NSW Flood Thread 2011-12

Discussion in 'Weather' started by Snow Blowey, Nov 24, 2011.

wangster

wangster Dedicated Member

The water was flowing over the Alpine Way at Wild Brumby again last night. It was flowing faster and a little deeper than the other day
    Mils

Mils Dedicated Member

I hope ecubine benefits a heap from this.
    easty

easty Active Member

The Thredbo river has risen again. Here are some photos from this morning.

Flodded BBQs
    [​IMG]

Water across the road
    [​IMG]

The Thredbo River and snow making pond are now one big lake.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
    wangster

wangster Dedicated Member

Awesome, thanks for the pics easty. Seems way higher than the other day
    Claude Cat

Claude Cat Gone Fishing Moderator

Yes, great pictures.
    Radar shows the rain clearing from the west.
    Looks like a few days of respite now.
    EC is suggesting a system moving in from the east, late Wednesday through Friday. Looking wet in Sydney for this period.
    This has the potential to drop 40mm or so (at this stage) for NSW alps - at least it will be coming the other way and not to much moves in to the plains.

[​IMG]
    warrie

warrie Active Member

Iowee et al, Lake Jindabyne is at 94.6% an hour ago which is a level of 910.10m AHD and that is 1.25 m below FSL. So it has risen nearly 15 % due to this rain event giving an increase of 105 GL. With Thredbo getting 166mm to 9 am and the flooded BBQ area showing a higher water level than Thursdays pix there could be some forced spill tomorrow.
    As for Eucumbene it has only risen 2.3% which is still 115GL. The tunnel from Island Bend to Eucumbene simply does not have the capacity to send all the Snowy R runoff into Euc. So Island Bend spilled and the water is now in Jinbabyne which is doing exactly what it was designed for.......W
    warrie

warrie Active Member

Re the Gundagai flood, someone put this you tube video up in Dec 2010. Play it again to enjoy the soundtrack....W
    Link : http://vimeo.com/17480798
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
    Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Part of the Furniture

The guy who did that video is a knob! [​IMG]

I think the BOM are underestimating flooding in the Murrumbidgee at the moment. There has been 50mm+ across the mountains and well above that in some locations. Falls well in ecxess of 100mm+ overnight in Wagga and Gundagai areas. Seems every contributing stream is having a second peak similar to early in the week but this time Burrinjuck is full and spilling. Then you have huge local inflow between Gundagai and Wagga which will back up any flow from further upstream. Inflows from the ACT will be huge after last nights falls as illustrated by Cotter Dam cam.

I'm only going from memory of 2010 but i am pretty sure the falls in the ACT area were alot smaller than this event so can't see how it will be a smaller flood. Flood duration likley to be significantly longer also as the area under the hydrographs for all rivers and streams are big. Big rounded hydrographs rather than brief spikes. That means big total flows.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
    telecrag

telecrag Addicted Member

I would guess that the amount may be similar, or more this time, but spread out more. Hasnt been the destruction of 2010. There is heaps of water running everywhere though. Molonglo not as high as the other day this peak.
    loweee

loweee Dedicated Member

Couple of pictures around Jindabyne and towards Thredbo.

[​IMG]

Hey Donza, you may need to move your van
    [​IMG]

Good bye Claypits

[​IMG]

Gaden Trout Hatchery

[​IMG]
    benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture Season Pass Holder

Snow Blowey

[​IMG]
    Snow Blowey

is it still raining there? BOM on the blink again since 9.30am. Looks like rain on the cotter cam.
    trappers

trappers Voted Best Moderator in the 2014 FIGJAM Awards Moderator

It feels so sureal, just one perfectly sunny day after another here ... good luck everyone esp those down in Myrtleford / Bright
    currawong

currawong Part of the Furniture Season Pass Holder

so far Myrtleford & Bright are ok I think. Mt Buffalo NP is closed due to a landslip over the road. The Shepparton area is worst hit, with a lot of road closures as far east as Wang.

Rain in the North East seems to have stopped and radar is almost clear so sub-alpine towns should have seen the worst. downstream may be a different story.

Kiewa river is high and fast at Mt Beauty but ok. I suspect Ovens is much the same at Bright & Myrtleford.
    Outlooker

Outlooker Active Member

Awesome shots Ioweee. Never seen it that high. Can you get any shots around Stinky Bay or the front of the old shops?
    loweee

loweee Dedicated Member

Here is a couple more from today.

[​IMG]

The Alpine way back to Jindabyne

[​IMG]

Lake forming in Banjo Patterson Park

[​IMG]
    Snow Blowey

any spillage over the new spillway lowee?
    Snow Blowey

snowy flood warning says some spill from Jindabyne tonight but nothing serious.
    loweee

loweee Dedicated Member

Snowy Hydro expect the lake to rise another 50-80cm by 10pm. It may start to spill then.
    cold wombat

cold wombat Pool Room

Nice pics, thanks. Only seen it totally full once before. Love to be down there atm.
    Majikthise

Majikthise Sage Moderator

the new Yarramundi bridge earning it's stripes, looking back to where I took my photo from.
    photo courtesy of Matt Broad
    [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
    PiniPowPow

PiniPowPow Dedicated Member

I went around for a look today as well. It was pretty impressive.

Island Bend dam
    [​IMG]

The Snowy
    [​IMG]

Property in Waste Pt is on the way up with the new views on offer
    [​IMG]
    loweee

loweee Dedicated Member

So here are some more photos of fun in the Banjo Patterson Park "Lake"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    PiniPowPow

haha that looks great didnt see that today. Would be good if it was like that all the time!
    loweee

loweee Dedicated Member

Wake skating in the park behind an electric motor winch.

[​IMG]
    cold wombat

cold wombat Pool Room

Wow!

All happening in Jindy!
    Snow Blowey

top stuff jindyites.

The worst of flooding in NSW appears to be in the area S and SW of Wagga. They had totals exceeding 150mm last night. Flatish areas with only small creeks. The Rock and Uranquinty were flooded today. I think this water finds its way into Billabong Creek which then floods several towns down stream over the next couple of weeks.

As i suspected earlier the flood situation for Murrumbidgee is worse than originally indicated. Peaks in Gundagai and Wagga Wagga are now expected to be higher than the 2010 flood. Could mean North Wagga goes under - i think the levee is at 9.9m and 10.0m predicted - but prediction is likley to be a little conservative so they may make it. Low lying areas on the east of town also look in trouble. But most of town is protected by a levee up to about 11.5m.

Flooding on the Lachlan is also bad with parts of Forbes being evacuated.
    climberman

climberman Old And Crusty Season Pass Holder

Pini n- awesome pics. Is the Snowy River one from the bridge over to Snowy Adit ?
    Claude Cat

Week rainfall totals as of today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some big totals there. Mt Buffalo over 530mm !!
    Snow Blowey

Situation in Murrumbidgee has been helped by Burrinjuck being at approx 75% at the start of the event and Blowering at about the same. If they had been full i think this event would have broken records. I don't think Blowering is contributing anything to the flows.
    cold wombat

cold wombat Pool Room

That's a shitload of water when you think of the area it covers. Lots of farmers with some very full dams!
    parkmonkey

parkmonkey Old And Crusty Season Pass Holder

I'd say its lost some altitude right there [​IMG]
    PiniPowPow

Yea taken at the Adit. A massive boulder had fallen off the slope above the Adit entrance. Hydro will have a bit of trouble getting access until its gone.
    Snow Blowey

From the BOM:

River height levels at Gundagai have risen higher than previously expected and river height predictions have been raised to reflect this. It appear that much more local flow from other streams has entered the Murrumbidgee River below Burrinjuck Dam.

With river levels upstream of Gundagai still rising, flooding slightly less than the 1974 event is possible.

These guys need to lift their game. I'm just an amateur sitting at home on the net and could see the flood situation on the Murrumbidgee was more serious than indicated yesterday. The rainfall totals around Wagga itself were huge and the little creeks between Wagga and Tumut were running huge flows yesterday morning. Much higher numbers than 2010. Don't mean to sound like a FIGJAM - just astounds me that the pros couldn't see this coming.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
    Claude Cat

But that has been the situation with this whole series system.
    The models were bang on the money from 10 days out yet there was virtually no warning activity going on until far too late.
    Snow Blowey

The river rose so quickly and the flooding just came out of nowhere. [​IMG]
    art

art Active Member

Flows at Gundagai
    Biggest on record is 1925 11.28 m
    1974 was 11.01m
    And this morning its 10.82m and rising
    EDIT: make that 10.89m at 11am but may have stopped rising.

i will be very surprised if North Wagga doesn't end up flooded for the first time since the levee was enlarged.
    h2oskier

h2oskier Dedicated Member

My bro and I have a winch.. He is in melb, im in bendigo and its in shepparton. There area some epic spots id love to hit around shep at the moment! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    teckel

teckel Old And Crusty Commercial Member

You'd have to be living in a void not to know that flooding was going to happen! Everyone these days demands to be treated like a baby. FFS, it was bloody obvious that if you lived on a flood plain or on low lying land that there was going to be serious flooding this week.
    Snow Blowey

flood height in Gundagai still at 10.83m from a peak of 10.89m at about 10am this morning. Lots of volume in this flood.
    Nidecker

Nidecker Dedicated Member

DOes anyone know if this has had or will have any effect on Lake George??
    Ultra

Ultra Dedicated Member

yep, water up to the federal highway now, but only ankle deep.
    craigl56

craigl56 Active Member

Heard that Jindy dam is spilling? Can anyone confirm, have pics?
    loweee

loweee Dedicated Member

Yeah it is but hard to get pics unless you go for a long walk. I will have a look and see if I can find any.
    warrie

warrie Active Member

Craig, with 21st century security concerns you cannot park next to the spillway. The carparks next to the viewing areas that operated from 1967 when the dam was completed to the upgrade a few years back are all blocked off. Then there's all the no stopping zones so poor Ioweee will have quite a trek.
    The max daily spill last October was 11.5 GL or about 125 cumecs which raised the Snowy R level at Dalgety to 2.1 metres. At present Dalgety is 1.4m with no spill yet from the now 98.5% Lake Jindabyne - an 18% rise in a week!! So until there is a 2012 spill, last years will have to suffice.....W Link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsTS80VUyig
    Snow Blowey

I drove up to Burrendong yesterday afternoon. It was sitting at 120% so i thought i would see some action. The road is now block about 5km short of the spillway for god knows what reason. As it turned out there was no spillage and no planned spillage which is all a bit anti-climactic.
    Snow Blowey

WOW - 10pm update for Murrumbidgee flood at Wagga has it reaching up to 10.9m. This is based on flood heights exceeding the 1974 flood event at an upstream gauging station. The 1974 height in wagga was around 10.75m - if i remember correctly from the plaque at the Hampton Bridge. Town levee is at 11.0m so not much slack if it rises further. Will be some nervous people in the centre of town tonight. Lots of nice old houses in that area that sell for a fair bit.
    art

art Active Member

I used to live in that part of town. If the levee goes the whole cbd and surrounds will have 2m+ of water through it.

1974 was 10.74m and the cbd was only saved by desperate sandbagging.

last update was the level was 9.9m at midnight so i suspect north wagga is probably filling up by now as i think the levee there is at 9.9m

I bet they are busy trying to get the cbd levee a bit higher tonight.

Have to agree with the earlier comments that the peak predictions haven't been great uptil now. There are a lot of unknowns in predicting big flood peaks but I think a cautious over estimate once the gundagai peak was know at lunch time monday would have been valuable given how close this is to the top of the wagga levee.
    With all the minor tributaries (not that minor as the 2 biggest are producing about 20% of waggas current flow) between gundagai and wagga flowing strongly good reason to still consider the predictions to have a fair margin of error.

Ultra

Ultra Dedicated Member

forecasting has a nice ECL developing over the coming weekend, yet no mention of any rainfall associated with it. could this drop another few hundred MM over already soaks grounds and flooded river systems?