Music on the hill. Via speakers on lift towers, buildings etc

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Donza, Mar 21, 2012.

Nowada

Nowada Active Member

I am male I cannot do more than one thing well at a time. When I ski piped music is noise, nothing else. When skiing on an uncrowded hill blessed with the good stuff its just perfect the way it is. If I wanted to listen to music I would take my Ipod, or go to the pub.
    Piste Again

Piste Again Addicted Member

It was a movie before it was a TV show. But you're probably not old enough to remember [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
    Donza

Donza Pool Room Season Pass Holder

I remember the 70s. Yeah I'm old
    SnowAndrew

SnowAndrew Dedicated Member

There was a proposal for music on the Perisher FV terrain park recently. Did that end up happening?
    LozMan

LozMan Active Member

[

AC/DC use a song format that has produced way too many songs that all sound the same. Some people can put up with that but those people are musical retards who would be happy to hear the same song 100 times a day, or a few AC/DC albums as there is not much difference.

If AC/DC were a car manufacturer, lets say holden for example this would be a wrap up of their car making history.
    1974- HQ kingswood.
    1984- HQ kingswood.
    1994- HQ kingswood.
    2004- HQ kingswood.
    2014- HQ kingswood.

See where I am going?
    Sorry if you are a massive AC/DC fan. They do have a few good songs and did great things back in the day but they have a hundred or so songs nobody really needs to hear.

To those who I offended please dont throw an empty beer bottle at me from your torana whilst wearing a bintang singlet, footy shorts and thongs.
    [/quote]
    Me-I don't like the new guy [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
    ODNT

ODNT Addicted Member Season Pass Holder

I remember music being played @ hukuba 47, Goyru & Niseko all being enjoyable. Although I do remember it was really loud @ Hanazono around the park area ,didnt last for long going past + you had hoods on the lifts going past .
    Overall I enjoyed the music in japan, I was surprised as its all in english & its all good.
    Piste Again

I think the problem surrounds the word "good". What one person percieves as "good" others will be annoyed by, sometimes enough to take their business elsewhere.

If you haven't already, check the poll I posted on this ( here ).

35% of the respondants preferred no music at all with only 3% saying the quiet would turn them off a resort. 19% wanted 80's rock but 8% might go somewhere else because it was played. 17% would like Triple J but 11% might go somewhere else if it was played. There was a smattering of support for some other styles but they were all more of a nett turn-off than a positive.

It's hardly a convincing argument to play music if you're going to put off as many or more customers than you attract.
    Sh4d0w9

Sh4d0w9 Active Member

I also loved the music they played out at RC, but then again I love my hip-hop. I found I couldn't really hear it from the runs on either side.. Just when I was on the chair. Gave us something to sing along to when the chair stalls. I can't use iPods when I'm riding, I just get disoriented because I can't tell if there's anyone behind me.
    Heinz

Heinz Part of the Furniture Season Pass Holder

Well Hakuba & Niseko is hardly is a representative sample of japanese resorts. Just the ones with the most foreigners.
    Being english doesn't necessarily mean it's 'all good'.
    notty

notty Active Member

At perisher last year they were playing christmas charols on front valley for christmas in july, It was shit
    scottik187

scottik187 Active Member

I liked the music in Japan.

I wouldn't call it "good" music, but it was "good" with it on. I quite enjoyed it.
    ODNT

ODNT Addicted Member Season Pass Holder

Thats what I meant generally speaking. Its great to have it than not. I wasnt expecting quality like pearl jam, the doors , pink floyd etc [​IMG]
    Darksidepoints

Darksidepoints Active Member

The local resort where I live in Japan played music on the beginner slope, it seemed to be the same 10 songs all season. Japan (and Korea) seem to only have 10 songs that are popular at a time anyway.

As staff I love if there is music at the lift station. As a customer I don't have, I have headphones.

At Revelstoke we had music at the tube park at night but it was the worst playlist ever, lots of reggee and tripple J hottest 100 random alternative bands, not really family friendly or energetic. I used to point the speaker towards the hotel instead of the tube park where it would give the guests the illusion of a party but I didn't have to hear it.
    Ulmerhutte

Ulmerhutte New Member

Not a fan of music on the hill, which I might have mentioned before, but I do remember a sublime time on Scotts, maybe 4 years ago. It was late afternoon, maybe a little before 4pm, the shadows were long after a classic bluebird day, the crowds had gone, and Chet Baker (I think) was playing on the outside speakers at Dicky Knees. Loved it.

ps: Some time later, I asked the guy who then ran the place why they did not play more jazz on the outside speakers. His response... the "Park Crew" complained. C'est la vie!
    Jackson5

Jackson5 New Member

One of my best memories was at about 3.30pm up at Coronet Peak with some Kiwi dub group playing chilled out tunes (i actually think they were a live group at the beer garden area down the bottom, echoing up the val) - golden sun, mellow vibes. It's always stuck in my mind as a perfect match of music and setting, and everyone was commenting on how awseome it was whether they liked the particular music style or not - it just fit.
    Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler Dedicated Member

I'm not really a fan of music on the hill either, but wouldn't mind it in certain areas, like the park or bars etc.
    Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Dedicated Member

Well if there is to be music then the Bears say they want "Metal".
    [​IMG]
    Dropbear

Dropbear Active Member

+1 for live music. How can a set of speakers and a pop-rock playlist ever compete with that?
    Piste Again

I put up a poll in convo when this thread was running hot. In the end, most people wanted no music and the next preferences were 70's/80's rock and triple J. Anything else (at least anything else in my poll) was more likely to drive away more people that it attracted.
    Dropbear

Dropbear Active Member

Yeah I saw that poll. Voted for Triple J too IIRC. But I don't recall live music being an option?

'Cos if a decently talented group were playing somewhere on the hill, I wouldn't really mind what style of music they played.

When somebody's putting music on, and they ask me what I'd like to hear, then I often like to reply, "something I've never heard before".

For example I don't often like Jazz, but if this were played on the hill on a sunny day then I'd be stoked:

Youtube - Jan Garbarek - In Praise of Dreams

Who here has heard that before? Would anyone like to hear that sort of thing on the hill?

Perhaps if there was a small stage set up on the slopes somewhere where there's lots of people going past, you could have some of Triple J's "Unearthed" entrants playing. Make a small festival of it with a gig in Jindy one night too [​IMG] Just ideas...
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
    Piste Again

I have to say I don't mind it when the River Inn at Thredbo has someone playing. It makes for a nice atmosphere sitting on the deck, soaking up the sun and a powerade with lunch, and it only carries a short distance so if you don;t like it you can escape it very easily.

As a musician I'm not sure I'd like to play up on the hill though. Lots of moisture around would make for an electrical hazard, and the sudden changes of weather that often happen could be a bit of a drama if the amps and drum kit had to be packed away is a serious hurry.
    Dropbear

Dropbear Active Member

I like it when there's a band playing on the deck at Blue Cow.

There they've got a half-shelter on the windward side so it's a bit more useable space then it would be if it were completely open...

Even though the Jimmy Barnes etc covers they usually play are pretty standard, I still don't mind it as I'm coming up Terminal Quad. Still much better than the random tunes playing on the speakers on FV though...
    MisterMxyzptlk

MisterMxyzptlk Part of the Furniture Season Pass Holder

You know that moment in the Mountains when it just begins to snow , and you could swear all the sound has been sucked out of the World and you think you can actually hear the snowflakes drop?
    Your heartbeat is the loudest sound in the Universe.
    I don't think you ever will if you desecrate the slopes with wired noise
    Shame.
    Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room

This. Music at the slopes belong in the park/half pipe with the rest of the knuckledraggers.
    Donza

Two people I used to call friends

heathens.
    Dropbear

Dropbear Active Member

Yeah that's a good moment.

Still, not every moment is like that. Nor does every slope need to be pumped with tunes.

I'd just like to see a place (a bar or cafe or something) on the slopes go for it with random live acts and spead the vibe.
    Donza

I'm all about the vibe
    MisterMxyzptlk

[​IMG]

Don't mind the Vibe on the home runs and around the bases and eateries
    Just keep it away from the gladed runs and( I know its an oxymoron) the less developed areas of the mountain
    Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room

The louder the music is the lower the IQ is. How many times do you start at the top of a pristine run in absolutely silence then get to the runout and you hear the dull thud of dub and as you get closer and closer to the chair reality hits and IQ drops (along with pants to below ass level) and you cant wait to get on the chair and get out of there again?
    MisterMxyzptlk

when I find the guy who invented sub-bass I'm gonna go all Josh Hunt on his ass...maybe even Boomer Harvey!
    Donza

pfft...

maybe a bit of resonance will get you outta the back seat
    Donza

[​IMG]
    "new "scarborough pub..
    Now with music...so much better...
    mx_boarder

mx_boarder Part of the Furniture

Donza

[​IMG]
    looks can be deceiving
    MisterMxyzptlk

Kapow!
    Boom!
    Tish!
    mx_boarder

Oh noes [​IMG]
    skiflat

skiflat New Member

Does NOT look FLAT

BUT

No snow

FAIL
    mx_boarder

Can't see any Swiss Miss or bacon either.
    agentBM

agentBM Addicted Member

Don't worry - it will get there soon. Apparently the price of bacon is safe under the new taxes.