Northwest Spur Track - Feathertop

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by genuflector, Aug 10, 2010.

1. genuflector

genuflector Active Member

Anyone done this since the fires. Recently tried to ascend from above the trout farm and ended up on a dozer track we picked up after the initial creek crossing before it petered out and we found ourselves bushbashing through 6-8ft regrowth for a couple of hours before turning back.
    My memory of the track pre fires is sketchy as we always climbed it at night in winter, but there was definitely a track albeit a steep one. Wondered if we were trying to climb a spur to the north that heads up to the north razorback
    Is the Tom Knean Track still there and usable?
    Any semirecent beta appreciated.

2. sjm

sjm Active Member

#2 sjm, Aug 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  3. genuflector

Well I did not see anything that looked like that.
    Still wondering where I got off track
    The Wall sign I don't recall from years back. Is that at the bottom of the steep bit whch had the "trucks use low gear" sign at the top

Can you describe the route from the sign near the troutfarm? We deviated left from the road crossing the creek before coming up to the dozer track. From there it just went up instead of up then down then up again
    Thanks

4. sjm

sjm Active Member

The track shown in google maps is pretty accurate. Park at the gate, and follow the footpad along the creek. The track stays between the creek and the road until it curves around over the bridge. Don't cross the creek before the bridge. Then there's a slow climb up, before an open flatish section, then a short up and down, two small bridges, then the sign, and the steep bit.
    [​IMG]

#4 sjm, Aug 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  5. genuflector

Terrific Thanks!
    Heading up Bungalow in a few hours, Thunder and pouring in Mansfield at present - expecting 3 days of snowfall, hoping we'll get some skiing in despite the weather.

6. Bogong

Bogong Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

At the start, the trick is to NOT cross the creek until you are well and truly beyond civilisation. From there the track is fairly obvious until you are above "The Wall" in open snowgum woodland. About 1/2 an hour before the hut, the track is a little hard to stay on, but if you lose the track, go back 100 metres and it's easy to pick up if you are paying serious attention.

Here is my rough guide to tracks up Feathertop. Feel free to add extra info or correct any mistakes. [​IMG]
    http://wikiski.com/wiki/index.php/Bush_Walking#Mt_Feathertop

#6 Bogong, Aug 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  7. genuflector

I note that civilisation seems to be creeping further up the hill compared to in the early 90s when I last did the route.
    I think you are likely to be correct though as I don't even remember crossing at a bridge when I went wrong

8. sjm

sjm Active Member

There are houses all the way to, and beyond the bridge. I think you'd remember if you crossed it - it's pretty fancy for a low volume track:
    [​IMG]

#8 sjm, Aug 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  9. Bogong

Bogong Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Some of my cronies have followed what appears to be the main 4WD track which diverges from the route up NW Spur and fords the creek. They have ended up getting lost on the former track that heads towards Stony Tops / North Razorback.

That track was okay before the 2006 fire, but it hasn't been cleared since then and the regrowth makes it an impenetrable route these days.

10. mik

mik Active Member

its a highway, the snowline is at about 1400m. take a topo, compass & altimeter, and dont press on like tim holding if u are unsure.

11. Fagus

Fagus Active Member

My memory is that the bulldozer track came off the walking track, not far into the NP, on the thin spur before the first bridge.
    As you leave the Trout farm, the walking track is parallel to a driveway/access road to the last houses. The track then drops into a little dry creek/gully and climbs a few meters onto a spur (where the bulldozer track comes off -can be seen on the map as a kink in the track just into NP boundary). The walking track crosses over the spur and then descends slowly to the creek and the first Bridge shown in sjm's map.

12. DagdaMor

DagdaMor Active Member

Hmm, been a couple of years since I went up the NW (been down it a few times since though, not sure which way's harder). If you follow the triangles from the car park/trout farm you'll eventually get spat out at a spot where the road you've been paralleling goes up a short rise. After the fires the bulldozing made the track a bit hard to pick up from there. We (MUMC) really should re-tape that bit of the track if it's still indistinct (I'd planned to but life intervened). If you can't find the track there, if you walk along the road for a few hundred metres you should be able to see where the 4wd track starts on your left (might be a bit messy from the bulldozing).

Once on the 4wd track you stay pretty level and then descend a bit, you certainly don't want to head up any bulldozed spurs. Once you hit the first bridge the track was pretty obvious from there (at least I thought), maybe it has regrown a lot since. The track should turn fairly quickly into a bridle trail-ish thing. Up to a saddle and then steeply down into the creek and across two bridges. Stop to top up water from the creek and then you start up The Wall.

I'd be interested in a couple of things re: MUMC hut from people who've been up there recently:
    - How is the toilet going, is the honey pot getting full? We should probably put an info sheet + gloves and disinfectant up there for whoever ends up swapping over the pots
    - Has the maintenance over the last couple of years made a noticeable impact? MUMC Hut was a bit neglected in the early noughties but the current warden has been pretty active.

13. genuflector

Thanks Bogong, that sounds like what we must have done, and yes sjm if I had have crossed that bridge i would have recalled it. I don't remember it from the 90s.
    Thankyou all

14. stallie

stallie Active Member

So how were the conditions on fxtop?

15. genuflector

Despite ~20cm snow(albeit dense and windblown with a fair bit of moisture in it) in the last few days with no rain -Too thin to ski except up on top on the East side - kept punching thru to grass on the North side of Little feathertop, Fantastic on the ridge Sth of avalanche gully. Spent more time travelling around than actually skiing in the end. Weather cleared up in the last 36 hours - will post a TR if i can figure out how to embed pics.
    On descent it was clear the snow falls were not to low levels. Lots of fallen trees on the middle section of the track - slowed us down on our overnight ascent(took 2 not very fit 30 somethings 6hrs!)

16. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Mister Tee on snow shoes Dedicated Member

I might be heading up the NW spur soon. I will report back.

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  17. Mister Tee on snow shoes

I have called the ranger in Bright for a NW spur track report. One of my snow shoe/ hiking crew says she had Blackberry hell :eek: last November 2016 somewhere between the fish farm and some distance after " The Wall" sign.

18. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

mother of jes.s .....:cry:.....better sumon Explora for Blackberry Spraying over the summer!

just dont drown on that fording the river thingee!:whistle:

19. Mister Tee on snow shoes

The Ranger in Bright said on the phone that the Blackberry menace has been contained , but there is a crossing at Stony Creek where the old bridge was burned to ashes in 2003. I shall exercise caution when crossing creeks that are flowing well after recent rains.If It is all too hard to cross then I will have to hike back to the car at the fish farm and go up the bleeding Bungalow spur, again. MUMC are having their midnight ascent up the NW spur to MUMC Hut next month, by the August full moon.