Nozawa Onsen 2016/17

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Nozawaman, May 17, 2016.

hardbooter

hardbooter Active Member

Have cheap lift tickets for sale the +1 tried but never got on a lift so have her 5 day passes Single day Sold one today to people in line at ticket office for 3000 they have to be used by the 17th
    Hope this helps some one out

:thumbs: Mick stagger likes this.
    Dumph

Dumph Active Member

Does the Challenger lift only run on weekends?

Pelm1

Pelm1 Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

yes and PH

:thumbs: Dumph likes this.
    dbc33

dbc33 Active Member

Hey all, I've asked before about lodge yukiyama in nozawa and contacted the booking company I went through but it still says on Google that is closed? Booking company said all good it's open but just a bit apprehensive about sending my board and gear from haneda. Would there happen to be anyone in nozawa that knows this joint is open? Thanks for any reply's.

Nozawaman

Nozawaman Addicted Member Season Pass Gold

There is a guy that has a shop under the barbers next to the bank .

toxicfox

toxicfox Active Member

Thanks, i'll check it out. See you on the hill tomorrow sometime:emoji_aerial_tramway::snowboarder:

Dumph

Dumph Active Member

Second similar question. How often does the Kandahar lift run? I was there last year and it only ran on the weekend with racers. Is that what usually happens or is it open when they have decent cover?

Nozawaman

It's always open if you want to walk ;)

:thumbs: Dumph and Sandy like this.
    Pelm1

It is open to the public at times.. Look at the signs around the resort.. Or if you listen carefully you can hear the announcement mention Kandahar..

:thumbs: Dumph likes this.
    dr80

dr80 Well-Known Member Season Pass Gold

Has the fire festival ever been postponed because it's snowing too heavily?

Nozawaman

No ...... The first year I went it snowed all night then I couldn't get back into the lodge the next morning because there was about 80cm of fresh I had to wait till the groomers did first run before getting anywhere near the front door

toxicfox

toxicfox Active Member

going to be alot of umbrellas there tomorrow night.

Nozawaman

We are back to normal ....... Faceshots galore WOOOOOO HOOOOOO !!!!!

:thumbs: ssar, gibbsy, FLI355 and 5 others like this.
    DPS Driver

DPS Driver Dedicated Member

I've received a lot of phone calls from Japan these past couple of days. From Hakuba to Asahidake.

Friends who're kind enough to let me know how much they're missing my company while skiing neck deep pow. Such thoughtfulness, such good friends....bastards.

Stoked you're getting the goods Noz man, after last years non event. Ya can't get face shots on a 138mm ski, OR can you?? Ha ha. 'course ya can.

:thumbs: dawooduck, Vermillion and JoeKing like this.
    Nozawaman

You had to go and buy that car hahahaha ......as for the skis ,well we skied trees all day yesterday and those Lotus 138's just ate everything we found, tight narrow run outs they were so nimble , wider open spaces pressure them a little a big cloud of smoke/spray appeared in front of your face . AMAZING !!!!!!

:thumbs: dr80 and DPS Driver like this.
    Chillybin

Chillybin Active Member

Or skin with really really fast moving legs....Imagine walking that! We attempted to enter the area up a little higher and were quickly greeted by a friendly Japanese snow cat driver attached to the hill by a cable Naturally we were asked to move on......... it's definitely an eye opener up there!

LMB

LMB Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

DPS Driver

Yeah well, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. I'll add that to my list of regrets.

I do love the Lotus 138's. I think i'll need to get myself another pair. I let my last pair go to a renouned ski photograher. Damn another regret.

M_G

M_G Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

hatto

hatto Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

I have been quiet on here as I find it hard when in nozawa to spend any time on the internet but I have to say, the last five days have been rediculous. So much snow and so much fun.
    Glad the family have been found safe and well but can truely understand how things can go wrong very quickly.
    Still amazed at some of the silly things peeps are doing but.........

:thumbs: Vermillion, Hyst, Pelm1 and 1 other person like this.
    Pelm1

I have a pair of TST's for sale in Nozawa, see my post in the buy sell forum... Cheaper than hiring...

Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Season Pass Gold

My car, yesterday, Nozawa Onsen:
    [​IMG]

Half dug out:
    [​IMG]

Fully cleared: ;)
    [​IMG]

Hyst

Hyst Active Member Season Pass Gold

Are there chaines on the front?

Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Season Pass Gold

Yes, they are plastic chains. Like this:
    [​IMG]

:thumbs: blowfin likes this.
    Hyst

Hyst Active Member Season Pass Gold

dbc33

dbc33 Active Member

Hate to say this but not even 24hrs in nozawa onsen and even I'm embarrassed by some of the Aussie's here, back to Hokkaido for me or grab a car and hit some smaller fields...

Hunter

Hunter Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

Sadly as nozawa has got a much higher profile in the
    Last 4 years or so it has come at a
    Cost with an influx of niseko style bogans and their behaviour

Seen guys in bath robes walking the street drinking cans

Chondro

Chondro Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

Haven't seen any bogan behaviour in my 6 weeks in niseko hey.
    Was thinking of coming to nozawa in a couple of weeks might go somewhere else maybe

Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Addicted Member Season Pass Gold

I saw bogans wandering the streets of Hakuba drinking cans this trip. It's my third trip there and the first I've seen that.
    In fairness to the bogans they were relatively quiet and otherwise well behaved, but it's a bad look and disrespectful to the host culture. Surely they can just finish their can at point A and buy a new one when they get to point B?

hotsaki

hotsaki Dedicated Member Season Pass Silver

At least they weren`t necking spirits out of a bottle.:emoji_astonished:

DPS Driver

It can be embarrassing being an Aussie overseas but then again, many countries really enjoy our Aussie ability to let our hair down and have a good time. R.E.S.P.E.C.T is the key isn't it and knowing what is acceptable behaviour.

If they're quietly going about their business the Japanese locals don't mind consuming alcohol in the streets, jeepers it's in the vending machines in the street. They don't have the same alcohol issues we have as a society so that in itself isn't disrespectful.
    Being loud and drunk in the streets is another matter but again the Japanese aren't wowsers, so again not the alcohol so much as the behaviour which is the issue.

:thumbs: Ludaning, smitty484, Chondro and 3 others like this.
    dawooduck

dawooduck Pool Room Season Pass Gold

The locals get about in bathrobes .....

DeskRider

DeskRider Dedicated Member Season Pass Silver

Yup, drinking in public not an issue - it is almost a sport for the Japanese in the spring!

Like anywhere, being a dick is frowned upon...

:thumbs: smitty484, Chondro and DPS Driver like this.
    Hunter

Hunter Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

But they don't act as if they are on a footy trip necking cans
    The locals are quietly heading off for a bath

blowfin

blowfin Active Member

Next minute: holding a can of Boss coffee gets you labelled as a bogan.

:thumbs: dawooduck likes this.
    DPS Driver

Depends of whether you have a man bun and a beard or not.;)

:thumbs: dawooduck likes this.
    blowfin

blowfin Active Member

Beard: yes. Man bun... let's just say I keep my hair too short...:thumbs::whistle:

hotsaki

Saw an Aussie urinating in the street last trip to Noz.Looked a bit off.

Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Addicted Member Season Pass Gold

You learn something every day. I've seen lots of drunk Japanese, but never one wandering the streets drinking.

dbc33

dbc33 Active Member

I like a drink like most sometimes more than most lol but it's a bit too much here in nozawa, seems like every guy wants to show his tatts and speak loudly about where they have been and how good they are at certain things. What starts out as a nice drink in a quiet bar turns into a who can speak louder and brag about something. Damn you jetstar!!!!! Even my old lady has a shit load of tatts but doesn't want to be rude so covers up.

hatto

The current generation is an ink loving generation, you are now the odd one if you don't have ink. with so much ink on people it is always going to be visible at some point. The bars and other places are very warm, so when you take off you jumper/coat ink is going to be visible - you cant change that.
    Bars serve alcohol and promote drinking, shot, beers, spirits etc. When anyone drinks they get louder, I'm yet to find a place that serves copious amounts of alcohol to people and the room gets quieter. I have many japanese friends in Nozawa who love to have a drink, meet people and enjoy the night. they are loud but most certainly are not disrespectful. Not once have they ever conveyed to me that someone who is loud and has tatts and drinking in the bar is being disrespectful.

:thumbs: Chondro and dawooduck like this.
    dbc33

dbc33 Active Member

Not saying they are all disrespectful, I guess some are just getting on my nerves. The whole who can brag about who is better is a world wide thing I guess.

hatto

I've noticed that each night the party seems to be at a different bar. I just move to the one I feel comfortable at the time.
    I hear you on the bragging!! - bigger, faster better, makes me laugh:thumbs:

pedub

pedub Active Member

No way. Really? I would say at least 2/3 of people still don't have tattoos
    Also I read somewhere about 1/5 who get tattoos regret it later

Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Season Pass Gold

I dont think it's a worldwide thing.

DPS Driver

Cleanskin is the new tattoo.

Be tough and don't get ink.

:thumbs: kaegee, DeskRider, Annitowa and 2 others like this.
    Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Season Pass Gold

Tatts are kinda meh for me, until someone goes all vegan and starts telling me about them and how good they are. Then they becoming annoying, like a vegan.

:thumbs: DPS Driver likes this.
    hatto

29% total Americans have a Tattoo, Of those 47% millennials, 36% genX -so 83% of americans between 18 & 50 have a tattoo. Can't find statistics for Oz but would think a similar trend. An increase of 34% from baby Boomers time
    http://shoulditattoo.com/2016/09/03/tattoo-facts-statistics/

hotsaki

If I got a tattoo of a Sumo wrestler on my chest would I get in to an onsen?

ojisan

ojisan Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

Saw that in Myoko when I was there this year