Sago, what's the CPV latest buddy ???

Discussion in 'Charlotte Pass' started by Triple B, Jul 13, 2009.

Triple B

Triple B Dedicated Member

As our 'on the ground reporter' for CPV, what's the latest?

How is Guthries coming along? Any predictions or whispers on how much more they need to get it open?

Cheers m8.
    Sago

Sago Active Member

I think another 30cm's should get Gutheries open.
    Snowing fairly heavy since around 7pm.Maybe had 10-15.
    Will have better indication tomorrow.
    Hill stared to look tired after a week of sun and compaction but looks far better this afternoon.With tonight's falls should massively inprove things.
    Triple B

Thx mate. Keep those updates coming.

BTW, has mobile coverage improved at all at CPV since I was last there, when it was almost non-existent???
    Sago

Sago Active Member

Same mobile coverage still rubbish.compounded with the removal of public gold phones.Instead of moving forward with tech we are going back.Apparetenly Optus were to put tower in on top of chair a few years back but old village owners wanted to much rent to keep it there so we have missed out as well as the safety of all back country tourers.
    Still on dial up internet also.After broadband in summer to come to this the computer has almost joined the snowpack a few times.
    Gutheries still not open and not likely,things are moving slow here at the moment .However hiked up to Mocko's bowl left of Gutheries poma was 2-3 feet deep no wind pack and untouched.Was one of the most dry powder snow skiing have skied here in OZ.Pity only could manage one run due to time restraints.
    Village needs to move snow guns to right of tee and bottom of Gutheries and it could open in a day or two.No snow making operating as of half an hour ago.minus 6 on thermo

Sago

Sago Active Member

Snowguns started finally on basin poma.
    Triple B

Thx for the updates, truly appreciated.

Leave it an hour and sneak out and drag the gun down to the right of the T [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
    TC

TC Pool Room

id love to organise a trip to CP this year
    fabulous place
    Angus_McCrory

Angus_McCrory Part of the Furniture

Guthries only takes about 15 minutes to skin up the lift path. Did it last year to steal some freshies while the lift was closed due to inclement weather. Very nice, very peaceful.
    :thumbs: Sago likes this.
    carvit

carvit New Member

i am patiently waiting till there is enough of the good stuff to cover Guthries.
    not until then will i venture to the Alps for a slide.

i love Charlotte Pass
    Sago

Sago Active Member

Hi Taxman,
    walked up 2 days ago and was 2 feet deep.nearly killed me.ski down was worth it.
    Gutheries looks more than enough to open but for access back to T is very dogey,hence for the 1 night of snow making to recifiy the problem.Must of been all those westerly gales that blew snow to PV.
    Overall resort looks fantastic.
    Taxman,mocko eagerly awaiting your arrival he tells me.
    Sago

Sago Active Member

Triple B,
    Snowguns apear to be on standby again.
    Snowing at 9pm but can't se much in it.
    If i could quietly move the machines i would.I might offer services FOC so i can legitimately move them when not watching.They did do good job last night.I think thay are trying to create the mound behind basin poma so people don't have to hike back up to lift line.1 more night should finish the job.
    Angus_McCrory

Excellent news Sago. Also looking to catching up with Tommy G and heading out for some BC turns. See you soon, heading down for a week on 1st August. Targangil will certainly miss David and Nola when they decide to call it a day.
    Sago

Sago Active Member

Taxman,
    they still might have a few years yet.
    Angus_McCrory

I would hope so. That said, over 25 years with the same lodge is a superb effort.
    Triple B

Sago, better nick down to the office and tell them to pay for more bandwidth.....

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
    The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

I've been getting that message on the Charlotte Pass website for quite a few hours now. [​IMG]

PS. With no website, u may have to supply updates...Guthries progress?? [​IMG]

Cheers
    Sago

Sago Active Member

Gutheries i have been advised requires need another 20cm.But then after that will it require another 20cm .It is almost becoming farcical.
    In my opinion 1-2 night's of snowmaking could remedy the so called lack of snow,but very unlikely to occur.Bottom of T still looking average.Without a big fall it could wear thin quickly.
    I don't want to be pessimistic but grooming below average compared to previous years.That is meaning areas groomed not quality.Asher still doing great job,cannot be blamed.EG.Right of T not been groomed as yet when easily could be.We are being confined to between T and chair and that gets a bit boring after a while once off piste becomes skiable only for the very advanced.
    Fingers crossed on the next fall and this could all forgotton if they are prompt in opening up further terrain.
    Currently a bit boring for anyone than an intermediate skier.No disrespect to anyone.
    Hope to report good news over the next few days.
    Triple B

Thx for the updates Sago.

Appreciated. [​IMG]

I have sent 2 emails over the past 4 or 5 days via the 'Contact Us' link in the website asking about Guthries. No response.

Is it that hard to at least respond?? [​IMG]
    Dusty B

Dusty B Dedicated Member

Hey Sago, patiently waiting for Gutheries to open too. Does the reasoning (in your opinion) behind not opening it relate to a priority issue with the snow guns, a safety issue with the rocks not being COMPLETELY covered or a resource issue with them not prepared to front up the dollars for staff and running costs until they get more tickets sold.

I will be very very very dissapointed if the current snow depth is maintained and the lift doesn't open by the time we get there on 9/8.

Cheers,
    Dusty B

oh yeah, thanks for the updates, we all appreciate it, I will buy you a beer when I get there.
    D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator

so much for the days of breaking blades to get that poma open [​IMG]
    Sago

Sago Active Member

Rocks are more covered at gutheries then right of t.So far about 5 nights of snowmaking have taken place,all around basin poma and carpet.Snowmking has not taken place now for around a week.Bottom of T has about 20cms of depth with minor patches coming through.Bridge near bottom of T coming from Chalet,path becoming scratchy.Not entirely village fault as high exposed wind area,but in past years extenisve use of mobile snow fences alleviated this problem as well as snowmaking.The snowmaking window for CP snowmachines is closing and without sustained natural snowfalls or snowmaking the t bar will cause major problems for the resort in the coming warmer weeks late August early Sept.
    In previous years they harvested snow from flats behing Chalet but this has not taken place.In my opinion if this was done the Poma could be readied to be opened.As for staffing running cost can't comment but when packages are prepaid months in advance, it doesn't matter what lifts are open because people have already paid.
    Dusty B

Dusty B Dedicated Member

As is mine. Hence impending dissapointment. Unfortunately lack of snow management, and unopen skiable areas could influence us back to the lodge at PB for next year (pains me to say that cause I love the Pass). I don't mind hiking but I prefer to pay the fee and take the lift.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
    Dusty B

Dusty B Dedicated Member

Still owe you that beer!
    Sago

Sago Active Member

OK,
    Will take you up on that beer DB,but not necessary.
    Don't write of CP because some valuable lesson may be learnt in public relations after this season,fingers crossed.
    Snow today has been steady since lunch so maybe after this fall things may get moving along.
    I really can't see any reason not to open Gutheries if snow stays steady for the next 12 hours.Excuses will have to be running out by then.
    I would say 10-15cms has fallen since lunch.
    Sago

Sago Active Member

Dusty B.
    Still no sign of Gutheries opening.
    Lift lines the worst i have since since Mt P in the 80's.Maybe the 150 odd day trippers didn't help the cause.T line was about 50metres long at one stage,almost back to Chalet bar.Chair after it opened went back to 1st tower.
    No problem with day trippers if all lifts are open and more runs where groomed .
    Right of T still has not seen a groomer apart from along the road to pass.
    I wish the resort management could hear the rumblings in the lift lines this morning.
    Apart from the 4 runs i had on the t in an hour the snow is superb.
    The fresh air at least was worth getting out for .
    smitty484

smitty484 Old And Crusty

Dissapointing for such a great place. I would love to go back to CP one day, but not if management stinges out on opening lifts and grooming runs.
    Fisher's Ghost

Fisher's Ghost Addicted Member

Just registering appreciation for the daily scoops, Sago. Thanks.
    Sago

Sago Active Member

Not trying to be negative but today was a regretable ski experience.
    Again no snow making tonight.My feelings that is finished here for the year,so unless we continue to receive good natural falls we will struggle in certain areas come Sept.Word is Gutheries was being inspected this afternoon and a desicion is to be made on opening it.From my experience it won't,and after the next expected fall(Sunday/Mon) it will not be opened at least until Wed/Thurs lunch time next week(my prediction) if at all.
    Triple B

Ouch. [​IMG]

Positive or negative, you can only call it as u see it m8, thx.

The CP website has been down for over 12 hours now, so you're the only contact we have at the minute to update us on conditions and the Guthries/Right side of T-Bar situation. [​IMG]
    BrockF

BrockF Active Member

Unfortunately this same issue turned me of CP a few years ago. I was hesiatant to pre-pay for lift passes in advanced assuming they wouldn't be open. Upon arrival the chair was open to mid station and we were assured the T would be opening tomoorow. 1 week later we were still on the chair to mid station. Did have some nice runs down Guthries after a few walks and the T was sweet - again after walking. Haven't been back since and most likeley won't untill some changes are made in certain area's. A real shame !
    Dusty B

Dusty B Dedicated Member

Thanks for the word on the snowy white street Sago. If lift queues were as bad as you said they were the other day and either a few dollar saving inititiaves (no gun, no gutheries), CP is running the risk of losing a large amount of clientele.

ie, No day trippers, and the lodges will remain full (but no downhillers), only of cross country skiiers that wont buy lift tickets and in my experience knowing many who stay at Pygmy, do so on an extremely tight budget (ie, ski in from perisher = no oversnow, no lift tickets, do a run to the lodge in summer = no money spent at the pub, on cocktails, wine, going to the Chalet for dinner, etc).

Honestly, no much how I love the place, if the resort can't open Gutheries when there is a decent amount of snow on the ground, our one week a year snow trip will probably be Perisher, Hotham, or Queenstown (which I gave up on this year to take my family to CP instead, my mates are flying out for in the morning).
    Sago

Sago Active Member

Right of T now being groomed and gutheries track worked on today.May open tomorrow but they may wait for the next fall.
    I think a lesson was learnt yesterday.
    Lift lines a little better today but not flash.Still line backed 5-10metres behind t bar bullwheel.
    Lines still way larger than what we are used to that's why maybe we are upset because once you get used to near instant loading anything else is an inconvience.
    Sago

Sago Active Member

Gutheries now Open
    Sago

Sago Active Member

At Last,
    About a week to late
    Triple B

Good news Sago...cheers.

Strangely enough, the CP website lists it as open, yet fails to make any mention of it in the general report. You'd think they would be screaming it from the rooftops.

Maybe they don't realise how important it is to open that area in terms of terrain to entice the daytrippers and keep the regulars happy. That's why it doesn't appear that they care much if it is open or not.
    SkiKat

SkiKat New Member

Just home - pretty peeved about the late opening Guthries - the official line was there wasn't enough snow to open Guthries - what a crock!! Gossip in the lift queues (and they were long) was it could have been opened Thursday or Friday if management hadn't been too penny pinching to pay the groomers!! Love to hear the real reasons.
    I'm with DustyB - we're downhillers and as my kids grow up we'll head for more terrain and more reliable lifts - a shame 'cos Charlotte's is as close to heaven as i'll ever get!!
    Sago

Sago Active Member

Hi Skikat,
    I think you are right on the money.I heard the same things in the lift lines.Hopefully the right people read your post.
    Triple B

It's a shame.

My wifes family have a long history of skiing at Charlotte, firstly as members of Southern Alps and then moving to Jerra when it was built many years ago. Both her nieces learnt to ski there as kids and we attended the eldest girls 40th last year and will attend the youngest' this year, so we are talking a long time.

When I first went down in '98, it was just a given that we came in before lunch on the cat, raced down to get our '8 day weekly' and headed for the slopes after lunch on Sat afternoon. Of the 30 odd people staying in the lodge, at least 20 would have pre-paid for the weekly. That's a fair chunk of coin.

Now, NOBODY in our lodge bothers to buy the weekly.

Part of the reason is the peak hour luggage restrictions on the Skitube means you cannot have a real early start, but that is a small annoyance and I also agree it's a necessary rule and I have no problem with it.

The GREATEST SINGLE reason we don't fork out for the weekly is the appeared lack of urgency to open terrain.

In 2006, granted a shocking year snow wise, we skied only the T-Bar until Wednesday lunchtime. No chair (except to mid-station) and certainly no Guthries. Now that had more to do with snow conditions than management decisions, but when you have situations like this year, plenty of snow + plenty of opportunities to make snow to give areas like Guthries the little bit of help they need to open earlier but they still show no urgency to open areas.....

I do note now that you can but multi-day tickets. I'm not sure if this was the situation last year when I didn't go, but prior to that it was only weekly or just daily's (a PIA to go to the ticket office every morning).

/rant
    Sago

Sago Active Member

Lift lines this week virtually ski on.Well this morning anyway.Had about 10 people in front of me in the line waiting for the chair.T and Gutheries skied straight on.Weather Ok this morning .Very foggy at the moment.
    Snow at Gutheries is very dry and powdery.
    Dusty B

Dusty B Dedicated Member

Thanks for the update Sago,

I hear ya Triple B. I would love to say that I learnt to ski at the Pass, but Pygmy wasn't built until I was 8 (I think), so that was the first time I ventured up there. But the annual family ski trip was Charlotte's every year till I was 19.

Now at 32, we plan on having our kids learn to ski there. I hope to have the Dustmite (age 2.5) on skis for his first time in a couple of weeks, but we will wait and see how conducive he is to it. The 1 year old would give it a go if we let her, she's nuts.

I have pre-paid for a weekly ticket this year, to get the cheap price on an early bird, and I know I take a risk with the snow, but if there is good snow and lifts still aren't open, things like this are making me rethink this strategy going forward.

Part of the weekly prepay is for convenience, so I can go out and ski when I feel like it, if I miss a day here and there, so what. But if this is going to be an ongoing strategy from management with holding Gutheries shut longer, I would probably just play the wait and see game and not get any tickets till I get on the mountain. And if I am going to do that, I will probably just go with daily's to have a couple of rest days in there.

Still want the kids to learn to ski there, but if there is stuffing around, I will save my knees for other weekends with my mates to Perisher.
    carvit

carvit New Member

i have to give a little <span style='font-size: 8pt'>woot woot </span>
    [​IMG]
    Triple B

Sago, Taxman (anybody else at CP next week)

This is me in Canada last year:

[​IMG]

I'll be wearing the same outfit (different goggles) even down to the black 'Tragics 08/09' beanie.

You should be able to pick me out, not too many other 130kg+ guys on the mountain.

Say hi, please, even if it's just to introduce yourself.

Cheers
    Bob
    Android

Android Active Member

We'll be day tripping there on Saturday the 8th August.

From all the comments on this forum we're really looking forward to it.
    Dusty B

Dusty B Dedicated Member

Will be at CP the week 9-16. As an arrangement spot, I suggest standing next to midstation of the chair, near the entrance to its on ramp at 10.30am, with poles crossed. I will endeavour to be there most mornings, if nothing else to say g'day to other mooshers. Hang around for about 5-10 mins.
    Sago

Sago Active Member

Ok Taxman and dusty B ill be looking out for you both.
    Taxman i will drop in to TGG during week to say hello.
    Sago
    Skiing still good although slightly icy today.However weather closed in about lunch with intermittent snowfalls.
    Sago

Sago Active Member

Has been snowing heavier since around 7pm.
    Angus_McCrory

Excellent news on the Snow. WIll see you next week Sago.
    Sago

Sago Active Member

OK,
    Will look out for you.
    Snow today far inproved from yesterday.Should only improve over coming days.
    Sago

Sago Active Member

Snowmaking currently taking place again on carpet and beginners poma.T still looking very average at bottom on the right.I can't see the snowguns going there this year.Fingers crossed for good natural snow and no rain or NWesterlies
    Angus_McCrory

BTW Sago, nice to have met you and look forward to seeing you again in the future.
    Sago

Sago Active Member

Likewise Taxman.
    Sorry I missed you triple B.
    Maybe next year.
    Sago