Question Planning a trip to Thredbo

Discussion in 'Thredbo' started by Arnaud, Oct 13, 2016.

Arnaud

Arnaud Just Registered

Hi,

I would like to try ski in Australia next year with my wife and my 4yo.
    I have direct flights from my home to Canberra, Sydney and Melbourne. Then, my understanding is Thredbo is the closest from one of these airports?
    Found several shuttle options on the Thredbo website: 2h30 commute, not bad.

Also, I found there a ski school for my son named Thredboland (seems like it's the only one in town?)
    I'm looking for an accommodation walking distance from their daily pickup/dropoff point. Doesnt anyone know if it's at the school itself or if it's somewhere else?

Any other recommendation, things To inow that could help or trap to avoid while planning is more than welcome :)

Thank you,

Arnaud

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
    gareth_oau

gareth_oau Old And Crusty Season Pass Gold

Hi Arnaud.

Canberra is by far the closest and easiest to Thredbo.

For accommodation, it really depends on your budget and tastes - it can be incredibly expensive, especially peak season and school holidays.

Can you give us an idea of your timing, budget and tastes?

The beginner area, and where Thredboland is located is called Friday Flat.

Accommodation closest to that is located in the areas called Woodridge 2 or Woodridge. The closest hotel is called The River Inn.

If your budget isnt too great, you could consider staying in the local town called Jindabyne, which is a 30 minute easy drive to Thredbo.

However, you would need to think about renting a hire car from Canberra Airport instead of catching a shuttle bus down.

:thumbs: Arnaud likes this.
    Townsend

Townsend Active Member Season Pass Silver

Welcome Arnaud

Just a couple of things:

1. it would be better if you came a little later in the season eg late July or August as you would then have the best chance of having good snow.
    2. there is a continuous free bus service from the main village to Friday Flat where Thredboland is located so it is not essential that you
    stay near that area. Btw most kids love Thredboland!

Great to hear you are planning to come to Thredbo.

rugbyskier

rugbyskier Dedicated Member

Arnaud, it sounds like you are coming from Singapore. The Singapore Airlines flight arrives in Canberra at 0835 and there are a number of bus services from Canberra to Thredbo, including Murrays, Greyhound and Sno Express. Snowy Mountains Shuttles also have minivan shuttle services from Canberra. If you can coordinate the bus services with your flight you should arrive in Thredbo around lunch time, giving you time for a couple of hours on the snow that afternoon if you want.

mauricem

mauricem Active Member

Cool name for a kid;)

:thumbs: Annitowa, Froff Life and Arnaud like this.
    Arnaud

Arnaud Just Registered

Thank you Gareth_oau, Townsend and Rugbyskier.

Indeed, I'll be coming from Singapore! :))) Dates are 10 nights first half of July. I see the classes can be up to 7 days, do they start a specific day of the week or not really?

I'd like to have a convenient and spacious accommodation but it all seems to be very expensive and I'm on a budget. Driving is something I'd like to avoid due to the snow so for us it will be either walking distance to Friday flat or next to the shuttle station that takes you there from the main village.

Ideally we want something recent, with a separate room and a kitchen area so we dont have to go eat at the restaurant everyday. Something in the $300/$350 per night would be great. Can be hotel or rental, we dont mind.

Again thank you,

Arnaud

LMB

LMB Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

Arnaud, may I ask why you chose Thredbo to come to ski from Singapore?

Don't misunderstand I love Thredbo, and even though I live in Perth I consider it my home mountain but from Singapore there are so many directions you can go that would take you to cheaper more snowy and less busy locations.

Is it the attraction of skiing in Australia (if so, Thredbo is an awesome choice), or adding skiing to an already coming anyway trip?

Are you regular skiers, or is it a new sport for your family?

Arnaud

Arnaud Just Registered

Morning Lady Mamabear,

Well, it seems to be one of the most convenient from Singapore unless I missed something:
    - hakuba (japan) is 7h of flight + 6h of commute
    - niseko (japan) is 10h of flight + 3h of commute
    - yongpyong (korea) is the closest with 6h30 of flight + 2h30 of commute but the ski season is ending in February so the dates dont suit us
    - queenstown (nz) is 13h by flight (no direct flight) + 1h of commute

So Thredbo seems to be the best for us with 7h30 of flight + 2h30 of commute. Does that make sense?

Yes, ski is new to my wife and son (3rd time for her and 2nd for him) and they will be taking classes.
    Not new for me, been skiing several times per year since I'm a kid, but I guess I'll still be taking group classes too as I dont want to ski alone every day...

skichic

skichic Addicted Member

You'll so much more value for money, convenience and not to mention snow quality if you go to Japan. If this is a ski holiday, there's no comparison.

hotsaki

hotsaki Dedicated Member Season Pass Silver

I sense danger and danger.First half of July could be jinxing the snow gods.Murphy`s law of the snow states that the further you come to ski the more likely there will be little snow.I well remember friends in Darwin driving to Falls Creek early July, thats about 1700km, and NO snow.I warned them when they booked.Next year I took them to Thredbo in August and there was plenty.Of course the irony of all this is we no longer ski Australia,we fly Darwin-Singapore-Japan!!!

:thumbs: LMB and Arnaud like this.
    Arnaud

Arnaud Just Registered

Thanks, Japan's resorts seem higher in altitude indeed so I can imagine that the snow is better there. I'll prob be the only one who cares between my son and wife lol. Unless you tell me that there is a risk that there will be no snow in Thredbo early july?

In terms of price, seems very equivalent with Japan. Accommodation is expensive in both cases. But the commute is what makes it complicated. It seems the main difference between the 2 is that Thredbo infrastructure is aging while Japan is very modern.

Also, I need to take 2 weeks off in July so Australia would have made it convenient. Not sure we can take the days off in April for Japan.

I guess I'll reconsider Japan if I cant find a suitable accomodation in Thredbo.

Again thank you all for your advices. Really appreciate!

telecrag

telecrag Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

Hoges must be rolling in his grave, with Lara.

:thumbs: skichic likes this.
    Arnaud

Arnaud Just Registered

So which resort in japan you go to and how do you commute from the airport?
    Also my concern was about finding english speaking classes for my son in japan. All I found are private lessons which I cant afford...

Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

Interesting numbers. The Singapore - Canberra flight makes a real difference. I wonder if the Australian resorts have twigged to this potential market?

LMB

All the larger Japanese resorts have English lessons available, many have English group lessons. You won't go wrong with
    Hakuba
    Shiga Kogen
    Myoko Kogen
    Nozawa Onsen
    Niseko
    Rusutsu
    Kiroro
    Club Med Sahoro
    ...for a start -there are many more.

The advantages would be softer snow, less crowded, less expensive over all than Australia, bullet trains :thumbs:

July can be marginal in Australia - I've done school holiday July many times, sometimes the snow was great, sometimes it was only artificial snow and the Kosi chair wasn't even open it was so marginal.

NSW and WA school holidays are 1st to 17th July '17 - those dates you will find the resorts at full capacity with full lessons, full Thredboland. You might enjoy the busyness of it all - but it's worth considering.

Having said that the conditions might be great, which means people are more spread out across the mountain because everything is open, so the crowds don't feel so bad. It's just a gamble.

skichic

skichic Addicted Member

Yes there is a chance that you will be skiing on man made snow only in early July. While it seems easy from Canberra to Thredbo, that's only if you have a car. There are at the most 2-3 options for bus travel between Canberra airport and Thredbo, so if your flights don't line up, you could be spending a night in Canberra. Tokyo - Hakuba is easy, numerous buses and trains every day. If you are also wanting kangaroos, koalas and emus, by all means ski in Australia. If you're locked into July have you considered New Zealand?

Lucky I don't work in Tourism hey? ;)

skichic

skichic Addicted Member

You come to Australia for the best beaches in the world, not the skiing ;)

telecrag

That would be Western Australia, which is a different country with no snow!

Arnaud

Arnaud Just Registered

Lol ok you guys make me doubt now.

If Japan, the only time I could do is April and it is the very end of their season. A lot is closed already and I fear not to have snow anymore. I feel like the risk is as high in april-japan than in july-australia... but maybe I'm wrong.

Re the commute to Hakuba, it seems like it isnt as easy as that: you have to transfer 2 times (city center and Then Nagano) whether you flight to Narita or Nagoya... with a 4yo and after a 10h flight I'd like a simple commute...

Yes we considered NZ (Queenstown), but no direct flight unless I land further and then have a longer commute.Kind of far for us... but that was my wife's preference by far! Would it really worth it? Flight makes it expensive too though.

telecrag

Skiing in Australia is, so far as everyone tells me, the most expensive in the world. Im pretty local, so its not for me. I would say that for an OS visitor, its more about the experience of being in Australia. There is always something to do and see, if the skiing is not so great.

Your budget for accommodation could be an issue in school holidays, but I have stayed at a place in Thredbo for $2500 for 10 nights, that would suit a small family (kids would be in the loft on foldouts, and the bathroom was an ensuite), so I know it is possible.

Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

Hello Arnaud,
    It would be much better to go in August if you wish to visit Thredbo. IMO
    Some years early July can have little snow, some years great snow, it's just a risk. August much safer bet.
    You can see from this link which shows yearly snow depths.
    http://southeastprinting.com.au/snowdepth-chart/

If considering April for Japan, fly into Sapporo and ski in Hokkaido. IMO safer bet as well.

skichic

skichic Addicted Member

Queensland is up there and it's warm :p

telecrag

^not even close!

LMB

LOL

^This^

Yes April is Spring conditions in Japan. But unlike July in Thredbo there will be loads of available accomodation for a last minute booking (so you can see how the snow is going before you book), lift passes are discounted, and you will literally have the ski slopes to yourselves - erm, you might have to share with one or two other people.

rugbyskier

Good one guys, way to go promoting Australia to foreign tourists :mad:

rugbyskier

Arnaud is precisely the person that the new Singapore Airlines flights to Canberra are wanting to attract and you mob of f-wits go and talk him out of it.

I'm speechless with anger.

rugbyskier

Has it dawned on any of you idiots that as beginners there will be plenty of snow on Friday Flat and Merritts for Arnaud and his family to enjoy and the village atmosphere, eucalypt trees, wombats, kangaroos and snow of Thredbo will be a different experience for someone from Singapore? No, thought not.

rugbyskier

BTW, I have just gotten back from being a pall bearer for my cousin who died from cancer and am not in the mood to suffer fools.

Arnaud

Arnaud Just Registered

Thanks Rugbyskier, Thredbo still has my preference if it can make you feel better ;-)

:thumbs: gareth_oau and Froff Life like this.
    sixty_eight

sixty_eight Dedicated Member

Perisher is also an equal option to Thredbo. You can stay in accommodation that is upstairs in the Ski School building, but really a commercial lodge such as Peer Gynt can give you breakfast and dinner included in the price, and transport you to and from the Ski School area each day. And it is so much nicer staying in a cosy lodge surrounded by nothing but snow and trees. And you get to share stories with other like minded people around the open fire at night time. The Smiggins area of Perisher also has a Ski School that you can walk to from your accommodation, and it is a nice self contained area.

First half of July coincides with NSW School Holidays which means prices are higher than if it was the second half of July, and accommodation may be harder to find.

LMB

I'm sorry that you've had an awfully emotional day rugbyskier. That's not optimal.

But we are not fools and not idiots and we are just being as honest with Arnaud as possible. As I would like someone to be with me regarding a ski area that I'm unfamiliar with.

I adore Thredbo.
    And come every year from Perth which probably costs just as much. Personally I think he should do it, but I think he should book with his eyes open, and not discount Japan for other family holidays.

:thumbs: Arnaud and Froff Life like this.
    snowduck

snowduck Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

Suggest Karas Apartments.

https://www.thredbo.com.au/accommodation/karas-apartments/

hotsaki

Personally as a F`wit, fool and idiot I was just concerned that Arnoud would come all that way and be dissapointed.Bummer for a regular skier to be skiing Friday Flat on manmade.Me too feeling down,lost a close mate to cancer last week.Friday nights will no longer be the same.

:thumbs: Kletterer likes this.
    Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

Arnaud ... don't stuff around with those poky NSW resorts...

Flights in to Hotham Airport and then 5mins to Dinner Plain or another 5mins to Hotham...
    then NSW dudes are screwing with your head...Vicco the place to be seen in the snow .

You will only get caught in the Booze Bus queue just out of Jindy....
    and none of that miniature train stuff either down in Vicco...:eek:
    and don't mention landslips to the kids which is what Thredbo is famous for....
    and always the possibility of a little scenic flight for the kids over to FallsCreek in about 5mins too.....

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
    Arnaud

Arnaud Just Registered

From my point of view:

- Japan has better infrastructure but commute is more complicated
    - Risk level with snow quality is as high in both locations if I go first half of april to japan or first half of july in Thredbo
    - Total trip cost will be the same as long as I find an accommodation in Thredbo within my budget

So from my perspective, it's all gonna depend on the accommodation I'll find in Thredbo within my budget

My preference with Thredbo is also related to the fact that it would give us the opportunity to visit Sydney or Melbourne for a few days after the ski trip. I could fly in to Canberra and fly out from one of these two cities

:thumbs: telecrag likes this.
    Arnaud

Arnaud Just Registered

Thx, will look into Hotham as well, never heard of it.

LMB

Then just do it.

As long as you are aware of the snowfall risks and happy to enjoy whatever conditions you get. I've had an awesome time in Thredbo with no snow - it's got a great village vibe.

Ubiquitous Steve is stirring a bit I think. Of all the resorts Hotham is the one I would suggest you leave until you are chasing black runs.

bluess57

bluess57 Active Member

Have you considered hiring a car from Canberra ?
    Opens up accommodation options like staying in Jindabyne, which would be cheaper than staying in Thredbo itself.
    Getting to supermarket in Jindabyne if self catering, going to movies, if weather is rubbish.
    A drive to Sydney from Canberra (3hrs) for a couple of days at end of trip.
    Return to Canberra, drop car, and catch the Singapore flight home.

BTW, I live in Canberra, so any questions, feel free to ask.

Arnaud

Arnaud Just Registered

Thanks Bluess57.

I've had bad experiences in the past with driving in the snow. Getting a headache now just by thinking about having to put the snow chains lol

I hate driving, I dont want to be in a place where I have to drive for everything: ski school, grocery, restaurant, etc. Prefer being in a small village with everything accessible.

Plus I hear that Thredbo is bad for parking!

I dont mind driving from Canberra to Sydney, but dont want to drive on a daily basis. Am not a taxi lol ;-)))

snowduck

snowduck Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

Extremely unlikely you'll need chains into Thredbo, if coming down from Canberra

LMB

Thredbo is super simple to drive to. The roads are awesome.
    If you need chains (rare) it will not be for long, and you'll know in advance that it is likely. And it also means it is puking snow which will mean the whole mountain should be open which will spread the people out, which is the best possible result. If snow is in the forecast hire a 4WD. Often it's only 2WDs that need chains, in 11 years I've driven through snow but never had to put chains on my 4WD. Close...but not yet.

A lot of accomodations have a parking spot, so that makes it easier. Yes the day parking in busy school holidays can be full and difficult to find a spot. But if you have a park with your accomodation you are laughing!

bluess57

bluess57 Active Member

It's not a common occurrence that chains would be required to drive into Thredbo. The road is low in the valley.
    If it does happen, happy days since there has been plenty of low level snow.
    Plenty of day parking in Thredbo only a short walk to the Friday Flats area.
    Sorry don't know about the overnight situation, I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem.
    Understandable about not wanting to be the daily Taxi service, it's a holiday after all.

skichic

skichic Addicted Member

There is also an airport at Cooma, flights in and out of Sydney only. I believe there are then shuttles direct to the resorts from Cooma airport. Flights are operated by rex.com.au

gareth_oau

gareth_oau Old And Crusty Season Pass Gold

Don't be put off by having to drive. There is a very high probability that road conditions will be very good and the drive to Thredbo is all beliw the snowline.

You'll find the accommodation in Jindabyne can be about half of The Thredbo pricing.

Even if tou do stay in Thredbo a car will offer more flexibility and options if you want to try Perisher or have a rest day in Jindabyne.

Budget on a car at around $80 per day.

Arnaud

Arnaud Just Registered

Thanks guys. Will check out car rental as well as cooma flights!

Zimboo

Zimboo Addicted Member

Unfortunetly its not that simple.
    a) Need to make sure the car hire company lets you drive the car to Thredbo (some don't).
    b) Once finding the car hire company, you will need to pay (the extra above snowline driving insurance = + $30 per day for the duration of the rental).
    c) Need to hire chains in Jindabyne for the week (+$60 for the week) before driving to Thredbo. (all cars must carry chains in car always).

Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

In spite of persistent false rumours cars driving to Thredbo are not required to carry chains. That does not mean it is not a good idea.

LMB

hotsaki

Hi Arnoud.You say you have been skiiing several times a year since you were a kid.Europe,Canada,US?

Astro66

Astro66 Still looking for a park in Thredbo

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who come to this site asking for information about "X" and everyone talks about "Y". I absolutely get your rage RS. Don't apologize for it.

To answer Arnaud. The snow is risky early July at Thredbo. But as beginners there is less expectations. You can always commute to Perisher if it's a particularly bad year. So keep your transport options open.

You will love skiing in Australia. Too many people forget how awesome any snow was when they began skiing. Enjoy Thredbo. :thumbs:

BTW. If you see parking whilst you're there. Take a photo. :D

:thumbs: Lady Penelope, Arnaud and telecrag like this.