Quick question Vancouver to whistler

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Gimped, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Gimped

Gimped Active Member

We will be flying Qantas direct to Vancouver.
    Plane gets in 2pm.
    Trying to decide whether we go straight to whistler or overnight in Vancouver.
    Travel agent quoting us 500 dollars for 2 rooms (4 adults) in Vancouver. For that price we could have another non-skiing day in whistler.
    Thoughts?
    ....or will we be too wasted after the flight to think about a bus trip?

2. Spyder_Man

Spyder_Man Active Member

Easy bus ride, you can always doze off on the bus, until you get there.
    You have to weigh up if a nights accomodation in whistler is less than 500 bucks or more than 500 bucks.... that will help you decide which way to go

3. cruisin along

cruisin along Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

If you stay in Vancouver look into staying at a place near the airport .....google is your friend ...I will try and find the name of one used by a few of us and they drop you back and collect you from airport for free.
    I think it was about $150 a room for the night ...good rooms and easy walk to markets to stretch your legs.

4. Nozawaman

Nozawaman Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

5. Stick

Stick Active Member

We used this group http://www.whistlershuttle.com/ met us at the airport, just enough time to get your fill of Timbits at Tim Hortons. Not sure of group size length of stay etc, but a hire car up to Whistler allowing you to stop at some amazing spots is also an option.

6. Chalkie

Chalkie Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

A 2pm arrival time at YVR is perfect!

We've used Whistler Glacier Group for car / limo transfers from YVR to Whistler. Meet you at YVR, pop you in a car (with your Timmie's snacks and bevvies (yes I know the coffee is shite but straight off a plane, I'll drink anything) and a couple of hours later you'll be at your accommodation in Whistler. You can have supper at 7pm or so, and then have a good night's sleep. Someone else has taken care of the driving for you, and you can gaze out the window at the stunning scenery or nap (although not necessarily recommended as part of a jet lag management strategy).

Stick's suggestion of self-drive is good if you want to take your time with sightseeing too, although to try and do some of the sightseeing on the Sea to Sky with a 2pm YVR arrival, straight off a QF flight, might be a little stressful - fatigue, driving wrong side of the road, potential for inclement weather, and it getting dark pretty early all adds up to potential hassle. If you did the self-drive/sightseeing option, do it the following day, in the light and after you're well rested.

7. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

If you land at 2pm you wont get out of the airport until 3.30 so you wont get to Whitler until after dark so unless you know where you are going you will probably struggle

If you are renting a car you could readily drive to West Vancouver from the airport in less than one hour and there are plenty of motels you can get for $99/night including breakfast and you are 1/3 of the way to Whistler the next morning

8. Crystal

Crystal Sand skier extraordinaire
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

Or you could stay down town and do some shopping the next day before heading to Whistler

JoeKing likes this.
  9. Pro Ride

Pro Ride Active Member

I would recommend to go straight to Whistler if you're arriving at 2 pm unless you are planning more than a night in Vancouver as you wont have time to see anything there. Hotels around the airport will be cheaper however it is far from downtown so no real reason to be near the airport unless you have an early flight. There are a few transfer companies but the one that will get you there the fastest (other than a private transfer) is Whistler Connection as they guarantee you will depart the airport within an hour of meeting their agent. https://www.ridebooker.com/ Its approx a 2-2.5 hr transfer in a comfortable shuttle so i would expect you would be in Whistler around 5.30/6pm. Its a very quick and efficient door to door service. If you stay downtown unless you stay in one of the 2 hotels that offer Whistler pick up service you will have to shuttle yourself to one of these locations the following day.

Pro Ride Snowboard Camps

10. Gimped

Gimped Active Member

thanks everyone :)

11. kathfern

kathfern Active Member

We did the same flight and took the transport straight to whistler. Great scenery on the way up and they dropped us at the front door of our accommodation. Perfect!

12. bomber

bomber Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I always get a good rate on Avis.co.uk for a 4wd which I can then fuel up and drop off in Whistler. Drive is not hard and this year we arrived about 1 pm out of airport with car before 2 and drop car off before 4 though could have kept it for 24 hours. That would have meant parking somewhere. Same in reverse to come back, pick car up late in afternoon and then drive out in the morning.

13. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Another vote for the shuttle from the airport to Whistler.You should arrive in time to pick up any hire gear that night so you can catch first lifts the next morning.

FatBoyDave likes this.
  14. Piste Again

Season Pass Gold

We've tried that a few times but they've never had a car available for the return leg.

15. luvthabumps

luvthabumps Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

I'd get the shuttle straight up. Unless you want a couple of days in Van, there's little point in paying for one night's accom if you're not really going to see much and head up to Whistler early in the morning.

Getting through YVR is fast. They've just installed kiosks for e passport and there are heaps of them so it's really very quick. The lowest part is waiting for your skis usually. The only time I've been held up there in the past 12 months is when we had to organise 13yo jnr LTB's student Visa and there were about 50 people in Immigration ahead of us. Even that only took us 1.5 hours. Last Sat night I flew in from Vegas (with only hand luggage) and was in the taxi within 15 mins of getting of the plane.

I've just arrived back from a weekend in Whistler - such a great place in Summer as well.

Wardy likes this.
  16. Wardy

Wardy Well-Known Member

This ^^^

17. Gimped

Gimped Active Member

Sounds like a quick transfer is the way to go. My wife might disagree however!

18. FatBoyDave

FatBoyDave Dedicated Member

Unless you are planning the next day in Vancouver, better to head to Whistler and then you have that night to sort out your stuff and have a walk around, get your bearings and start getting into that holiday mindset.

The only reason I would stay in Vancouver would be to:
    - watch an Ice Hockey game
    - recreate an Anthony Bourdain No reservations episode, (there is some very good dining in Vancouver)
    - Call past a MEC shop, (https://www.mec.ca/en/) and get my outdoor camping gear fix. (Anything will be cheaper down here than Whistler). Whistler village has a great range of ski shops and equipment for sale but... not a lot of bargains to be had.

Seriously, you've made it this far, Whistler is only another 2 1/2 hours away. Tell your wife to have a cup of concrete and harden up. Or.... stay married and plan 1-2 days in Vancouver at the end of your trip.

19. sly_karma

sly_karma Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

I was there the last weekend of June to work a mtn bike race. Mad centre of activity with people walking around dressed for DH mtn biking, XC mtn biking, whitewater rafting, road cycling, rock climbing, hiking, golfing, skiing, snowboarding, and of course just lounging around drinking coffee or adult beverages. Even 2 hours from the city, you're still in the city: people everywhere, lineups to get a coffee, lineups to get a table at a resto, etc etc. Loads of energy though and not hard to see why they now get more visitors in summer than in winter - so much to do.

One thing though, the village is just as confusing in the summer as it is with snow on the ground. Yes, it's pedestrian free and has glorious natural scenery for a backdrop, but in general it's poorly designed. None of the streets are straight, the plazas and squares all look the same, and their names are so generic none of it sticks in your mind. I've been there a fair few times and I still couldn't reliably find my way back to my hotel each day. Not enough distinguishing features!

20. Crystal

Yeah...think it's the 'adult drinks' ;)

21. sly_karma

Season Pass Gold

Nope we were too afraid to have a drink outside, the only safe place was back in the hotel room where we knew where we were!

Crystal likes this.
  22. absentskier

absentskier Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Sounds like age might be a factor in your case?
    :out:

sly_karma likes this.
  23. Crystal

lol.......because you'd get lost walking back....to funny.

24. luvthabumps

luvthabumps Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

I agree - it took me a whole season (every weekend and a few extras) to be comfortable getting around the main village. It's not easy at all.

25. Piste Again

Season Pass Gold

The "natural " stuff at Whistler is gorgeous. The built environment is pretty generic North American.

We've always stayed at Creekside. It's a lot smaller and harder to get lost.

26. sly_karma

Season Pass Gold

Agreed, Creekside is a lot easier to understand. I have excellent spatial skills and sense of direction, it's essential as a builder. I've navigated my way across southwest Tassie and the Kimberleys off track, crossed the Bogong High Plains on XC skis by compass bearing in pea soup fog, driven all over nth america and europe by map in the pre-GPS days. It's not me, Whistler village is a shit design.

Piste Again likes this.
  27. bomber

bomber Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Agree, but would prefer to be there skiing than in the office!

28. gareth_oau

Season Pass Gold

Maybe next time you go to whistler village take your compass LOL.

But I agree with you. I really didnt enjoy my time there, mainly because of the crowds

29. sly_karma

Season Pass Gold

A quick bit about the road the other side of Whistler, to the north. Good news for those contemplating a winter drive on this route as an alternate to slogging through the city and up the freeway to SP, BW et al. I drove it both ways a fortnight ago on that trip to Whistler. Highways have been busy improving the road, quite a bit of smooth new asphalt and most of the old single lane bridges with their tight, awkward approaches are gone. There's no getting around the fact it crosses the very snowy Coast Range through a steep, narrow, avalanche-prone pass with a stretch of almost 100 km between settlements, but the road is being transitioned out of its logging road engineering and approaching a more normal highway standard. This is good for winter travelers as there are fewer off camber corners and barrierless sections to suck you over the edge, but it's now sufficiently dumbed down that the summer tourists aren't scared of it like they used to be. It used to be a delight in a fast car or bike, imagine a hundred clicks of twisty, steep mountain road with not one town or farm to slow you down. If you came up behind the occasional other vehicle, mostly they were sufficiently intimidated by the tricky, rough road that they would quickly pull over and let you past. Sadly, it's now a procession of RVs and rubberneckers in minivans who haven't looked in the mirrors since they pulled out of their driveway. They stubbornly continue on at their grinding pace and piously refuse to allow anyone pass because they're doing the speed limit and that should be good enough for anyone. In future I'll try to time the drive for early morning.

30. gareth_oau

Season Pass Gold

we did that drive from SP to Whistler in February and it was magnificent.

Conditions were excellent and had no problems with the road, on M&S tyres

31. silva

silva Active Member

We drove that road in 2000. We had the flexible approach - if the weather is crappy we were planning to go through Vancouver. When we discussed it with people we got the reply "compared to the goat tracks you call roads in Australia it will feel like a highway". Must say they were correct - compared to the Clyde and Brown mountain passes I learnt to drive on it was a absolute pleasure to drive. Even 17 years ago (well before current improvements) we could not figure out what all the fuss was about. Would I choose to drive it in bad weather - No. After a clear day and with a clear forecast and bit of preparation (make sure you have supplies just in case) then go for it, the scenery is spectacular.