Review Salomon QST 99 review

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Annabuzzy, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Hi so new skis, new review...

I got these sort of on the recommendation of Carveman. I can't say specifically he overtly recommended them but he did suggest I look into them. I did like the old Salomon Q98 but wanted that playfulness with a bit more stoutness. They are 181cm and look super cool.

So, the review so far is limited to 2 half days at Hakuba 47 on firm snow. That's kind of good though as I'm confident this ski will rock in soft snow. The big query is how it would go on hard snow.

The other thing I should mention is, being only days 1 & 2 back on snow, I've been skiing well within myself. Indeed today I was voluntary lead instructor to my 6 year old!

Anyway, good news - the ski handles hard snow vastly better than the Q98 it replaced. It's balance point is also better - the Q98 felt slightly forward (although one quickly got used to it). The QST seems perfect right from the get go. It seem to deal with hard snow pretty well - as I say a lot better than the Q98. It's balanced in longer turns and to date I have had no chatter.

The other comparison ski is the Line Supernatural 100. This QST seems about as good as the Line on hard snow with a touch more lightness and ease, but really my experience to date is there isn't much in it. That's a big difference as before there was a profound difference on hard snow between the Line Supernatural 100 and the Salomona Q98.

Ajmit321, kaegee, Jacko4650 and 4 others like this.
  2. JoeKing

JoeKing Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

I love my Q98's. What you want to do, just for fun and just before you get on the lift, swap the skis on the boots. Count the number of chairlift invaders who feel obliged to mention the improper dress code.

Annabuzzy likes this.
  3. Annabuzzy

Season Pass Gold

First powder turns today. Not enough of them to get fully acquainted with the ski, but it performed much as expected. It was peppy and agile and very easy to ski in around mid shin to knee deep powder. Maybe a touch deeper. I favour a short to medium turn in powder and it does this perfectly.

As the snow got more cut up the ski fell back a touch. A friend on some Volkls seemed to be able to drive through the set up mounds more than the Salomons, which were more deflected by the mounds. All good for me though - that's the trade-off. By the same token these skies shined in a relative sense in powder bumps, where the Volkl's "turns are for wimps" traits acted as a disadvantage.

4. Annabuzzy

Season Pass Gold

I think I can probably close this out now. Unless something new arises in the next few days I think I can consider my experiences complete.

Overview

So, just as an overview, this is a laminate wood core ski with some metal underfoot, but not elsewhere. It has some sort of flax in the tip which is supposed to quieten it, giving it a smoother feel. And that it appears to do. I still haven't really pushed the ski to any extremes but I have skied it at speeds where the Q98 would start to get the shudders and some tip flap. None on this, so all good.

Groomed/firm snow

So on groomed forgiving snow this ski is a dream. For a ski without a full metal laminate it is surprisingly quiet. On harder, more icy snow I have pared it back and only skied mid radius turns, at medium speeds. But in those turns it has entered turns well, and held an edge well throughout.

Bumps

I'm not much of a bump skier but this is a light and lively ski, and skis bumps well. It's maybe a touch less forgiving than the Q98, but there's not much in it.

Powder

I haven't had much untracked powder, but what I have had shows this ski is great for the playful mid radius mid speed turns and shorter turns I tend to enjoy. Not much to say here except they really do fulfill the brief. I gather they offer similar powder performance to some other wider skis because of their forgiving nature, but others with a broader experience of a wider range of skis would be better placed to comment.

Crud/set up powder

This isn't a burly tank. It won't explode through set up snow. It will ski over the tops of two or three set up mounds in a pretty calm fashion if you want to do broader turns, but at least for me it tends to prefer skiing over the top of or in the trough of set up mounds.

Final

A great all around ski for those who aren't looking for a stiffer style all mountain circa 100mm ski. A perfect northern hemisphere one ski quiver. It would also be a perfect Oz powder ski.

I don't think I would personally choose this as an Oz OSQ but it would certainly do that job if you were so inclined

nfip and MickM like this.
  5. Annabuzzy

Season Pass Gold

A short post script.

I've now skied these in Hakuba through "the dump". When the snow hit waist deep plus it started to get out of its comfort zone. As an eg (helpful only for those who know Imori) I managed to get first ish tracks down the Cosmos 4 area when it opened for the first time this season. While it coped with it ok, the ski (or me, or both) didn't work as well as when the snow was shin or knee or thigh deep. I guess that goes to the limitations of a 99mm waist. But really this was an epic unprecedented dump - you could ski for years and not encounter that amount if snow falling at the same time again. For me it was the biggest accumulation I have experienced in 25 years of skiing.

Second, as the snow consolidated in the sun today I did encounter meaningful tip flap, but no shudder (phew).

Overall my impressions remain the same.