North America's 2016-2017 season. (USA/Canada)

Discussion in 'Weather' started by Born2ski, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Jellybeans1000

Jellybeans1000 Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Take in the bigger picture. Vortex is not that strong, but nice and close to USA.
    [​IMG]
    Jetstream is dumping in on California.
    [​IMG]
    Yeah, I second the Sierra Nevada's goods.

AnotherSnowDude likes this.
  2. POW_hungry

POW_hungry Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Heavy rain and freezing rain causing havoc in Seattle, Portland this morning. Looks like it's going to get worse too.

3. The Lunatic

The Lunatic Active Member

Plenty of snow up top, and a mix of snow/rain mid mountain all day at whistler. Much better than I expected as the forecast freezing level was 2000m today. First few runs up top were deep and light. Heavy toward the mid and slushy, but not oz slushy at the bottom.

4. Jellybeans1000

Season Pass Gold

Thanks for the update:thumbs:

5. Wardy

Wardy Well-Known Member

Similar in Fernie. Freezing level rose from base level in the morning to approx 1400m by 1pm and stayed there. 20cm of heavy fresh snow up high and in Cedar Bowl though so fun if you were prepared to get wet to get to it. I was. Be a similar story today I'd imagine.

POW_hungry likes this.
  6. Ralph_implement

Ralph_implement Addicted Member

Got a bit in SP yesterday and today. Will be good today.

Wardy likes this.
  7. The Lunatic

The Lunatic Active Member

Got up early for fresh tracks brekky and it was worth it in spades. Still no alpine lifts open but deep and light again around the roundhouse. A tick over 20cm fresh overnight.

Was snowing all the way to the village on my run down to get the kids.

Born2skii, Wardy and FourSquare04 like this.
  8. Born2skii

Born2skii Active Member

27cm in 24 hrs, 39cm in the last 48 hrs and still snowing on and off today here at Red Mountain. Having an early dinner now and then heading out for a little night skiing.

The Lunatic, POW_hungry and Wardy like this.
  9. FourSquare04

FourSquare04 Dedicated Member

Equals EPIC POW day at Red!! So wish I got to that mountain, some of the steepest in bounds tree skiing anywhere in the world

POW_hungry likes this.
  10. Wardy

Wardy Well-Known Member

Cold enough for good quality pow? Pretty chunky at Fernie...

11. Born2skii

Born2skii Active Member

Wet snow down low but alright higher up.

Wardy likes this.
  12. FourSquare04

White Pass would be good (if open)

Wardy likes this.
  13. Wardy

Wardy Well-Known Member

All of Lizard Bowl at Fernie, under the headwall, was closed for Avalanche danger today.

14. POW_hungry

Season Pass Gold

Mammoth has just announced the biggest January on record for JAN snowfall - 15 feet. Astonishing, given we're only two-thirds of the way through it with some big falls due in the next week. It's likely to break the snowiest month on record too (only 27" to go according to their post).

#564 POW_hungry, Jan 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    Claude Cat and FourSquare04 like this.
  15. Stiffler

Stiffler Active Member

27" pffft... you'll get that before breakfast lol

FourSquare04 and POW_hungry like this.
  16. POW_hungry

Season Pass Gold

No doubt. And from my calculations it's 117 inches off Mount Baker's world record season (for DEC/JAN). I expect it will surpass this benchmark by 31st JAN also.
    mammoth sitting on 286" season total. Baker's record had a little over 400" by end of JAN.

[​IMG]

Stiffler likes this.
  17. Stiffler

Stiffler Active Member

Fernie was having a great start to the season in late December/Jan, which I was lucky enough to enjoy but the last 2-3 weeks have been very dry except for a top up the other day.

FourSquare04 and Wardy like this.
  18. POW_hungry

Season Pass Gold

I see the potential for a big shift in the US winter pattern; come Feb. Mid-longterm models suggest a more static (blocking/omega) pattern for West Coast and PNW, suggesting the likelihood of more Winter activity on the US East Coast.
    More to the point I feel this is likely to bring a more favourable winter pattern for Europe throughout the first half of FEB at least, but I guess that's for another thread....
    [​IMG]

19. FourSquare04

This is very typical in the interior / BC of Canada mate, I had the exact same experience way back in 99-2000. Snowed for 3 weeks during late December into early Jan before we got there. Then it went really cold and it all dried up with just 1cm or 2cm of snow falling each day or every second day. Then we left and just missed a good 30cm dump, would have been epic.

I was also there in 02-03 and got to experience a lovely pineapple express where it absolutely pissed down rain all day on Australia Day. All the aussies loved it because it felt like being back home in Perisher or Thredbo :D

Once it gets really cold (colder than -15) it doesn't snow over there or it snows very, very lightly.

Best advice would be to head to Whistler if you want frequent, regular dumps of snow! Or Japan....

20. absentskier

absentskier Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Or large amounts of the USA this year.

FourSquare04 likes this.
  21. AnotherSnowDude

AnotherSnowDude Just Registered

Hey Pow,
    Is this the polar vortex you have pictured? I was hearing things about weak and strong polar vortex, but what do you think? Does this usually cause blocking off the West Coast? And a better winter for Europe? I just hear a lot about long term patterns. Thanks in advance for answering this beginner's questions!

22. POW_hungry

Season Pass Gold

The 10mb model is indicative of the polar vortex, yes. Strong PV generally indicates a cold, dense airmass at lower elevations of the troposphere. Generally speaking, this means the cold airmass will remain confined to those regions. In a weak PV scenario you'll often have a split in vortices which will give you a more 'nodal' arrangement, or increase in jet stream amplitude - leading to fronts extending further into the mid-lats.

The warmer regions of the 10mb region won't always mean blocking patterns (but it is common), it simply means it less likely to accommodate deep, cold systems & free flowing frontal activity IMO.

#572 POW_hungry, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    Yakski and AnotherSnowDude like this.
  23. Stiffler

Stiffler Active Member

Oh no don't get me wrong, Fernie was chosen this year as I was forced to take leave mid December, and after reviewing historical snow reports for that time of year plus the addded possibility of some nice La NiƱa influence we chose Fernie, which worked out great for us and as things got a bit stagnant near the end we utilised cat skiing to access the untouched goodness. Not into the big numbers an bling of Whistler etc. and Japan is never on my list pre mid-late January. Which has also worked out well now after being home and back at work for little over a week My wife and I now have a nice surprise 10 day block off starting late next week, so hence some last minute Japan travel plans being made lol. Don't get me wrong Fernie was great and a good choice for the time I was allotted.

FourSquare04 and AnotherSnowDude like this.
  24. AnotherSnowDude

AnotherSnowDude Just Registered

Thanks! What would signify a weak polar vortex? Does the colder regions mean a higher chance of cold lows? What stage of the polar vortex suits North America and Europe? Very sorry for all the questions, but you seem to be the guy in the know. Thanks in advance.

Yakski likes this.
  25. Yakski

Yakski Just Registered

Thanks @POW_hungry for all this information. Also Jellybeans who pops in this thread. And Wardy and born2skii and FourSquare and absentskier and all the others who post here. Just gathering weather info for my trip.

26. POW_hungry

Season Pass Gold

A weaker PV will often mean you have a higher range in varying patterns - Cold outbreaks and clear spells interchangeably as the nodes shift and rotate around the polar region. You'll find the jetstreams more fluid around the poles which is referred to as meandering.
    Strong PV will mean a more static, sustained cycle of systems. A good example of this has been the numerous Alberta Clippers and frontal systems sweeping through Pac NW and through the Rockies - I am merely suggesting that the Polar Votex in the next few weeks moves Eastwards favoring a sustained period of cold winter systems for Europe.
    [​IMG]
    EG. Strong on the left, weak on the right.

For both Europe and US to equally benefit from consistent snow-bearing systems you'll ideally be looking for a weaker PV, as the strong PV (in singular form) will only mean one region will benefit as it typically means it's static and prolonged, often for weeks at a time. Hope that helps in layman's terms.

#576 POW_hungry, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    Jellybeans1000 likes this.
  27. POW_hungry

Season Pass Gold

Thanks mate, I simply enjoy observing, reading, learning and understanding weather topics. But to be clear I am no meteorologist just an enthusiast/nutjob.

FourSquare04 and Jellybeans1000 like this.
  28. Jellybeans1000

Season Pass Gold

Good explanation for beginners.

29. Jellybeans1000

Season Pass Gold

Gotta love a weather nutjob ;) Cheers @Yakski

FourSquare04 and POW_hungry like this.
  30. POW_hungry

Season Pass Gold

Back on topic here comes the next system through Cali Sunday/Monday.

FourSquare04 and Born2skii like this.
  31. FourSquare04

It does seem to be the season for North America this year especially for California & Wyoming resorts. So good to see the Cali resorts getting a good one, but jeez they needed it after so many bad years of drought.

POW_hungry likes this.
  32. FourSquare04

Mammoth now officially broken the record for most snow in a month ever with 212" so far and more to come, that is absolute madness on any scale

Stiffler and POW_hungry like this.
  33. FourSquare04

To put it into perspective, Mammoth gets on average 400" per season :eek:

Stiffler likes this.
  34. POW_hungry

Season Pass Gold

Some reports claiming 10-15cm an hour tonight (50-60cm due tonight alone). It sure does look quite buried on the village cam!
    Poor old-mate statue appears to be drowning a slow death in the pow.

[​IMG]

#584 POW_hungry, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    Born2skii, summit_32 and FourSquare04 like this.
  35. Stiffler

Stiffler Active Member

A very noble way to die!

Jellybeans1000 and POW_hungry like this.
  36. POW_hungry

Season Pass Gold

2 feet of fresh overnight for Mammoth. Some crazy footage floating around on social media of homes and cars under 2-3 metres of snow. Looks like Tahoe and even San Bernadino resorts received similar amounts.
    Bear Mtn and Mammoth both shut due to reduced ops.

FourSquare04 likes this.
  37. POW_hungry

Season Pass Gold

Possibly week of the season for West Coast, Pac NW & Rockies resorts this week, with a stable pattern across most of the US resorts, thanks to a solid blocking pattern (would a 1056hPa High over the Rockies do ya?). Blue bird days aplenty.
    [​IMG]
    Next system not due until around next Wednesday, where it may impact Pac NW.

38. Wardy

Wardy Well-Known Member

This. If you want lots of freshie days, don't go to Canada in January. You may get lucky, but typically not. But Canada in January still has a multitude of charms; the scenery, the vertical, the pitch, the people, the village life, the towns, restaurants, wines, etc. Bluebird days in Canada are great days to be alive. All of which makes Western Canada in January an especially good family ski holiday option IMO.

FourSquare04 likes this.
  39. FourSquare04

Would I be right in that Alaska is getting absolutely puked on going off this map @POW_hungry

POW_hungry likes this.
  40. FourSquare04

Wooly must be starting to get pretty buried, we need some pics to see how much of him has been covered

POW_hungry likes this.
  41. FourSquare04

Best I could find from a quick search was this - not sure of the year:

[​IMG]

42. FourSquare04

IMO best place in Canada to be during January is Whistler, best chance for decent dumps of snow coming in off the Pacific. The interior / rockies just gets way too dry and mo fo cold.

43. POW_hungry

Season Pass Gold

...Looks like an old shot?
    TBH I am not so sure there's been much of a chance to photograph it de-iced... But Mammoth Posted this over the weekend.

#593 POW_hungry, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  44. Chowder11

Chowder11 Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

What everyone else has said is 100% correct for Canada in Jan and usually extending into mid Feb also before the snow returns in March, but so do the warmer temps and risk of rain systems.

Rockies resorts Jan and Feb are absolutely stunning, however a 10cm falls is a serious dump for that time of the year.
    But the snow stays cold and dry so the piste both on and off stay in excellent shape even weeks after a snowfall.

If you want clear blue bird days, you will be guaranteed them Jan-Feb. Bu8t it can get seriously cold, seriously cold.
    But also mid week the crowds are absolutely minimal.
    I was there in early Feb last year, we were lucky enough to get a 10cm "dump" on a Tuesday night which cleared to bluebird the next day on the Wednesday and the lifts were ski straight on all day. So the positive about being a toruist skiing the internal rockies mid-week is the insane lack of crowds.
    We had a 40cm midweek dump while we were in Whistler on the same trip and the crowds were insane, 15-20min minimum wait all lifts on both Mountains, pow was tracked out mid morning.

Mctavish, Stiffler and Claude Cat like this.
  45. POW_hungry

Season Pass Gold

It certainly appears that way.
    Nat Geo stuck this post up yesterday which certainly suggests it's coping a hammering by the 950 Low anchored over it yesterday/today... More to come by the look of it, and you can blame the blocking high/split in the jetstream for it's lingering nature.

46. Wardy

Wardy Well-Known Member

Certainly does get cold inland. Warming huts are a blessing. Whistler is great, and shit, and often both at the same time!

Stiffler and Chowder11 like this.
  47. FourSquare04

Mid week is typically when all the seasonal crew / locals will have their days off so that's no surprise to see huge lines for lifts, plus it is Whistler - you're pretty much guaranteed crowds all the time anyway! Kinda why I didn't really enjoy the place, too hectic

Stiffler and Chowder11 like this.
  48. Chowder11

Season Pass Gold

Agree, if you can handle crowds and agro locals, Whistler is all time.
    If you dont like tourists and agro locals go inland.

I must point out, the locals are only agro on Pow days, other times they are great people.

blowfin and Wardy like this.
  49. Chowder11

Season Pass Gold

I have noticed over the years of visitng Whistler the tourist numbers have grown also. There is just more and more people every year. Have always been there about the same time end of Jan start of Feb so its not a time of the year thing.

I remember mid-week pow days 7-8 years ago with very small crowds. Last few years the pow days are just unbearable.

Im the same as you, i dont have a great tolerance for crowds, people turn into absolute dickheads.

50. FourSquare04

Yep it sure does seem to be getting more and more popular every year, lucky that they keep putting in more lifts and opening up more terrain!

Chowder11 likes this.