Question New sleeping bag query

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Moondog55, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Moondog55

Moondog55 Well-Known Member

I need a new sleeping bag for a Northern hemisphere trip
    Has anybody here have personal experience of either the Western Mountaineering Kodiak in either of its iterations or the Valande Shocking Blue neo??
    I'm after something a little warmer and more versatile than my J&H Ultra for a winter trip to Canada and Alaska
    I have down gear to sleep in when it gets cold so I'm picking the -18C comfort point so I can use it here after the northern trip

2. dawooduck

dawooduck Pool Room
    Season Pass Gold

#2 dawooduck, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  3. Moondog55

It is a good bag but a bit small and not warm enough for where I want to be. I am warned to expect extreme tempertures of -55C and average nite time lows of -35C

dawooduck likes this.
  4. DJM

DJM Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I have a WM Bison and it's bombproof. If you are worried about quality and durability... don't be.
    Only you can determine if the bag is suitable temp wise and I reckon with your past experience you should go close to picking the right bag off the shelf. Go warmer if you're not sure, unless you're hauling for weeks and need to go light.

Plans for a fixed camp?

POW_hungry likes this.
  5. Moondog55

The Bison is an awesome bag from looking at the webpage.
    One of the reasons I am selling my WM Tamarack is to upgrade to a ligher warmer WM half bag
    I am looking speciffically at those bags which are cut big enough to double up in/wear a down suit inside. Either of those bags I mention would be good bags for an Aussie winter ski touring
    My plans are for touring but with some fixed camps. At least one tentative trip will be a fly in , sled to the end of a long lake and camp for a few days then sled across to where the plane would pick us up. leaving most of those details of planning to a mate in the US. Ontario has several long skinny lakes that lend themselves to this sort of trip apparently and every year there is a deep winter gathering north of Sudbury in Ontario to which I have a invite and a mate has family in Alaska and wants to tag along if I go there.

The Plowking and DJM like this.
  6. Kletterer

Kletterer Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

7. Moondog55

A bit small internally to wear clothes in and that is the exteme rating not the comfort rating unfortunately.
    Good value but not suitable for Alaska or Canada in winter.It is as warm as my current bag which weighs 990 grams.
    That Trestes would be a really good beginners snow bag tho

Kletterer likes this.
  8. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

If you pasd through Vancouver on way
    https://www.taigaworks.ca
    I got one there years back.
    No frills, function over fashion

9. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Mister Tee on snow shoes Dedicated Member

My " Exped comfort 800 long " is a very warm duck down sleeping bag that is dependably warm for snow camping in mid winter at Mt. Bogong, Mt. FT , The Bogong High plains and Mt. Stirling etc.It has enough room to allow extra layers/clothes to be worn to bed.It has a negative 18 survival rating and a negative 9 C. comfort rating. It is not going to work at negative 35 C. I tried out such a bag , a Macpac Annapurna I think it was. I crawled into it in the shop. It was like going back to the womb!. It was very bulky and a gnarly snow only bag.

#9 Mister Tee on snow shoes, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 4, 2017
  10. Moondog55

I just googled your SB Mister Tee, it is about the same as rating my current bag although my bag is much lighter due to no zipper
    From memory the Macpac Annapurna is too small to use down clothing and a half bag inside it and really is't any warmer than my current set-up. I wear an XL to XXL in jackets myself so I need a lot more space than somebody who wears Medium to Large
    Feedback on other sites seems to indicate that the WM Kodiak is one of the few bags suitable as the outer in a double bag set-up

11. Moondog55

I may not bother with a new sleeping bag after all. I've been talking to people over there and i think I will just save the $1000-; use what I have with a LW synthetic quilt over the top. I have been thinking about an Extra-Large Enlightened Equipment Enigma Apex, just trying to decide on the lightest weight of insulation needed to ensure comfort

12. POW_hungry

POW_hungry Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

13. Time

Time Active Member

PHdesigns.co.uk is where i would go for what you want.

14. Moondog55

Mont bags and other equipment are very good quality but for some reason they do not seem to fit my body shape, too narrow in the chest and too big in the legs and they are not cut to use full down clothing inside when it gets really cold so not quite so versatile

15. Moondog55

PHD simply refuse to provide the information I think is needed to make an informed decision, I asked about loft; internal dimensions etc and got no answer and as they do not EN test their bags I'm reluctant to trust the assurance that they actually provide the warmth needed when they won't give me the loft figures/insulation thickness. I have size 13 feet so I need a large footbox, the WM Kodiak has a large footbox

16. The Plowking

The Plowking Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

Did you check out my taigaworks link a few posts above?

17. Moondog55

Yes I did.
    Looks to be well made and reasonable prices too. But after consideration and talking to experinced winter trekkers I think an oversized synthetic over-quilt is a much cheaper and more versatile option

The Plowking likes this.
  18. Time

Time Active Member

I find PHD is best to get on the phone with rather than email. Surprised to hear they haven't been much help to you, I've had the opposite experience.

19. Peagreenboat

Peagreenboat Active Member

I still love my Mountain Hardware Universe (as it has an expander zip), and is -18C. I now have two which I paid too much for as once-used second hand but couldn't decide on size so got another and I'm still undecided. In fact I think I'm in love with them both, it is possible to sleep in two (ok, I'm a weirdo)....I couldn't get on in the Mont either. I hated the sensation of the fabric and my necks too long..

20. Moondog55

I've decided to go another way entirely.
    Basing my decision on advice from some experienced cold weather campers and ski tourers in the colder parts of the USA & Canada I have ordered an APEX overquilt from Nunatak.
    It won't be cheap because of the stupidly high cost of postage or Ultra lite, but it will give me a very flexible system, adding 10 to 15 degrees to whatever I use under it and good for summer on its own
    I have placed an order for an Extra Wide, Extra Long with a 52 inch footbox using the 3.5 ounce fill.
    nunatak will be adding in a pad sleeve on the base to hold my wide thick winter combo mattress system

https://nunatakusa.com/quilts-and-j...wn_arc_style_footbox/gamut_full_zip-no_thanks

The Plowking likes this.
  21. Peagreenboat

Peagreenboat Active Member

Be great to hear how that goes. My booster is a thin $4 coles polarfleece and a hot water bottle. The fleece is good for the camp kitchen as a nanna rug. Be good to hear more about how you find the quilt, I've not seen any of the quilts here in oz, so be great to hear how you go.

22. Moondog55

While we have some good quilt makers here in Oz none of them make oversized units, which is why I went with Nanatuk. It won't be this season due to my buggered hips and the long wait for surgery.