Niseko 2016-17

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Hyst, Jun 16, 2016.

Tags:
    Tonester

Tonester Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

I LOVE that beer. (Yebisu) I have searched far and wide back home for it to no avail. My current, at home, favourite is Sapporo in the tall silver can. Noticeably different to the bottled version.

shabu_shabu

shabu_shabu Active Member Season Pass Gold

You have discerning taste. I understand the big cans are brewed under licence in Vietnam and the 330ml bottles BUL in Adelaide by Coopers. Similar with Asahi Super Dry. 500ml cans in Japan, 330ml bottles in China.

LMB

LMB Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

You'll have to eat at Tsunami in Mosman Park when you're next in Perth. The boys were drinking Yebisu there on Friday night.

They've also got an INCREDIBLE selection of Sake. The owner, Brett, goes on a Sake buying trip each year and comes home with shipping containers of exceptional Sake - which he wholesales Australia wide as well.

Decent Wagyu too.

Tonester

Hmmmm...many years ago I discovered Sapporo Black beer, amongst other black beers. I loved it. I found the only supplier/distributor in Australia was in Perth. For the life of me I can't remember their name right now. Last time I looked no search returned a distributor for Yebisu in Australia. Maybe I didn't look hard enough :confused:

LMB

Brett is a friend of my brothers. My Japanese tutor works at Tsunami also. When I'm back from Japan I'll find out for you if he wholesales Yebisu or where he sources his from - no gonna promise to do it in the next 2 days before I fly out - coz ya know that's not gonna happen LOL

:thumbs: Tonester likes this.
    Any

Any Active Member

I havent been inside the 1000m hut for years, but I thought it only had hot chocolate.
    ... actually who am i to judge. a liter of hot chocolate sounds pretty great for lunch!

Tonester

Thank LMB! No rush....'cause I'll be tasting some of that sweet Yebisu in a few weeks anyway.

:thumbs: LMB likes this.
    Olgreg

Olgreg Dedicated Member Season Pass Silver

What's in that hut @dmz ?
    Despite many trips I have never been inside.

shabu_shabu

shabu_shabu Active Member Season Pass Gold

Haven't been there for a while but that is my recollection. Some type of steam bun available? As you said, a hot chocolate and a combustion stove for warming is pretty good when the early signs of hypothermia are kicking in is hard to argue against.

dmz

dmz Dedicated Member

Discovered that the 1000m hut actually had no lunch. A few snacks and coffee but that's it. So had to slum it once again at Boyoso.
    What an incredible day. I have never seen Niseko and surrounds like this. After the cloud cleared at lunchtime we had a complete blue sky with Mt. Yotei in full view!!!!!! Got some amazing photos. This is soooo un january like.
    Lifts -
    That Niseko gondola is so long that my son fell asleep.
    The Ace Quad 2 has the back perfectly positioned - normally chairlift back either dig into your spine or are way to far back.
    Ace pair 3 - awful back but also the no safety bar is just so reassuring.
    I miss the announcement at the top of Hanazono 1 - 'The hood will open automatically' - dont know why its gone.
    King Quad 2 we call the Richmond lift. You'll know what we mean when you see it (oh and you know something about AFL).
    Apparently snow arrives tomorrow night and doesnt stop for a week.

dmz

dmz Dedicated Member

No snow overnight, grey skies and visibility OK but not up the top (from our apartment). We are awaiting the long overdue dumps.

dmz

dmz Dedicated Member

Just about to walk out the door and its started snowing big, soft fluffy flakes!

Chondro

Chondro Dedicated Member Season Pass Gold

Top lifts will be closed due to wind today anyway I'd say.

Snows starting now, id have a lazy morning and go in the arvo if I was you

blutek

blutek Dedicated Member

How long are the lift lines at the base?

dbc33

dbc33 Active Member

Re yebisu beer, if in Sydney mascot Liquor use to have it but at $10 a 500ml bottle grabbing 6pk starts to hit the hip pocket a little too much.

dmz

dmz Dedicated Member

Four seasons in one day. Started with snow and poor visibility. Visibility started to clear and by lunchtime you could almost see Mt. Yotei. The temperatures rose. I swear it was above zero it was so bloody hot today. Snow and ice melting everywhere. Cold front to hit tonight I here - not a moment to soon.
    Great news: I did hear the announcement at the top of Hana 1 again 'the hood will open automatically'.
    If you want to hear the most annoying song ever written, go to the Co-op in Kutchan. They play this jingle over and over that is so annoying that I just had to record it and use it as a ring tone. And if you do go to the Co-op, do not miss the bakery treats - it's a bit of a guess what's in some of them but they are incredibly yummy surprises.
    Planning on doing a day trip to Otaru some time this week as I hear they have awesome and cheap crab and I love trains and havent been on the Kutchan line yet.
    Finally getting to the Onsen tonight. Then dinner somewhere...

Chondro

If you want some dinner recommendations in kutchan let me know?
    Otaru food is amazing. Select your seafood and have it cooked infront of you.

Yeah temps got high today, hopefully this snow is about to arrive

dmz

dmz Dedicated Member

Thanks - Dinner recommendations in Kutchan would be great.

Chondro

really good hotpot place just down from teh train station, The road leading straight into it as if you walk out the front door of the train station and keep walking about 200m down ill get some pjotos of it tomorrow.
    Cant miss it tho, has sumo pictures everywhere inside.

Ill get some photos of places tomorrow for you as im hell bad with names

travelislife

travelislife Dedicated Member

Am in Otaru for 4 nights at the moment, best seafood in Japan which is saying something!

Currently 1 degree and changing between sleet/snow/rain on the drive back from Teine.

dmz

dmz Dedicated Member

Any recommendations for lunch? I hear the market is good.

dmz

dmz Dedicated Member

Light snow for most of the evening. Hopefully a starter for better to come....

Fonty

Fonty Active Member

Otaru Beer House, on the canals. Not at all Japanese if that is what you are after, more German. Nice setting, great food and service. Apparently, the owners stalked the brewer from a 5th gen German brewing family, he also studied whiskey in Scotland (if I remember correctly the story). The Sumo restaurant is called Ryougoko. The owner (ex Sumo wrestler) and his wife serve the chankonabe hotpot. Delicious and great value!

Fonty

Fonty Active Member

Oh and let the snow begin....last night in Tokyo on our way up tomorrow morning :nerd:

LMB

LOL
    Looks like PB wasn't the only one calling the Niseko Now reporter Mr Negative.
    There's a nice little "the truth hurts" rant on all the Now reports today.

dmz

dmz Dedicated Member

Looks like about 10cm overnight. Very dark grey this morning although doesnt appear to be windy. Not snowing this morning but Im expecting it to start any time soon .

travelislife

Just walk along the main 'old town' strip. Plenty of places to eat.

dmz

dmz Dedicated Member

Bucketing snow just as I am walking out the door :)

:thumbs: Olgreg likes this.
    dmz

dmz Dedicated Member

Another day of everything - snow, sun, wind. To be honest though there is a fair amount of 'Australian' snow out there. By that I mean Ice, gravel snow, slush and bare patches. This morning before everyone got there was awesome with a bit of overnight powder but it was so little that it didnt last long. Still waiting for decent snow...

travelislife

Awesome day at Kiroro today! About 10-15cm overnight. Boot to knee deep fresh lines to be had through the trees. Bit of wind about but snowed on/off for most of the day. Car had about 15cm on it to be cleared off at the end of the day. Good fun!

Chondro

Just finished a night ride.
    Snowing nicely on mountain- tracks filling in.

Did the annupuri gates today. Lots of holes. Beware

dmz

dmz Dedicated Member

Yep - seems to be plenty of snow this evening - lets hope it doesnt stop.

tdc

tdc Active Member Season Pass Gold

Anyone have any restaurant options out of the hotels at Kiroro?

travelislife

The burger was good at the Sheraton (at the mountain base) today for lunch. 1200Y including chips and soup. Just around the corner of the main food hall. Needed a break from the standard Katsu Currys of the last week.

Considering it is only 2 high end hotels in the middle of nowhere your restaurant options are limited to what they have! So it is more what type of cuisine you are feeling like! Sushi, Izakaya, Western, etc.

:thumbs: Hyst likes this.
    tdc

tdc Active Member Season Pass Gold

Thanks, was hoping for some local Izakaya, but as you say, our options are limited.

dmz

dmz Dedicated Member

More fresh snow overnight - looks like about 10cm - and still snowing lightly.
    Off to Otaru today to give my legs a rest.

travelislife

From where we drove (from Otaru) there appeared to be pretty much nothing between Kiroro and the city pretty much, so that would leave just the hotels. It would be a long drive. There is no town at Kiroro. Don't know if there is anything the other way. The road is generally closed from 7pm-7am I think anyway.

Any

Any Active Member

wow i havent read them in years.
    a report published at/after 8:30 may as well be released in 2020. too late to be useful.

pedub

pedub Active Member

Undies

Undies Part of the Furniture Season Pass Gold

Chondro

Decided to hit Niseko village today to escape the crowds. Right decision. Face shot city. Knee deep in parts, fresh tracks right up until 11:30 just came in for lunch at soba noodle master near Annapuri

:thumbs: Froff Life likes this.
    Ofmontreal

Ofmontreal Active Member

I feel like Annupuri was a good choice for January this year. With a bit more snow I will hopefully be happy between moiwa and Annupuri ski resort. Undoubtedly the crew I am with will want to venture over to things like strawberry fields even though that will require a hefty ticket. Hopefully I can convince them to climb the Miharashi hill.

Chondro

When are you coming?
    Beware in the annupuri gates- lots of holes yesterday. A lot of shrubs too

Ofmontreal

Ofmontreal Active Member

I'll be boardable from this Sat afternoon for a week. :D

Chondro

Should be ok hopefully fills in, just be cautious in the gates eh

travelislife

Epic day here today at Sapporo Kokusai! Knee deep fresh lines all morning, so many face shots have to stop to wipe the goggles to see where I am going. Has been snowing non stop all day. Will be interesting to see how much on the car when we leave. Time to go smash the last hour and a half.

:thumbs: pedub likes this.
    sourmash

sourmash Well-Known Member

Heading to Sapporo mid next week with options of Kiroro, Teine and Kokusai (others up/back from Niseko?) for two days - which two resorts? We are intermediate to advanced skiers and boarders and keen on gates.

pedub

pedub Active Member

I'd chose Kokusai and Teine

Kiroro and Kokusai are very close to each other so the conditions are similar, but they face different directions. Kokusai is quite sheltered from the N/NW winds so can be nice on a windy day. I always felt it was very calm there on most days I visited.

Teine seems to get snowfalls less deep, but I think its worth a visit for terrain. On a clear night looking out over the city is really cool.

I found Kiroro had too many ropes everywhere and could not be assed with the registration process for the gates. But if you can get out the gates I hear it can be amazing.

Teine has some gates which are super fun and steep

Kokusai has no gates but you can head out of bounds skiers right at the top of the gondola, there is a nice ridge with open glades. Small traverse out which I found OK on a snowboard if the track has been cut. Under the gondola is the other good spot there.

:thumbs: travelislife likes this.
    Hyst

Hyst Active Member Season Pass Gold

One of your countrymen hit a tree rather hard today/for you yesterday I heard, was taken away by pistepatrol - hope he soon gets better.:(

dmz

dmz Dedicated Member

It's hard to say how much snow fell overnight, there appears to be alot of it around! Snowing lightly this morning and there appears to be some wind around so expecting some lift closures. Will get out there to enjoy the fresh stuff soon!