Perks for Buller's CE

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by teckel, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Te same problems will remain and everyone will be complaining about the new agency being as bad as the last one.

Hully likes this.
  2. Seth

Seth Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

We need to remove the thinking that our resorts are something special and that they need special people to run them.

Put them in the council and do it like the rest of the world.

dibl0c, Chaeron, CarveMan and 4 others like this.
  3. Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

People will still complain but hopefully it will be less of a cost burden for our ski industry. Alpine Shire has a handful of towns, a number of villages, one of the fastest growing tourist/event towns (Bright) in the country, 100s (1,000s) km roads etc etc that it manages with a $30million approx budget.....Falls and Hotham are $11million approx each!

Cuppa likes this.
  4. Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

Hear, hear.....it ain't 'rocket surgery'!

Cuppa likes this.
  5. crackson

crackson Addicted Member
    30 Day Pass

Give them to Spotless.

6. DbSki

DbSki Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

I suspect that the result will be increased regulation of and from RMB, an increase in RMB staff to manage it, and a complete overhaul and modernisation of "athletes walk"

gaz35 and Hully like this.
  7. emkae

emkae Active Member
    Season Pass Gold

8. wolly

wolly Dedicated Member

below is cut and paste from ski club of victorias facebook page....

Mt Buller Mt Stirling Resort Management CEO announces departure

Mt Buller Mt Stirling Resort Management Board CEO, John Huber, has today advised the Board and staff of his decision to seek his next career challenge and to resign from his position after 7.5 years of service leading the resorts.

Speaking about his time with the organisation, Mr Huber said: “The decision to leave the Resorts after more than 7.5 years certainly has not come lightly and is one that I had been contemplating for some time.

“I deeply care for our resorts and my passion for them is such that I know for them to continue to evolve, they will need to have new and fresh ideas and energy brought into them, just as I as a leader need to continue to have fresh and new challenges to conquer.

“While the decision and my departure from these resorts and this organisation has and will be very hard for me, it is also very exciting as it enables me to open the next chapter of my story and Mt Buller and Mt Stirling to start to write its next chapter as well.

“I have been enormously proud to be part of our two great resorts and it has been my pleasure to lead them through a significant time of progress and innovation.

“I will leave the organisation reflecting on the significant achievements of Mt Buller Mt Stirling Resort Management’s talented team. These achievements include the development and implementation of the Mt Buller Resorts Master Plan; the efforts towards financial sustainability; and the significant private and public investment and capital development programs which have led to the creation of world class guest facilities, and the worldwide recognition received for our hero products and events, specifically our leading edge work in the mountain biking area.

“The Mt Buller and Mt Stirling resorts are a story of success, and will continue to be a key economic contributor to the state and regional economies now and into the future.

“Change is always hard but the challenges of change also bring opportunity and it is with that in mind that I believe that the future injection of new energy and leadership into the organisation and resorts will provide great opportunity for the Resorts to prosper and go to the next level.

“The Board, management and staff are dedicated tourism and hospitality professionals and it has been my pleasure to lead them.”

Mr Huber will finish at the end of the month and over the next few weeks will be working with the Board, Executive team and key stakeholders on a range of transitional arrangements.

Acting Chair of the Mt Buller and Mt Stirling Resort Management Board, Jacqui Jennings said:

“We are very proud of the achievements, growth and success that the resorts have experienced over the years, and John’s leadership has been key to those successes. During John’s leadership the Mt Buller and Mt Stirling Alpine Resorts have developed an enviable international reputation both as a ski destination in winter and as an event, mountain biking and trail running destination throughout the remainder of the year. His commitment to the Alpine Strategy and determination to provide excellence in delivery has been unwavering. We wish John all the best for his future endeavours and thank him for his 7.5 years of service.

“We will commence the recruitment for a CEO immediately and will be working with the executive team and staff to ensure that the resorts are ready to welcome their first visitors for winter 2017.”

Mt Buller Mt Stirling Resort Management
    Alpine Central
    Mt Buller VIC 3723
    03 5777 6077
    info@mtbuller.com.au

9. Seth

Seth Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

10. teckel

teckel Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

So off rides John Huber into the sunset to a job where remuneration far exceeds $200k and comes with luxury holidays around the world. At that rate, we'd all be on the dole! ;)

11. wolly

wolly Dedicated Member

would you employ him?

12. Seth

Seth Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

A quick Google search would make you wonder.

13. teckel

teckel Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Nup. No one would in their right mind. That's why he's got the dole to look forward to.

14. Chaeron

Chaeron Active Member
    Season Pass Gold

Aren't Parks VIC looking for a new CEO?

15. Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

No, he was ripping off the Mt Buller skiers, stakeholders and visitors, the Victorian taxpayer and those who are genuinely committed to the Australian ski industry. His commitment was not beyond exploiting the public purse to his personal benefit. The Victorian Ombudsman has made that clear and the fact that this crap had been released as an official MBMSRMB communication is abhorrent and reflects that remaining board and executive continue to thumb their noses at stakeholders, taxpayers and public governance regulators. This is a disgrace....sadly given my experience with another RMB it doesn't surprise me.

16. Seth

Seth Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Why wouldn't you think it's a personal fiefdom?

The sooner the RMB's are abolished the better.

Cuppa, Nude twister, Chaeron and 2 others like this.
  17. Nude twister

Nude twister Just Registered

It's clear from the Boards response in regards this ridiculous press release via the Ski club of Vic that they neither agree with the Ombudsmans findings nor want to implement those recommendations.
    The Minister in her press release stated quite clearly that all recommendations should be addressed by the board.
    The Boards suggestion that the last 7.5 years have been a " success " shows they as a group should have all been stood down not just the Chair.
    The list of accomplishments are nothing but a smoke screen .
    Dig deep enough and you can easily see millions of dollars gone from the resorts coffers to prop up a sport that is easily more elitist than skiing.
    The push for mountain biking over summer has been a dismal failure as no business can open outside of the ski season without running at a loss.
    The riders who do visit have world class trails paid for by the taxpayers and they get it all for free ! We now see that the resorts basic infrastructure ( water, sewage) has been so neglected that the resort may be forced to shut during winter when the real mountain users need it most.
    The Buller Stirling management boards have been so eager to get their free ski jackets and lift passes,
    To attend the state funded cocktail parties and the like that they just don't want to know what's really going on.
    If the Board thinks that they have done a good job God help them.
    If the minister thinks it will all go away she should think again.
    The figure of $ 80,000 of miss appropriation is extremely light on when you look closely, FOI requests will unlock the stuff the Board wants never to be seen , so bring it on this is only the beginning!

BillyKidd, soda, DbSki and 3 others like this.
  18. Madski

Madski Active Member

Any word on the Property Manager or the CFO?

19. telecrag

telecrag Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

If that is true, its amazing mismanagement. Its already breaking even, or at profit in most areas that have invested. In fact private MTB parks are starting to spring up all over the place. Zero public funding. They would not be doing that if it doesn't work.

Buller will be the first major that has to rely totally on man made snow. At some point businesses that don't open in summer, will not be able to operate at a profit.

20. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

The only way to keep winter affordable is to create summer visitation. I have no idea how successful MTB at buller is, but something had to be tried.
    MTB and running are transforming FallsCreek in summer. It's a slow process. No idea if any more accomm places are opening, but it seems that more food places are open more often. They are creating a buzz rather than the old ghost town feel. Apparently the shuttles were sold out over easter. The summit chair was running and lots of groups do their shuttling using their own vehicles.

The buller board and mgt have apprently done a lot of dodgey things. Trying to create summer business is unlikely to be one of them

Chaeron likes this.
  21. teckel

teckel Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Some years back all Vic resorts were told they had to develop self-sustaining summer visitation. A helluva lot easier said than done. I think the govt has backed down on that directive.

currawong likes this.
  22. Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

It is far from the only way. Removing unnecessary cost driven by a ridiculously expensive "resort management" model is an important way to keep winter affordable. I am a mountain biker and being just over 30 mins away enjoy the trails at Falls Creek, however, it is being heavily subsidised by winter visitors....as are all other RMB facilitated events. I would suggest that if it was about making skiing cheaper the most cost effective model would be to fully mothball the resort out of the winter season.

Nude twister and CarveMan like this.
  23. telecrag

Season Pass Gold

Thredbo is doing very well out of mtb. So why not Buller? You don't, as a private company, spend millions on new trails, and double your mtb fleet, if you are not making a profit. The 'taxpayer' and winter visitor do not subsidise it.

At Falls they may be, they do not run a lift, its new, and I have no idea what arrangement there is with Blue Dirt.

24. telecrag

Season Pass Gold

Oh yeah, Thredbo has plans to open another lift in summer, just saying.

25. skinavy

skinavy Dedicated Member

Agree, was at Thredbo for Easter and the village was nearly as busy then as winter. The queue to buy lift passes stretched across the bridge and down Friday Dve on Saturday morning and there was an hour and half wait to get a table in T Bar on Saturday night. Every shop was open.

benchives likes this.
  26. Nude twister

Nude twister Just Registered

Easter is the busiest holiday of the year bar none! That goes for every destination Australia wide.
    Apart from organised events over summer and Boxing Day to New Year's Day Mtn bikes are still thin on the ground.
    With so many other bike destinations available it's a very competitive market, throw in the distance from Melb and the gamble with the weather then there needs to be a big increase in people taking up the sport to get real increases in numbers.
    If I were a cross country MTB rider from Melb I would be spending my summer weekends at somewhere like the Otways, with the surf and beach as a bonus to the biking.
    People have far more choices for MTB activities where snow sports have only a few destinations.
    The push for summer is a noble thought but the focus should not be taken away from who pays the Bills now.
    Culturally Australians always have spent summer at the beach and winter in the snow for their recreation, I don't see that changing no matter how many over enthusiastic MTB people would argue otherwise.

27. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend
    Season Pass Gold

Gravity MTB will be where it's at for the next decade. Destination riding is BIG*.
    If you think Thredbo is only busy at Easter you should get out more. Make it family-friendly and get in the people.

*As an example I have a group of mates leaving their home trails for four days over ANZAC to ride Victoria, basically a day at a town - Bright, Falls, etc. Buller was on the list.... They are devo'd (and confused as to why) Buller has shut the lift on a 'LWE' weekend. I live at the beach and will be going to Thredbo for four days, driven by the riding and their pricing structure.

crackson, telecrag and currawong like this.
  28. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

The australian preference for summer beach holidays is not going to go away, but there is a gradual increase in people choosing cycling holidays in or near the mountains. Certainly true in Mt Beauty and Bright. Anecdotally we thought Buller was doing even better because of proximity to Melbourne and chairlift running more frequently. There is no doubt that mountain biking is a huge boon to Thredbo.

Chaeron likes this.
  29. teckel

teckel Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

MTB riders are a little like cross-country skiers though. They come self-sufficient. They take packed lunches on the trails, camp in tents and spend very little locally. Sure, the city stores that supply their gear do well out of them, but their destinations don't make much. I know. Lots of mountain bikers up here in the summer - they have 2 downhill tracks within 5 minutes of me, the Buxton park 10mins from me, and Lake Mountain 30 mins away. I'm lucky if I can sell them a bottle of water.

#179 teckel, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  30. Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

There is no doubt about this @climberman 100% agree. Mt Beauty has 6 established quality MTB parks within 1 hrs drive and MTBing is definitely driving a heap of summer visitation, it has been good for my business the past couple of years. Locally a big focus is on Bright because as a holiday destination it has the name and also has the beds. The trouble is that only one of the 6 MTB parks has paid trail maintenance staff, paid 1st aid trail patrol etc and that is the ski resort based MTB park. Our alpine resorts are overlaying a ski industry (ie high cost) model to MTBing and I question whether it is sustainable without the current significant winter visitor generated revenue subsidy. The big difference is that a Victorian ski resort is only competing during the southern winter with a handful of other ski resorts that can provide a snow product, with MTBing they are competing with a great number of comparable destinations and many are closer to population centres.
    An interesting point is that Mt Beauty hosted a round of the Vic Enduro series and a round of the National DH series early this year. Apart from event 1st Aid all personnel were unpaid.....this includes trail building/prepartion, event coordination, marshalling, venue setup etc. Compare that to the National Enduro series round being held at Falls Creek this weekend.

currawong likes this.
  31. telecrag

Season Pass Gold

Whilst some do camp, any weekend in Thredbo will see bikes hanging off balconies, in fact bike storage is a problem, with the average price of a bike being 5-10K, people want them in their unit. I have been watching it grow at Thredbo for over 10 years, it is exploding right now.

The pub is full at lunch. Avalanche is doing extremely well out of it, and has really noticed the difference.

Will it get like Whistler? I doubt it, Parks won't allow that kind of scale.

In a way it is like winter, peak period is xmas through all of January. Easter. Every weekend is busy, but weekdays not so much.

Just because it works well in one place, does not mean it will in another I guess. When I looked at going skiing at Buller, it seemed way more expensive, and complicated than NSW. It really turned me off. I will quite likely bike there before skiing, if I ever do.

Bright was awesome, regular weekend, the place was packed with cyclists of all genres, the shuttle was booked out. Was it always like that, before the Hero drawcard?

skinavy, currawong and Hully like this.
  32. Seth

Seth Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

How is that different to any other event?

The overwhelming majority of local and state based events are run on the support of volunteer staff. Road, CX, MTB it doesn't matter. It's always volunteers making it happen.

33. climberman

Season Pass Gold

Gravity / destination riders don't, at the resort destination (in this case that would be Buller). I guess this is what I'm trying to say. I ride at Thredbo and regionally buy take away, fuel, daily food, occasional camping supplies and bits of clothing. The boys I'm talking about above are 30-something's with quality disposable incomes. They eat, drink, refuel, beer, ect.

A resort based lift / shuttle setup with a wide range of riding will always do better than a DH track in the bush.

If you then grow that to families....

34. telecrag

Season Pass Gold

We had lunch and beer at Crackenback after the TVT, we were not alone, and wouldn't have been on a normal weekend.

35. climberman

Season Pass Gold

Same problem as Thredbo, but even Hotham is two hours closer to Melbs than KT is to Sydney.

Check out Blue Tiers and Maydena in Tassie. They are in Tassie FFS! Hardly going to only rely on Hobart.

Don't think of a ride destination like Bright / Thredbo / Buller as being like a local xc area or a country DH track. Worlds apart.

36. Seth

Seth Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

It all depends on the set up. Mirimbah General Store would do pretty well from the MTB's.

If you are on your way to Lake Mountain there is nothing to make you want to stop in Narbethong. You are pretty much it. If there is no need for your wares you just keep on going to the destination.

37. Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

Sorry, I agree with you....my point that I might have poorly made is that the Enduro Round at Falls Creek this weekend will be predominately prepared and run by paid RMB staff, a cost being underwritten by winter visitors. I was just using the Team Mt Beauty events as a point of comparison. The resort summer event model is a cost against the winter visitor.

38. Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

In Mt Beauty we do well off MTBers....in fact probably better than we do off the perceived or real more cashed up demographic of road cyclists.

39. teckel

teckel Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Not quite. a) I'm the only outdoor store in the region (also selling drinks, icecreams, pies, chocolate bars etc) b) Quite a few road bikers park in my car park or opposite in the public toilet car park. They demount their bike, ride off into the yonder, and a few hours return to their cars. If I'm lucky, I sell them a bottle of water. c) I'm also the closest shop of any description to the 2 downhill tracks.

I think the difference may be that it's an easy day trip as opposed to Mt Beauty which definitely isn't and even Mirimbah/Buller area.

Chaeron and currawong like this.
  40. Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

Agree with all of that....I'm a massive supporter of, and believer in, MTB tourism. It seems that at any one time this summer 2/3 of my local network of friend/aquaintances were in Japan, Derby, Tathra, Thredbo or Rotorua.
    When do you think trail fees will hit the seen, and I'm not talking lift or shuttle fees? They are already being talked about for Bright. I think that one of the advantages for Thredbo is that so much of the trail network is set up around lifted access and as such is already generating revenue for trail managers.

41. climberman

Season Pass Gold

Yeah, dunno. As you said, Thredbo manages the lifts, but pulls money by managing the hire fleet and assosciated workshops, etc. They also ran the lift 363 days a year anyway.

Hully likes this.
  42. telecrag

Season Pass Gold

Yeah, the bike hire there makes more out of mtb than the lift I think. Workshop is running like crazy, that hill does tend to require a bit of upkeep on the bike, even if you dont bin it. But, bike alone is $145 a day, lift is only $70?

43. telecrag

Season Pass Gold

But to GBOT

In his statement he said he had been thinking about leaving for some time, bahahahahaha

Ramshead and Hully like this.
  44. wolly

wolly Dedicated Member

MAYBE THE MOUNTAIN BIKE DISCUSSION SHOULD BE IN ITS OWN THREAD!

45. Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

Yeah....sorry.

46. telecrag

Season Pass Gold

Thread derailment is a feature of this forum, almost an art.

Chaeron and Cuppa like this.
  47. climberman

Season Pass Gold

And, how good was dinner last night!

Chaeron, Cuppa, Hully and 1 other person like this.
  48. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

For most places, at least around here, you would have to rely heavily on an honesty model. Enforcement could be costly and ineffective. Keeping fees low is probably the best approach. Bungarra at Jindy is $5 for a weekend (or 3 days on summer holidays) - put your money in an envelope in a box and keep a matching slip to show you've paid. Even families shouldn't be put off with that price.

crackson likes this.
  49. DbSki

DbSki Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Yeah, on yer bike buster.

Chaeron and wolly like this.
  50. skinavy

skinavy Dedicated Member

Same.