Niseko 2016-17

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Hyst, Jun 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. LMB

LMB Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Id want that waist deep compacted on top of the snow snakes I think...

Chondro likes this.
  2. Mike Pow

Mike Pow Dedicated Member

Glen Claydon photo today

[​IMG]

Chondro, LMB and Ramenman like this.
  3. Mike Pow

Mike Pow Dedicated Member

Glen again, this time from Kiroro

[​IMG]

4. christina

christina Just Registered

Ffdg

5. Hyst

Hyst Active Member
    Season Pass Gold

6. christina

Hi, anyone know where I can get discount to niseko united lift pass?? White liner give small discount so wonder where I can get s deeper discount, thanks

7. Hyst

Hyst Active Member
    Season Pass Gold

Don't think there is much discount, rather they charge higher for teaching and now taking pro-foto-taking. :(
    Have you tried your accommodation?

8. christina

Hyst, thx. My hotel even charge higher than over the counter!!

9. Hyst

Hyst Active Member
    Season Pass Gold

If you are more specific on dates and duration maybe somebody who knows better could have suggestions?:thumbs:
    As I come from Europe I rather look at other discounts going there.:whistle:

10. Any

Any Active Member

ive seen a few discounts for 1 or 2 day passes, not much for longer, and certainly no discounts for hourly passes.

in order of best deal: season pass (if youre doing a season of course) > internet hourly pass > 50 hour pass > day/week passes.
    dont get day/week passes, get hourly passes instead. they are far far better and more economical. probably still better even if you had a day pass discount.
    internet pass is better than the 50 hour pass, its more flexible with 10,20,30 hour options instead, however you need to order it before you arrive and they sell only a limited number of them so they may be sold out already.

the hourly passes are so good because you always gain a little bit of time here and there, and it doesnt matter if you stop skiing early or have a long lunch.
    examples:
    - 9 am get on lift (1 hour starts) .. unlimited runs .. 9:59 get on lift, do one more run, 10:15 get on next lift (2nd hour starts now, so you gained 15minutes).
    - stop for 1 hour lunch, you're not charged for that time.
    - stop after 2 runs, you probably only spent 1 hour of your pass, not a whole day pass wasted.
    downsides:
    - that you cant (legally) do anything with the left over hours when you go home.
    - "i cant do just one more run with you because that will cost me another hour, bye". boo you cheap ass!

#110 Any, Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
    Hyst likes this.
  11. bullet

bullet Well-Known Member

You can get yokoburi pack from convenience store in Kutchan (711) Y5900
    For 8hr ticket with Y800 lunch ticket.

Hyst likes this.
  12. rmerikle

rmerikle Just Registered

Greetings!! Arriving Niseko day after Christmas. Emotions all over the place since the snow reports seem to be all over the place. Biggest question that I can't seem to find answer to is when do the gates open? Are we close? Far ways off? I am going with a tour so assume they will take me to lots of good places, but I am from Seattle and frequent Whistler quite often. I am not sure what to expect in comparison. Would love to hear thoughts....

13. LMB

Season Pass Gold

Gates will progressively open once patrol believe that they are safe. That includes having enough snow cover over hazards.

They open and close through the season for various safety reasons. If they are closed, respect it.

If you are with a guided group, don't worry, they'll find you fun. There are plenty of offpiste inbounds trees to explore if the gates aren't open.

In past years I recall them opening last few days of December, first week of January. But it's totally dependent on conditions/snow cover and potential dangers.

Any likes this.
  14. rmerikle

rmerikle Just Registered

Sorry to push so from what you know of this season so far would you say the above holds true? Are we at least moving in that direction? I am a big snowboarder and love big bowls and it looks like the good ones are beyond the gates. Here in Seattle/Canada people get killed all the time cruising the trees and trees in general scare me.

I am looking for terrain like the photos a few posts up. I will need to pack extra undies if that is what I am in for. :p

15. travelislife

travelislife Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Do no worry about snow. More than anywhere in the world I have skiied this place puts it on more often than not. Though you obviously get the odd 'dry day'. Questioning now for January is nearly irrelevant, there is another 15 potential days of snow between now and then! There is Japan snow reports aren't reliable like most US/European ones.

Froff Life likes this.
  16. rmerikle

rmerikle Just Registered

Thank you. Yes it seems the snow reports are very unreliable and yes here in the states/Canada the reports are very reliable. Not use to this and driving me crazy.

17. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

The only ones I've seen are numbered Niseko United discount tickets that they hand out pre-season (in this case, in the Tokyo ski shop area), but only for 8 hour tickets. The discount is from the normal 8hour 6300yen, down to 5700yen.

However, seems to me that if you get a Niseko United 1 day lift pass for 7400yen, you are not getting any extra value over an 8 hour pass (6300yen), if the normal hours are 8:30am - 4:30pm. Does anybody know why they bother doing this?

18. Sandy

There is usually so much snow, that it's not so important looking at snow reports.

If you want to know more about forecasts, go to the Weather Forum for the Japan season:
    http://forums.ski.com.au/xf/threads/japanese-snow-season-2016-17.76805/page-9

Or snow reports for Niseko:
    http://www.snowjapan.com/japan-daily-snow-weather-reports/niseko-now

19. Any

Any Active Member

niseko has its own microclimate, forecasts will only give you a hint of whats coming. most of the forecasts are for niseko town or kutchan, both 5-10 minutes drive away. they get completely different weather.
    but the day after christmas tho ... thats a pretty early time to be trying to hit the annupuri bowls. i wouldn't be so sure that the gates will be open.
    most of the trees aren't filled in yet, with creeks and onsen holes still well open, and the heat the last two days and rain today and tomorrow is only going to damage it more.
    gate 8 and strawberry gates arent open yet, i was doing them the other day, its skiiable if you're ok with tight trees and with a few small hazards. but gate 5 and 1 look like a real mess, with shit everywhere still and you may as well bring a machete to get through it.

most of niseko is below the tree line. above tree line gets too much wind and its icy packed garbage.
    the annupuri bowls are filled with trees for example. there are some open patches, but nothing like the huge open bowls that ive skiied in canada.
    the trees here are mostly japanese aspen i believe, not conifers like usa/canada. this means that there's almost nothing at ground level, so you can easily ski between them. means no tree wells either.
    the photos youve seen are in bounds, on the sides of runs and in the trees. if you catch fresh snowfall you can pretty much guarantee youll be hitting similar stuff, regardless of open gates/etc. any guide should know the place well enough to take advantage of which trees (warning that there are many guiding companies with staff their first time ever in japan even, sadface).

Vermillion and LMB like this.
  20. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

7400Y for a day lift ticket? Tell me that includes lunch.

21. LMB

Season Pass Gold

What @Any said.

Trees are pretty safe (unless you hit one), I'd be more worried about invisible from above glide cracks which is something that has been a problem in the past. Read the Nadare reports, talk to people who've been out there, take notice if they're talking about glide cracks and avoid them.

Stop overthinking it, snow/gates wise. There is fantastic stuff inbounds. Honest. You will have a fantastic time. There is already a heap of snow, and it's really the first week of January that the tap tends to turn on.

How long are you going for?

22. travelislife

Season Pass Gold

Normal hours are until 8:30pm usually.

23. LMB

Season Pass Gold

No. It doesn't.

Does it include Nighta Sandy? I think you need to buy a multi day pass to include the nights... but maybe it does.

24. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

7400Y not including lunch and not including one of the best things about Niseko (hitting fresh in the dark)? Please tell me this isnt true.

25. ojisan

ojisan Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

I didn't realise Niseko day tickets were so expensive these days....

26. LMB

Season Pass Gold

27. ojisan

Season Pass Gold

Factor in the exchange rate & you are within eyesight of australian prices

Vermillion likes this.
  28. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

But not for Australian snow. Which is a good thing. I just checked my prices from last season, the most I paid was 4700Y including lunch for a day ticket. At the local hill (takatsue) if you are part of the members club (free to join) the price after 6 days is 2500Y day inc lunch.

29. ojisan

Season Pass Gold

I can't remember what I paid a day at Niseko when I visited all those years ago, but the most I can remember paying for a day ticket was at Naeba, including the Dragondola and the ticket was either 5200 or 5500 yen.... and the exchange rate was on par.

Vermillion likes this.
  30. Sandy

Ok, that's it!!! It includes night skiing. That's the difference!
    Fine print: "All day tickets are valid until end of night skiing on the final day of the ticket."

However, it's just a little misleading, IMO. Niseko United 1 day lift pass for 7400yen, doesn't say anything about night skiing, so if you were a noobie, coming to Niseko for a week, you'd just go for 7 day for 44,600yen, even if you had no intention to go night skiing. (6371 yen/day, more than the regular 8 hour ticket)
    And there's no listing for a 7 day/8 hours a day ticket, for example.

LMB and Vermillion like this.
  31. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

It's no surprise then that they are looking for discounts. Most expensive for me last season was Appi by a long way Y5600, but I got a bus & lift deal which was not much more than that.

Edit: Just checked my notes - return bus from Morioka to Appi Kogen plus lift pass was Y5800. Not bad when the bus one-way I think around Y1000. I think that deal even included ski hire but I didn't use that. Would have been better if it had included lunch instead.

#131 Heinz, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    LMB and smitty484 like this.
  32. Sandy

Yeah, there's a heap of cheapness to be had in Japan!!!! :D

LMB likes this.
  33. smitty484

smitty484 Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Im still shocked at Y7400 per day.

Vermillion likes this.
  34. LMB

Season Pass Gold

It's certainly gone up a lot in recent years. Without too much lift infrastructure or on hill investment. Just supply and demand I suppose.

I've not bought Day tickets for a long time however. Last 3 years was the 50hr passes. However this year I'll be buying a 7 day and a 10 day pass as I get them for 50% of the price with the new Niseko Owners Club. PB did the numbers and thinks it will work out cheaper. May as well take advantage where I can!

Chondro likes this.
  35. Sandy

Yeah.... and no option to buy a multi day /8 hours a day ticket, still leaves you with 6371yen/day on a 7 day pass.
    Amazing really!! I was expecting maybe 5800/day.

36. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

¥5,600 for Seniors (over 60)

Hyst likes this.
  37. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Dont other resorts have seniors free?

38. Froff Life

Froff Life Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Zao not even close, seniors = 4,400 a day!

Hyst likes this.
  39. Heinz

Heinz Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

Don't recall seeing seniors free, although I think I've heard of it. I have seen several where cut off is 50 or 55. Tomamu & Amihari come to mind that I have used. I think it was Y2000 at Amihari from memory.

Vermillion likes this.
  40. travelislife

Season Pass Gold

I don't believe people should be comparing the Niseko United pass price with most of the other resorts discussed.

Should be comparing 4900Y for the 8 hour Hirafu/Hanazano pass to be closer to 'like for like'.

LMB likes this.
  41. LMB

Season Pass Gold

That is true.

42. Any

Any Active Member

is why i recommend the 10,20,30 and 50 hourly passes (which doesn't include the 8 hour ticket btw).

43. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Rubbish. You pay to ski the mountain, the size and opening hours are irrelevant. If that's the case the 1000Y I paid to ski a 2-lift hill with no one else on it in the middle of nowhere in Gifu is the steal of the century. Have a look in AUS, the size of the resort and the lifts on the resort mean nothing to the lift ticket price (aside for a couple of bucks here and there).

44. travelislife

Season Pass Gold

Of course the size and opening hours are relevant! Otherwise why would 8 hour tickets exist? You as a consumer get different volumes of product at a different price point.

Chondro, Froff Life and Hyst like this.
  45. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

Absolutely you do, but that only applies for the resort in question, not as a comparison across all resorts. There are ski hills that have a mens and ladies day, with deeply discounted tickets on those days, as well as other weekly promotions, do they get included in the value too? No IMO. The benchmark for myself, is what is the price of a lift ticket if I rock up to the ticket counter and buy one? I've never seen anything over 5900Y in Japan until today, when I found out through this thread Niseko is 7400Y.

46. travelislife

Season Pass Gold

No not comparing specials and deep discounts. Just 8 hours for 8 hours! Why compare 12 hours (which the price you are quoting is) against 8 hours at another resort? You can walk up to the counter and buy a full day ticket for less than you are quoting.

47. pedub

pedub Active Member

Don't see any reason to buy the United pass at Niseko.
    Do you really need to ski the entire area in 1 day?
    At my accom they always had plenty of United passes and available because no one bought them and they always sold out of the Hana/Hirafu passes. Hana/Hirafu is plenty for 1 day.
    The groomers on Annapuri and Village are boring, only the Annapuri gates are worth skiing.

48. dmz

dmz Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Only 12 days till I get to Niseko and it's looking rather sad. Appears to be one of the worst Decembers on record.
    Hopefully Jan will be a blinder!

49. Crispy013

Crispy013 Dedicated Member

So many worry warts this year...its Niseko....it will snow. Just enjoy the conditions as they come.

50. Sandy

They don't even mention that. For example, some places, it may say seniors 50-64. That means 65 and over don't pay.