Pet Friendly Accommodation Thredbo or Perisher

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by HappyGirl, Mar 26, 2012.

HappyGirl

HappyGirl Dedicated Member

Hello! Australian residents are really "Beep"?

Do you want to bring your little animal with you?
    Bogong

Bogong Addicted Member

Happy Girl, you have to remember that ski resorts in Tasmania and NSW are actually inside national parks. That means no pets (except for a very few exemptions for select permanent residents).

If you want to have a pet at a ski resort, try Victoria where all ski resorts are outside parks and are run by their own management boards... except for Dinner Plain which is on freehold land, so it has even less restrictions. [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
    HappyGirl

HappyGirl Dedicated Member

That's why I put it out there. So many people ask if little "oscar" can come and stay with the family?

I'm amazed at how many Australian's don't know!?! [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
    The Plowking

The Plowking Addicted Member

As a serious aside, what about Jindi in winter?
    Accom that is.
    I like my dog.
    Shrek

Shrek Old And Crusty Moderator

Certain things amaze me too. Did you know the apostophe before the 's' denotes ownership and is not used with plurals in that way?
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
    currawong

currawong Part of the Furniture Season Pass Holder

[​IMG]

what a great post to start the week shrek
    Apresski

Apresski Old And Crusty Season Pass Holder

Shrek, if you are on a mission to correct people's grammar, just take a trip over to CV and get started on Snowroo [​IMG]
    the_guru

the_guru Dedicated Member

Leave the dog at home I reckon! There's enough wild dogs in the bush if you need some dog love!!
    Shrek

Shrek Old And Crusty Moderator

That one caught my eye, but i will take on board your recomendation when i have a moment.
    DaveT

DaveT Active Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
    dawooduck

dawooduck Old And Crusty

I have no idea what the Happy Girl is on about but Bimblegumbie or Dinner Plain are pet friendly. Also Jindabyne has a massive range of accommodation some of which is pet friendly.
    cqen2l

cqen2l Addicted Member

Fixed for you ducky. [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
    Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Addicted Member Season Pass Holder

[​IMG]
    BoofHead

BoofHead Active Member

This thread reminded me of my time in Canada. Beatiful white snow on the walking tracks at Whistler littered with dog cr@p. and a barking dog locked in a room at a hostel we were staying at while the owners went out late every night.

Love dogs but some owners a a PITA
    Piste Again

Piste Again Dedicated Member

I'm not a dog person but I can't see why you'd want to take a dog to the snow unless it was a farmstay or something similar.

1 - you're up first thing and off to ski all day, leaving the dog locked up somewhere.
    2 - you get back from the snow and spend half an hour with it before getting changed and heading out for the night. Dog locked up again.
    3 - back late at night, a quick pat and off to bed. Dog presumably still locked in room.

Great holiday for the animal! I guess you could take it in turns to hang out with the dog while everyone else goes off sliding - I can see people queueing up for that job, especially if you're staying off-snow and the dogsitting job goes all day.

Surely the dog would have a better time left at home with a housesitter or in a kennel with other animals to hang out with during the day.

We manage to leave the cat, the fish, the stick insects, the tadpoles and the budgies at home when we go on holidays. It's better than locking them in a room somewhere for most of the day.
    currawong

when i still lived in Melbourne, we brought the dogs with us when we came for weekends, but not longer trips. we skied nearly every weekend and didn't want to leave the dogs that often. we had our own van in the valley. Friday night, one of us would get out of the car and walk the dogs the last km or so to the caravan park. Walk dogs again in morning then leave tied up in annex. Another walk after skiing, then spend the evening with them in the van. Repeat the next day then drive home. Dogs treated it like another home and were happy.

I like taking dogs on holidays when feasible. That rules out most accommodation, national parks, hot weather. We still usually manage 1 dog holiday a year.
    Lady Mamabear

Lady Mamabear Part of the Furniture

No way we could take our dogs anywhere! As retired racers they are used to being handled and very friendly, but they are their own boss. I have tried to teach our old male to sit for 4 years...FAIL. And if the gate is open and no lead attached - see ya!
    They are totally on their own programme.

The pup however is learning. She is picking up some of their bad habits, but she is also learning to sit, come, stay and generally behave herself. Maybe once the old ones are gone and she behaves I would contemplate taking dogs on certain types of holiday (not to the snow though), but for now it is a booking at our mates kennel, where they are deliriously happy.
    currawong

one of my dogs is pretty good off lead, the other is dreadful and is never let off the lead unless we are in a secure enclosure. doesn't stop them coming on holidays. most places they are both on leads
    scottski

scottski Dedicated Member

We would love to take the dogs to the snow however we can't get snow tyres in the right size.

[​IMG]
    Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room

"I like my dog" - Yeah, but I just leave her locked in the car while I go skiing for a day [​IMG]
    Apresski

Apresski Old And Crusty Season Pass Holder

Not everyone lives such a busy life at the snow LOL. Never take the dog to the snow as it's in a national park and not allowed, but if I could I would. We come back to the apartment at lunchtime and are there most evenings for dinner, pretty much like home really.
    Little Tiger

Little Tiger New Member

We will take our dog... because he wants to learn to skijor

Having said that he will probably not go alpine skiing as we would not like to leave him alone that long in the car. The Nordic centre and alpine resort share a boundary.
    damian

damian Addicted Member

I live in the snow, as in 200cm out the front door. I ski almost every day. I have a dog.

Skiing and snow isn't just a holiday, it is also a life. And life goes on, including having a dog.

There should be far more dog-friendly accommodation in Australia, as there is in Europe.
    currawong

Falls Creek allows permanent residents to have dogs, but not visitors or seasonal workers. There are/have been some great doggie characters around the village.
    Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Dedicated Member

Bears quite like dogs especially if they can fetch things like six pack of rum/coke from general store.
    Bears only have trouble with "Parks-Dogma"

[​IMG]
    Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Dedicated Member

Bears quite like dogs especially if they can fetch things like six pack of rum/coke from general store.
    Bears only have trouble with "Parks-Dogma"

[​IMG]
    Piste Again

Piste Again Dedicated Member

Lucky bastard...

Your situation is a bit different to a family doing the burn out of Sydney on Friday night, ski and party for 2 days and drive home afterwards. The dog would probably rather stay home in those circumstances.

When we had a dog we used to take it camping if we happened to go to a pet-friendly place, but that's a bit different because the dog can join in what you're doing. Not many dogs can ski.
    JoeKing

JoeKing Addicted Member Season Pass Holder

I dunno, I know a few 'shepards that would be up for it.