North America's 2016-2017 season. (USA/Canada)

Discussion in 'Weather' started by Born2ski, Aug 12, 2016.

POW_hungry

POW_hungry Addicted Member Season Pass Gold

Currently snowing down to Whistler Village according to their IG.
    Serious storm bearing down on BC resorts today.
    It has begun...

The mountain also opens tomorrow.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    Jellybeans1000

Jellybeans1000 Dedicated Member

[​IMG]
    Up to 25 inches forecast for Whistler over next 7 days, 15 inches for Interior BC, 5 inches for Colorado.

:thumbs: AnotherSnowDude and Born2ski like this.
    Chowder11

Chowder11 Addicted Member Season Pass Gold

Cams on their site agree with this.
    Nuking up-top.

Will see some good totals over the coming days, with nice temps so should fill the village also

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    FourSquare04

FourSquare04 Dedicated Member

How's LL and Sunshine looking oto get out of this @Chowder11 ?

:thumbs: Chowder11 likes this.
    Chowder11

Not much from this big system hitting the PNW.

Looking to get a bit of snow over the weekend, 15-20cm possible. Temps are in the neg for the foreseable future so the snow making will be going non-stop.
    The Fall over the weekend will be true Eastern Rockies super light dry pow. Which isnt great for base building, but amazing for skiing.

Positive thing is from now until probably April you will not see any positive temps, so anything that falls stays and ads to the base.

:thumbs: POW_hungry likes this.
    Jellybeans1000

Winter is settling in. Exciting times ahead

Chowder11

Yep, ill be there Mid Feb.
    Im looking at the forecasts and webcams daily.

Froth is getting real.

POW_hungry

Whistler has just spun the first lifts of the season with 25cm of new snow over night. Base is now reported as 126cm.
    Mount Baker, WA is reporting 3 foot base, with the majority of that falling since last Thursday.
    Some amazing images on Instagram if you came bothered hunting them!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
    POW_hungry

Friday's storm is looking pretty big for PAC NW and BC.:eek:
    All model's are in agreeance here.

:thumbs: AnotherSnowDude and Wardy like this.
    Chowder11

Whistler is looking very healthy.

Will be all systems go after this next system

POW_hungry

Yeah, the system last week that crossed the continent really did a lot for the long wave.
    Ridging will stem the flow for the NW next week from Sunday on wards, but means big opportunities for the Rockies.
    Second week of December looks solid.

Jellybeans1000

What model is that?

POW_hungry

GFS
    And here's EC (same frame coordinates):

:thumbs: AnotherSnowDude likes this.
    Jellybeans1000

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nice figures for Whistler and smaller figures from Steamboat.
    I don't know if you guys use mesoscale charts, but here is a US snowfall meso chart.
    [​IMG]

:thumbs: Wardy and Chowder11 like this.
    Chowder11

Looks good

absentskier

absentskier Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

Looking like a great early season in Canada.

Wardy

Wardy Active Member

Great work! Keep 'em coming please. Everyone :)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
    absentskier

absentskier Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

POW_hungry

Coupla inches in Jackson Hole tonight. Mesmerizing flurries to say the least:

Jellybeans1000

[​IMG]
    Good time to be in Whistler.

AnotherSnowDude

AnotherSnowDude New Member

Thanks for the maps @Jellybeans1000 Now I understand it a bit more

Chowder11

40cm in the past 12hrs at Whistler according to their website.

Absolutely nuking on the cams like I have never seen before, snowing to village level also.

Jealous

Jellybeans1000

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Deterministic and Ensemble (Whistler and Jackson Hole)

Bottom graph is temperature and top is 500hPa metre height.

skidiva

skidiva Well-Known Member

I am in whistler now. Arrived last night. First day skiing today. Snowed most of the night and day. Not all of the mountain open yet. You have to download from top of gondola. But was great skiing out there today.

POW_hungry

As far as Whistler goes you should see most of the mountain open by the weekend another 20-25cm each day until Sunday night IMO. Then some clear days with Pac High ridging/blocking pattern established Mon-Thursday morning. Weak system due Thursday AM.

Rockies to see some top-ups from Sunday through Wednesday with a solid Longwave pattern delivering very cold Arctic winds across the Rockies by Tuesday. Lee-side troughing in the mid-west is due to help maintain this flow for several days.

Below is the GFS progeed scenario on Tuesday. Ridge is well and truly anchored over the Pac Norwest and drawing that Northerly Jet over the Rockies.

Jellybeans1000

[​IMG]
    EC model for Tuesday.
    [​IMG]
    And GEM.
    All models in agreement.

POW_hungry

A tri-nodal LWT around the Arctic Circle is creating a somewhat stationary set-up. It's likely to bring some very active, cold systems to the States (great plains/central) over the next 7-10 days.

Chowder11

All dem trump supporters are gonna be cold

:thumbs: Jellybeans1000 and POW_hungry like this.
    Chowder11

Whistler village getting some good snow looking at the live cams.

Must be nuking up-top still

Stiffler

Stiffler Active Member

Perhaps it's more like the Hillary fan club are out in the cold these days!

Nidecker

Nidecker Dedicated Member

Trump turned off global warming, snows gonna come now :)

:thumbs: FourSquare04 likes this.
    Jellybeans1000

After that storm in the Mid-West passes, a blocking high moves in. But that might not be all bad news, as the snowmakers will be having a frenzy with the cold temperatures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    From about the 2nd of December, a low hangs around Alaska. It finally crosses BC coast and into the interior on 5th, on current prog.
    [​IMG]
    And this is an interesting chart that shows the likelihood of 12 inches falling in between now and 11th of December. BC is looking awesome...
    [​IMG]

POW_hungry

According to their IG; 25cm of fresh for Kicking Horse, 35cm of fresh for Whistler.
    109cm for 48 hours...

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

Jellybeans1000

We are in November and the winter is definitely underway! The winter outlooks were definitely right about South BC and PNW's great start to the season. California has had an slow start to the season, expecting a slightly below average season. Colorado and Utah have also been slow starters but should settle for an average season. Mid-West is getting into the negatives now and expecting an above average chance of winter storms. New England is looking to be a slightly above average year. All predictions IMO of course.

mauricem

mauricem Active Member

Any thoughts on spending a couple of weeks at Kirkwood? Never been before but I like the sound of the terrain and there are some good deals on slopeside condos. I'd love to do without a car for while but if the weather closes in and the hill is either closed or whiteout any other options? Not chasing nightlife but trying to avoid cabin fever;(

Stayed in SLT and North Lake previously which are both pretty divey IMO so no great desire to revisit

Jellybeans1000

It's not going to be a great season in Tahoe, snow depth wise. Northstar and Heavenly are also Vail resorts in the Tahoe area if your on the Epic pass. Mammoth is 3 hours away. And if you don't want to ski, there's always Reno which can be done in a day easily. Essentially best option is to have a car, especially for a couple of weeks.

POW_hungry

Why not stay in Truckee? It's on the I-80 so it's rarely closed for extended periods and you have all the resorts at your fingertips...
    Tahoe will fair just fine for the season. It has loads of snow on the way over the next week ( QPF modelling suggests over half a metre in the next 6-7 days).

Jellybeans1000

[​IMG]
    Tahoe stands to get 5-6 inches in the next 10 days. 10 inches to Colorado.
    Snow in Northern Texas just shows how cold it's getting in much of America.

POW_hungry

luvthabumps

luvthabumps Addicted Member Season Pass Gold

arrived in Whistler around 6.00. Good drive up from Van. Burrard St Bridge is a nightmare but once you're on W Georgia the traffic flow was excellent all the ay until you hit Function Junction where things slow down. About 2.10 door to door today. Plenty of snow on the side of the road and around the Village. Rented a really nice 1 br ground floor apartment at The Aspens through AirBnb for the next 3 weekends.

Will be the usual shit fight in the morning I imagine picking up Season's passes but I have jnr miss LTB with me so I won't be able to seek out the deep off piste stuff this weekend anyway. No doubt it will be great fun no matter what with all the hype on social media.

:thumbs: Jellybeans1000 and Born2ski like this.
    POW_hungry

Aaron Leyland (Whistler resident and backcountry fiend) posted today that the last 24 hours has served up some of the deepest powder he's ever experienced. Sure does look light and dry on the 'gram videos posted today!

mauricem

mauricem Active Member

Was thinking of early March which historically Tahoe seems do quite well in, we were last there in Feb '14 which was a pretty dry year for Cali then after we left it started puking which doesn't seem unusual from what I've seen.

Plan at this stage I will go over with my partner in Feb land at SFO hire a car head towards Utah, Colorado etc depending on conditions but I'll stay on for a couple of weeks extra as she has to go back to work;)

This is the portion I thought I might just park myself at Kirkwood and try out some of the more challenging terrain etc which she doesnt like. If i could get away without parking a hire car up for 2 weeks it would be great but looking into the cost and inconvenience of shuttles especially with ski bags etc is making me think picking up a hire car from Reno as she drives back to SFO would be the best option.

In addition to the terrain I'm interested in Kirkwood as it sounds more laid back and hopefully less crowded than Heavenly but still concerned about it being more exposed to weather than other Tahoe resorts as I don't handle white out conditions that well.

Jellybeans1000

Hire cars can be a little annoying but are worth it IMO. More details, ask here: http://forums.ski.com.au/xf/threads...ns-thoughts-reviews.74705/page-7#post-3168765 . There will be white-out situations at all resorts at certain times, but search local weather websites about details on specific resorts.

It definitely pukes a lot along the California ranges. Even though the charts (below) say it's going to be warmer and drier than average in California, you will still get a couple of metres of snow. Maybe a little less than average, but it's better than Australia ;)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

POW_hungry

POW_hungry

Tahoe Weather Advisory for heavy snow
    "
    ...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM PST SUNDAY...

THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM PST
    SUNDAY.

* TIMING: SNOW WILL DEVELOP EARLY THIS EVENING AND BECOME BRIEFLY
    HEAVY LATE TONIGHT INTO EARLY SUNDAY MORNING. THE HEAVIEST SNOW
    SHOULD FALL BETWEEN 1 AM AND 7 AM SUNDAY.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS: 3 TO 8 INCHES AT LAKE LEVEL WITH 6 TO 11
    INCHES ABOVE 7000 FEET. LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS TO NEAR 15 INCHES
    ARE LIKELY NEAR THE HIGHEST ELEVATIONS

"

POW_hungry

Long wave trough looks to park itself over central US over the next fortnight.
    Super long-range, but GFS going for a triple shot of cold air after this Pac High clears, making way for a series of West Coast troughs (influencing CA, OR etc.) and Rockies. System progged for the 7th, 10th & 12th with a steady back-to-back arctic injection.

POW_hungry

Undoubtedly this will change but GFS has snow for Monterey Bay/Santa Cruz for Wednesday-week (7thDEC). Looking like a very cold event if it comes off.

:thumbs: FourSquare04 likes this.
    FourSquare04

Still seems bizarre trying to read charts upside down :D

:thumbs: Jellybeans1000 and POW_hungry like this.
    FourSquare04

Good to see Tahoe getting some love....seems like they went through a few bad/rough years there

:thumbs: Chowder11 and POW_hungry like this.