Shiga Kogen Thread

Discussion in 'Japan' started by ausbob, Jan 18, 2014.

1. ausbob

ausbob Active Member

I am looking at organising a trip to (possibly) Shiga Kogen based on advice from Sandy. I then noticed that there is no thread on the place so I thought I would start a thread to see what info I can get from people out there, if any?. Not really looking for any specific info just peoples experience of the place.

2. PMG

PMG Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

3. benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Shiga is great for skiing. But lets get one thing straight, that's entirely it. You don't go for the food, for the night-life, for the lovely village - simply because there isn't any.

But yeh the skiings pretty rad.

4. ausbob

ausbob Active Member

I did a search on Shiga and didn't find anything. Obviously didn't search hard enough.

5. benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Its good to have a thread that can be used by people who are there to post pics and conditions. Sandy san usually goes up there once a season - so we will have one poster at least!

6. ausi ski bum

ausi ski bum Addicted Member

I love Shiga, great skiing and vast, I alwys rent a car so I can get around different areas and in the evening a lot easier than with the shuttles they can take a long time to get from one end to the other.

I have staye at Prince (over rated and over priced) Oshigakogen Hotel Up the ski only resort right at the far ent, great hotel just dont go if your a boarder. I have even stayed at the Yokoteyama Hotel which was fantastic, its found at the highest point in the resort so once the lifts stop, your not going anywhare, its the Bakery and the family that run it are the best. Worth considering for a truely Japanese hospitality moment but with a european twist.

If I were to go back, would look for a new place, always great to have variety.

7. Tonester

Tonester Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Love Shiga. Huge area, great pitch (hosted a number of events at the Nagano Winter Olympics), quirky quasi-Austrian architecture in the middle section (near Giant course), no snowboarders allowed at each end of the region and few crowds.

8. PMG

PMG Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

9. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

I'm at Myoko right now, but heading up to Shiga Kogen late this arvo, for 8 nights.

Shiga Kogen has some gems, and during the week, there's hardly anybody there.

Staying at the Prince Hotel. If you book early enough and become a Prince Club member, you can get a twin room for 11,700yen (no meals), so it's less than 6000pp. A family room for 4 can be around 18,000.
    In this case, it's best to eat out a bit, as the Prince Buffett is 4000yen pp.

10. Hauffy

Hauffy Active Member

Hey Sandy
    I notice there are a few areas off limits to snowboarders.Would ShigaKogen worth the trip for a snowboarder? I'm thinking of maybe Shiga or Kagura towards the end of my trip(mid-late feb).Cheers :)

11. ausbob

ausbob Active Member

Thanks for the link to the previous Shiga thread, a lot of good information. I did notice there wasn't a 2013/2014 Shiga thread started and was wondering what happened ?

12. PMG

PMG Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Not enough heading there this year probably. Pencilled it in for 2015.

13. hotsaki

hotsaki Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

I`m going there in Feb.Only for 3 days,using it as a recon trip.Like the idea of the highest lifted in Japan.

14. PMG

PMG Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I like the idea of it being deserted during the week (according to Sandy).

15. M_G

M_G Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Last year was the first Shiga thread I think but not much love so far this year.

16. mauricem

mauricem Active Member

One thing about Shiga compared to Niseko/Hakuba/Nozawa was almost no westerners. Where we stayed at Kuhls
    we were the only non Japanese in the whole place for nearly a week.

17. PMG

PMG Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Was Kuhls as good a place as any to stay mauricem?

18. Tonester

Season Pass Gold

My next trip will definitely take in Shiga. I love the fact there's few Westerners.

Hacski likes this.
  19. PMG

PMG Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

May see you there Tonester. You can show us all the good spots. ;)

Tonester likes this.
  20. ausbob

ausbob Active Member

Looks like Boys Week (or I should say old men's week) Shiga Kogen 2015 Feb is pencilled in, now just looking at accommodation. Any tip's would be appreciated.

21. PMG

PMG Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Oh God is the crew the size of the North Korean army again? ;)

22. ausbob

ausbob Active Member

Probably? Not really sure these things start out small and then seem to snowball. (Pardon the pun)

23. M_G

M_G Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Was helping out someone else recently. Chalet Shiga seemed like a good option.

24. ausbob

ausbob Active Member

Must be Karma, I was just looking at Chalet Shiga when I checked back here and presto.:cheers:

25. mauricem

mauricem Active Member

yeah we were happy with it, good position, staff couldnt do enough to help. Smaller family run property with owner and wife hands on and they always had one english speaking staff member who looked after us, sort of halfway between the prince and a pension.
    They picked us up from Nozawa at no charge even though we'd agreed to pay 5000y and insisted on taking us to meet our oversnow transport to Yokoyoteyama when we left. Even promised a room upgrade if we came back.

Room rate included gear hire which we swapped for pizza vouchers. Breakfast and dinner included, pretty good buffets but was keen for some variety after a few days.

26. hotsaki

hotsaki Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

I think I have booked in to Chalet Shiga,just waiting to hear back from them if I am booked in.
    I am an old man so I could be up for Feb15!

27. ausbob

ausbob Active Member

Might be some younger ones next trip, thinking of doing a father son thing. Hotsaki you'll have to let me know what Chalet Shiga is like, week after Chinese new year in Feb 2015 just to let you know.

28. Tonester

Season Pass Gold

No, sorry PMG...no good spots to be found here. :whistle:;)o_O

29. Tonester

Season Pass Gold

My last couple of visits to Shiga I stayed at the Sunroute Hotel in Inchinose. I could be wrong, but as far as I can tell there is no Sunroute hotel here anymore.

Anyone know what name it might go by now?

30. M_G

M_G Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Fingers crossed! o_O

31. Toto Warmlet

Toto Warmlet Dedicated Member

If there is no thread what is the sound of Shiga existing?
    Well it will the Jpop blasting out from the pylons if it's murky.
    It's a freaking mishmash unless strapped into an automobile seatbelt and there is fuel in the tank and a sober driver.
    Ryuoo Ski Park has a very nice long run from the Gondola that I'd be tempted to return to.
    Actually, I'd say it's the best powder run I've ever done literally in Japan.
    Memory dulls the factual experience maybe.
    In bounds fun for sure on the right daze.

32. ausbob

ausbob Active Member

Has anyone stayed at the hotel Alpenberg or in the giant area of Shiga Kogen.

33. BofSki

BofSki Dedicated Member

Stayed at Shiga Kanko Hotel last year which sort of overlooked giant - from the front of the hotel short walk across road and round behind hotel opposite was a cat track that came out about 2/3's the way down giant. Could ski back to the front door from top of giant. Hotel was clean and staff very helpful, but like many in Shiga somewhat dated. I suspect a lot were built for the Nagano Olympics and haven't had a refit since.

There are a small group of hotels at the bottom of giant, Alpenberg is one of them. Giant is a fair way away from busier (relatively) areas like Inchinose and the Princes. But that is one of the things about Shiga, it's massive and pretty easy to traverse along the length of it.

We're staying at the Prince this year having taken Sandy's advice, joined the prince club, and got a reasonable rate. Yep, Shiga has limited opportunities for meals / nightlife outside your hotel, but vast ski field to be explored and very quiet during the week.

Depends what you're looking for.

34. BofSki

BofSki Dedicated Member

Oh, and don't forget to drop into the Prince East (the posh one) for coffee and cake, or even a glass of wine :whistle:

[​IMG]

35. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

In that cluster of hotels around Ichinose, between the Yamazaki conbini and the Nepalese restaurant is a Japanese restaurant. It does an awesome wagyu beef steak dinner, and absurdly cheap at 2000yen. You have to pre order the steak the previous day, and its closed on Sunday

36. JoeKing

JoeKing Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

LOL

37. ausbob

ausbob Active Member

So sorry if this is stating the obvious, but as a confirmation. It's easy to ski through to the different areas of shiga kogen but you have to shuttle bus if walking. Ichinose has the most eating options of all the area's. Feel free to correct anything or add anything.

38. BofSki

BofSki Dedicated Member

Shiga is basically in two sections. You can ski from Okushigakogen all the way through Ichinose to Sunvalley. Then you need the shuttle to the second area which runs roughly from Kasadake to Shibutoge. Last year it took a week to explore the first area and I never bothered to work out the shuttle. Skiing from one area to another requires using the lifts so I'm pretty sure you can't have dinner say in one area then ski back!

39. hotsaki

hotsaki Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

All good to stay at Chalet Shiga.I ended up emailing the hotel direct as I heard nothing back when I booked via their website.
    I said that I heard they had the best accomodation in all Japan.Will report back when we are there.

M_G likes this.
  40. JoeKing

JoeKing Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Hahaha. Japanese online booking websites. Hmmm.

41. ausbob

ausbob Active Member

It would be great to hear what you think about the place.

42. mauricem

mauricem Active Member

If your having trouble booking theres a kiwi guy Craig who lives over there who seems to have Shiga wired, he knows all the properties and owners and can get you into the ones that wont deal with non japanese speakers. Dont know if he works off comissions but whatever deal he gets its never more than the publicised rates and often less.

Not sure if I should post his contact here but PM if you want it

43. M_G

M_G Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

44. hotsaki

hotsaki Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

I dream of a freelance lifestyle.

45. Hacski

Hacski Guest

Craig is a pretty good guy even if he is a Kiwi. He used to work in Ryokan Biyunoyado, a modified Ryokan in Yudanaka with HacJR who did a working holiday there and we got to know him when we visited.

46. mauricem

mauricem Active Member

He was very helpful to us even with my constant plan changes which i suspect was driving him nuts!

47. Hacski

Hacski Guest

He used to have his own web site on snow monkeys etc and other attractions around Yudanaka but it seems to have been taken down.

48. M_G

M_G Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

That's part of his freelance lifestyle. ;)

Hacski likes this.
  49. Toto Warmlet

Toto Warmlet Dedicated Member

There came a day when the clouds drifting along with the wind aroused a wanderlust in me, and I set off on a journey to roam along the seashores...

50. Hacski

Hacski Guest

Last time I saw Craig he w;as in Sydney at one of the ski expos, maybe May 2011. This thread and memories of people is making me want to go back to SK.
    :(