Myokokogen 2012/13 thread: links, cams, info, etc.

Discussion in 'Japan' started by M_G, Nov 25, 2011.

Ppk

Ppk New Member

Re: Myokokogen 2012 thread: links, cams, info, etc.

Im thinking of coming Very last minuted, any word on the the forcast for the next week or 2?
    M_G

M_G Dedicated Member

More snow this weekend Ppk, then a few cloudy days. In two weeks not sure. Last March was awesome after a Feb lull so hoping there's a repeat! Keep your eye on the weather forecast here - http://myokokogen.net/weather.html
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
    cams

cams Active Member

15cm overnight, still snowing today down to Myokokogen. As I see it now it's a balmy 1.3 degrees which will drop this afternoon.

Big cold snap forecast for next 24-48. Should see heavy snow hopefully.
    skichanger

skichanger Dedicated Member

More snow today. Not sure how much but it was enough to need to dig the path to the front door out again.
    malibu

malibu Active Member

Improvement opportunity for 2012/13 season

Move the front door to the first floor [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
    skichanger

LOL! There are plans for some stairs that would probably be buried in winter!
    M_G

M_G Dedicated Member

Second floor? [​IMG]
    claydough

claydough Member

Hi guys , after 3 trips to Niseko and still madly in lovewith the pow, I want some reason to go to Myoko. However wife is a every second day skier who is looking for day spas and other BS. But happy wife , happy life so can the various areas provide these services and allow me and my son to bog in. She likes to wander the village as well. TIA. CD.
    TropicalPow

TropicalPow Dedicated Member

Do it for your self and your son claydough.
    Myoko is fantastic.
    MarkGC

MarkGC Dedicated Member

For the non skier there is splenty to do in Myoko. Looking at the snow, sleeping, walking in the snow, eating, taking pictures of the snow, bathing, playing with the snow, talking to other people as they head out to ski ...
    skichanger

Yep all the way to the 2nd floor though hopefully only the first flight will be buried but you never know!

Went to Tokyo today and it was snwing all the way. Surely this is not normal or does it snow everytime we want to go anywhere? The other 2 times we left Myoko the trains were not running due to too much snow.
    skichanger

You missed doing a circuit on the shuttle bus.
    M_G

M_G Dedicated Member

A couple of laps up and down Akakura and she might a bit bored claydough. Plenty of easy day trips to be had - Zenkoji Temple, Snow Monkeys/Shibu Onsen, Takada Castle, ice fishing on Lake Nojiri, etc. Check out the options at http://myoko-nojiri.com
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
    skichanger

Nagano on the train makes a good day trip as well. 2 dept. stores near the station. I liked the food section in the basement of Tokyu. You could also go the other way on the train on another day. Not sure where would be good to visit though. MG could probably help you with that.
    M_G

M_G Dedicated Member

Down that way there is Takada Park and Takada Castle (reproduction) skichanger. HORDES of shopping/restaurants in and around Jusco (get off at Kasugayama and walk about 15 mins or get a bus from Takada Station). You can also go down to the coast at Naoetsu - though not much to see during winter. There is also stuff like the ski museum and remains of Kasugayama Castle.
    These should hopefully keep her busy claydough
    http://myoko-nojiri.com/sightseeing.htm
    http://myoko-nojiri.com/myoko_tours.htm
    http://myoko-nojiri.com/shop.htm
    Junior

Junior Active Member Season Pass Holder

Hi all, haven't posted on this forum for a while...was in Myoko Kogen from 11th Feb - 20th Feb so thought I'd post a few observations.

We rode 8 days in the area, I think one at Suginohara, one at Seki, one at Iki...(however you say it) and the rest in Akakura. We stayed at Akakura Annex, which I would recommend. Affordable, comfortable, helpful staff, good location. Made good use of the hotel's outdoor onsen.

We had a mix of conditions, but for most of the week we rode trees in at least knee deep snow, and could always find untracked areas. One day we rode Seki and it was heavy heavy snow all day, chest deep in places. It was incredible. One of the guys in our group witnessed a slide which he was almost taken out by.

We tried a few restaurants along the main street in Akakura, mostly positive experiences. Spent every night at Skate Bar, which was a lot of fun. The staff there are super-friendly, they are open late every night, and you can meet some interesting characters in there at times.

Would definately go back again, in fact maybe even next season. I'll work out how to upload a few photos.
    smackies

smackies Dedicated Member

Fun spot.

Fish hats, skateboards and I somehow won a DVD.
    skichanger

Today it is raining, sigh!

We went to Ikenotaira today. The bottom chair was not running. Does anyone know why? Is it a tempoaray thing or more permanat or just not busy enough on weekdays? Also only 2 chairs were running. ??? is this normal or just because of the wind? It was a bit windy but not really bad.

We had hoped to ski the terrain parks and work on someone's jumps. All the jumps were closed. Again, does anyone know why? Are they open on the weekends? The boxes and rails were open just not the jumps, sigh!

We skied 1 run, had lunchwhile we waited for the bus and went to Akakura. The gondola was not running. My first day skiing here we got stuck in the gondola for an hour as it was on wind hold, so we took it as a sign and we came home.

Sigh. I hope tomorrow is better.
    M_G

M_G Dedicated Member

Just the time of year I would say. Fewer numbers arriving, particularly on week days, so cut down costs by closing some lifts/chairs.
    skichanger

They ran shuttle buses up to the first operating lift all day.

So do you think they are likely to open the jumps? or will they keep them closed till the weekend?

The three jumps in the top park are pretty good for us (well not me but the mogul skier) and it would be great to be able to use them. Though they are probably a bit big for the standard of skier and boarder we saw over there so we can understand them being closed.The ones in the top terrain park at Akakan are not as big nor do you get going as fast and we have not seen any other skiers cope well with them and only a few good boarders.
    M_G

M_G Dedicated Member

Drop by MSS - they probably know the score skichanger.
    skichanger

After 2 months in Akakura we are home. We were completely overwhelmed by the amount of snow. We had many non-skiing "adventures" but also lots of good skiing. Probably the best thing was the complete lack of lift queues.

One of our goals was for the mogul skier to get to do front flips. On our last day he finally got the chance as shown in this pic in the snow report for 14/3/12.

[​IMG]

We are very grateful to Tom and Nozomi at Myoko Snow Sports for the help they gave us which went way beyond instruction and ski hire (and the best hire skis we have ever had).

Even though we are a bit traumatised (nothing to do with skiing) we are keen to go back next winter.
    M_G

M_G Dedicated Member

Must be nice not to be 'camping' anymore!

Figured that was your young mogul skier as soon as Matt put the photo up. Nice one [​IMG]
    skichanger

Yep! Sure is "nice" to have lots of hot running water, more than 2 electrical appliances running at once, TV, no snow to move, etc.

Damien and Matt seemed very pleased with the pics they got of Will. The yellow jacket helps as well. I think they are pretty keen to see what they can do next year especially if he has some new tricks by then. And next season we will not be camping but will be organised so we get a lot more skiing!
    Heinz

Heinz Part of the Furniture Season Pass Holder

hmm, I probably wouldn't be rushing to book that trip to Kashmir then. [​IMG]
    M_G

M_G Dedicated Member

M_G

M_G Dedicated Member

And that's a wrap...

2011/12 discussion ended. Bring on 2012/13!
    JoeKing

JoeKing Part of the Furniture Season Pass Holder

Thank you players, umpires and ball boys.
    skichanger

So bring on 2013! Who apart from my lot are going to Myoko Kogen?
    M_G

M_G Dedicated Member

I've re-started the list on Page 1 skichanger. We arrive mid-Dec too so must catch up. Not going to be around in July are you?
    skichanger

Yep we should catch up.Not sure exactly when we will be there as a lot can happen between now and then.

Re July, maybe as we need to get some work done. It just depends on other things like banks, money and the mogul skier's schedule. July and August are a bit hectic for us here as he skis over 50 days and needs transporting. Roll on next year when he is 17 and will be able to drive!

I have just sent you a long email with a few questions.
    Dave6

Dave6 Active Member

We are in. January 10 to 25. Staying at the Central Hotel.
    Slim

Slim Active Member

+2 for jan 25-30 [​IMG]
    malibu

malibu Active Member

+ 6 from Dec 29 to Jan 5
    BofSki

BofSki Dedicated Member Season Pass Holder

+2 for at least a week sometime between 4/2/13 and 22/2/13. Probably Hotel Alp again.

Only flights booked at this stage - can you tell [​IMG]
    M_G

M_G Dedicated Member

All entered. Slopes are getting crowded this year. [​IMG]

Another Dave Barry fan Malibu [​IMG] Cool +1
    skichanger

Finally uploaded some pics from my phone. Someone posted a pic of an overhang that fell and took the roof with it. Don't think it was this one but it gives you some idea of the damage done to some of the buildings. When this happened we had walked by, gone into Myoko Snowspaorts for less than an hour. Came out and there was this pile of rubble in the street and a gapping great hole with some guys already fixing it. This is after the temporary repairs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Don't worry - last winter was the most snow for over 30 years so any damage likely to happen, happened then.
    Junior

I'll be there 10th December - April with 4 others.

Cannot wait!!!
    skichanger

Heading over next week. Will be interesting to see it all without snow. Will try and post some pics.

M_G You should do an updated list here rather than on page 1.
    Junior

skichanger, sounds great. Look forward to the pics, and interested to know how much action there is around Myoko during Summer.
    skichanger

Junior are you a friend of Ryan's?
    M_G

M_G Dedicated Member

Limited internet for me at present - sitting in the Myokokogen library to access the wifi. Will try at update list in next few days.

If you're into hiking, biking, water sports, etc., Junior there's plenty to do. Otherwise the place is pretty quiet. Next Saturday is the big fireworks at Lake Nojiri.
    hotsaki

hotsaki Active Member

Can someone tell me what skifield the Hotel Windsor is at.Their website says its a 5 min walk to Gondola but not where it is.
    Arrigato in advance.
    malibu

malibu Active Member

Akakura Kanko or Akakan - where the red roofed hotel on the slopes is you see on all the pics
    skichanger

The Windsor is closest to Akakura Champion. It is a bit confusing because there are 2 Akakura resorts. And Akakura Champion is also called Akakura Kanko (actually the big hotel part way up the mountain, Akakan and Shin-Akakura. The other one is Akakura Onsen. It doesn't have a gondola.
    To get a better idae where things are look at this map
    http://myoko-nojiri.com/hotels/akakan_resort.htm
    There is also a free shuttle bus with a stop outside the Windsor that will take you to 4 main resorts in the area.

We had dinner at the Windsor several times last winter. Nice place, great staff.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
    Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

Here's a map which shows Hotel Windsor and the Gondola, it's about a 5 minute walk down the hill from the Akakura Kanko Gondola. http://www.myokosnowsports.com/pdf/akakura_village_map.pdf
    hotsaki

hotsaki Active Member

Danke for that.One more thing while I think of it.Do you have to go the town of Myoko to find bars and restaurants or are there some close to the Windsor and if so kow far ?Can you walk?
    Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

There is a bar and a restaurant inside the the Hotel Windsor. And the Windsor normally has a big Australia Day party with the place packed full of Aussies. The rest of the restaurants and small bars are up the road in Akakura Onsen (see the above map). But remember there is only a handful of bars and restaurants, this place is NOT big on night life.
    M_G

M_G Dedicated Member

We discussed the Windsor and location a few pages back. Check these maps out hotaski

Akakura Onsen

Akakan Resort

Windsor is easily walkable in good weather and on steady legs. In a blizzard or with too many drinks maybe not (speaking from first hand experience!).
    hotsaki

hotsaki Active Member

Thanks again.We are happy with that.After 8 years of Niseko somewhere a bit quieter would be good.No drunken bogans waking you up at 4.00AM screaming in the street!Or being ambushed and king hit as I was.