked it. No bogan issues to deal with (yet).

Joliver and JA2340 like this.
  34. Caesar

Caesar Active Member

We stayed at Hotel Okushigakogen. Unlike most hotels they have a cheap restaurant option in the Sports Bar (we ate most nights for less than 2500 yen per person). Hotel was pretty dated, but very well maintained and the staff were amazing. They are also one of the few hotels in the area who focus on having an English speaker at the desk at all times.

The disadvantage is that Okushiga Kogen is right up the far end of the ski area. We saw this as a plus - it was least trafficked and had the best terrain for advanced skiers. But if you want a range of dining options, other families around, and a central location then it's hard to go past Ichinose.

I have skied a bunch of places in Japan, and I find it hard to go past Shiga Kogen for a pure skiing experience. Not as much powder as Hokkaido obviously, but miles better terrain and the elevation makes it a good bet for solid conditions.

Make no mistake though, you go there to ski. There is absolutely nothing else to do.

Kimski, Tonester and Joliver like this.
  35. TJ

TJ Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I stayed at Okushigakogen last season for a couple of nights too. Can definitely recommend it. As caesar said a litlle dated however they are doing a massive redevelopment there over the next few years. Million dollar apartments. Where ever you stay make sure the food is good. Great bar at this place.

Joliver likes this.
  36. Joliver

Joliver Active Member
    Season Pass Gold

Many thanks for your helpful replies - travelling as a family we dont need nighlife per se just a convenience store that sells snacks for the kids and sake for us will be fine (yep massive social life right there lol). A couple of more questions - is there a convenience store in Ichinose area? Has anyone stayed at Hotel Chu - thoughts? An onsen is a 'must have'. Will my 15yo snowboarder (advanced) have enough to keep himself occupied in the Shiga area and/ or is there someone or a company you can recommend as a day guide for him? He'll get bored cruising the groomers with his ma and pa. and finally, is Ryuoo Park easy to get to & worth a visit? Tia :)

37. M_G

M_G Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Worth a visit, yes! Easy to get to? Not without a car. :(

Why not tack on one or two nights at the end?

#937 M_G, Jul 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  38. Crispy013

Crispy013 Dedicated Member

Just make sure the runs underneath the ropeway are open. Otherwise it's a pretty limiting resort.

39. dr80

dr80 Well-Known Member
    Season Pass Gold

Yes

Yes. I like it.
    Ski in/ ski out. Good location. Bus stop very close by. Free parking out the front. Buffet breakfast - not gourmet, but not bad, Serve yourself - & load up.
    Good manager. Nice fire in lobby with free PC's/internet.
    Not 5 star deluxe, but comfortable ( if a little dated).

Has a typical public bath for this type of accommodation (chu-hotel.co.jp/english/english03.htm).

'Shiga area' is HUGE. I doubt your son will be bored. I would have been in heaven if my folks took me to Shiga for a week or 2 when I was 15. Don't need a guide , all the areas link up. Would be difficult to get ' lost'. He'll figure it out.

Ryuoo is easy if enough to get to with a car, but I wouldn't bother. Just get the free bus to Yoketeyama, Shibutoge for the day when it's bluebird - stunning scenery and views. Have lunch up top at the bakery, or at the bottom of Shibutoge.

40. Caesar

Caesar Active Member

If by onsen you mean hot springs, there are only a couple of villages in Shiga Kogen that have them and they tend to not be near the best ski areas.

If you just mean a public bath then most of the bigger hotels will have one.

41. hotsaki

hotsaki Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Hey people that stayed at Okushiga Kogen Hotel.Did you book direct with the hotel or did you book via Booking.com etc.
    Have tried to book but no go.I guess its too early??

42. Caesar

Caesar Active Member

I went via Booking.com. Did it around this time of year and got a much better rate than was on the hotel website.

43. emma83

emma83 Just Registered

I've just had quote from the hotel and it was cheaper direct via email as he included ski passes in the deal. I am just now trying to decide if its the best place to go!

44. hotsaki

hotsaki Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Thanks for that.We have stayed at Villa Ichinose and Chalet Shiga before and they are pretty good but this place looks pretty good too.I will try and get a quote from the hotel website.

45. argento

argento Active Member

how does shiga's terrain/piste suit a beginner/low intermediate skier?

46. Froff Life

Froff Life Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

JA2340 likes this.
  47. Beerman

Beerman Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Yep can confirm Shiga is a dream for intermediates, was there January this year. Beginners should find plenty to be happy about as well, although restrictions apply as per all other ski resorts

48. hotsaki

hotsaki Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

Is +1 now coming?

49. argento

argento Active Member

very unlikely although I tried;)

50. Sossa

Sossa Active Member

Hey guys, are the school groups likely to be around 14 - 18 of Jan in Shiga Kogen. If so do they stay at a lot of different hotels? We are planning on staying in the Ichinose area and would prefer not be at the same hotel as a school group.
    Thanks