Question MUMC Hut

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Thomas WHiteside, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Thomas WHiteside

Thomas WHiteside Active Member

Gonna do the feathertop and razorback via the bungalow spur with a couple mates soon.

Does anyone know if MUMC Hut gets as busy as Federation Hut?

I'm assuming / hoping it'd be a much quieter place to pitch the tent.

2. Moondog55

Moondog55 Well-Known Member

Depends on the day/week-end but fewer good tent sites at MUMC
    Snow season there are often quite a few people using the big dome

ladycamper likes this.
  3. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Mister Tee on snow shoes Dedicated Member

In shite weather/ heavy snow/ a white out getting from Molly hill junction to MUMC hut can be dicey or nearly impossible.

skifree likes this.
  4. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

should be ok on that little contouring track....I have only had dramas when its icy...and can remember taking a 20meter:emoji_children_crossing: slide in one of the little gullies...

ladycamper likes this.
  5. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Going down the NW spur from MUMC hut to the fish farm is tough. It is very steep.:confused:

ladycamper likes this.
  6. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

not sure of river crossing at bottom...

7. Mister Tee on snow shoes

In spring melt the river crossing at the bottom of the NW spur could be a bit of a challenge:eek:.

8. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

that's what I have been hearing but I have not been up there for decades...and if they aint got a pot belly up there I doubt that I will return either...:p

9. Thomas WHiteside

Is there no pot belly / nectre stove at MUMC?

10. Mister Tee on snow shoes

I have heard that there is no heating device/fire arrangement of any sort at MUMC hut. I have not been out there for a year or two a t least so my middle aged memory is faulty.

11. Thomas WHiteside

You're right! From their website:

'Over time the interior features changed slightly: the sink cabinet is gone; there was once a wood stove in the center of the dome but is now no more, for conservation and environmental reasons.'

I'd just assumed there was a stove because of the chimney in all the photos. How naive!

Stupid MUMC...

12. Kletterer

Kletterer Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

MUMC used to be ( 70s- early 80s) the best spot up there when it had the stove. Old Fedo Hut was a crappy smelly joint with regular Summer rat infestations. N W spur was a more common approach than it is now.

13. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

"conservation and environmental reasons" ........ poor reasoning to remove a little wood heater....

the large Alpine Fires emitted more CO2 in 5mins than that stove could have put out in a century more than likely.....

tokenism at best.....so there are dead trees all over the ridge lines as far as the eye can see these days....

things have gone backwards at MUMC we feel.....:cry:

ladycamper likes this.
  14. Mister Tee on snow shoes

The NW spur track is not well maintained either.

ladycamper likes this.
  15. Moondog55

Moondog55 Well-Known Member

The environmental issues were stupid people cutting green snowgums for firewood and denuding the area around the hut.

16. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

well they must have been pretty stupid cos green trees don't burn real well unless u got something like the lightening strike breakout that stoked around in there a few summers ago and burnt trees down to ground level in the upper part of the gulley running up to the ridge proper...now there must be dead trees all over the shop on the NW Spur....
    suppose they could use windmills like SA to generate power to charge batteries and we could go for renewables up the hill..
    well just a "thought bubble" from the Bears.no body would see a little wind turbine attached to that structure if u put one in...

17. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

Someone would steal it.

18. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Yes , the upper NW spur before and after the MUMC hut is covered in dead timber ready to be turned into firewood.

19. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

on this post from Mr T we rest our case....:cry:

20. Mister Tee on snow shoes

I am heading up there on Monday July 17th. The Ranger said take care crossing the creek. There is NO bridge. It was burnt in 2003 and they have not replaced it.

21. AndrewA

AndrewA Well-Known Member

I'd be interested how long it takes to get to hut from the bottom, and what the altitude gain is. I was last there 35yrs ago, and we climbed at night, but there was a great gully running SW from the summit for skiing, which I'd love to do on skis.

A

22. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

There we go ....somebody can install a new bridge as a memorial to a fallen comrade?
    We will all support a little metal plaque too !

23. Chaeron

Chaeron Well-Known Member
    Season Pass Gold

We have to bring our own pot bellies...

24. Xplora

Xplora Active Member

From memory it took about 5 hours with a winter 4 day pack. I remember starting after lunch and getting there a bit after dark. Much will depend on your level of fitness and how heavy you carry. It is a slog but a bunch of ladies from Harrietville go up it and down Bungalow in a day. It may be a better option to go up Bungalow and across to MUMC.

25. Xplora

Xplora Active Member

But when it was removed there were lots of living trees and boof heads will cut and burn green wood if there is nothing else. I would say that is a good environmental reason for removing it.

26. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Team Bears ain't ganna clear NW Spur unless we can sit around a fire and warm up!

You put back in a heat source and we might make a special effort.

Green wood don't burn even the folk in this forum understand that!

But there should be enough dry stuff after those intense wildfires around there to provide adaquate firewood.

Nice of Chaeron to make an offer to reinstall a potbelly....Good effort we say!

27. Mister Tee on snow shoes

I have gone down the NW spur a couple of years ago. Going UP it is the whole point, esp. with a heavy winter pack. The Bungalow spur is a known quantity and even in effluent weather, it is the devil I know.Starting at about 0930 am it should take until about 2 pm to reach the MUMC hut.I will do as conditions safely permit.

28. Xplora

Xplora Active Member

I think we all can live with that. I have not heard much about the need to clear it anyway.

You put back in a heat source and we might make a special effort.

Green wood does burn once the fire is hot enough. It will burn long and slow once going but it is much harder to get a fire started with green wood.

Yes very true. You are welcome to contact the MUMC and ask for them to replace the fire now there is plenty of wood to burn. The only complaints I have heard about it not having a fire is on these pages. Since it is unlikely you will go there or anyone else (possibly the OP now) who will not go to a hut without a fire then it is really something we should move on from. It appears the question asked has been answered and we can now wait for the report from Mr. T about current conditions.

I had a spare pot belly a couple of years back but may have lost it walking the Long Spur or on the High Plains. I have not bothered looking for it as I no longer want to carry it everywhere with me.

29. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Well I am glad you are coordinating our posts in this free for all forum.Yes we certainly need somebody in charge directing the thread!
    Any discussion of MUMC Hut is relevant to the original OP.

No doubt MR T will provide pics of himself warming his hands on his stove when he reaches MUMC Eddifice.

#29 Ubiquitous Steve, Jul 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  30. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

yes Explora it's all about moving on as you remark...

but with Track confusion and fallen debri it could be a problem vertically!

And Parks Vic are already saying that great care needs to be taken when fording the creek with the damaged bridge.

31. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

No my criticism is valid....it's best to hear all the voices in the forum and not just the ones that you like or suit your agenda what ever that may be.

There seems to be fair criticism as to why MUMC has not reinstalled their pot belly.U can carry on all you like on this but it's fair criticism based on the new environmental conditions found on this ridge line.

You seem to be saying if you don't like the present situation well don't come,don't criticise

Kletter has already outlined that this was a popular route about twenty years ago....but maintenance has been overlooked,neglected,perhaps on purpose to discourage useage.??
    So let's move on and get NW Spur back into a decent condition....makes a lot of sense ...up by one Spur down on the other!Spreading the no of walkers....

#31 Ubiquitous Steve, Jul 13, 2017
  32. ladycamper

ladycamper Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

tent sites around MUMC are very exposed, unless you camp a bit down the Northwest Spur to be among the snow gums there are some spots. Down in the valley along Northwest Spur there's a water crossing depending on water levels possible to jump over the rocks but fording could be needed if water level is higher, last time I went through was in a summer so water level was low I jumped over the rocks.

Re the removal of slow combustion stove in MUMC hut, they must have a bunch of tree huggers in the mob.

#32 ladycamper, Jul 13, 2017
    Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  33. ladycamper

Season Pass Gold

Someones left a big plastic storage container in Fed Hut which is good keeps animals out of the food stores.

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  34. ladycamper

Season Pass Gold

Same getting from Fed Hut to MUMC the track follows the countour of a steep slope then runs along the ridge a bit if icy it would be seriously hazardous but the slope faces north so it should get a decent amount of sun.

35. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Well wish me luck because here I go. It will be character building and I do hope I can get back down via the Bungalow spur.

ladycamper likes this.
  36. AndrewA

AndrewA Well-Known Member

Looks a great weekend to be up on Feathertop......not.

37. Mister Tee on snow shoes

I plan to head up on Monday and come back down on Tuesday.I will check the weather/ forecast for Monday and make plans accordingly . I don't enjoy getting out there in a blizzard.I try to stay safe.

38. Mister Tee on snow shoes

I am still tossing up which route to take on the ascent on Monday. I must admit I am a bit of a girl's blouse when it comes to having a choice of a wood burner in a hut or just freezing my buttocks off. The Bungalow spur up and having a heater at Fed. hut has a special allure. Esp. on a weekday when the hut is not busy. I have said
    " never again" about descending the NW spur, but I might do it anyway. I did n't have hiking poles or ski poles last time I went down the NW spur. They do help save your leg muscles being cooked by fatigue and relieve pressure and weight bearing on your knees with a heavy pack.The forecast for Monday looks like it will be windy, snowing and the Bungalow spur is quite sheltered and easy to follow. I always put safety first comrades.

#38 Mister Tee on snow shoes, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  39. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

Take your crampons & axe for the Fed to MUMC link, it can be treacherous.

More than one MUMC trip up to the MUMC went back down the NW spur after the plan to go over to Fed Hut then down could not be executed due to conditions on the link route.

ladycamper likes this.
  40. Mister Tee on snow shoes

I predict the conditions this Monday on the link route between Fed. hut and MUMC hut will be hostile and treacherous with high winds and very poor visibility. It is because of this that I am opting for the Bungalow spur but I will return another day if not this white season then white season 2018 to ascend the NW spur, hopefully with some fellow trekkers. There is safety in numbers.
    On this solo trip I will be armed with an ice axe, msr snow shoes, kahtoola microspikes and a whippet self arrest ski pole.The snow shovel comes with me on every white season trip , (of course) and I always carry a PLB and an old fashioned mob. ph. with real numbers on the key pad.The mob. ph. often conks out because of the cold.

41. ladycamper

Season Pass Gold

The mobile phone I put in an inside pocket of the shell, or inside pocket of mid layer so it's battery is warmed by the body.

42. Mister Tee on snow shoes

I do that too but the ruddy thing still plays up. I sleep with all my drinking water containers and battery powered devices stuffed into kayaking bags and then put them into my duck down sleeping bag at night.

ladycamper likes this.
  43. Ziggy

Ziggy Addicted Member
    30 Day Pass

Dead timber is part of the cycle of life believe it or not.
    It's a National Park and under the Act ecosystem protection is a key goal.

ladycamper and skifree like this.